Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors who failed to reach their potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

From an Irish perspective, Aidan Quinn, damn good actor but doesn't have a big profile that he deserves. Arguably one of our best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Kathleen Turner seems to have all but disappeared now, but I used to love how she could mix sultriness with a great knack for comedy. Always reminded me of the great comediennes from the 30's or 40's.

As far as I know, she had to start taking steroids for arthritis, which pretty much ruined her looks. I guess without those, Hollywood didn't have much use for her anymore. She ended up playing Chandler Bing's father in friends, for gawd's sake!

Shame, as I thought she was rather a unique actress, with a wide range.
    She was in a season of Californication, brilliant in it too. She's in bits though, and sounds like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

From an Irish perspective, Aidan Quinn, damn good actor but doesn't have a big profile that he deserves. Arguably one of our best.

Liam Cunningham as well i always find his acting stands up and thought he could have been bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Emilio Estevez he seems to have picked up roles in more 'minor' movies compared to his father and brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Emilio Estevez he seems to have picked up roles in more 'minor' movies compared to his father and brother.

He seems to prefer directing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Dillonb3 wrote: »

In fairness Emilio is more reliable when compared to his brother and like somebody else said he prefers directing.

Adding John Cazale to the list who never reached his potential for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Plazaman wrote: »
    A huge amount of "movie" stars from the late 90's early noughties who now are in TV series (and not wanting to sidetrack the thread) but up to a few years ago I thought they missed their potential but the move to the small screen I think it has done them the world of good. Sean Bean as previously stated but also Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), James Spader/William Shatner (Boston Legal), Charlie Sheen (Two and a Half Men...... well use ta), Patrick Warburton (Family Guy / Rules of Engagement), Kiefer Sutherland (24), Gary Sinise (CSI NY), Martin Sheen (West Wing).....I could go on....actually this would be a great thread in itself.

I’m glad someone mentioned Spader – he was in loads of stuff (and always quite good I thought anyway) up until Crash in 1996.
    Then he just seemed to drop off the radar – I know he was in Secretary in 2001 but he never really appeared in any well know movies – I was always kind of surprised that he wasn’t a bigger star.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tom Sizemore has got to be considered one of the worst, was meant to be the go-to action guy, until drink and drugs screwed him up.

Check out his career trajectory:

1995: Heat
    1998: Saving Private Ryan
    2001: Pearl Harbour
    2001: Black Hawk Down
    2002: $windle

It hasn't gotten any better for him since, has been doing TV shows, and is currently filming "Slumber Party Slaughter"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Some of the names mentioned are ridiculous. Tom Cruise was amazing in Magnolia and is a damn fine actor IMO. My pick would be Cuba Gooding Jnr, after he won the Oscar he has been in awful films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

always found aidan quinn to be a very limited actor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I’m glad someone mentioned Spader – he was in loads of stuff (and always quite good I thought anyway) up until Crash in 1996.
    Then he just seemed to drop off the radar – I know he was in Secretary in 2001 but he never really appeared in any well know movies – I was always kind of surprised that he wasn’t a bigger star.

spader is a bit too quirky

billy zane never really went anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Some of the names mentioned are ridiculous. Tom Cruise was amazing in Magnolia and is a damn fine actor IMO. My pick would be Cuba Gooding Jnr, after he won the Oscar he has been in awful films.
    See now, did Cuba Gooding Jnr not just play Cuba Gooding Jnr in Jerry Maguire? Hence his lack of a career in the following years.

And a lot of the actors here could be typecast for a reason. Death/Drugs/Pressures of fame might have put an end to a quite a few potential star careers but some actors listed here probably did reach their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

irishh_bob wrote: »
    always found aidan quinn to be a very limited actor

That's o.k, but i have to ask, in what sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Gulliver wrote: »
    Scott Bakula was great in Quantum Leap. At the time I thought he'd make the jump to the big time, maybe even be the go to guy for sci-fi/action films. But no, he gets lead role on Enterprise and plays it as an unlikeable, gurning, scenery-chewing gimp. I seriously doubt the writers wrote Archer that way.

Bakula seemed to approach the role like he was still Sam had quantum leaped into a Starship captains body and was just winging it , at least thats how i read it.

Cuba got hit with the Oscar one hit wonder curse (one win one nomination one great role) same that happened to Halle Berry, Haley Joel Osment, Jaye Davidson, Kim Basigner, Kate Hudson, Tatum O'Neal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cuba got hit with the Oscar one hit wonder curse (one win one nomination one great role) same that happened to Halle Berry, Haley Joel Osment, Jaye Davidson, Kim Basigner, Kate Hudson, Tatum O'Neal etc

...Marisa Tomei, Mira Sorvino... If we want to talk about actresses not getting a fair shot in film, we'll be here forever. Good to see Kristin Scott Thomas dodging that bullet by double-jobbing in French cinema.

Manchegan wrote: »
    ...Marisa Tomei, Mira Sorvino... If we want to talk about actresses not getting a fair shot in film, we'll be here forever. Good to see Kristin Scott Thomas dodging that bullet by double-jobbing in French cinema.

Marisa Tomei made a comeback (1 win and 3 nominations) and has done ok film choice wise

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The guy wrote: »

Adding John Cazale to the list who never reached his potential for obvious reasons.

The Godfather
    The Conversation
    The Godfather: Part II
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Deer Hunter

That's an amazing filmography and he delivered stand-out performances in every one of them. Despite his short resume he is still regarded as being one of the greats.

So I would see Cazale as having realised his potential, but I would agree that he still had much to offer had he lived longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Marisa Tomei made a comeback (1 win and 3 nominations) and has done ok film choice wise

OK then, I'll trade you Marisa Tomei for Mary Louise Parker, who deserves movie rockstardom but gets left bit parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Loved Christopher Ecclestone in 28 Days Later. Couldn't believe when they said he was the new Dr. Who. He deserved much better in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

irishh_bob wrote: »
    no , just no , o donnell like brendan frazer is a terrible actor

to answer your question OP

i think the most obvious example is mickey rourke

Brendan Frazer is a very good actor.

Loved Christopher Ecclestone in 28 Days Later. Couldn't believe when they said he was the new Dr. Who. He deserved much better in my opinion.

Starring as one of the most revered fictional characters in English Television history and being one of the most watched shows in England is really what I would call not reaching your potential.

A lot of the names mentioned thus far really do deserve a second shot. People like Tom Berenger, Treat Williams, etc strike me as actors who were given a raw deal. Berenger has repeatedly proven just what a fine actor he is but over the past decade he's been reduced to starring in he films such as Fred Olen Ray snakes on a submarine film. Ironically enough it seems that Brenger's decline began after The Substitute and Williams after he took over the Substitute sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Brendan Frazer is a very good actor.

Aye! he was really good in Crash and I enjoyed him in that football flick.. with the Jewish kid brought into the Catholic school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Kumejima wrote: »
    Eric Bana: His film choices since Chopper have been a constant disappointment. Should be robbing Russell Crowe's roles at this stage

+1 on Bana, a tour de force in Chopper, complete charisma and stole every scene.
    But pretty much forgettable in everything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wesley Snipes, back in the early 90s he had the world at his feet..he had the looks charisma on the verge of becoming the biggest black movie star ever even bigger than Eddie Murphy and then....it all went down the toilet. pity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Was gonna say Johhny Depp, but he reached his back in Elm Street...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

fryup wrote: »
    Wesley Snipes, back in the early 90s he had the world at his feet..he had the looks charisma on the verge of becoming the biggest black movie star ever even bigger than Eddie Murphy and then....it all went down the toilet. pity

I think poor old Wesley is actually doing a few years in prison at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

unreggd wrote: »
    Was gonna say Johhny Depp, but he reached his back in Elm Street...

A wild guess here but I'd say Depp is pretty happy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I've always thought Ed O' Neill was an actor who could have done a hell of a lot more with his career. I remember seeing him as Popeye Doyle, in a TV movie based on the character from The French Connection - he was amazing, tough as hell. Everyone dismisses him as Al Bundy, but the guy can act.

Also, Thomas Jane has never really found the right role to showcase his talents. His scenes in Boogie Nights and The Thin Red Line are excellent. I thought he was miscast in The Mist and suffered as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

They've been mentioned before, but Heath Ledger and River Phoenix obviously didn't get a chance to really show what they could do, and I really think it's a great shame about Heath Ledger in particular. He could have been amazing. Very tragic about both of them though.

Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic, but seems a little eccentric and doesn't seem very focused on actually pursuing and realising his full potential. I think his performance in Gladiator is wonderful, and I actually prefer him to Russell Crowe in that movie.

John Cazale did well when he was alive, and was an incredible actor and got some great roles. It's still terribly sad that he died when he did though, just at his peak. Who knows what he could have done had he lived longer.

Charlize Theron has got it, but I haven't seen her in a good movie in ages. I don't know what she's been doing, but she should get it together because she is a good actress, in my opinion.

Advertisement