Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors who failed to reach their potential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Ghandi, he was in that one film and was never seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭LCD

Viggo Mortenson, really thought after Lord of the Rings would have a lot more lead roles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

LCD wrote: »
    Viggo Mortenson, really thought after Lord of the Rings would have a lot more lead roles.
    But he's had loads of leading roles. The Road, A History of Violence, Hidalgo, Eastern Promises, Appaloosa. In fact, I think every role he has done since LOTR has been a leading role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

agreed about Viggo.... with the roles he has taken he has mostly been top of the bill.

He didn't move onto the popcorn blockbuster fare that Johnny Depp is constantly in now a days.

Plus Viggo is as much devoted to his writing/photography etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Tom Berenger - from brilliant performances in Platoon and Someone to watch over me to straight-to-video limbo, more or less.

Also, watch Linus Roache in Jimmy McGovern's Priest and explain why he's been criminally underused since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,403 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well death stopped quite a few actors and actresses

As previously mentioned in this thread

Tupac Shakur

River Phoenix

Corey Haim

and also

Brad Renfro

Brittany Murphy

Chris Penn

Adrienne Shelly

Heath Ledger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Well death stopped quite a few actors and actresses

As previously mentioned in this thread

Tupac Shakur

River Phoenix

Corey Haim

and also

Brad Renfro

Brittany Murphy

Chris Penn

Adrienne Shelly

Heath Ledger
    Don't forget Brandon Lee.
    Or you could argue that Bruce Lee never got to where he could have. Tho he did get pretty big.

After his performances in Terminator 2 and American History X - Edward Furlong should have been a huge star but alas it wasnt to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Tom Cruise, big box office (just seems to have been in a cruise and collect mode for the last twenty years) but very repetitive boring movies

Molly Ringwold, just could never get rid of the teenage type casting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    After his performances in Terminator 2 and American History X - Edward Furlong should have been a huge star but alas it wasnt to be :(
    I can't name another good preformance from him.
    He even managed to play his role horribly in the poorly written crow movie he did.

• Advertisement

kiddums wrote: »
    He even managed to play his role horribly in the poorly written crow movie he did.

Animal Factory, Little Odessa and Pecker

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lisa Nicole Carson (Ally McBeal, ER) went from being the hottest woman on television to never working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

kiddums wrote: »

He was also good in Pecker, and Detroit Rock City in his early career he had a real presence on screen. He had huge potential and I believe wouldve went on to been one of the all time greats had drugs and personal issues not taken over his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Massimo Troisi

Anyone who's seen Il Postino (The Postman) will agree with me I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Devon Sawa always watchable in Final Destination, Idle hands and slackers and who can forget Stan but seriously fell by the wayside afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

i always thought lance henriksen should have been a bigger star,he was great in aliens,near dark,and hard target,and even in small roles like terminator and the omen 2 he always seem to steal the movie.another one would be cary elwes,very charasmatic in princess bride and glory,but some how never got to the big time,its a shame he could have been this generations errol flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Michael Moriarty - The Stuff, Q, and Bang the drum slowly. Great, offbeat actor who was too 'weird' for mainstream Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Michael Keaton - Yes he was Batman, and rightly turned down Batman 3 because of the camp direction it was taking, but I often feel like he has a lot more to give, he nailed the angst of Batman/Bruce Wayne, and was hilariously ott in Beetlejuice. Anything he's been in since (except Toy Story 3) hasn't really made the most of him, or more often it has been down to his poor choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I'll be laughed at...

But I always thought Chris O Donnell had potential. He just mad some awful decisions.

no , just no , o donnell like brendan frazer is a terrible actor

to answer your question OP

i think the most obvious example is mickey rourke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Scott Bakula was great in Quantum Leap. At the time I thought he'd make the jump to the big time, maybe even be the go to guy for sci-fi/action films. But no, he gets lead role on Enterprise and plays it as an unlikeable, gurning, scenery-chewing gimp. I seriously doubt the writers wrote Archer that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Blade Runner has already been mentioned, which made me wonder what happened to Sean Young after that. She was in a few decent roles, but got a reputation as being difficult to work with.

I remember that Edward Burns was tipped for stardom after The Brothers McMullen, and Spielberg cast him in Saving Private Ryan. His career kinda petered out after that, but he now writes, directs, produces and acts in smaller films.

I've been a little disappointed that Lisa Kudrow hasn't done more, for family reasons - I thought she was the best thing about Friends, and films like Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and The Opposite of Sex showed she has quite a range.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Devon Sawa always watchable in Final Destination, Idle hands and slackers and who can forget Stan but seriously fell by the wayside afterwards

He's been doing stellar work on Nikita! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sarah Roemer - AMAZING actress!!!!!!!, wow!...have you seen her Emmy worthy work on The Event?, or dare i say Eagle Eye.....or the astounding acting featured in Fired Up!

Trasesty she's not reached her gong worthy potential!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Johnny Drama :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bnt wrote: »
    Blade Runner has already been mentioned, which made me wonder what happened to Sean Young after that. She was in a few decent roles, but got a reputation as being difficult to work with.

She's also seemingly batsh1t crazy, turning up for the audition for Batman Returns dressed as Catwoman probably tipped the scales that way and killed her career :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dempsey wrote: »
    Johnny Drama :pac:

He'll blow up when Johnnys Bananas comes out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bnt wrote: »
    I've been a little disappointed that Lisa Kudrow hasn't done more, for family reasons

Do you mean you're related to her or have I picked that up wrong?

Bakula is still doing OK. His short appearance in Chuck was brilliant and Men of a Certain Age is pretty good from what I've seen.

Is it fair to list actors who died early like Massimo Troisi? I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought Maria Grazia Cucinotta had great things in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Paddy Considine(Dead Mans Shoes)

Great in The Bourne Ultimatum. And My Summer of Love. And he's been in good things before that too. So no.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

krudler wrote: »
    She's also seemingly batsh1t crazy, turning up for the audition for Batman Returns dressed as Catwoman probably tipped the scales that way and killed her career :pac:
    She desperately wanted that role. Not to take anything away from Pfeiffer, but I actually think Young would have made a very good Catwoman. Burton's version anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Kathleen Turner seems to have all but disappeared now, but I used to love how she could mix sultriness with a great knack for comedy. Always reminded me of the great comediennes from the 30's or 40's.

As far as I know, she had to start taking steroids for arthritis, which pretty much ruined her looks. I guess without those, Hollywood didn't have much use for her anymore. She ended up playing Chandler Bing's father in friends, for gawd's sake!

Shame, as I thought she was rather a unique actress, with a wide range.

Advertisement