Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Cheers for all that. I think Meteor are usually fairly good on updates though so i'll give them another week i think. I mean, they dont put any of their bloatware on their android phones so surely, they should let the update through as soon as they can surely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

it might not be as simple as that, i only bought mine friday in CPW and the assistant told me the europa prob wouldn't get the update to froyo cos the networks would rather ya buy a new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Typical really, although when my galaxy s got its froyo update late last year, they released it as soon as its available to be fair. I might ask them on their forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is the battery on this phone really patethic? I do not have much running on mine, but 2/3 phone calls and the battery is down to 45% straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gimmick wrote: »
    Is the battery on this phone really patethic? I do not have much running on mine, but 2/3 phone calls and the battery is down to 45% straight off.

yup but if you upgrade to 2.2 the battery is HUGELY improved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I find the battery quite good, guess its becayse they put a decent battery for the processor
    Still on stock are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ What do you mean "on stock"?
    yup but if you upgrade to 2.2 the battery is HUGELY improved!

How do you do that?

I am a bit slow with technology :rolleyes:

whoops thought this was the Blade topic >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

^ What do you mean "on stock"?

How do you do that?

I am a bit slow with technology :rolleyes:

this post has all the details: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71748334&postcount=211

on stock simply means you're running the firmware that came with the phone. do the upgrade as detailed and you should see a big improvement in battery life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I find people are quick to judge with the Europa, if you look at posts about the Europa battery, it is usually from users that have *just* bought the phone.

Give it a few days. My battery life has improved after a few charge\release cycles.. let the battery run out totally once or twice, it does improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi all and thanks for the info on upgrading my Europa to version 2.2 (on Meteor). All went well and I'm delighted with the new look and extra features.

However there's one small fly in the ointment. Market Place won't work. When I start it I immediately get a message " Attention - An error has occurred. Please try again later."

I've tried it on Wifi and 3G but no go. Anyone any idea what might be going on ?

I used the procedure linked to by Sam24 on post 140 on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

loaded 2.2 on to my phone this evening and all is well. I tried to download flash player 10.1 and it wont show up in the market. Found a link and downloaded the *apk file but when u tried to install it, it wouldn't. Any of you others have flash 10.1 on there I5500 with fyoro 2.2 on there phone or does this not work on the i5500.

The Bull wrote: »
    loaded 2.2 on to my phone this evening and all is well. I tried to download flash player 10.1 and it wont show up in the market. Found a link and downloaded the *apk file but when u tried to install it, it wouldn't. Any of you others have flash 10.1 on there I5500 with fyoro 2.2 on there phone or does this not work on the i5500.
    Flash 10 requires ARMv7
    The Galaxy 5 has an ARMv6 processor

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Got a Galaxy Europa phone last week and 2 related problems. any help would be greatly appreciated. 1 Credit was being eaten so downloaded apndroid App to toggle onand off data but when i do it says "Tanks for downloading APN On /off.
    This program is a widget and you can add it to yoiur desktop by
    -clicking on the desktop
    -then select widgets
    and then select APN on/Off
    Prob 2 how do you select widgets

i find apndroid is really easy to use, just open the app and tap 3g/edge
    or if ya update to froyo, holding the power button gives an option to disable data, same process to turn it back on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Just wondering if I flash to 2.2 and then an official update comes out will I be able to downgrade and get the official update?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Install JUICE DEFENDER onto to phone and you will notice major improvement in battery length. I installed the free version and big improvement.

I have Samsung Europa Galaxy (Froyo 2.2 Update)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I actually followed the advice of someone here (sorry can't remember user name) and let the battery completely die a few times after I upgraded to Froyo. Huge improvement in the battery now. I got less than a day before now I get over 2 and I use it a lot for the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭masoodsarwar

guil wrote: »
    i think it depends what network you're with and if they are gonna release it, i'm with o2 and they wont release it

ya can download the european froyo and flash it to the phone and its realy easy
    download odin http://www.4shared.com/file/J-WSCJSX/odin_v428_and_ops_file.html and the euro froyo http://hotfile.com/dl/103739297/0756f29/I5500XWJP9.rar.html

make sure ya do a backup with kies first

turn off the phone and pull the battery for a few seconds, put it back and hold volume down, the power and select buttons till a yellow android figure appears, connect to a pc and start odin

make sure auto reboot and protect ops are ticked, click ops and it select it, it's in the same folder as odin
    all the other files are in the second download
    click boot and then select BOOTLOADER_I5500XXJPF.tar.md5
    click phone and select MODEM_I5500.tar.md5
    click pda and select PDA_I5500XWJP9_CL880109.tar.md5
    click csc and select I5500OXXJP3_CSC_OXX_CL832222.tar.md5
    efs doesn't matter

the first box on the top should of turned yellow when ya connected the phone so click start and then wait, the phone might restart once or twice but wait until the yellow box turns blue i think and it says pass

the phone will probably boot in german but look for the settings icon, little blue gear and go into that and look for sprache or spruche and select english

its much better on froyo

I just followed this post and I was able to update my phone. otherwise o2 people were very disappointing and I am a little short in money these days so couldnt go a mobile shop to get it updated ... So i took the chance and I got it. It looks very cool :)

has anyone tried any custom roms, i used this MAD team one, the latest one is faster but i like this better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

I just followed this post and I was able to update my phone. otherwise o2 people were very disappointing and I am a little short in money these days so couldnt go a mobile shop to get it updated ... So i took the chance and I got it. It looks very cool :)
    I did the same just getting used to 2.2 now, for anyone else the password for http://hotfile.com/dl/103739297/0756...XWJP9.rar.html is "samfirmware.com"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone know how to stop apps connecting to the internet without my approval?

I've gone into Settings/Apps/Running Services and disable gmail, maps etc but they just keep re-appearing a few hours later. On Meteor Pay as u go and when its midnight the 69c just comes off my credit every day like clockwork even though there are several days when I haven't used the internet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

golfball37 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to stop apps connecting to the internet without my approval?

I've gone into Settings/Apps/Running Services and disable gmail, maps etc but they just keep re-appearing a few hours later. On Meteor Pay as u go and when its midnight the 69c just comes off my credit every day like clockwork even though there are several days when I haven't used the internet at all.

Check the market for APNdroid.
    Either that or delve into settings > wireless and networks > Mobile network > untick use packet data.

In relation to battery life, i rooted my phone with Superuser and installed Battery Calibration by NeMa.

Did this yesterday and my battery is still charged to 93%

sam27 wrote: »
    In relation to battery life, i rooted my phone with Superuser and installed Battery Calibration by NeMa.

Two days later and battery at 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

Two days later and battery at 70%

how very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Is it worth rooting the Europa?

yes

I was apprehensive about doing it as not fully sure what to expect. I love taking a chance though!!

By rooting it, it allowed me to install apps from market place that I previously could not. I installed this Battery Calibration and the battery time is now at 65% and its installed 2 and half days.

So if you want some extra gizz into your battery life, I would recommend it.

Normally, I would have had to recharge it well by now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

I have updated my Europa to Froyo and have now rooted it.
    What are the most useful rooted apps to improve perfomance and is it possible to install other roms? Have rom manager installed but unable as yet to instal clockworkmod for recovery.

Advertisement