Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BossArky wrote:
    Lying Twist
    no weight - 3x5 ... video of last set to follow

BossArky wrote:
    Deadlift
    155kg - x5, x4, x2 ... aiming for 3x5. Pb

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sunday January 23rd:

Swimming 200m
    ---

Deadlift recovery.

Monday January 24th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    77.5kg - 1x2
    85kg - x4f, x3f ... supposed to be 3x5
    85kg - x4f
    75kg - x6f ... punishment set 1
    70kg - x6 ... punishment set 2
    ---
    EZ Curl
    30kg - 3x5
    ---
    DB Bench
    32.5kgkg per arm - 5f
    30kg per arm - 5f
    27.5kg per arm - 5
    ---
    EZ Bar Tricep Extension
    30kg - 3x5
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 3x5
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x2
    125kg x3f ish ... supposed to be 3x5. Flattened on 2nd and 3rd reps of 1the set. Just racked after that
    105kg - 3x5 ... punishment sets
    ---

Up there with worst sessions ever. Almost recovered from sickness but strength totally gone. Back still in ribbons from deadlifts 2 days ago. Bench rubbish. Squat hopeless. So dissappointed. Depending how Thursday goes I may scrap the entire cycle and start a new one as there is still just enough time (2 months) to peak for raw nationals.

Coach tells me I don't need to get the 2.5kg on my total as I'll qualify via invitational anyway. He was the one who recommended just scrapping the cycle. He also recommended cancelling my trips to Singapore, and quitting work to train full time.

I'd like to get the total before competing... so actually qualify properly. We'll see what happens Thursday.

Thursday January 27th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x4
    65kg - 3x5 ... felt heavy
    ---
    Lying Twist
    no weight - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    135kg - 1x2 ... felt heavy

**consulted coach & scrapped cycle**

**new cycle aiming for Raw nationals March 27th**

Deadlift off 2 inch block
    95kg - 3x8
    ---

Went home a broken man.

Deadlift was supposed to build up to 3x5 @155kg or 160kg tonight, but warm ups showed my back had still not recovered. Talked to coach and got the recommendation to scrap this cycle and instead use the next two months to prep for the raw nationals.

Sunday January 30th:

Swimming in the sea

---
    40 degrees today.

• Advertisement

Monday January 31st: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    30kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    EZ Bar Tricep Extension
    30kg - 3x8

EZ Curl
    30kg - 3x8
    ---
    Speed Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 3x8
    Squat
    60kg - 1x8
    67.5kg - 1x5
    72.5kg - 1x5
    77.5kg - 3x8
    ---

First day of the rest of my life. Well, not exactly.. but first day of a new cycle. Very light and focused on technique. Essentially a deadload. Took it easy on the assistance too.

So, I didn't write much about the implosion of the previous cycle above as I was rather dissapointed. Too many things came together which affected training:
    • went to Singapore for a week which mean moving Monday's heavy bench and heavy Squat to Sunday, and moving the following Thursdays heavy deadlift to Saturday. This totally ruined recovery for the next heavy Monday. It's fine to do this when the weights and light to moderate, but not when they are up near max and aiming for pb sets across
    • got sick in Singapore, didn't eat for 2 days and lost weight
    • didn't sleep much due to being so busy with work
    • bench volume program overlapped with last weeks of heavy 3x5s on both squats and deadlift as cycle was short. 2 hours of benching prior to heavy squats and deadlifts was too taxing

Anyway, I'm back and I'm going to do well this cycle.
    • Squat will peak around 127.5kg 3x5
    • Bench will peak around 86.5kg 3x5
    • Deadlift will peak around 152.5kg 3x5

That's the plan. It may go up slightly depending on how well things go. Squat will be the main focus of this cycle. No bench volume program, just standard cycle. Deadlift should be fine too. Doing the first 4 weeks off a two inch block, which seemed to add to my deadlift last cycle.

85kg in the morning and a bit more on the gym scales. Got the weight back, just need to focus for the next two months and get on with it. Here goes.

edit - and I've widened my deadlift stance. Two narrow before as you can see from the video above ^^. Took much stress on lower back. Wider feels better and gives my knees a nice break (from being hit by the bar)

Thursday February 3rd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 3x6

Lying Twist
    no weight - 3x6
    ---
    Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6
    ---
    GluteHam Raise
    3x6 - one notch off max on both settings

Chin Ups
    bodyweight + 10kg - 3x6

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x6
    55kg - 3x6
    ---

Everything was nice and easy. Feeling recovered more or less. Deep tiredness gone.

Slightly tweaky right lat/rhomboid/back/something from no clue. Maybe slouching at lunch.

Went along with coach to survey the hotel which we ended up booking as the venue for the equipped nationals in July. Brad Gillingham is coming along, so got a suite with a reinforced bed. Fine venue. Just need to go off and acquire the hardwear to run the IT side of things now.

Monday January 31st: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    40kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    67.5kg - 3x6

BB Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    30kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    EZ Bar Tricep Extension
    35kg - 3x8
    ---
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 3x6
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 3x6
    ---
    Face Pulls
    15kg - 3x10

Standing Single Leg Calf Raise (holding 20kg plate)
    3x10 per leg
    ---

Last two workouts have been fine. Would be fun to freeze the weights and reps there and keep it like that forever more. Not too taxing, but satisfying pumpage :pac:

Saturday February 12th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6 ... ultra wide
    40kg - 1x6? ... back in to close from here down
    50kg - 1x5?
    55kg - 3x6 ... nice & explosive

Lying Twist
    no weight - 3x6
    ---
    Deadlift (off 2 inch block) ... well actually off two fat red 25kgs as I was in the main gym
    60kg - 1x6
    90kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x3
    122.5g - 3x6 ... belt-less
    ---
    Standing Single Leg Ham Curls
    20kg per leg - 3x6
    ---
    Chin Ups
    bodyweight + 10kg - 3x6

Decline Situps
    bodyweight - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 3x6
    ---

Another deadlift day done 2 days later than planned due to 5th week long trip to Singapore since September. Tried to buy a few litres of milk up there. Horrendous taste. The bottle stated "100% Australian milk"... but it was nowhere near like Aussie stuff. People were telling me the milk in both Malaysia and Singapore does taste different. It does --> Nasty. Lost a bit of weight again :rolleyes: Spicey food goes through me. All this work pfaffing about upsets eating and training. As soon as I got back to Oz I bought a 3 litre of full fat milk and start guzzling.

Anyway, trained this afternoon after a few hours sleep. Trying to deadlift and squat beltless until program hits the 3x5s (which will be the week after next I think & corresponds with another trip to Singapore .... so again more messing around with training days and food). Hope this beltless training will help build up a bit more core strength.

Deadlifts today were good. That is the heaviest I've went for 3x6s without a belt. Deficit on top, and it didn't even feel that tough. Looking forward to competing at the end of March and setting some new PRs.

Bodyweight 83kg after training and after drinking some milk.

Monday February 14th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x6
    65kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    72.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    32.5kg per arm - 3x6 ... pb?
    ---
    EZ Curl
    40kg - 3x6

EZ Bar Tricep Extension
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    60kg - 1x6
    75kg - 3x6
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    100kg - 3x6
    ---

Was MC at yesterdays competition. More fun than spotting. Less fun than competing.

Training still light on the big 3. Going to horse into the milk for the next month.

I've officially been offered a wild-card entry for the Raw Nationals on March 26th. Just need to reply with the form in my inbox. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Thursday February 17th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    45kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x3
    57.5kg - 3x6

Lying Twist
    bodyweight + 3kg between ankles - 3x6
    ---
    Deadlift (off 2 inch block)
    60kg - 1x6
    102.5kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    122.5 - 1x3
    132.5g - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    1 notch from max on each setting - 3x6

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    65kg - 3x6

Chin Ups
    bodyweight + 10kg - 3x6
    ---

Last week of both 3x6s and block for heavy deadlift. Feel like I'm getting pulled forward onto my toes, but being told I need to sit forward even more. Apparently my arms are too short to keep my back upright enough to have a good starting position. This is accentuated further by standing on the block. Hopefully it will built a big PR at the end of March if I manage not to fall over.

Tried wrist wraps on bench for the first time tonight. Not sure if it helped much as the weight was so light. May have felt sturdier. Might as well acquire a pair and see if it helps on the 100kg bench quest. May also get myself some knees sleeves.

Pulling out all the stops - oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You'll get the 100kg in the Nationals Boss, no problem.

What do you reckon total wise? 430 could happen!

Hey Kev - yeah! Fingers crossed for the 100kg bench with a bit of decent sleep, nutrition and uninterrupted training.

Total wise .... hmmm *scratches head*. Last comp in Nov was 140/97.5/175.

Ideally I would hope that each 2 to 3 month cycle would yield 2.5kg on bench and 5kg on both squat and deadlift per cycle. By the nationals (March 26th) I will have the majority of two cycles complete since Nov.... which could mean something like 145-150/100/180-185. This would give me somewhere between 425 to 435kg.

Chipping away with 2.5kg or 5kg pbs is grand mentally when competing regularly every couple of months. This time around I'm faced with a 4 month gap between Nov 2010 and March 2011. I'm wondering if I should go for the small increments again or slightly larger ones.

Hmmmm..... gonna see how the final 3x5s and then 2x2s pan out.

Sunday February 20th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    77.5kg - 3x6 ... fine

BB Curl
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench
    32.5kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Mini BB Tricep Extension
    40kg - 3x6
    ---
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 3x6
    Squat
    60kg - 1x6
    85kg - 1x5
    *belt*
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6 ... pb for 3x6's. Up 2.5kg on last cycle early Jan
    ---

Supersetted Bench with Curls which helped save time.

Second time using 32.5kg dbs and 40kg bb for accessory. Feels heavy but manageable.

Deadlifts fine and snappy.

Squat fine too. Bit of a jump from last weeks 100kg 3x6, but that's 'cos this is a short cycle ramping up quickly.

Was talking to a sprinter who at 80kg is benching 180kg. I heard about him through some people in the PL club. I witnessed him doing 147.5kg x3, 150kg x3, then 160kg x1. Some dude. Touching chest and good form too. He reckons it took him the past 11 years to build up to 180kg from a max of around 95kg back then. He trains weights just one day a week, out of 6 days training per week :eek:

Thursday February 25th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x5

Lying Twist
    bodyweight - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    125kg - 1x2
    140kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lat Pull down (with Chins grip)
    3x5

Lying Ham Curl
    1x8
    2x5

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x10
    ---

Brought my training gear to Singapore to make sure I got training in and stuck to schedule. On two separate occaisons I asked the staff in the hotel gym if they were ok with me deadlifting. They were fine as long as I don't drop it. They even apologized for not having a platform.

Started off with 60kg. After that set one of the gym instructors came over and apologetically placed a mat under each plate. Then did 100kg. He came back with more mats. 125kg. More mats. 140kg 1 set.... by this time I was almost doing rack lock-outs as the plates were supported by about 50 cushions/pads/mats on each side. LOL. They were helpful though and nice. Hehe.

Squats - again I was "that guy". No squat rack so I got two benches and stacked about 4 plates on each, then balanced the weight on it, got under and started off from a box squat lower position. Almost fell over a few times doing this, but made it through the session.

Delighted to get that session in! Now I can relax when back in Melbourne and not have to fart about squashing heavy deads and heavy squats into 3 days.

Monday February 28th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    77.5kg - 1x2
    82.5kg - 3x5 ... easy. First time using wrist wraps on heavy bench. Felt more stable

EZ Curl
    40kg - 3x5
    ---
    DB Bench
    32.5kg per arm - 2x5
    35kg per arm - 1x5 ... pb & first time ever pressing 35kgs dbs. Felt strong
    ---
    EZ Tricep Extension
    40kg - 3x5
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    85kg - 3x5
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x2
    117.5kg - 3x5 ... first time using wrist wraps for squats. Felt solid. Good
    ---

Solid training tonight. Bench was easy. DB pressing was simple. Seem to have gained heaps of strength. Squat was fine too. Yay for full fat milk. Up to 86kg on the gym scales fully clothed. Want to gain a few more kg in the next three weeks before cutting down to 83kg for the comp on March 26th.

Used a training partners wrist wraps for both bench and squat. It seems to help a lot with stablilty. My wrist wraps and knees sleeves will be delivered on Thursday.

Very happy. Usually attempting heavy training after a week in Singapore is a disaster. This time I went for two massages up there ("stress relief" lol last Tuesday, then sports massage on Friday morning). It may have helped loosen me up. Was so sore on upper body due to that massage on Saturday/Sunday. Now feeling alot better.

Forgot to mention that room service robbed my training shorts last Thursay on deadlift day, so I had to spent 60 SGD on a pair that were too small for the sake of training.

Thursday March 3rd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    40kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x5

Lying Twist
    bodyweight +3kg ball between legs - 3x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    130kg - 1x2
    147.5kg - 3x5 ... felt easy
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (height @max setting, legs @one off max)
    3x5

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x10
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x5

Chin Ups
    bodyweight + 12.5kg - 3x5
    ---

Milk still doing the trick. 3 litres of full fat between lunch and gym.

Deadlift felt light. Technique wasn't great apparently - as always. Didn't get that "head about to explode and neck veins too" max weight feeling.

87.15kg on the gym scales in gym gear.

Good session.

Saturday March 5th:

Surfing in Torquay.

Lower back, glutes and hamstring DOMS was at its peak on Saturday morning. I decided to harness the pain and take it surfing. Beginners class for 2 hours: 10am-noon. Really tiring. Didn't realise it would be so hard. The waves were massive. Coming into to land was easy. Going back out, struggling against pretty sizeable waves was tough work. Now I know why there are no fat surfers.

Will do that again. Good fun.

Monday March 7th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Speed Deadlift

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    85kg - 3x5 ... handy enough. Need to check if that was an equal pb?
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 2x10 ... taking it easy

EZ Curl
    27.5kg - 2x10 ... taking it easy
    ---
    EZ Tricep Extension
    27.5kg - 2x10 ... taking it easy
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x2
    122.5kg - 3x5 ... pb by 2.5kg on 3x5s. Felt handy enough. Not at my max yet
    ---

Always good when you hit a squat pb.

Still not fully recovered from Saturday's surfing on top of Thursdays heavy deads. Happy to have done well on bench and squat today.

Used my own wrist wraps and knees sleeves today for the first time. The knee sleeves feel good. I reckon they must give you something, even though apparently the don't. Knees feel warm, tight and solid in them.

Thursday March 10th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    45kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x5

Lying Twist
    bodyweight - 1x5
    bodyweight +3kg ball between legs - 2x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x2
    *belt*
    152.5kg - 3x5 ... pb for 3x5's by 2.5kg. Felt fine
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (height @1 under max setting, legs @three off max, i.e. very easy)
    2x10

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 2x10

Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 2x5
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 2x5 ... should have been 75kg
    75kg - 1x5
    ---

Deadlift pb. Good. First set was the hardest. Rest were fine. Not at 100% intensity... maybe 95%? This cycle I've cruised up to new pbs on both squat and deadlift, hopefully keeping a bit in reserve for the competition.

Everything else was light stuff.

88.05kg on the gym scales fully clothed.

• Advertisement

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    86.5kg - 3x5 ... easy pb on 3x5s
    ---
    DB Bench
    27.5kg per arm - 2x10 ... taking it easy. Same as last week
    ---
    EZ Curl
    25kg - 2x10 ... taking it easy
    ---
    EZ Tricep Extension
    25kg - 2x10 ... taking it easy
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x2
    127.5kg - 3x5 ... pb by 5kg on last weeks 3x5s. Pb on last cycles 3x5s by 7.5kg
    ---

Took 3+ hours. Gym was busy as everyone getting there last bench and squat 3x5s in ahead of the competition.

I'm very happy with how my stuff went. Bench was easy. Comments afterwards included "put more weight on the bar". Flew through the reps quickly enough without much waiting around.

Squat was a decent improvement. First set was very slow and controlled apparently. Cut the 5th rep a tiny bit high I was told. Comments afterwards such as "should try 137.5kg not 127.5kg", so I guess they looked good.

Video'd the 2nd and 3rd sets to see what they were like. You'll see the video's soon. Not as good as the first set but nowhere near failure on them. Coach reckons my competition attempts should go as follows:

Squat: 135 / 145 / 150+
    Bench: 95 / 100 / ?
    Deadlift: 165 ish / 175 ish / 180 ish

BossArky wrote: »

Squat
    127.5kg - 3x5 ... pb by 5kg on last weeks 3x5s. Pb on last cycles 3x5s by 7.5kg

Squat was a decent improvement. First set was very slow and controlled apparently. Cut the 5th rep a tiny bit high I was told. Comments afterwards such as "should try 137.5kg not 127.5kg", so I guess they looked good.

Video'd the 2nd and 3rd sets to see what they were like. You'll see the video's soon. Not as good as the first set but nowhere near failure on them

Thursday March 17th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 1x3
    60kg - 1x1
    62.5kg - 1x1
    65kg - 2x2

Lying Twist
    bodyweight - 1x5
    bodyweight +3kg ball between legs - 2x5
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x2
    *belt*
    150kg - 1x1
    162.5kg - 2x2 ... pb for 2x2's by 7.5kg... as haven't bothered with doubles in 9 months! Video of 2nd set later
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise (height @max setting, legs @1 off max)
    3x5

Decline Situps
    bodyweight + 5kg - 3x5

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    75kg - 2x2
    ---
    Lat Pull Down
    Setting 4 - wide pull up grip
    Setting 5 - wide pull up grip
    Setting 6 - narrow chin grip
    ---

Everything was handy. Couldn't remember what my previous deadlift cycle 2x2's ended up on. I went looking back through my log... and was suprised to see that I haven't actually finished a cycle all the way up to doubles since June last year! WTF?
    • June 2010 I did 155kg 2x2
    • September 2010 I was knackered from a trip to Singapore so skipped the 2x2s
    • November 2010 I peaked on fell apart on the last 3x5s so went for moderate 3x5s on the last week instead of 2x2s
    • Feburary 2011 I just skipped the last weeks and started a new cycle due to sickness

So, there you have it. My 2x2 story.

Anyway, 162.5kg 2x2 was easy. Coach reckons I should start the comp on 167.5kg, then 180kg, then ?? Video later.

Deadlift
    162.5kg - 2x2 ... pb for 2x2's by 7.5kg... as haven't bothered with doubles in 9 months! Video of 2nd set later

The second set:

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    77.5kg - 1x1
    85kg - 1x1 ... paused
    92.5kg - 2x2 ... paused, easy pb
    ---
    Speed Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 3x5
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    *belt*
    110kg - 1x1
    125kg - 1x1
    135kg - 2x2 ... easy pb
    ---

Bench easy. Last time I did doubles I got 90kg for 1, then 2.

Squat easy. Think I last did doubles at 130kg, so 5kg increase.

Gently loosing a bit of weight to fit into the 83kg category. Was 86kg in the morning a few days back. This morning I was 84.7kg. I'll try and get there without anything too drastic.

Roll on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Seem to be making great progress lately, well done. DLs seems to be going quite well, any tips? Have lost the love for it (and therefore progress).

Hey Sangre - personally I think deadlift is my worst lift and progress is slower on it than on the others. Apparently my arms are too short which makes me hunch over too much when starting from the ground :pac: In theory that should mean short arms = bigger bench.... so I should be benching more than I am.

To combat the short arm effect on deadlifts I have been doing deficit deadlifts off a two inch block for the first 5 or 6 weeks of each cycle. These help build power off the floor when back to standard deadlifts. If you don't have a block you can try putting a thick plate (.e.g 20kg or 25kg) under each foot. Just make sure they don't slip when you are lifting.

Last night one of my training colleagues and I did exactly the same bench and squat doubles as we are fairly evenly matched on those. His deadlift best is 215kg though and mine is just 175kg. He is also about 5kg lighter than me. A lot of people I train with who are in and around my bodyweight have 200kg+ deadlifts.

Some of those guys swear by "big block" deadlifts. The big block is about 5 inches tall (compared with the "little block" of 2 inches). You start off from the ground and get to lock out. For each successive rep you go down and stop about an inch above the ground, so you are keeping the stress on your back all the way through the set. Apparently that works a treat for increasing your deadlift. Maybe I'll try it next cycle.

So:
    • 2 inch little block = start from a dead stop each time touching the floor
    • 5 inch big block = start from the top, don't touch the floor at all between reps and take a big breath at the top

Be very careful if you try any of these. Don't over use them and have someone watch your form.

Drinking a gallon of milk a day helps too :)

Thursday March 24th: Deload: Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x5

Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    Decline Situp
    2x8
    ---

84kg in the nip when I got home. Managed a day of light eating (tuna & peanut butter) and loads of water.

For the record here is my bodyweight over the past few days first thing in the morning:

Tues 83.8kg
    Wed 84.6kg
    Thurs 84.6kg i.e today

Should be fine for 83kg by Saturday mornings 11am weigh in once I stop the water intake 12 hours beforehand.

Coach put together my attempt card plus warm ups. It will go something like this in the comp:

SQ: 137.5 / 145 / 150
    BP: 92.5 / 97.5-100 / ?
    DL: 167.5 / 177.5-180 / ?

Squat - I'll be very happy with 150kg and don't see why I shouldn't get it. Squats felt great recently.

I was telling him I wanted to go for 100kg on the 2nd bench attempt and thought I should therefore start on 95, before going for 100. He reckons start with 92.5, save the tiny bit of energy and then get 100. Fine.

Same for deadlift. I want to hit 180 on the second attempt. He reckons see how things go and decide on 177.5 or 180. Then whatever on 3rd.

Saturday March 26th: Powerlifting Australia Raw Championships (Hawthorn, Meloburne)

Great day.

I visited the venue the night before with my own weighing scales under my arm for comparison purposes. My home scales was reading 500g less than the competition scales, so instead of having to loose 100g from Friday night to Saturday morning, I needed to drop 600g. Had two medium sized spoonfuls of porridge for breakfast and that was it.

My category (83kg) was the third of four sessions. I was announcer for the first session. Talking the audience through 2 hours of lifting ended up being a good way of cutting the last few bits of weight and I was suprised to weigh in at 82.48kg with half a kg to spare. Very happy to have managed to get down from 88kg in just over a week.

Warm ups went like this:
    Squat: 60kg x5, 85kg x3, 105kg x1, 125kg x1
    Bench: 60kg x5, 65kg x2, 75kg x1, 85kg x1 (last one paused)
    Deadlift: 60kg x5, 100kg x2, 130kg x1, 150kg x1

Competition lifts went like this:

Squat
    #1: 137.5kg
    #2: 145kg ... 5kg pb
    #3: 150kg ... 10kg pb

Bench Press
    #1: 92.5kg :eek:
    #2: 95kg
    #3: 97.5kg ... equals pb

Deadlift
    #1: 167.5kg
    #2: 177.5kg ... 2.5kg pb
    #3: 180kg ... 5kg pb

Squats went well. Opened with 137.5kg no probs. When I suggested 145kg next coach remarked "at least". Smashed it. For the 3rd squat it was a toss up between 150kg or 152.5kg. Played it safe and went for 150kg for a 10kg pb. Delighted.

Bench Press - lol. My 92.5kg opener saw me distracted with my wrist wraps and telling the centre spotter to stand well back as I set up. By the time I got onto the bench I forgot to wait for the judges "start" command and just went ahead and started. Pressed it out no probs but got 3 reds for preempting the referees commands.

Failing my opening bench on a technicality wasn't in my plan and panicked me. Prior to the comp the plan was to bench 92.5/100/100+..... but now that I had failed 92.5kg I was in danger of bombing out if I went for 100kg and didn't get it. My right tricep was slightly tweaked on Thursday night from overly zealous close grip benching so I made the decision to go for 95kg on the second instead of 97.5kg. Not sure why I choose 95kg... I should have been more confident and went straight to 97.5kg.

Anyway 95kg on the second was fine. I then went for 97.5kg to make sure I at least equalled my previous best of 97.5kg. Slightly dissapointed not to have had a crack at 100kg. 97.5kg was alright - locked out the left arm first of all, then the right. This seems to happen when my bench gets heavy. I probably would have had 100kg in me. Just wasn't thinking clearly in the heat of the moment after failing the opener.

Deadlift - I was confident I would pick up a pb here. 180kg was the goal. Started with 167.5kg - handy enough. Next went for the 2.5kg pb with 177.5kg which was fine. Then played it safe and went for 180kg instead of 182.5kg. It was a bit of a battle, but may have had 182.5kg in me. Delighted with 180kg anyway.

Finished up with a total of 427.5kg which is up 15kg on my last competition in November 2010. Pretty happy with that. The whole day was just 2.5kg on the bench away from perfection!

427.5kg gave me 5th place out of 6 competitors in the 83kg category. The gold and silver medalists were a good way ahead. Third to sixth were close enough. The gold medalist squat 190, benched something big, and deadlift 262.5kg for an Aussie record.

My main battle was with my two training buddies from my gym. I beat one of them on both squat and bench (by 5kg on both) but lost out to him by 30kg(!) on the deadlift. My other training buddy beat me by 7.5kg on the squat, I beat him by 5kg on the bench, and he beat me by 22.5kg on the deadlift. The saying "the meet don't start till the bar hits the floor" was apt for me this competition. My deadlift sucks compared to them! They deadlift 210 and 202.5kg at the same bodyweight as me. Serious work needed on my deadlift to be competitive.

Spent the evening getting a live streaming trial of the 105kg+ category working. Had up to 37 viewers watching it at one stage which was a great success.

Very happy. Videos in a day or two.

• Advertisement

Competition lifts went like this:

Squat
    #1: 137.5kg
    #2: 145kg ... 5kg pb
    #3: 150kg ... 10kg pb

Bench Press
    #1: 92.5kg :eek:
    #2: 95kg
    #3: 97.5kg ... equals pb

Deadlift
    #1: 167.5kg