Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax MPEG-4 DTT Receiver & HD Satellite and SD DTT MPEG 4 Combi Receiver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harry1

Is it possible to buy the Triax TR112 yet?

I know it is currently undergoing testing for saorview certification, but I saw some guy advertising one for sale online. I didn't think they were available yet.

And, is there any information publicly available on the certification progress of STBs? I.e. What is being certified currently? Timescale if when actual boxes will be available? Rather than the fluffy statements that there will be much more variety in April/May.

It would be good to know what is definately going to be available and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you generally won't here anything till it's passed and announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

harry1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy the Triax TR112 yet?

I know it is currently undergoing testing for saorview certification, but I saw some guy advertising one for sale online. I didn't think they were available yet.

And, is there any information publicly available on the certification progress of STBs? I.e. What is being certified currently? Timescale if when actual boxes will be available? Rather than the fluffy statements that there will be much more variety in April/May.

It would be good to know what is definately going to be available and when.

From our information, I don't know how that lad you mentioned is selling it. It seems as if he has been selling for months according to the comments on the listing on adverts dot ie. To the best of our knowledge the first batch of these are arriving in Ireland next week. So I don't know where this lad has dug them up from. We will have more info on our blog in the very near future on the TR112 Saorview Approved Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

We will have more info on our blog in the very near future on the TR112 Saorview Approved Box.

Its a little premature to call it an approved, this has run into major problems with certification as mentioned by the RTE reps at the ISAA meeting.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Its a little premature to call it an approved, this has run into major problems with certification as mentioned by the RTE reps at the ISAA meeting.

The Triax TR112 has been approved since yesterday. It will be listed on the RTE website from Next week. The first supplies will arrrive into Ireland next week with a large quantity expected in about 3-4 weeks time.

There is still a number of issues with the combo box (which you may be referring to) which hopefully will be resolved next week. Word is that that if this does not happen then Triax may go back to the drawing board and the combo box could be delayed until September. So next week is the real crunch time to see if the first Saorview approved combo box can be release to market.

But as far as the TR112 being Saorview Approved, that would be a yes.

• Advertisement

Only boxes and TVs that have passed certification can be called "Saorview Compatible" or "Saorview Approved".

Anything is at best "Irish Digital Terrestrial" compatible, but only if it has MHEG5, and that is no guarantee there will be no issues in the future. You have no 3rd party testing to prove any claims are accurate.

If it merely receives the Audio and Video, due to having MPEG4 and HD, it can't be called "Saorview Compatible" or "Irish Digital Terrestrial" compatible, but merely Receives Irish DTT channels, or partially "Irish Digital Terrestrial" compatible.

There is particularly no way a box or Tv with no MHEG5 and no Certification from anyone can be called "Saorview Compatible".

Saorview is a Trademark owned by RTENL and it can only be used to describe TVs and set-boxes that have passed the Certification procedure.

"Freeview HD" boxes and TVs have passed a certification process, or they can't be described as such. We know that they are virtually Irish Digital Compatible (eg LG 42LD490 won't show traditional Teletext) but that Traditional Digital Text is to end in 2012 or 2013 and may put channels in the 800s. Some TVs appear to be more compatible (e.g. LG 42LD450) and only lack Certification. But without Certification (i.e. 3rd party verification) we can only say "believed" to be "Irish Digital Terrestrial Compatible", but it's at your own (low) risk.

Nothing is approved officially till it's on RTE's site. The Triax combo was good example of pre-certified box a disaster.

Thats great news, thanks for the update

Edit: hope thye have ironed out all the glitches

The Triax TR112 has been approved since yesterday. .

watty wrote: »
    Saorview is a Trademark owned by RTENL and it can only be used to describe TVs and set-boxes that have passed the Certification procedure.

Unfortunately so far it also means they are selling at an inflated trade price

True. I hope that changes.

They should have found someone cheaper for certification. I'd guess they signed up with Teracom due to assumimng Boxer was pay partner and then couldn't back out of it.

A lot cheaper so that a much greater number of manufacturers would become involved. I take no pleasure in saying that the commercial aspect of certification has not been very well thought through at all.

watty wrote: »
    True. I hope that changes.

They should have found someone cheaper for certification. I'd guess they signed up with Teracom due to assumimng Boxer was pay partner and then couldn't back out of it.

• Advertisement

A lot cheaper so that a much greater number of manufacturers would become involved. I take no pleasure in saying that the commercial aspect of certification has not been very well thought through at all.

True, it's really the consumer that's gonna lose out in the end but I guess it's typical of the way things are run 'round this neck of the woods:mad:

T it's typical of the way things are run 'round this neck of the woods:mad:

Unfortunately yes at a time when everyone including RTE should be trying to deliver the best value possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

The Triax TR112 has been approved since yesterday. It will be listed on the RTE website from Next week. The first supplies will arrrive into Ireland next week with a large quantity expected in about 3-4 weeks time.

There is still a number of issues with the combo box (which you may be referring to) which hopefully will be resolved next week. Word is that that if this does not happen then Triax may go back to the drawing board and the combo box could be delayed until September. So next week is the real crunch time to see if the first Saorview approved combo box can be release to market.

Speaking as someone that was an early adopter of the ST-HD537, i cant understand how said product ever made it to the shelves - i mean if they are still having problems, almost a month after i was promised a software solution within days, AND they are possibly pushing back release till September..... who tested it originally, and eight year old? :confused:

Im truely glad i got a refund, but i will be watching this one closely and despite everything i may purchase one at some stage eventually - but i certainly wont run out and buy one as soon as they come out!

Someone is still selling the 537 on ebay btw

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Triax-ST-HD-537-Saorview-DTT-Receiver-/120685593136?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item1c196c0230

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    Speaking as someone that was an early adopter of the ST-HD537, i cant understand how said product ever made it to the shelves - i mean if they are still having problems, almost a month after i was promised a software solution within days, AND they are possibly pushing back release till September..... who tested it originally, and eight year old? :confused:

Im truely glad i got a refund, but i will be watching this one closely and despite everything i may purchase one at some stage eventually - but i certainly wont run out and buy one as soon as they come out!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Triax-ST-HD-537-Saorview-DTT-Receiver-/120685593136?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item1c196c0230

Can't speak for who.what/why but once it has been given the seal of approval by Saorview, it should be ok. That's 'IF', by the look of it unfortunately.

The Government should be subsidizing about 50%, but they have not put any money into DTT yet. Despite Sky's absurd claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Triax TR112 has been approved since yesterday. It will be listed on the RTE website from Next week.

Could the public information campagn be starting next week? The election is over and we now have a new Minister in place.

I believe it was to launch towards the end of February but was delayed due to the election and the late Feb approval of the new channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Or if an OEM like Vestel took the bull by the horns and sent in their OEM product and then offered it up for big store own rebranding as occured in the UK.

That very same chassis may get the same treatment over here (the T8300). As I understand it, that is the case as they are in for certification.

The 112s - at a guess that guy is bypassing the UK distribution via Budapest (am I right in saying Electroplus have some sort of arrangement with Triax in Ireland?). Perhaps, perhaps not.

STB wrote: »
    The 112s - at a guess that guy is bypassing the UK distribution via Budapest (am I right in saying Electroplus have some sort of arrangement with Triax in Ireland?). Perhaps, perhaps not.

Eh no, Perhaps not. The are a small number of official distributers in Ireland. Electroplus being just one of them. Electroplus would be say for instance supplying the like of B & Q, Power city for example(might do trade also). Other official distributers, will supply the trade and sub-distributers or resellers for example. Hope that clears it up and just to confirm that WE ARE NOT bypassing any UK distribution channels.

There is nothing wrong with bypassing UK Distribution, which in many areas, historically has simply been an extra layer of Middle men resulting in Higher Irish prices than UK, Spanish, German, Dutch and French Wholesale or Retail.

Especially since they don't use Euro.

As far as I'm aware each individual model/make need certification so not sure this would work unless terracom/Rte showed some flexibility on this

Or if an OEM like Vestel took the bull by the horns and sent in their OEM product and then offered it up for big store own rebranding as occured in the UK.

I doubt it as Triax are already limiting what distributors they are selling this to.

• Advertisement

The are a small number of official distributers in Ireland.

Indeed, I'm open to correction but to my knowledge there are 4 in Ireland and one has already been told they will not be allowed stock the approved box. Not a customer friendly set up in my view.

Eh no, Perhaps not. The are a small number of official distributers in Ireland. Electroplus being just one of them. Electroplus would be say for instance supplying the like of B & Q, Power city for example(might do trade also). Other official distributers, will supply the trade and sub-distributers or resellers for example. Hope that clears it up and just to confirm that WE ARE NOT bypassing any UK distribution channels.

I was refering to the possibility of how the guy on adverts was already selling them although they havent been available through the Irish Distributors. In other words Triax limiting trade distribution to Electroplus/Armstrongs (I had heard about the previous limiting with the HD537 - which is just as well given the issues).

I was pointing out that there is a Hungarian arm to Triax.

I wasnt talking about TVtrade bypassing anything :confused:

By the way good to see you guys taking part in the forum. I have been following your blog entries.
    As far as I'm aware each individual model/make need certification so not sure this would work unless terracom/Rte showed some flexibility on this

In the UK - Vestel themselves (the OEM) actually produced 1 affordable box for certification for Freeview HD by DTG. They were the first. Thats the standard hardware (T8300). It is being rebadged and sold as Antiference HDSB, Bush DVB680, Digihome Freeview HD Box, Ferguson F02HD, ISIS ISI-DVBT2, Krystel DVBT2, Linsar FHDF1, Lowry GSHDTB1001, Luxor LUX-DVBT2-690, Metronic T2HD, Xenius DVB100HD
    Finlux DVBT2665, Technika STVHDV2010.

Its actually the hardware and software that is passed not how the box looks so it is highly likely to be the end to not enough boxes - although it will all be the same OEM product.

I wasnt talking about TVtrade bypassing anything :confused:

Ok sorry about that, I misunderstood. But no harm to clarify in case others like myself, mis-read it.

On the blog, good to know we have one reader anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CairoTango

I've just set up the Triax ST-HD527 to avail of the Irish channels on Saroview.. But they are all scrambled..

Is there an easy fix or am I out of luck?

CairoTango wrote: »
    I've just set up the Triax ST-HD527 to avail of the Irish channels on Saroview.. But they are all scrambled..

Is there an easy fix or am I out of luck?

No you are not out of luck. You are probably a little confused though. The box combines channels from 2 sources, satellite and terrestrial. Saorview is on the terrestrial tuner.

The reason you are seeing scrambled is that you are viewing the RTEs off satellite which are broadcast on 28.2 on satellite and encrypted for Sky satellite customers. This is not Saorview.

There is a seperate scan for terrestrial stations - ie Saorview on that box. Its in the menu, you have an aerial I presume connected to the back of the box as well.

You then set up a favourites list to combine your satellite channels and your terrestrial(saorview) channels in one channel list.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

liamtech wrote: »

I was looking to buy this ST-HD537 as it's €149.95 now in PoweCity.

Is it a dud then? If it is, what's the best in the Combo market today? ta!

What about this one : http://www.tvtrade.ie/combo-box-smart-cx61.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Kanedmick wrote: »
    I was looking to buy this ST-HD537 as it's €149.95 now in PoweCity.

Is it a dud then? If it is, what's the best in the Combo market today? ta!

What about this one : http://www.tvtrade.ie/combo-box-smart-cx61.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

should rte+1 tune in on the triax st -hd 527 ci. ? maybe it has to be transmitting at time of scan,because i dont think it has a test screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

horse7 wrote: »
    should rte+1 tune in on the triax st -hd 527 ci. ? maybe it has to be transmitting at time of scan,because i dont think it has a test screen.

Yes. When doing the scan you will have to select to scan all channels instead of just FTA. When FTA is selected, the Saorview channels don't come up for some reason. The new channels don't have to be transmitting to tune in.

Advertisement