Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best 10 year old car, pre-poll research

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Jeez, you really don't like hondas, do you? :pac:

Oh god no, not at all, I was just trying to get people to explain "why" they were suggesting any given car.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Anyway, seems as I'm here, pre 00 Hyundai Accents, they can be bought for peanuts and have 90s Corolla reliability, only sip fuel and are nippy enough, eat a 1.4 Focus no bother. Put 175 70 13s on and the not great handling improves a lot.
    dnme wrote: »
    yea 10 years old (ish), give or take. It would be nice to have a poll compiled of cars that only get 1 year nct. that's what I'm thinking.

Anyone wanna comment on the Hyundai Accent? I know fcuk all about it, should we throw it into the hat?

Is my opinion not worthy unless it's 2nd ed or something :cool:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Is my opinion not worthy unless it's 2nd ed or something :cool:

Jesus I am sorry James, I missed that. Anyone here wanna mention the Ford Focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

K11 (92/93-02 )Micra for sure(newer one far less reliable) ...only thing that consistently causes (small) trouble is door handles and (more so on 3 door) door hinges ...Not so keen on the early 90s Civics ,shocks go early enough and can be VERY dear .Celica nice luxury/sporty choice ,Prelude not as pretty but sensible too...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

2.0l Vauxhall Vectra CD

Ive had a '00 Vectra for the past 8 years and has cost me feic all! I also have a 06 2.0l Passat Sport and I actually dont mind which one I drive..

Reliability - Very good
    Economics - Was cheap to buy, tax & fuel expensive, parts cheap
    Safety - Good
    Popularity - Hatchback version not that common
    Looks - I reckon they look well

Its no boy racer car but has all the extras - Longest ive ever had a car and i have to say after 8 years I am still really happy with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The 98-02 Honda Accord 1.8 VTEC. Built like a tank and reliable as hell. Mid 30's mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

10 year old reliable, easy to run small engined cheapy? Gotta be a 1.4 honda civic. I used to own a 1997 civic, own a 2000 corolla now & in all honesty i'd prefer the civic as an allrounder.
    The corolla is a spongey fisherprice car. Nippy enough & reliable but a dull pig of a car. Not saying the civic is a thrill ride but dynamically its better than the toyota. Always has been.

Ive done a little bit of light repair & maintenance on both & i consider the civic to be a better built machine.

Back to the original question, first choice; 1.4 honda civic 2nd choice; 1.3/1.5 mazda 323 as a cheap oul runaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I sort of fell into ownership of a '00 Yaris and I have to say it is quite a good little car. There is masses of space in the cabin and reliability has been fantastic so far except for one little fault that cost me a good few quid to get sorted. That timing chain is also great peace of mind and I wonder why all manufacturers can't fit them.

Fuel economy is quite good I think and it's very easy to work on and do basic DIY servicing. The only criticism I'd have is that fifth gear isn't long enough, making motorway journeys rather unpleasant with the engine screaming at high RPM.

OK thus far I have collected the following (not tidied up in anyway, just a generic preliminary guide)

Audi A4 1.8SE
    Ford Focus
    Forester S-turbo auto
    Honda Accord 1.8 VTEC
    Honda Civic
    Honda Prelude
    Hyundai Accent
    Mazda 323
    Mazda MX5
    Mercedes W124
    Nissan Micra
    Nissan Primera
    Peugeot 306
    Peugeot 406 2.0 hd
    Toyota Avensis TD
    Toyota Carina E
    Toyota Celica GT
    Toyota Corolla
    Toyota MR2
    Toyota Yaris
    Vauxhall Vectra CD 2.0l

In the poll, I'll be specific about year range and model. So are there any we should add or subtract at this stage?
    Any glaring omissions anyone ??? :cool:

If I have left anyone out - I do apologise, please let me know. Is there a limit to the number of entries in a poll here?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Suzuki swift/Subaru justy and particularly Daihatsu Sirion definitely up there, overlooked and great value.
    Sirion is basically a yaris only cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

You need to be model specific. British civics are real crap so pre 02 in civic case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Bigus wrote: »
    You need to be model specific. British civics are real crap so pre 02 in civic case

The 5 door civic was built in the UK's honda plant from 1995 - 2000 (2001?). Its based on the rover 400 body shell but the civic has all honda components. They're a great car as well. The fact that its hatchback as well is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mercedes W124
    Toyota Carina E

Fall outside the age bracket, with the youngest being late 90's.

Avensis and W210 will have to fly the flag.

I would also include the MKIII Mondeo, VW Golf IV, BMW 5 series, Skoda Octavia, Toyota Landcruiser, Lexus LS, and I can't think of anything else right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

free bump, i want to see how this goes

again guys and girls, are there any "GLARING" omissions that anyone can think of......?

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

again guys and girls, are there any "GLARING" omissions that anyone can think of......?

anyone??
    Fiesta 00/01 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

anyone??

1990–1993 Daihatsu Charade diesel (G102)? Or something with a bigger boot?:D

ok but even more glaring, manufacturer beginning with S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

ok but even more glaring, manufacturer beginning with S

i hope you dont mean an Octavia TDi? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

andyseadog wrote: »
    i hope you dont mean an Octavia TDi? :rolleyes:

The list of crteria/benefits of owing one would mean writing down more stuff than the internet can hold.

• Advertisement

surely we have to add the Octavia. Can anyone recommend it? Also what about the Fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

VW polo anyone??Bought it as my first car..cheap out to run..easy to drive and looks pretty good.

or maybe VW Bora ? or Golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Not the most exciting car by any means but.......

Suzuki Baleno Saloon 1.3. 97

Father owned one for a few years, **** to drive, crap image but the reliability is unreal.

I used to service it for him, about 35e for parts.

Not once did it ever break down, i mean never.

One set of pads in 6 six years, gearbox oil changed and a few bulbs was all it ever seen.

Every NCT it went threw it flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

how about the Megane, just the 99-02 version - probably the last of the (relatively speaking) reliable Renaults. I've had one, not a second's trouble, and they are half the price of similar Focus or golf, with a huge spec of extras on the Rxi versions. Easy to pick one up for €1,000-€1,300

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

sk8board wrote: »
    how about the Megane, just the 99-02 version - probably the last of the (relatively speaking) reliable Renaults. I've had one, not a second's trouble, and they are half the price of similar Focus or golf, with a huge spec of extras on the Rxi versions. Easy to pick one up for €1,000-€1,300
    Good call, have an RXi in the family since new. Safer and with better ride than many of the cars nominated. Excellent seats and a relatively decent 95 bhp from the 1.4 16v in a light car.

In over 10 years we've owned it the only problem has been the door open warning light stays on when all doors are closed. The car has lasted very well, all the suspension and steering components are original, original clutch, original cat, original plug coils, original brakes apart from the front pads. The only other things that have been replaced are the battery and timing belt/wpump and the (original) exhaust back box is now on its last legs with rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If your going to add the 406 you might as well the add the citroen xantia.

Same great bulletproof hdi engine coupled with the hydropneumatic suspension makes it a great cruising car. Cheap nowadays due french residual value. 60+ MPG in the 110bhp model. Bangernomics at this stage.

Great Small cars:

Toyota Starlet with the brilliant 1.3 4e-fe engine. Quite a powerful little engine in a car that weighs less then 800kg means it can move when it needs too.

Ridiculously reliable because there so simple, puts many other cars to shame

Because there so reliable and they have a loyal following in Irleand, they hold their value really well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Toyota Prius, based on this article and this thread

The main reasons are:
    • Reliability
    • Cost of ownership (fuel economy and low maintenance)

The links above refer to the first generation Prius The newer models are further improved. I have one since 2005, it's still running as new and beats the mpg in that article by a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The 5 door civic was built in the UK's honda plant from 1995 - 2000 (2001?). Its based on the rover 400 body shell but the civic has all honda components. They're a great car as well. The fact that its hatchback as well is a bonus.
    They're both based on the Honda Domani (which was a saloon only), which in turn was based on the EG Civic.
    maidhc wrote: »
    Fall outside the age bracket, with the youngest being late 90's.

Avensis and W210 will have to fly the flag.
    But the W210 was a bit rubbish though, I don't think it should be included.
    Sitec wrote: »
    Suzuki Baleno Saloon 1.3. 97

Father owned one for a few years, **** to drive, crap image but the reliability is unreal.
    A bit too many bad points for a "best" car, no?
    landyman wrote: »
    Toyota Starlet with the brilliant 1.3 4e-fe engine. Quite a powerful little engine in a car that weighs less then 800kg means it can move when it needs too.

Ridiculously reliable because there so simple, puts many other cars to shame

Because there so reliable and they have a loyal following in Irleand, they hold their value really well too.
    Engine is good, everything else pretty crap (interior, safety, handling, etc.). And holding their value is bad for us! :)
    Carina E Animal of a car
    nice inside...
    Did you really just say that? I've been in nicer vans!
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sirion is basically a yaris only cheaper.
    I don't think so. The later VVT engines are very similar to Toyota's 2SZ-FE, and they were sold as the Toyota Duet in Japan but that's where the similarities end for the first generation. Supposed to be rubbish to drive too.

Another vote for the Mk. 4 Fiesta, but the 1.25 Zetec-SE engine and not the crappy old 1.3! Great fun to drive, cheap to run, cheap parts, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Granted the sirion 1 is nasty, Its so long since I drove one, maybe I don't remember how dreary they are. Sirion 2 is a great yoke, never got why they never took off, combined sales of the perodua myvi/sirion/justy are laughable, no effort was ever made to market them in europe. No idea how they sold in their Malaysian/Japanese home markets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement