Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best 10 year old car, pre-poll research

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

There is lots of talk and questions on here about what to buy for low cash etc, So I thought it might be worth a thread to come up with a definitive poll on the best used car as voted by boards-motors folk. I am asking people to suggest a car or two to include. Maybe we'll end up with 15-20 cars that we can then poll.

We probably need to define criteria so basically, if you are suggesting a car, bear in mind the the following . . .
    Reliability
    Economics (cost of ownership, running costs, parts costs, insurance, fuel)
    Safety
    Popularity
    Looks

I'll kick off - Toyota Corolla 97-01.

Very reliable if a little boring. 1.3L struggles a little to pull the chassis but if you're light footed you'll get 40mpg. Not the best looker (vastly improved with the 01 facelift) and I imagine it has an average safety rating. Every mechanic in the world knows the car and parts are relatively cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll throw a few in:

Toyota yaris 99-05
    Ultra reliable, 65hp from 1.0 vvt-I
    4 star safety
    Decent space from quite a small car
    Neat digital dash
    Timing chain

Mazda 323 98-04
    Very reliable
    Decent power from 1.5 and 1.6
    Mid spec very generous
    Quite cheap second hand

Toyota avensis TD
    Uber reliable
    Good on diesel
    Old school electrics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Unmodified civic 1.4 96 ~ 01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Bigus wrote: »
    Unmodified civic 1.4 96 ~ 01

sigh, any particular reason ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

indeed, mk1 yaris, as was said, cheap to run, chain driven engine, very dull but capable of galactic milages with no major faults.

the e10 or e11 corolla, maybe not so much the e10 or e11 corolla as the 4E-FE engine they use, smooth running, economical, low service costs, again galactic mileages are well within grasp.

the k11 micra, same as above, very economical, no major faults as such, chain driven, massive mileages not an issue.

admittedly all the above are a little uninspired and boring, but they are bulletproof motoring in its simplest form.

why do i get the feeling a 1.9 TDi octavia will win this :)

many thanks folks for the contributions but . . .

if you could give a line or two as to why you are suggesting the cars, that'd make the contributions valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Mk1 focus. Pretty much the benchmark car in its segment. Very reliable and winner of car of the year awards for every year of t's production. Stand out feature is it's ride and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

dnme wrote: »

Built in Japan
    Economical
    Quick
    Bullet proof
    Cheap to Tax
    Loads of s/hand bits around.
    Simple mechanically no complicated electronics.
    Nice clutch and gearbox.

A saloon or hatch with factory roof and electric windows is a good cheap run around for somebody who had a new yoke repossessed.

Ok image lets them down big time but that's not the question..

UNMODIFIED owned by an aul wan and you'd have a car for life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Why is popularity rated? Toyotas are the most popular car on the road.. are they the "best"? Obviously Im not suggesting an obscure hard to find parts car is a valid alternative, but average popularity is any normal car.

Anyhow, your direction and selection of the "best" is not my car forte, I have had 4 10year old cars in the last year and none fit into a category that is shared with a Corolla, best car in the world or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Any Honda...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I believe most of the people who is asking for sub 3 grand good buy is looking for a economy and reliability. So most of the japanese brands will win here easily. I throw pre-2002 manual Nissan Primeras as bulletproof high mileage eaters. economical engines chain driven, spacious inside, 99-2002 facelift model interior is better place to be than other same age japanese competitors.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Why is popularity rated? Toyotas are the most popular car on the road.. are they the "best"? Obviously Im not suggesting an obscure hard to find parts car is a valid alternative, but average popularity is any normal car.

Anyhow, your direction and selection of the "best" is not my car forte, I have had 4 10year old cars in the last year and none fit into a category that is shared with a Corolla, best car in the world or not.

Yea no worries, I was only trying to come up with a rough(ish) set of guidelines for us to measure by, this is just the research stage. You can use some or all the criteria, its up to you, it just helps to compare like with like I guess. Please feel free to ad your car and your reasons why.

Figerty wrote: »
    Any Honda...

For the sake of compiling a list, can you suggest a model and your reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Peugeot 306 estate (don't laugh)

Pros:
    1.9d engine is reliable and replacements easy to find
    Good motorway cruising speed
    Comfortable
    Stylish (open to debate I suppose)
    Parts cheap and readily available.
    Simple to work on.
    Rust protection is excellent.

Cons:
    Back suspension can sag with age and is not easily fixable without replacing the whole rear beam.
    Electrics can stop working properly (wipers, central locking etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Bigus wrote: »
    Built in Japan
    Economical
    Quick
    Bullet proof
    Cheap to Tax
    Loads of s/hand bits around.
    Simple mechanically no complicated electronics.
    Nice clutch and gearbox.

A saloon or hatch with factory roof and electric windows is a good cheap run around for somebody who had a new yoke repossessed.

Ok image lets them down big time but that's not the question..

UNMODIFIED owned by an aul wan and you'd have a car for life

+1 Wife had one for 8years - no problems. Reliability excellent...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

mk1 toyota yaris by miles, my cousin had one, she ran up 60,000 miles before she hit a cow. '01 bought 4 years ago with 50000 miles for 3500 stg, written off 2010 with 110000 miles 1900 stg paid out by insurance. Apart from servicing, the only expense was 2 anti roll bar bushings, before she made the beefburgers

yaris.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

We probably need to define criteria so basically, if you are suggesting a car, bear in mind the the following . . .
    Reliability
    Economics (cost of ownership, running costs, parts costs, insurance, fuel)
    Safety
    Popularity
    Looks
    How about if (like me) you care not a jot for popularity or looks, little enough for running costs, but value performance, handling, versatility, and overall fun-to-own? My point here is that there's no best used car per se, it's all down to finding the right car for the person. And even for one person, at 10 years old it's as much down to the actual car as the make/model.

I'll vote 2001 Forester S-turbo auto, as it's: quickish, handles well, comfortable, reliable, can manage a big IKEA run, can cross a muddy field, loves snow & ice, doesn't cry at the first scrape or dent, and generally mucks in with everything thrown at you/it. Cars for life, at 20mpg.

Anan1 wrote: »
    How about if (like me) you care not a jot for popularity or looks, little enough for running costs, but value performance, handling, versatility, and overall fun-to-own? My point here is that there's no best used car per se, it's all down to finding the right car for the person. And even for one person, at 10 years old it's as much down to the actual car as the make/model.

+ 1

I reckon a Celica GT or a Jap spec ss2, 3S GE non interference engine, good performance, not too heavy on juice, decent sized boot but tiny back seat. Buy them for tiny money now and a decent one will cost tiny money to maintain. Particularly the UK/Irish ones as they don't have the superstrut suspension.

Also I'd throw in the Preludes from the 90s too, savage yokes that are economical enough, I ran a 2.2 auto when I was in Galway last year for a few months before I bought the ole W124, I don't think the overall mpg was too bad at all, will have a peak when I go home.

Of course now that I mention it a decent W124 would be a nice bus too, older than 10 though, but big, comfy and reasonable running costs if you buy a solid one.

About the Civics, the saloons aren't too skangery image wise, neither are the 5 door hatches.

About the Forrester, does the engine in them not start knocking like a good few of the 2000 Imprezas?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To be fair dnme laid down criteria in the original post that are on the wish list of someone looking for cheap ownership costs for who I would take to be your average Joe doing reasonable mileage.

The bangeromics thread what value there is in old barges with big engines, but this is for a different type of buyer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    To be fair dnme laid down criteria in the original post that are on the wish list of someone looking for cheap ownership costs for who I would take to be your average Joe doing reasonable mileage.

The bangeromics thread what value there is in old barges with big engines, but this is for a different type of buyer.

Exactly, lets keep Jeremy f'n Clarkson outa this one. The poll is really about whts a good everyday car to buy if you're on a serious budget, unemployed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - 00 to 03
    50 mpg
    very very comfortable
    excellent road holding and handling
    very reliable (yes very reliable)
    cheap to service - oil and filter can be done by an amateur, easy to re-set the on board computer.
    Cheap tyres - 16in (common tyre size) can be got for €65 or so for decent tyres.
    bad residuals - because its French, you win!!

After 3 years of ownership, the fuel supply pump located in the tank (comon fault) failed. That was all that failed.
    It is a very underrated car. Try to get the Rapier version with all the goodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Carina E Animal of a car

cheap to buy run etc
    will go forever if looked after
    nice inside
    GTi model same engine as a celica but four doors

96-01 Civic iLS vtec

better specced from factory then alot of 1.4s
    vtec
    better on juice then a 1.4
    hard to get a good one tho

MR2

Cheap to buy these days
    midship
    doesnt have the hairdresser image of the celica
    bit rarer then a celica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

RoverJames wrote: »
    + 1
    I reckon a Celica GT or a Jap spec ss2, 3S GE non interference engine, good performance, not too heavy on juice, decent sized boot but tiny back seat. Buy them for tiny money now and a decent one will cost tiny money to maintain. Particularly the UK/Irish ones as they don't have the superstrut suspension.

Also I'd throw in the Preludes from the 90s too, savage yokes that are economical enough, I ran a 2.2 auto when I was in Galway last year for a few months before I bought the ole W124, I don't think the overall mpg was too bad at all, will have a peak when I go home.

Funnily enough I was going to say the MR2 turbo, same engine as the GT4 but goes way over the 10 years mark. Actually had a 94 prelude myself, very fun but got broken into twice in the space of the 3 months I had it....heart breaking stuff.

If the only qualifiying factor here is the car has to be 10 years old...and something I like then...probably the best car would be a S2000 - a proper fun sports car that pretty much done everything right for what it was with out impacting reliability Hondas and toyota's seem to be the order of the day really.

What I'd have if I were to buy something 10 years old though .... http://www.carzone.ie/search/Porsche/911/3.6-TURB/201040199795424/advert?channel=CARS just sheer engineering brillance (not at that price mind you) and something that is as desireable today as it was the day it rolled of the production line.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »

Exactly, lets keep Jeremy f'n Clarkson outa this one. The poll is really about whts a good everyday car to buy if you're on a serious budget, unemployed etc.
    If we were car-as-appliance people, we most likely wouldn't be here to answer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cadaliac wrote: »
    Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi - 00 to 03
    50 mpg
    very very comfortable
    excellent road holding and handling
    very reliable (yes very reliable)
    cheap to service - oil and filter can be done by an amateur, easy to re-set the on board computer.
    Cheap tyres - 16in (common tyre size) can be got for €65 or so for decent tyres.
    bad residuals - because its French, you win!!

After 3 years of ownership, the fuel supply pump located in the tank (comon fault) failed. That was all that failed.
    It is a very underrated car. Try to get the Rapier version with all the goodies.

I second that, pug 406.

406 00-04, any engine, even 1.8 petrol.

Reliable
    Comfortable
    Briliant mpg
    Cheap to run
    Cheap to buy.

Moust reliable car i ever owned. Misses drove it to ennis from cork and back, 5 days per weak for 4 months. Only changed oil and brake pads. After 1 year of ownership i sold to friend. After 3 years she still drives it with no mechanical faults. Damm she evem forgot that nct ran out, booked to nct, newer even went to garage and it passed!!!

Performance wise i recomend mx5 mk1 or mk2.

Very cheap to buy
    Very cheap to run
    Moust fun you will have in a car
    Reliable as hell, even if its clasified as a sports car.

Like lads said there is no criteria, so i droped bouth, ecomic amd performance bargains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

have it 2 years and no problems whatsoever
    great engine as well

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

00 Honda civic 1.4,

Cheap car to run, does'nt have any insurance loading as someone posted early (they may have been but not in the last 5 years) loads of parts avail. cheaply, saloon is same size as carrolla, comes with el w/m and sunroof, cheapish tax, once you change oil once in a while car is bullet proof, any decent mechanic can fix them, tyres cheap as chips, that and nothing gets a chick hornier than the back seat of a civic, i had one for years, only changed it recently cause i got offered a cheap avensis 1.6 and find it awful, its sluggish and expensive to run and tax,

Anan1 wrote: »
    If we were car-as-appliance people, we most likely wouldn't be here to answer.;)

True :)
    If we stuck to the criteria it would be a smelly boring ole thread.

Anyway, seems as I'm here, pre 00 Hyundai Accents, they can be bought for peanuts and have 90s Corolla reliability, only sip fuel and are nippy enough, eat a 1.4 Focus no bother. Put 175 70 13s on and the not great handling improves a lot.

yea 10 years old (ish), give or take. It would be nice to have a poll compiled of cars that only get 1 year nct. that's what I'm thinking.

Anyone wanna comment on the Hyundai Accent? I know fcuk all about it, should we throw it into the hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

yea 10 years old (ish), give or take. It would be nice to have a poll compiled of cars that only get 1 year nct. that's what I'm thinking.

Anyone wanna comment on the Hyundai Accent? I know fcuk all about it, should we throw it into the hat?

I got a 99 hyundai accent, as a loaner when my car was in the garage before...possibly may have been the individual car but it would be one of the worst cars I've ever driven, the interior made me want to kill myself and performance was non existant unless driving down hill, I've never had to live with one though so probably not the best person to comment, just sharing my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For the sake of compiling a list, can you suggest a model and your reasons why.

Jeez, you really don't like hondas, do you? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement