Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand Lasers

Options
  • 07-01-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

am looking at The S3 Spyder III Arctic for Hunting. Now will this get taken off me on Route if Customs Stop it to get the postage out ? are Hand Lasers banned in Ireland ? 1000 mW output power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

can i ask why you want one and what your hunting.. i dont know about the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Dazzling mainly.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Dazzling mainly.

i think i read somewhere on here that its illegal to have a laser mounted to a gun, not sure where you stand if you are holding it.. but i also cant see the need for using one,serious money

all i need to know will it get stop if i order one from USA ?

i looked but cant find anything about them, someone here will no where to find the answer you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

so you dont care if its illegal to use as long as you get it into the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You want to shine a 1W laser into an animals eyes before you shoot it? What if you miss the shot then? You're going to be leave the animal blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i doubt its illegal as the nd3 is a laser and a few lads use them but i reckon it would be useless for lamping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sent you a pm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wildlife Act (amended) 2000, Section 45. No mirrors, lights, NV, lasers, etc to be used in the hunting of protected Wild birds, protected wild animals.

With regards to the laser. I know Ireland did not have any legislation as such on personal possession and use of lasers, but there is a European directive that Ireland must adhere to and if i'm not mistaken its;

- lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

Idont think the nd3 is a proper laser ormond power is 18mw hes asking about a 1000mw laser!
    The nd3 shouldnt damage your eyes according to its specs!

bazza888 wrote: »
    Idont think the nd3 is a proper laser ormond
    maybe not, i dont know much about them but from their website

532nm LASER LIGHT FREQUENCY- EASIEST LIGHT FOR THE HUMAN EYE TO SEE (SEE CHART)
    CLASS 2M LASER PRODUCT
    <18mW 532nm CW - Certified to IEC 60825-1 Ed 2, 2007-03
    Complies with FDA performance standards for laser products
    except for deviations pursuant to Laser Notice No. 50, dated
    June 24, 2007

What i mean is its not going to burn your eyes or skin or anything!!a 1000mw laser will hurt eyes
    http://hightechdealz.com/product_info.php?products_id=56

its still a laser though, so would it not be under same law as what the op wants
    although i totally dissagree with using the op's suggestion on a living animal as it is totally inhumane to potentially damage an animals sight, and the fact that it would not create enough light to properly identify what kind of animal a set of eyes belongs to, which could lead to disastrous consequences

i just dont see why you would want to use one of these for lamping and the fact that its so bright it would surely send everything you shine it at running away

im not sure on the law side at all and dont see why he would want it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

The area a laser would cover in width wouldnt be worth your while.
    With a deacent lamp one or two shines across a field and you see your prey. With a laser more like scan every single inch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

am looking at The S3 Spyder III Arctic for Hunting. Now will this get taken off me on Route if Customs Stop it to get the postage out ? are Hand Lasers banned in Ireland ? 1000 mW output power.

ive 1 here at home that id part with.its powered by 2 aaa batterys.its a green laser.nearly full sure its what your looking for.shines for more than a mile at least.<mod snip>.pm me if ur interested

You cannot fit laser, laser pointer, etc to a rifle. Illegal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

but you can an nd3. not a pinpoint laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Seeing that the yoke discussed is able to burn plastic I can only assume what it will do to a retina, be it human or animal, and as such I would be very weary of the legalities of using it as a hunting instrument. Blinding through permanent injury is not an acceptable form of hunting, including non protected species like fox and rabbit. You owe everything you hunt a clean fast kill.

• Advertisement

Seeing that the yoke discussed is able to burn plastic I can only assume what it will do to a retina, be it human or animal, and as such I would be very weary of the legalities of using it as a hunting instrument. Blinding through permanent injury is not an acceptable form of hunting, including non protected species like fox and rabbit. You owe everything you hunt a clean fast kill.

How is digging a fox out of his hole and letting dogs at him a clean kill ? i don't hunt foxes as you can't eat them, i don't kill something i don't eat,

Cork24 wrote:
    How is digging a fox out of his hole and letting dogs at him a clean kill

Where does this come from?

Cork24 wrote:
    all i need to know will it get stop if i order one from USA

That is not all you need to know. If you know the law then this thread would not be necessary. One question you have yet to answer is what you are hunting. Dazzling is illegal on all but vermin. You say you don't hunt foxes so i want to know what you intend to "dazzle".

Also you NEED to know if they are legal. otherwise it will get stopped at customs.

meathstevie is on about clean killing,, and i am stating when has digging foxes out of their holes a clean kill? a clean kill to me is shooting a Rabbit, deer in the head. quick kill or shooting a bird with shot gun,

what do i dazzle are rabbits.. i have 3 small whippet dogs.

people are buying lasers all the time from the internet and getting in but is their a max on the watts..

There is no definitive retsrictions under Irish law, but thats usually a few years behind so you would have to revert to EU law. As mentioned above the only details i can find are 5mw.

The majority of lasers available are class 2 or lower, but for this product (3B-4) i doubt it.

Why not ring the customs tomorrow. They will answer immediately and prcisely.

i tought you just said shooting in the head was a clean kill?so your whippets dont kill the rabbits cleanly?and i think its all ready been posted what you or cant do in terms of dazzling?dont think we can tell you much more,just because people get the lasers in it doesnt mean its legal!You could maybe ring up the firearms dept in phoenix park and ask them about it?

have you every seen a dog other then Hounds kill ? no,, they punch them right in the Lungs or in the neck,, dead in 2 secs. with shooting a Rabbit with a shot gun you have to get them while their still hoping up and down and pick them up by their back lets and chap down on their neck.. so which in your mind is quicker and cleaner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This thread went nowhere fast and had nothing to do with shooting in the first place. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement