Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some Bloody farmers breaking laws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

i am a farmer sometimes approching the winter
    i would put down poison for vermin
    farmers don t really work with nature
    we manipulate (use) nature to our advantage
    it would only take one or two prosecutions
    to stop this i would imagine

well without saying too much mate theres a lot more than prosecutions being done to stop of it, there is much illegal activities being done to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

steddyeddy wrote: »
    the animal has been native to ireland for thousands of years so yes i have no problem at all with it being re-introduced. what animals are being harmed apart from the eagles

Well we're talking about eagles attacking farm livestock specifically sheep aren't we?

You say that 15 eagles have been killed so far (which don't get me wrong is appalling and totally wrong, as is the lacing of carcasses with strychnine) but 77 extra eagles plus whatever was there already could be more than capable of killing or maiming 15 lambs.

So basically you're of the opinion that a lambs life is not as valuable as an eagles and it's fine for those animals to be killed (simply because they're not endangered)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Having sat, at the age of 9, with my dog who ate poisoned meat left out for God knows what threat in those days, while he died slowly and in agony whilst waiting for the vet to come out to put him down, I despise anyone who leaves out poison for unwary animals. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Having sat, at the age of 9, with my dog who ate poisoned meat left out for God knows what threat in those days, while he died slowly and in agony whilst waiting for the vet to come out to put him down, I despise anyone who leaves out poison for unwary animals. :mad:

This. We had a dog and a,cat poisoned when I wqs a,kid. Inhumane way to kill something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

mconigol wrote: »
    Well we're talking about eagles attacking farm livestock specifically sheep aren't we?

You say that 15 eagles have been killed so far (which don't get me wrong is appalling and totally wrong, as is the lacing of carcasses with strychnine) but 77 extra eagles plus whatever was there already could be more than capable of killing or maiming 15 lambs.

So basically you're of the opinion that a lambs life is not as valuable as an eagles and it's fine for those animals to be killed (simply because they're not endangered)?

Aren't lambs bred to be killed? or are they kept as pets?

• Advertisement

NWPat wrote: »

so in essence i think he means are we not concerned with the money farmers lose (even though they can claim it back)

no were not, farmers speculated that it could happen but it hasnt been observed. eagles will scavenge dead or aborted lambs however, which have been laced with poison

Nevore wrote: »
    This. We had a dog and a,cat poisoned when I wqs a,kid. Inhumane way to kill something.

guys i hope you reprted this, its an illegal activity. if a farmer thought you were responsible for the death of one of his flock he would be at your door in a second

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I grew up on a farm, I live on a farm, so don't give me this "Ah, you wouldn't understand the ways of the country" bullsh*t because this is beef country. Bullsh*t is in no short supply.

You do hear of mad old local farmers getting stupid ideas like this into their heads. Even if there are better or more efficient ways they won't change their minds out of a bit of ignorance and a lot of sheer stubbornness. Same with snares, or badger culling - they have it in their head that it should be done the way it used to be done, just because that's the way they're used to having it. 99% of farmers facepalm appropriately, but all it takes is a few stupid diehards, the lads who wear thirty four layers of tweed on a summer's day and wave their arms into combine harvesters, who use the local waterways as their own personal magical moving dumping ground, and seem to think it's alright when their own dog goes wandering and tearing other people's lambs apart.

They're bad farmers, and they make for bad neighbours. The vast majority of farmers see themselves as stewards of the land under their care and take that responsiblity seriously. That goes for wildlife as well as domesticated animals.

The kind of pigheaded idiocy at work in this stupid kind of indiscriminate, illegal poisoning is indefensible, and anybody trying to justify it would be embarrassed if they only had the wit. There's no excuse for it. It isn't the same as shooting foxes to keep pests down, so don't give me that. We had a chance to reclaim a part of our natural heritage that was long lost, and because a bunch of stupid old f*ckers thinking they're a law unto themselves, we may have lost it again for good.

The Scottish and Norwegian wildlife folks who are p*ssed off are right to be. We should be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

guys i hope you reprted this, its an illegal activity. if a farmer thought you were responsible for the death of one of his flock he would be at your door in a second

Well I was only a kid at the time but I definitely would report it now if it happened again.

• Advertisement

I grew up on a farm, I live on a farm, so don't give me this "Ah, you wouldn't understand the ways of the country" bullsh*t because this is beef country. Bullsh*t is in no short supply.

You do hear of mad old local farmers getting stupid ideas like this into their heads. Even if there are better or more efficient ways they won't change their minds out of a bit of ignorance and a lot of sheer stubbornness. Same with snares, or badger culling - they have it in their head that it should be done the way it used to be done, just because that's the way they're used to having it. 99% of farmers facepalm appropriately, but all it takes is a few stupid diehards, the lads who wear thirty four layers of tweed on a summer's day and wave their arms into combine harvesters, who use the local waterways as their own personal magical moving dumping group, and seem to think it's alright when their own dog goes wandering and tearing other people's lambs apart.

They're bad farmers, and they make for bad neighbours. The vast majority of farmers see themselves as stewards of the land under their care and take that responsiblity seriously. That goes for wildlife as well as domesticated animals.

The kind of pigheaded idiocy at work in this stupid kind of indiscriminate, illegal poisoning is indefensible, and anybody trying to justify it would be embarrassed if they only had the wit. There's no excuse for it. It isn't the same as shooting foxes to keep pests down, so don't give me that. We had a chance to reclaim a part of our natural heritage that was long lost, and because a bunch of stupid old f*ckers thinking they're a law unto themselves, we may have lost it again for good.

The Scottish and Norwegian wildlife folks who are p*ssed off are right to be. We should be too.

well said as i said my great grand dad had a geniune respect for nature and loved his animals and respected native wildlife. the eu grant system for farmers is being taken under review soon and what the bad farmers dont get is that things like the death of eagles will be taken into review an affrect the decision.

Nevore wrote: »
    Well I was only a kid at the time but I definitely would report it now if it happened again.

sorry i wasnt getting at you just pissed off to hear a story like that, very saddening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

You would in all likelihood be wasting your time and get nowhere.

I had a springer spaniel (harmless friendly lovable bufoon of a dog) who died due to poisoning

for action to be taken against the farmer you would have to prove

1) the animal (your pet) died of poisoning and not some other cause = autopsy probably -expensive probably

2) find where the poisoned bait was - prove your pet ate it

3) prove the landowner/farmer/accused laid it there

costly and time consuming and unlikely to yield the result you were hoping for

report to anyone you want I doubt they are going to be able to do much or take you all that seriously unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I genuinely don't see the point of your post??! It doesn't even seem to make sense :rolleyes:

The point was that I can change you post to point out ****e parts of my job. Its not all fun and roses in other jobs either.

But I don't try to pretend that poisoning people would almost be acceptable because they do **** things here.

You say poisoning is not ok, but then seem to make excuses for the people that do it.

amacca wrote: »
    You would in all likelihood be wasting your time and get nowhere.

I had a springer spaniel (harmless friendly lovable bufoon of a dog) who died due to poisoning

for action to be taken against the farmer you would have to prove

1) the animal (your pet) died of poisoning and not some other cause = autopsy probably -expensive probably

2) find where the poisoned bait was - prove your pet ate it

3) prove the landowner/farmer/accused laid it there

costly and time consuming and unlikely to yield the result you were hoping for

report to anyone you want I doubt they are going to be able to do much or take you all that seriously unfortunately

i had a golden collie as a pet a few years ago who died from poisoning funnily enough after a warning from the farmer. I went to the farmer involved and threathend to inform a friend of mine in revenue about his shady tax practices. it wont always work but it did for me and i was compensated.

The point was that I can change you post to point out ****e parts of my job. Its not all fun and roses in other jobs either.

But I don't try to pretend that poisoning people would almost be acceptable because they do **** things here.

You say poisoning is not ok, but then seem to make excuses for the people that do it.

yes and claim that people who reintroduce eagles dont care about animal welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The farmers had to be reassured that the eagles wouldnt fly off with their sheep ffs.
    Eagles do fly off with sheep, peabrain!

Nolanger wrote: »
    Eagles do fly off with sheep, peabrain!

are you serious, irish eagles fly off with sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well some eagles do. They also have been observed attacking wolves! Wonder when they'll be reintroduced here?

i had a golden collie as a pet a few years ago who died from poisoning funnily enough after a warning from the farmer. I went to the farmer involved and threathend to inform a friend of mine in revenue about his shady tax practices. it wont always work but it did for me and i was compensated.

hmmm....well fair play to you I suppose.

I do some farming myself so as well as the reasons in my post I'd be afraid to take action like this because you never know where it would bite you in the ass down the line.

I farm land away from me, would be very hard to catch someone messing with fences, letting animals out etc etc in retaliation

I personally dont think there are many that lace carcasses like this but there will always always be arseholes.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Well some eagles do. They also have been observed attacking wolves! Wonder when they'll be reintroduced here?

theres talks abound hopefully soon, with the illegal re-introduction of the wild boar some people think the re-introduction of the wolf would keep their numbers down, as well as control fox and deer numbers

hmmm....well fair play to you I suppose.

I do some farming myself so as well as the reasons in my post I'd be afraid to take action like this because you never know where it would bite you in the ass down the line.

I farm land away from me, would be very hard to catch someone messing with fences, letting animals out etc etc in retaliation

I personally dont think there are many that lace carcasses like this but there will always always be arseholes.

i dont mean it in retaliation i had other dogs and wanted to make it clear it wouldnt be tolerated

theres talks abound hopefully soon, with the illegal re-introduction of the wild boar some people think the re-introduction of the wolf would keep their numbers down, as well as control fox and deer numbers

Would I be allowed do some wild boar hunting with a ridiculously overpowered weapon do you think?

why should the wolves have all the fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

NWPat wrote: »
    so in essence i think he means are we not concerned with the money farmers lose (even though they can claim it back)
    no were not, farmers speculated that it could happen but it hasnt been observed. eagles will scavenge dead or aborted lambs however, which have been laced with poison

NWPat...of course lambs are bred to be killed. They aren't bred so that they can be savaged by a wild animal though.

steddyeddy I don't understand how you formed that opinion from my posts since I specifically said that it's not a matter of compensation. I'll quote my post for you again since you've decided to disregard it:
    It's not just a matter of compensation, its to do with the time, energy and care that goes into raising these animals
    i.e. farmers genuinely care about these animals

I'm not concerned with the money...I don't care if you're concerned with the money...it's only money at the end of the day.

I'll spell it out since you're trying to sidestep the question I've asked.
    You are putting more value and worth on the life of an eagle than on the life of a sheep. You're the one putting a monetary value on animals lives with the blasé attitude that it's ok for a sheep to be killed because sure wont you get compensated for it. It's the height of hypocrisy in my opinion.

As I've said, I've seen first hand what birds, specifically crows, can do to sheep so I have little doubt that a bird of prey is capable of similar.

On the other hand poisoning and lacing of carcasses with strychnine is a crime and people who do such things should be punished to the full extent of the law. I do not condone such behaviour in any way, shape or form. Coming on to boards and starting a thread called "Bloody Farmers" is not going to win you many supporters in the farming community however.

Would I be allowed do some wild boar hunting with a ridiculously overpowered weapon do you think?

why should the wolves have all the fun?

yes its encouraged that you report them, but their elusive i only seen three

NWPat...of course lambs are bred to be killed. They aren't bred so that they can be savaged by a wild animal though.

steddyeddy I don't understand how you formed that opinion from my posts since I specifically said that it's not a matter of compensation. I'll quote my post for you again since you've decided to disregard it:

i.e. farmers genuinely care about these animals

I'm not concerned with the money...I don't care if you're concerned with the money...it's only money at the end of the day.

I'll spell it out since you're trying to sidestep the question I've asked.
    You are putting more value and worth on the life of an eagle than on the life of a sheep. You're the one putting a monetary value on animals lives with the blasé attitude that it's ok for a sheep to be killed because sure wont you get compensated for it. It's the height of hypocrisy in my opinion.

As I've said, I've seen first hand what birds, specifically crows, can do to sheep so I have little doubt that a bird of prey is capable of similar.

On the other hand poisoning and lacing of carcasses with strychnine is a crime and people who do such things should be punished to the full extent of the law. I do not condone such behaviour in any way, shape or form. Coming on to boards and starting a thread called "Bloody Farmers" is not going to win you many supporters in the farming community however.

jesus man im saying that there is no evidence linking lamb attacks with sea eagles! your talking crap. farmers kill foxes to protct hens and lambs by your logic they are wrong because their putting a foxs life above a lambs and hens

i dont mean it in retaliation i had other dogs and wanted to make it clear it wouldnt be tolerated

I'm not really commenting on your motivation.....you did what you did and it was probably justified to some extent.

I'm just saying that an avenue like that is not open to everyone and if you do go down that road then you wont be a popular person with those on the receiving end.

In my case I would make a judgement and come to the conclusion that the risks of retaliation outweigh the benefits no matter how much I liked the dog.

Basically I'm saying not everyone is operating from the position of strength you seem to occupy.

some people have more to lose by doing this...whether a perceived loss or reality.

I'm not really commenting on your motivation.....you did what you did and it was probably justified to some extent.

I'm just saying that an avenue like that is not open to everyone and if you do go down that road then you wont be a popular person with those on the receiving end.

In my case I would make a judgement and come to the conclusion that the risks of retaliation outweigh the benefits no matter how much I liked the dog.

Basically I'm saying not everyone is operating from the position of strength you seem to occupy.

some people have more to lose by doing this...whether a perceived loss or reality.
    #no im not advocating it man but i was bullsh1tting him when i said i had a friend in revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is there a point to this?

• Advertisement

Is there a point to this?

the point is farmers are killing an animal donated to us by another country with outdated practices resulted in other countries being p1ssed of at us to say the least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement