Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT & Sat HD Combo Boxes Nov 2010 (under €200)

Options
  • 11-11-2010 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

A list of combo boxes with MPEG H264 processor that have dvb-s2 and dvb-t tuners for less than €200. The prices are within Europe and would not include postage. Please note that these are the UNIT prices in certain countries. Delivery to Ireland might be substancial. I dont want Irish Suppliers or indeed people who bought off Irish suppliers to be upset! Each box will have different functionality as regards recording aka PVR via USB, you should read the specific threads on each particular box in this forum should one exist. Some boxes may be new and a thread may not exist yet. The Boxes with an *asterisk* are the most commonly used in Ireland.

For those who are wondering what these boxes are. They are HD Combo boxes capable of picking up Irish Digital Terrestrial (Saorview) and HD Satellite channels in one channel list. They do not require subscription to Sky or NTL. The box alone is your once off payment - you will also require a dish and aerial. This is a typical channel list of what you will receive for FREE - totally LEGAL and above board.

Combo Boxes

Amiko STHD-8800 €138
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134470&stc=1&d=1289437900

ADB Ican- 2850ST HD Combo €185
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134455&stc=1&d=1289435473

Edision Argus mini 2in1 €119 *
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134457&stc=1&d=1289435722

Edision Argus mini 2in1 IP €139 *

attachment.php?attachmentid=134457&stc=1&d=1289435722

Ferguson Ariva Combo €137 *
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134458&stc=1&d=1289435763

Golden Media UNI-BOX 9080 CRCI HD €140
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134459&stc=1&d=1289435793

Hirschmann ST-HD 201 €178
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134460&stc=1&d=1289436103

Opticum/Orton TS 9600 HD €130 *
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134469&stc=1&d=1289437764

Opticum HD XTS703
    €159
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134462&stc=1&d=1289436164

Opticum HD TS20 HDTV
    €129
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134463&stc=1&d=1289436191

Telesystm TS4600HD-CI €180
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134464&stc=1&d=1289436214

TRIAX ST-HD527CI €185 *
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134472&stc=1&d=1289438817

Wisi OR 234 €170
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134465&stc=1&d=1289436352

XDOME RIC.SAT HD+DTT COMBO HD1000NC
    €180
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134466&stc=1&d=1289436378

Combo PC Card
    Medion TV Karte Creatix CTX 1924 DVB-S DVB-S2 DVB-T €65
    attachment.php?attachmentid=134467&stc=1&d=1289436752

The old combo list which wasnt restricted by price (incase it gets lost as there were some good boxes, some a little more expensive) that were discussed in detail is here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

where do you get the edision mini argus for that price,,,, i paid 169 for it a month ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

reaper180 wrote: »
    where do you get the edision mini argus for that price,,,, i paid 169 for it a month ago

Mini argus COMBI IP or Mini argus IP , there are rather a lot of edisions :)

€139 PLUS Delivery
    and it may not have the right firmware configured as is the case for some Irish Suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Thanks for the list! So anyway, I've been trying to find a combo box with a HDD (or to which I can fit one) that will receive HD & that's easy to use, in the way that a Sky+ box is. We'd like to be able to watch DDT & record Freesat at the same time, or vice-versa. We'd like a decent EPG, too.

Could you experienced people tell me if such a thing exists, yet... or is it too much to ask?

Thanks!

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks for the list! So anyway, I've been trying to find a combo box with a HDD (or to which I can fit one) that will receive HD & that's easy to use, in the way that a Sky+ box is. We'd like to be able to watch DDT & record Freesat at the same time, or vice-versa. We'd like a decent EPG, too.

Could you experienced people tell me if such a thing exists, yet... or is it too much to ask?

Thanks!
    The ferguson listed above available from satelite.ie but currently out of stock does that [I haven't looked but I always thought most of the above were also pvr's?]

Anyhow-give Tony[the owner of satelite.ie] who posts on boards satelite frequently a shout and I'm sure he'll order one for you,he's very professional and very reliable-see below for the product link :

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Terrestrial_and_Satellite__Free_to_Air_Combo_Receivers_2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

From the spec

* PVR features (video recording, playback, MP 3) via USB

Exactly what I'm looking for. I've been checking specs now for many of these models and it would seem that most indeed allow for the connection of an external Hard Disk (via USB). I suppose all we're looking for now is some feedback from someone as to the quality of picture and ease of use. Sometimes, boxes can be quirky to shift between DVB-T and DVB-S.

Any of these boxes combine the PVR Feature and then have all DVB channels on the one single program list ??

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

First off excellent post, thank you.

Do you know if any of these boxes have a standard coax output with a decoded signal to feed a second TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

comet wrote: »
    First off excellent post, thank you.

Do you know if any of these boxes have a standard coax output with a decoded signal to feed a second TV?

Most if not all have a loop through ie antenna in and antenna out. However your second TV would have to have a Digital tuner to display DTT or you could feed a second box off the antenna out. Alternatively the antenna out could just feed the analogue tuner in that TV should you not have a second MPEG4 receiver.

From the pictures above you can see the ones that do have an antenna in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

STB wrote: »
    Most if not all have a loop through ie antenna in and antenna out. However your second TV would have to have a Digital tuner to display DTT or you could feed a second box off the antenna out. Alternatively the antenna out could just feed the analogue tuner in that TV should you not have a second MPEG4 receiver.

From the pictures above you can see the ones that do have an antenna in and out.
    :confused:
    What boxes have a modulator producing a uhf analog output that can serve an analog tv in much the same way sky box does.
    There are going to be many thousands, even millions of analog TVs out there incapable of receiving terrestial channels.

Anyone got a list of DTT only stbs capable of viewing Irish DTT.
    The rather expensive Walkers in Powercity seem to be the only brand available so far.
    EPGs etc are not that big a requirement on small bedroom and kitchen tvs. Are any of the cheap uk freeview stbs suitable (mpeg4)

Could any of the myriad of cable boxes be flashed to receive DTT

Will any of these boxes take a Sky Subs card our Sky Freesat card?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

I think it might be easier to lock this thread to avoid it becoming full of queries.

If anyone has any new box additions please PM me or another mod, and if you have any queries regarding technical specs, post it in a new thread.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Anyone one know if Humax do a combo box for Irish DTT with a PVR in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

no they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

shblob wrote: »
    no they dont.
    Is there any company that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Not that I know of, although 90% of them have a USB port so you can record onto an external hard-drive.

The ferguson ariva 120 is a very popular box:

http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

The triax has MHEG 5 text if you need it..:

http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Triax_STHD_537_Combo_Satellite_Terrestrial_Receiver-pid297.html

Is there any company that does.

Yes but this thread is for Combos under €200.

I will update this list as it was done last year and new boxes have come on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I will update this list as it was done last year and new boxes have come on the market.

Was about to open a new thread asking folks for their input for 2011/2012 Combo boxes, then I saw your post STB. Will await an update to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teachie99

STB, thanks for the very informative posts here and elsewhere. Will you be updating the list soon? Having fun (:mad:) with a Triax ST-HD537 (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056168690) and looking for a suitable replacement. Leaning towards the Ferguson Ariva 120, just wondering if you know of any other products that have come to market recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Hi folks we bought the Triax HD 537 at christmas for my Mother because she could get the English through the dish and Irish channels through the aerial on it.Was setting it up today and the English are perfect but the Irish channels won't work at all.Just a black screen with the broken up audio.Are these boxes no use? Wish I had seen this thread at Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Do you know what kind of aerial you have & which transmitter you're receiving from? What part of the country are we talking about?

I'm in Wexford town. The aerial picks up tv3 and tg4 perfect on the tv? Other than that I wouldn't have a clue mate.

• Advertisement

Assuming you're tuned to Mt. Leinster Saorview on UHF channel 45, it's possible the aerial may be a grouped type & the Mt. Leinster analogue channels are currently in a different group to Saorview.

Also possible that the Preseli transmitter in Wales is causing interference. Both problems will be resolved at switchover in October.

My lovely sticky! Yis feckers.

The answer is how low down in Wexford town you are will dictate which transmitter.

Anywhere up high = Forth Mountain on Ch 52.

Anywhere low down say along Carcur is Mt Leinster on Ch45.

Mind you most people have their aerials pointing towards Wales, but it should still come in through the back of it. Most parts of town will get Mt Leinster no problem.

Dont go out buying new aerials for it as they are moving Mt Leinster in October to Ch23.

I tried the box upstairs for just the Irish channels and they are perfect. Brought it back to the sitting room and the Irish won't work.Could it be the aerial cable? But the channels are fine without the box.We'll probably just wait until the switch over.Thanks folks.

I tried the box upstairs for just the Irish channels and they are perfect. Brought it back to the sitting room and the Irish won't work.Could it be the aerial cable? But the channels are fine without the box.We'll probably just wait until the switch over.Thanks folks.

Any ideas folks?

It's off-topic for this thread, start a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

can anybody tell me what channels you can receive on one of these boxes bar Irish freeview , and I know I need the aerial and dish etc , sorry if this a silly question but I havent a clue , thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

can anybody tell me what channels you can receive on one of these boxes bar Irish freeview , and I know I need the aerial and dish etc , sorry if this a silly question but I havent a clue , thanks

http://www.freetoair.ie/satellitechannel_list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

can anybody tell me what channels you can receive on one of these boxes bar Irish freeview , , thanks

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

all these .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lightnin

Anybody know if such a box is available with pvr capability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Advertisement