Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Investigates on Southill now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

maybe you should look on your own doorstep, from what I hear Tipp town isn't exactly heaven on earth lately

snowman707,
    That's exactly the point I'm making........Tipp Town, Kilrush, Cork City...

A good TV programme can paint any of these places pretty well as badly as they paint Limerick City.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

tippman1 wrote: »
    But they've shown Southill/Moyross now on several progorammes.

When did we have a similar documentary focussed on areas of say, Cork, or Dublin? It always seems to be Limerick IMHO.

J.

Please provide an example of an area in Cork as bad as Moyross.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Orizio wrote: »

Please do not turn this thread into a regional rivalries argument.

Orizio,

I can't possibly quantify how "bad" any specific areas is in relation to anywhere else.

By "bad", do you mean the number of murders, muggings, or the number of convicted criminals per head of population?

The point I'm trying to make is the unfair perception the media constantly heaps on the specific areas of Limerick.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Orizio wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Moyross?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

I recognised one of the Limerick victims as a well know Willie O'Dea voter. And I thought to myself, WTF.

They go around pledging their loyalty to a man taking in around euro 160,000 per year while they are living in this kind of ****.

O'Dea has represented Limerick in the Dail for 28 years now, including 11 years at the cabinet table & a period as junior minister in the department of justice.

I just despair. When will people open their eyes!

wod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

along with some very creative and professional camera-work, to create the impression that Southill resembles Saigon or Beirut. A good camera-angle tells a thousand words.

The only creative camera angles I remembered were the ones used to disguise the terrified residents' identities.

To Amazo, you're right about LIT and Thomond Park being on the edge of Moyross - you'd also be right if you mentioned the massive fences segregating both places from Moyross.

The point is, of course there are positive stories coming from these areas. Of course there are other deprived areas of the country. I think it is worthwhile making a programme highlighting the scandal that residents in Ireland's third biggest city feel their only chance of survival is to leave their homes.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Moyross?
    Yes, I have. I live not too far from it. I used to live very close to it a few years back and I have walked every part of it.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yes, I have. I live not too far from it. I used to live very close to it a few years back and I have walked every part of it.

John.

I was asking the Corkman who says there's no place in Cork like it. If he's so sure, i'd like to know he's actually seen the place for himself.

I've been all around it too and it's not the place the tv shows it to be, neither is it some wonderland that gets a massively unfair rap. Some parts of it are fine, some parts are awful.

I've been all around it too and it's not the place the tv shows it to be, neither is it some wonderland that gets a massively unfair rap. Some parts of it are fine, some parts are awful.

Exactly my own perception. The parts portrayed in Prime Time don't show the proportion of the areas that cause all the problems.

I just feel the RTE create a disproportionate impression that Moyross and Southill are totally out of control and lawless.

I'm not trying to deny there are serious problems.....but don't over-dramatise.

John.

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

There are/were two types of people in council housing estates a)the ones who want to get out and b) the ones who want to get hand-outs.

Over the years, the ones who wanted to get out, did get out. They made sure their kids had a good education/trade etc. You'll find their kids in the estates near the council estates, the fine, middle-class areas from Castletroy to Clareview. Every year more and more good people leave the estates. That's the function of the estates, they aren't meant to be homes for successive generations.

The ones who want to live on handouts are the ones who no one knows how to deal with.

Spot on there.

I despair for Limerick when I see programmes like this because there are some great people living all over Limerick but there are always a few little shits that try to make life a misery for everyone. Half the time the answer from the council to problem families is to rehouse them in private estates making life hell for people in those settled estates. Troublesome families should get NOTHING from the state. No House, no Welfare, no child benefit and have the guards sitting on them 24/7 until they cop the fuck on. This will never happen though.

The Frontline panelists are going on about special schools for young kids but what happens when they go home to their mothers and fathers who have probably never worked a day in their lives and don't give two flying fucks about their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Why does this always descend into an argument about Limerick versus other areas and RTE bias. People need to get real and accept that to date the political will has not been there to confront this problem.

I highly doubt that anything will be done to rectify the situation. The regeneration farce is looking like another shambles with some very questionable issues arising out of it already. Also will it even be feasible given that we are broke?

Anyway so long as the government are content to allow a culture of social welfare leeches making a career out of avoiding work and our judges continue to live in another reality and our police force remains a laughing stock then forget about any change to the current situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Send in the army, and keep them there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 adrian IMO

i thinks its all down to the crap parents. i had to laugh at some of the people interviewed begging to be moved and it was there little scumbag kids causing the trouble.

i hope people dont fall the bullpoo that was shown, moving the scumbags out will only lead to the little fecking making sh1t of the new area they move into.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

We need to nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

This program was very sad, small pockets of limerick neglected by IRELAND.

Shocking stuff, decent people terrified in their own houses, where are the gardai? There is not enough gardai on the streets of these estates, put 1 outside every house if necessary. Recruit more gardai if necessary, or bring in the army to patrol the streets of these neglected areas.

Decent people should be allowed to feel safe in their houses. Building new houses regeneration is not going to solve anything.

Education needs to be tackled + social services need to bring kids into care.

Regeneration house building is going to bring 2,000 jobs to the city, wander how many of the builders will be from limerick.

These trouble estates don't know what they will be like in 20 years time as limericks unemployment is at a record high and growing every day.

I know there are great things about limerick too, and prime time could have shown all the nice parts too, but that does not solve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If the army came in it would solve nothing unless they were given the go ahead to confront gang members and use deadly force. Which will never happen.

Anyway why do you think the gardai are laughed at and abused to their face by these scum? Because the do-gooder brigade has tied their hands and rendered them useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

It seems to me that the Irish prison system has a lot to do with the ongoing troubles in many areas around Ireland. We are offering 4 star accommodation to thugs who are more that happy to avail of a bit of R&R once they have notched up enough slaps on the wrists. If there is no fear (or even inconvenience) in being sent to prison then we as a country are only pissing into the wind. The sad fact about it is that nothing will change..... We'll still be debating this, this time next year and that is a frustrating and sad fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Gazza1000 wrote: »
    It seems to me that the Irish prison system has a lot to do with the ongoing troubles in many areas around Ireland. We are offering 4 star accommodation to thugs who are more that happy to avail of a bit of R&R once they have notched up enough slaps on the wrists. If there is no fear (or even inconvenience) in being sent to prison then we as a country are only pissing into the wind. The sad fact about it is that nothing will change..... We'll still be debating this, this time next year and that is a frustrating and sad fact.

That's what I took from it - the only possible punishment is seen as a joke by everyone in that video.

They also say it'll be great to see friends and the like already locked up.

This could be stopped by 1) making prisons spartan, as they should be, and 2) locking criminals up in different locations, separating friends and gang members.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

It's hard to compare but I think you could find areas in Ballymun, Jobstown, Finglas etc that you could make the same documentary. You always have to remember that the estates are a small part of a city of 90,000 people.

I'm fron Dublin and while I can't really speak as to Ballymun or parts of Finglas I worked for a few years quite recently in Jobstown and it is not bad at all. While it had a bad rep a few years ago it is quite a mature estate so a lot of setteled families etc. I found it to be quite safe and there is a good sense of community there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

These people have no fear of anything. They have no fear of authority or of prison and they get everything for free; welfare, housing, medical cards. It really is a sorry state of affairs.

There is no dealing with these people. There is no point being nice to them, hoping that they will turn their lives around. There needs to be some serious work done in these places. Guards need to become feared by these people, they should be terrified by going to prison and they need to have their handouts slashed. Its time these places were reclaimed and decent citizens were given their lives back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Note at the end he mentioned

Southill
    Moyross
    Delmage
    Weston

Forgive me if im wrong but isnt delmage park in Moyross? seems like they try to break everything up to make it seem like theres more areas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I think a harder touch is needed with the gangs of Limerick, big time.
    Seriously, they are just sh!ting on their own doorsteps and walking all over it.
    No respect for anything! Theres not many places/estates in Ireland where they burn houses and pull down walls for a bit of craic. There's drugs, joyriding and general anti-social behaviour everywhere in Ireland but some of these lads are seriously low life.
    Send in the army with night time curfews and when caught flog the sh!t out of them.

On the topic of the kids with the swan-off, seriously if primetime had any cop-on they would pass on the details to the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched some of it, made my blood boil, espcially those little cockwarts with the multiple keys for robbing cars, and the fella boasting he broke into hundreds of houses, yet if one of us caught him in our place and gave him the beating he deserved WE'D be the ones up in court. fcuk em I say, you have no respect for your surroundings why should anyone give you anything to make it better? the people who try to get by and have live near these scum are the real victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thing is , you could give them a good hiding if you caught them in your house, and rightly so. But thing is, they would probably come back with their mates and give you an even harder hiding, or worse, do what they did to that poor Collins fella.
    A friend who knows a garda was told before, if you ever give a thief a hiding on your property, drag him out to the gate, ring the gardai, and tell them you found an unconscious guy outside your gate.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

That programme was very sad and it really shows our failure as a society that this is accepted behaviour.

Shame on all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thing is , you could give them a good hiding if you caught them in your house, and rightly so. But thing is, they would probably come back with their mates and give you an even harder hiding, or worse, do what they did to that poor Collins fella.
    A friend who knows a garda was told before, if you ever give a thief a hiding on your property, drag him out to the gate, ring the gardai, and tell them you found an unconscious guy outside your gate.;)

No need for all that bother now as I think it has changed since the introduction of that bill earlier this year (at least I think it came in) where you are entitled to defend yourself against a trespasser on your property.

So flake away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No need for all that bother now as I think it has changed since the introduction of that bill earlier this year (at least I think it came in) where you are entitled to defend yourself against a trespasser on your property.

So flake away!

Time to call in the country lads maybe.

nally.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

CiaranMT wrote: »
    That's what I took from it - the only possible punishment is seen as a joke by everyone in that video.

They also say it'll be great to see friends and the like already locked up.

This could be stopped by 1) making prisons spartan, as they should be, and 2) locking criminals up in different locations, separating friends and gang members.

I've said this in some other thread already, but that's why I think it would be a good idea to ship the criminals out to places like Nigeria and Pakistan where we deport people to anyway and pay their country's prison systems to lock up our criminals. I'd say it would definitely be cheaper than the €100 grand a year it costs to keep Irish prisoners in jail, it definitely would be more Spartan than what we have here, they wouldn’t come into contact with their Irish criminal mates.

We could keep the civil liberty brigade happy by allowing them access to Skype calls to their families back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

dave 27 wrote: »
    Note at the end he mentioned

Southill
    Moyross
    Delmage
    Weston

Forgive me if im wrong but isnt delmage park in Moyross? seems like they try to break everything up to make it seem like theres more areas :(

I think they only mentioned Delmege. I remember because I thought it was odd at the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement