Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

STB wrote: »
    Ci+ will get rid of the need for proprietary boxes.

It is mandatory from 2012 onwards on Tvs above 30".

Forwarded message
    Date: Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Subject: RE: Saorview
    To:

Thanks for the feeback . It is certainly something that we are keeping an eye on.

Rgds,

Sent: 19 November 2010 13:27
    To: pressoffice@setanta.com
    Subject: Saorview

As a saorview watcher, is there any chance of Setanta Sports Ireland been available on Saorview as 3e is now on it this week
    it could also compliment subscriber growth of setanta sports 1

As above I think setanta sport ireland might be on saorview fta around 2011-12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »

Sounds more like lipservice to me Keith, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone watching RTE1? The picture looks like a 4:3 ratio zoomed, way too many top of heads chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

mike65 wrote: »
    Is anyone watching RTE1? The picture looks like a 4:3 ratio zoomed, way too many top of heads chopped off.

mines normal aspect ratio - widescreen with no disected heads :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah thats a different programme (Belgian detective fella), it was a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah thats a different programme (Belgian detective fella), it was a film.

Saw that this afternoon too - The Trip to Bountiful. Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Cush wrote: »
    That why it's such a mess right now, Brazil has stepped in and offered it's version of ISDB-T with Ginga middleware.

Some links from earlier this year when the whole standards issue was reopened
    Row looming over digital TV standards
    SDB-T expansion around the World - It takes many to Ginga
    SA set to abandon digital TV standard
    SADIBA submission

Latest news
    Myths shroud broadcasting standards
    Digital TV broadcasting standards demystified
    Scrambling for Africa: ISDB-T vs. DVB-T (and now DVB-H?)

Good news for SA and Africa generally, The belated toying with ISDB is gone and SABC will be using DVB-T2, MPEG4 and MHEG5. There have been DVB-T transmission since 2008.
    via http://www.techtir.ie/blog/byte/sabc-decide-dvbt2
    via http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/11/25/southern-africa-confirms-dvb-t2-as-transmission-standard/

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

RTE2 HD is now transmitting aswell as RTE2 SD

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE2 HD is now transmitting aswell as RTE2 SD

???? On Channel 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

It was on the RTÉNL test channel, but reverted to the HD loop at 12.05.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    ???? On Channel 2?
    NO on the HD test channel, RTENL
    Sorry for not being clear on my previous message

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The RTENL HD test channel has been off air for the past half hour. I am getting the message no video. Picking up DTT from Maghera. Anyone else getting this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Yep, video still gone @ 14:00. Hope it isn't some sort of flag change on the signal that my Panny D25L can't see, although it still shows the HD flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ftakeith wrote: »

Forwarded message
    Date: Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    Subject: RE: Saorview
    To:

Thanks for the feeback . It is certainly something that we are keeping an eye on.

Rgds,

Sent: 19 November 2010 13:27
    To: pressoffice@setanta.com
    Subject: Saorview

As a saorview watcher, is there any chance of Setanta Sports Ireland been available on Saorview as 3e is now on it this week
    it could also compliment subscriber growth of setanta sports 1

how will they get room on it? i thought that mux's1 and 2 will be fully taken up with rte's channels and tv3 etc? a very long shot for free to air setanta.

Hopefully when it returns RTENL might show some HD content maybe some sport or movies over the weekend.

how will they get room on it? i thought that mux's1 and 2 will be fully taken up with rte's channels and tv3 etc? a very long shot for free to air setanta.

If the BAI thought about an FTA Mux rather than PAY TV.

Why should RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 get precedence over any other company?

Lets get this right how many channels SD can be on one MUX? and How many SD channels are equal to one HD channel? And how many radio services are equal to one SD channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Yep, video still gone @ 14:00. Hope it isn't some sort of flag change on the signal that my Panny D25L can't see, although it still shows the HD flag.
    It's not any sort of flag change. The service information is still there but no video or audio stream being transmitted.

I just did a rescan RTENL HD is now showing RTE Two i take it in HD. RTE Two SD is flagged as HD but with no audio or video.

No not HD - it's 544x576 (now gone as I type)

RTE 2 now in HD (14:54)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Channel 2 - RTÉ 2 with HD flag & coming thru @ 1080i/50hz. Channel 7 - RTÉNL still showing as HDTV in TV guide but now in SD with test card. Wonder what they are going to fill the Channel 7 RTÉNL space with?

• Advertisement

So can we take it RTE Two Lite HD is about to launch?

If RTE 2 Ch2 is HD, then SD is about as much as can go on it

That's RTE 2 gone on Sagem Picnic, Neotion "CAM" (aka NP4), Philex Skyline etc?

Yeh - I started a separate thread! Now let the endless debate start as to what is being upscaled and what is genuine HD material:D
    Or perhaps RTENL just switched the patch cables into the encoder ;)
    Can't wait to see if Richard Hammond's Blast Lab is in real HD at 15.30;).

Blast:P - not in HD! But then I didn't expect it. From what I've read from other contributors, RTE doesn't have a HD-capable playout system just yet. Maybe they will showcase certain sporting events with a bit of patch cabling etc.

Unlikely.

RTE seemed to suggest to start with it would be the odd sporting event (I presume local).

Did they get their new HD playout installed yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE2 HD is not available on the Picnic. Boohoo.:mad:

Have to press ahead now with suitable HD Mpeg4 TV.:D

Dear Santa,

I have been a good ...........................

Channel 2 - RTÉ 2 with HD flag & coming thru @ 1080i/50hz. Channel 7 - RTÉNL still showing as HDTV in TV guide but now in SD with test card. Wonder what they are going to fill the Channel 7 RTÉNL space with?

The RTÉjr / RTÉ Plus channel will probably replace the HD loop. No further capacity on Mux 1 after that for any other channels. The proposed Oireachtas and Film Channel will have to be reserved capacity on Mux 2.

rates.jpg

RTE2 is now in HD on channel 2
    RTENL is now SD

If the BAI thought about an FTA Mux rather than PAY TV.

Why should RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 get precedence over any other company?

Mux 1 & 2 are allocated to RTÉ in the Broadcasting Act to be used for the public service channels and other FTA services. Nothing to prevent the BAI awarding one of the other 4 commercial muxes for FTA services.
    Lets get this right how many channels SD can be on one MUX? and How many SD channels are equal to one HD channel? And how many radio services are equal to one SD channel?

Depends on the bit rate, see the extract from the Dept of Comms consultation in my post above.

RTÉ's plan is to use approx 2 Mbps for SD channels and 6 Mbps for RTÉ 2 HD. The capacity of our muxes is 24 Mbps, so we could fit 4 HD channels @ 6 Mbps in a mux. Radio channels are allocated between 96 and 128 kbps.

We really need 3 x PSB mux to decently support Oireachtas TV and the proposed Film Channel, which ideally ought to be HD.

Space on a PSB Mux can in theory be rented by RTE NL to any FTA channel approved by BAI, if there is unused space not required by RTE, TG4 and TV3.

Though it would have to be on a shoe string and even then the Transmission costs may be more than Satellite only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

TG 4 down - Woodcock Hill - for the last hour. Channel showing static RTE 2 screengrab.

Advertisement