Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Food Diet

Options
  • 12-11-2010 9:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

So after weeks upon weeks of searching for a pup, we've finally decided to bring an american akita into our home. It'll be another four weeks before he'll be ready to go but I'm making sure I'm well prepared. I have everything I need so far, so my question is on food. Well, the raw food diet to be specific. I was planning on doing a half raw/ half dry food diet but because of the different times these both take to pass through the digestive system I figured I might as well go with one or the other. So when it comes to raw food, does anyone have any good recipes for a large breed pup like an akita?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You can feed raw/kibble on alternate days if you wish........

no reciepe needed for raw just good supplies for meat!!!
    Start out with chicken first as it is least offensive and work in other meats after a few days.
    Monitor your dogs stools to see if more/less bone needed........runny poo more bone,white poo less bone!!

I feed heart as muscle meat so lamb hearts,50 cents each,beef heart,3 euro are good buys and can be got in any butchers.

If you live near cappaquin in waterford they do a 15 kilo box of pet food,mixture of meat/bone,primarily meat for 8.88.........picked up 3 today!!

80 per cent meat,10 per cent organ/liver and 10% edible bone... is what i try aim for over a week/10 days.......
    Try not to get confused between RAW DIET and BARF DIET as they are completely different........
    U se your hunter friends for trimmings of any kills,deer etc..........

Aim for 2/3 % of his aldut weight though some pups can consume 10% daily,your dog himself will be the best quide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to do your research when feeding a raw diet. Puppies need more % in raw than an adult dog so just do lots of research before feeding it. Adults are usually fedabout 2% of their bodyweight so it will be more for puppies.

Im looking into feeding my fella a half raw/half kibble diet.

What you can feed is stuff like, chicken wings/drumsticks/things etc, cuts of beef, lamb , liver, heart, chicken necks, offal.
    The only thing with feeding a raw diet is the cost and trying to source all this stuff at a good price.
    My fella requires about 2lbs of raw meat per day so that can add up in cost, so if you are friendly with a butcher they might do a good deal for you.

i have been feeding raw for a while now and find it cost friendly though mine are only small dogs,800 gms meat required daily.
    Feeding a large breed i can imagine would be a bit more pricey..
    For large breed dogs i would avoid necks,wings/thighs owing to possible choking if your dog is a gulper,perhaps feed him the whole chicken and take away what is left if does not eat it all,feed rest later!

you just gotta get real friendly with your butcher,try to buy all your meat from him as you stand a better chance of getting things for free off him.

also get a big old freezer,as big as you afford or fit......i just put 45 kilo of chicken into mine today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah feed 2 - 3% of body weight for an adult dog but pups can eat 10 - 15%. Some very active small dogs can eat 5 - 10%, my 2 terriers eat about 7%.

My dogs food bowls look like this -
    80% chicken carcass
    20% veggie gloop

I get the chicken carcasses from the local supermarket, they have a butcher there who bones chickens on the premesis so the left over carcass is sold for €1 per kg, there's plenty of muscle meat and organ meat still attached so I dont add extra.

My veggie gloop is made up of potatoes, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, broccoli, garlic, eggs, egg shells, bananas etc. I basically throw in anything I have in the fridge! The root vegetables have to be par cooked to help break them down. I make a big batch and then freeze it, defrosting one a day. I'll also add natural yogurt to keep farts down and glucosamine oil for my older dogs.

There's 2 schools of thought as to whether dogs need veggies - some reckon they'd eat the stomach contents of their kills so they need the veggies, others say they dont eat stomach so only need meat and bones. What I've noticed is if I miss a few days veggies my dogs turn into a herd of cows instead of a pack of dogs and eat all my grass and veggie garden!

dahat wrote: »
    i have been feeding raw for a while now and find it cost friendly though mine are only small dogs,800 gms meat required daily.
    Feeding a large breed i can imagine would be a bit more pricey..
    For large breed dogs i would avoid necks,wings/thighs owing to possible choking if your dog is a gulper,perhaps feed him the whole chicken and take away what is left if does not eat it all,feed rest later!

you just gotta get real friendly with your butcher,try to buy all your meat from him as you stand a better chance of getting things for free off him.

also get a big old freezer,as big as you afford or fit......i just put 45 kilo of chicken into mine today!

I feed 1.5kg of meat a day so it works out at about €2 a day to feed 6 dogs.

+1 for the freezer - I just got a chest freezer and I've never been so excited about a kitchen appliance before, sad or what!

+1 for making friends with your butcher, unfortunately I'm a vegetarian so doesnt really help me but friends who also feed raw get loads of extras

• Advertisement

@ TooManyDogs

you need to go to cappaquin chickens,1 euro per kilo is dear,i get em for free from my butcher,as well as necks as and when i please,love fellow he is!

do you not use other meats?

basically you feed a BARF based diet as opposed to a RAW based diet?

Cappaquin price list

Necks 0.88/kg 15 kilo box
    Carcass 0.61/kg 15kilo box
    Liver 8.80 per 2.25 kg tub
    Hearts 7.48 per 2.25kg tub
    Breast on bone 1.65 each,30 in a box
    Things(thighs,?) 16.50 per box,50 in box
    Drumsticks,raw 28.05/box,85 per box

just got this list today so posted it just in case anyone needed it.

@ TooManyDogs

you need to go to cappaquin chickens,1 euro per kilo is dear,i get em for free from my butcher,as well as necks as and when i please,love fellow he is!

do you not use other meats?

basically you feed a BARF based diet as opposed to a RAW based diet?

I used to be alot more varied but at the moment life is a little hectic with a 9 month old baby so I go for the easiest route and pick them up with my weekly shopping. I had been getting mince and pork too but that was really winding up expensive, I used to get the bones off the local butcher and he charged me 50c/kg but he wasnt storing them well and they'd smell a bit funny so I stopped going to him. To be honest I figure feeding 6 mutts for €2 a day total isn't bad so am leaving it at that until I know which end of me is up again!

I thought BARF and raw diets were the same thing? I just found a diet that they did well on and left it at that, there's so much information out there and opposing views that I found it very easy to get information overload. I know there's a 'prey model' and 'BARF model' but I thought they were both raw? :confused:

Cappaquin price list

Do you have to call to them to buy their food or do they deliver at all??

Cappaquin price list

Do you collect them or do they deliver? And where abouts are they? ( I notice your status says Tipp so assume they're near you?) And are they fridged or frozen?

• Advertisement

can see now why the chicken is a winner,9 month old babies tend to take over alright!!!

prey model/raw is totally meat/bone/organ

barf uses minced meat mainly,veggies,supplements etc to pulverise together to give patties as a daily meal.
    My opinion is this gives the dog no satisfaction whatsoever.

i dont use veggies as to pureee them first so they can absorb the nutirents says alot.
    green tripe can be used to give the veggie effect of a preys stomach.availible cheap also

andreac wrote: »
    Do you have to call to them to buy their food or do they deliver at all??

Snap!

he "BARF" diet, an acronym for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food or Bones And Raw Food was created by Billinghurst. A typical BARF diet is made up of 60-80% of raw meaty bones(RMB), that is bones with about 50% meat,[13](e.g. chicken neck, back and wings) and 20-40% of fruits and vegetables, offal, meat, eggs, or dairy foods.

The "Prey model" diet attempts to simulate the proportions of an actual prey animal in a pet's diet. Actual whole prey are used whenever possible, including whole rabbits, chickens, game hens and turkeys. Generally, the diet recommends 80% meat (including some 'meaty' organs such as heart), 10% bone and 10% organs (of which half is liver).

for the OP........
    RAW FEEDING GROUP ON YAHOO HAS A WHOLE LOAD IF INFO,ALSO ON FACECRAP AS WELL

Snap!

ring and order,collect fridays mainly i think,pay at recption.
    would assume delivery is not availble for small orders like we would be doing

Do you collect them or do they deliver? And where abouts are they? ( I notice your status says Tipp so assume they're near you?) And are they fridged or frozen?

they are in co.waterford.
    i collect them,bout 45 mins each way,lovely drive on the worst raods you can imagine!

can see now why the chicken is a winner,9 month old babies tend to take over alright!!!

prey model/raw is totally meat/bone/organ

barf uses minced meat mainly,veggies,supplements etc to pulverise together to give patties as a daily meal.
    My opinion is this gives the dog no satisfaction whatsoever.

i dont use veggies as to pureee them first so they can absorb the nutirents says alot.
    green tripe can be used to give the veggie effect of a preys stomach.availible cheap also

I guess mine is a mix of them both then because they get the bones but also veggies too. I agree that patties isn't as much fun for the dogs, mind you I threaten them with it when I see them wipe a chicken neck all the way across my kitchen floor!

I blend the veggies up too for max absorption, it mimics the prey animals gut then, I kind of follow my dogs too and have noticed a difference when I skip veggies. Maybe I should skip the veggies in the summer, might get my grass kept down!!
    I used to get minced tripe but my hubby threatened to divorce me if I kept bringing it into the house and it was frozen so didnt smell as bad as it could have! He said the smell put him off his dinner, I guess we veggies can be sensitive :D

Tripe is pongy alright......i have used the green stuff,horrid.........peg on the nose all the way!!

p.s....fair play for feeding as you do considering your own choice towards meat.....

Tripe is pongy alright......i have used the green stuff,horrid.........peg on the nose all the way!!

p.s....fair play for feeding as you do considering your own choice towards meat.....

I figure humans are omnivores, happily living without meat if we choose but dogs are most definately carnivores so unfair to feed a vegetarian diet. It does mean I get funny looks when ask me what I'm going to cook with the 12kg of chicken carcasses and I tell them I'm vegetarian! Makes my week to see their faces. Jaysus, what a sad life I lead now if that's my weekly kick! :eek:

ring and order,collect fridays mainly i think,pay at recption.
    would assume delivery is not availble for small orders like we would be doing

Ah right, im not local, up in meath so wouyldnt suit, pity, sounds like a great deal.

spin down and make it a day out/weekend away,south east is a beautifull place.........

• Advertisement

Ah right, im not local, up in meath so wouyldnt suit, pity, sounds like a great deal.

there is a meat seller in cloghran,nearer to you.

he sells category 3 meat from slaughter houses
    Category 3:
    § Material which has previously been fit for human consumption, including catering
    waste, raw meat and fish, hides and skins;
    § Parts of slaughtered animals which are fit for human consumption but which are not
    intended for human consumption for commercial reasons, or due to problems of
    manufacturing or packaging defects;
    § Animal by-products derived from the processing of products intended for human
    consumption (e.g. degreased bones and greaves);
    § Blood from non-diseased ruminants

would not recommend storing in household freezer though,also has a food dye running through it as not for humans.
    he sells meat in 5lb and 10lb bags,frozen.
    Also a seller as above in cork.......

Fair play to you dahat, you're a mine of information!

Fair play to you dahat, you're a mine of information!

i have looked into an awfull lot of meat suppliers/sellers since i started......
    anything to ease the pocket in these hard times!
    these lads that sell meat as above used to sell primarily to greyhound owners/breeders but since the whole barf/raw explosion normal pet folk have been using them.
    I found some sellers advertising on greyhound classifieds.
    found wax coated shredded paper for sale too but aint tried it yet,not in any way dusty the seller said.

Thanks, is that Slaney meats? If so ive been in contact with them so will probably get some once i get paid, lol. Only thing everything is minced and i would like to feed some of it still whole and un minced, like wings etc.

yes it is slaney meats as far as i know.

as you said pity it is minced.still beats kibble every time!

check the supermarkets for cheap deals,stuff bout to go out of date.
    monday morning in dunnes,early n sunday night in tesco,late!!!
    weekend end non sellers going cheap at those times where i live!

wings,thighs are cheapish anyway,ok for small dogs like i have.

get on good terms with a butcher,chicken carcass are waste to them,ya should be able to get em for free or ask for necks,also waste to a butcher.

Yeah wings arent too expensive, not the tesco value ones anyway. Just would like to feed something un minced too as all mince wouldnt be great for their teeth.
    Im feeding a rottweiler so its not the cheapest.

Yeah wings arent too expensive, not the tesco value ones anyway. Just would like to feed something un minced too as all mince wouldnt be great for their teeth.
    Im feeding a rottweiler so its not the cheapest.

my advice...buy whole chickens for him.
    ya can get two for 6 euro at times,throw him the lot and let him have a whole load of fun!!!....he will love you for it!!.wings are too small for him,choking hazard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuu_etsc_0Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqJyvNzA7Q&playnext=1&list=PLFCE578BB2F7FCA3B&index=14

my advice...buy whole chickens for him.
    ya can get two for 6 euro at times,throw him the lot and let him have a whole load of fun!!!....he will love you for it!!.wings are too small for him,choking hazard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuu_etsc_0Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqJyvNzA7Q&playnext=1&list=PLFCE578BB2F7FCA3B&index=14

Great video, but theres no way that dog is 12 stone!! My fella is 50 kg and is a big rottie. So theres no way that dog is 5 stone heavier than my fella. Anyway, thats off topic, lol.

My fella eats raw very slowly, even the wings, so theres no way he would eat a whole chicken. Hes not mad keen for the raw so have to encourage him to eat it as he find the texture of the meat funny i think so i have no problem with a risk from choking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

RAW/BARF?
    sligopark wrote: »
    Just got a terrier pup - any thoughts on this diet?

1. Green tripe (fresh washed not bleached) - plenty main ingredient
    2. Marrow again plenty
    3. Lamb breast (?) and /or beef cheek / head cuts
    4. Salmon belly cuts and heads
    5. Green leaves - (cabbage, broccolli, lettuce - all washed)
    6. Liver (fresh not pork)

all mixed (minced if wished) and to be mixed with wholemeal biscuit kibble

• Advertisement

sligopark wrote: »
    RAW/BARF?

tbh,dump the kibble,different digestion times..........will only create stomach problems.never ever feed both in same meal,never.
    then it a a variation of raw.......

Advertisement