Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation

Options
  • 10-11-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey all,
    I'm looking to get the cavity walls in my house filled with insulation and am lookin for some info if possible as cant get much sense from the companies. Is the beading or spray foam better and can anybody recommend a good company to do it? I'm in the north east area

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

spray foam is not designed or certifed for use in a cavity wall, DONT USE IT.

the best product is platinum bead, this is a grey polystyrene bead.

just make sure the company is SEAI registered and the product has an IAB certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cootehill

sydthebeat wrote: »
    spray foam is not designed or certifed for use in a cavity wall, DONT USE IT.

the best product is platinum bead, this is a grey polystyrene bead.

just make sure the company is SEAI registered and the product has an IAB certificate

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple of companies coming in the next couple of days to price the job for me so hopefully they should point me in the right direction. It seems like every tom dick and harry has started operating these companies so i have gone with a couple who have been in the business a long time. 1 of the products mentioned was a Super Silver bead

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ThePriest

Hi Cootehill,

Was wondering if you had any luck with the insulation and can you recommend anyone, im thinking of having it done myself.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Having this done right now as I type, along with extra attic insulation. Will let you know how it works out.

ThePriest wrote: »
    Hi Cootehill,

Was wondering if you had any luck with the insulation and can you recommend anyone, im thinking of having it done myself.

Thanks

hi,
    Got few quotes and decided to go with a company in meath who have been doing this type of work for long time. PM if u are interested in the name of company as i got a ticking off for mentioning a company name here before!!!

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Having this done right now as I type, along with extra attic insulation. Will let you know how it works out.

hey,
    If you dont mind me asking who you went with to do the job for you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Cootehill wrote: »
    hey,
    If you dont mind me asking who you went with to do the job for you

Sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cootehill wrote: »
    PM if u are interested in the name of company as i got a ticking off for mentioning a company name here before!!!
    The ticking off was successful so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Sorry to butt into this thread. Can you PM me also. Does your house already have any type of cavity insulation?. I was told by one company that I needed to put sleeve over mains cable in cavity as static will break it down over time. Another company, who have been in the game for years said not to bother as the insulation that was there already had no effect on it. There is 50mm aeroboard in cavity since build 10 years ago.

nophd08 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt into this thread. Can you PM me also.

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 soloeffort79

Can you PM me the name of the company you used in Meath also, thanks.

Can you PM me the name of the company you used in Meath also, thanks.

Done!

Just wondering paulo, do you notice any significant heat retention in your house since your cavitys etc were done?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just wondering paulo, do you notice any significant heat retention in your house since your cavitys etc were done?
    I got my cavity walls pumped last year with Ecobead Platinum (no connection with this btw) and there was a massive difference afterwards.

There's definitely an improvement. I had board in the cavity but there were gaps around windows etc.. In some areas, the guys said it took quite a bit of bead. I had 200mm more insulation added also around the attic crawl space. The heat does last longer in the house, and this weather is certainly a good test for it. I was finding that I'd feel the cold even half an hour after turning off the heat whereas now it's comfortable for longer after the heat goes off.

Rang the co who doing for me and asked them if any chance they could squeeze me in as soon as cos of this cold spell we having but no god. So i'm booked in with them on the 6th january so i hope to notice a huge difference!!!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What kind of prices have you all for getting beading done?

I had been told a few months by a friend that it was around 2000 for a 3 bed semi but I've heard since that it might be cheaper.

I had been told a few months by a friend that it was around 2000 for a 3 bed semi but I've heard since that it might be cheaper.

That seems a lot, I've been quoted E900 - 1050 + vat from three different installers for a 2000sq ft bungalow.

The company i'm going with are doing my house for 900( thats walls and attic). its 4 bedroom detached

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

It certainly seems a lot. I got my 1000 sq ft bungalow downstairs (with unconverted 600sq ft attic, just to get an idea of size) pumped up to the ridge for 800 euro, and am getting an extension (to bring the total size to 4100 sq ft) pumped for 2200 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

To get a standard 3 bed semi done for Walls and attic should be around 1500 euro. I would be suspicious of companies doing it for much less than that. I have seen shocking examples of pumped cavity wall insulation lately. Alot of cowboy firms are not doing the insulation under window sills or in Walls between a house and it's inheated attached conservatory for example. Like the BER scheme, there are a huge amount of chancers and downright incompetents out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Ps: a bungalow should be cheaper as it is obviously easier to access all the wall area.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Just for clarification, I didnt get the attic pumped, just the walls.

Also I have, as part of the extension, taken out 5 windows and one door, the back porch was also removed, and I cut a space for another 2 new doors, also opened the wall to fit an RSJ.

In all areas the beads were filled to the brim, so Im happy the price was for a good honest job.

maddragon wrote: »
    Ps: a bungalow should be cheaper as it is obviously easier to access all the wall area.

You mean the height? Probably balanced out by the fact that a bungalow will generally have more wall area to cover, and of course 4 sides to be done compared with 3.

€900 sounds very cheap for walls and attic of a 4 bed detached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Hi
    could people pm me the companies they used please?
    Looking to get this done.
    House has been an ice box the last few weeks

Thanks,

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Would love to get this done. The house has cavity wall but the kitchen extension is freezing. It has just a single brick wall and plaster board. Can this be insulated or does the kitchen need ripped out and insulated plaster board put up?

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Would love to get this done. The house has cavity wall but the kitchen extension is freezing. It has just a single brick wall and plaster board. Can this be insulated or does the kitchen need ripped out and insulated plaster board put up?

External insulation might be better option.
    Depends how much wall is being covered by your kitchen units, its a big revamp drylining a kitchen. Is your attic well insulated, ie 200mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

External insulation might be better option.
    Depends how much wall is being covered by your kitchen units, its a big revamp drylining a kitchen. Is your attic well insulated, ie 200mm?

Do not want external as it will make the side entry narrower. Attic is only partially insulated and its just polystyrene boards which are not that thick, although the attic has been floored with fibre glass underneath.

You mean the height? Probably balanced out by the fact that a bungalow will generally have more wall area to cover, and of course 4 sides to be done compared with 3.

€900 sounds very cheap for walls and attic of a 4 bed detached.

Thats €900 after i get my grant. Its costing €1550 before i take the grant out of it. Have looked around at a lot of companies before i settled on the right people for the job.

• Advertisement

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Do not want external as it will make the side entry narrower. Attic is only partially insulated and its just polystyrene boards which are not that thick, although the attic has been floored with fibre glass underneath.

When you say partially insulated? with polystyrene boards and fibreglass underneath floorboards. I presume its polystyrene everywhere apart from underneath a bit of flooring.

You need to replace all polystyrene with fibreglass and plenty of it, 2-300mm layed between joists and then layed in other direction on top. Probably only 100mm under your floor. You can get insulated slabs for attic floors. If you get this done you'll notice HUGE difference.

Advertisement