Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most memorable bet?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hedgehunter, Grand National 05. €250 AP 20s, £200 on the course at 12s. Champers that evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

2008 Olympics had small each way on Kenny Egan at 66/1 (dont know much about amat boxing) pretty sure that was the odds, but figured if he got a good draw might have a chance and had won a raft of irish titles.

Same games also had bigger on Ireland not to win a gold medal ( odds in and around evens if i remeber).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

2008 Olympics had small each way on Kenny Egan at 66/1 (dont know much about amat boxing) pretty sure that was the odds).

not really a memorable bet than so ehh....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

ha ha fair point. 99.99% sure it was 66/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Grand National about ten years ago or so when was just a pup, the aul fella asked me to pick a horse out for a £1. So after as much deliberation as an 11-year-old can make, went with Red Maurader (I'm a United fan.. meh).

Watched the race as little by little, the field dwindled down in the swamp that was Aintree and Red Maurader managed to come home in front at 33/1 and making me rich (c'mon I was 11). Haven't even come close to picking a National winner since then.

Had a couple of memorable football ones - one bad and one good. The good - backing Egypt on Betfair at 40s pre-African Nations Cup for 25 quid before they went on and won it. The low - not being able to get money on Fulham/Draw when Portsmouth playede them a few years ago. Had a 10 team acca which paid just over €1k but because of work I was miles away from a bookies and couldn't lay some money off to cover myself. Sure enough, with Pompey leading 1-0 in the 80th min, up steps Clint 'Fcuking' Dempsey to cost me my monies. Still hold a gripe against him for that one!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Was sick this weekend.
    Did a 1 euro each way lucky 15.
    Before I picked it I dwindled it down to about 6 horses.They were:
    Blue Bunting (won at 10/1)
    Kingsfort(won at 10/1)
    Kay Aramis (Placed 8/1,SP 13/2)
    Kakagh (12/1 at the time,won at 8/1)
    Zhukhov 10/1-dead last.
    Knockara Beau-8/1,pulled up.

Yes I put in the last two and took out Kakagh and Kingsfort and I felt sick watching them win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Most memorable wins and near misses

• 1990: World Cup: West Germany 13/2; backed and laid; Profit £1,100
    • 2010: World Cup: Germany outright 14/1; Luis Suarez top scorer; Netherlands v Germany final 50/1: backed and laid; Profit €3,000+

• 03/06/92: Epsom: Dr Devious; 12/1; 10/1 win and place; profit £3,500
    • 16/06/92: Ascot: Brief Truce £20 win 25/1. Profit £500
    • 05/10/97: Longchamp: Borgia £715 at 16/1. Finished 3rd. Loss.
    • 05/06/98: Epsom: Shahtoush £40 at 25/1: Profit £1.000
    • £50 win double Shahtoush 20/1 (1st); City Honours 11/1 (2nd) failed…. Pain.
    • 28/06/98: Curragh: £5 win Heemanela pays £459. Nice odds.
    • 09/08/98: Leopardstown: consecutive 16/1 winners Lavery; March Star c.£20 on each.
    • 22/05/99: Curragh: £20 4 horse accum. 4/9f win; 14/1 win; 12/1 win; 9/4f 4th. Fail to win £19,700.
      Also had 6 of 14 live tickets on last Jackpot race £20k – loss. Won £1,500 on single bets.
    • 08/06/02: Epsom: £100 double Kazzia 4/1 Oaks; High Chaparral (Derby) 9/4: Profit €1,600; Derby trifecta 1,2,3 £2 wins £494.
    • 07/09/02: Leopardstown: €30 treble 5/2; 2/1; 5/2 pays €1,100.
    • 17/06/03: Ascot: €20 wins, €10 double: Choisir 25/1; Zafeen 10/1. Profit €3,450
    • 03/06/06: Epsom: Sir Percy 16/1+ Profit €7,000+ Wins in a four way photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

greetings wrote: »
    Was sick this weekend.
    Did a 1 euro each way lucky 15.
    Before I picked it I dwindled it down to about 6 horses.They were:
    Blue Bunting (won at 10/1)
    Kingsfort(won at 10/1)
    Kay Aramis (Placed 8/1,SP 13/2)
    Kakagh (12/1 at the time,won at 8/1)
    Zhukhov 10/1-dead last.
    Knockara Beau-8/1,pulled up.

Yes I put in the last two and took out Kakagh and Kingsfort and I felt sick watching them win.

Just a tip for ya, don't bother doing each way lucky 15s, better off doing each way trebles and accum instead of the place part, do a win l15 and a 1.5 unit ew trebles and accum bet, the place doubles and singles just are worthless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

megadodge wrote: »
    Neither of these were mine, but of an acquaintance and I always think of them when memorable bets come up.

In 1994 Man Utd won the treble in England
    and at the start of the 94/95 season a local independent bookie offered 33/1 on Utd to win nothing that season. He bet IR£100. I was in his company for the final match of the season v West Ham when Utd needed to win and threw the kitchen sink at them but only drew. I swear he never batted an eyelid during the match (probably cos the Cup Final still had to come - which they lost).

Then the same guy in 1998 early in the year put IR£100 on a double of Galway to win the All-Ireland football and France to win the World Cup. It returned over IR£6k.

No they didnt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Football_League_Cup_Final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

orourkeda wrote: »

Thats the 93/94 season guys mate did the 94/95 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Thats the 93/94 season guys mate did the 94/95 season.

re-read the full story :pac:

They only won the double in 93/94 (not the treble, unless he's counting charity shield lol)....then the lads friend backed them not to win anything the following season, 94/95, and they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Not really a gambler at all but I wagered a few quid on a boxing bout a while back. Caught news the Bernard Dunne was getting a shot at a world title and went to the bookies to see if i could bet on him winning a world title before the year was out and I couldnt find any of them to take the bet - I would have been happy with about 4-1 but they obviously smelled a rat. A week later and the fight against Cordoba is announced and Bernard is priced 16-1 to win by KO/TKO. I knew his training was going well and he had a new conditioning coach (Mike McGurn, former strength coach for irish rugby team) who was bringing a lot to the table, the sparring was also going down well. Now when you factor all this in along with the fact that something like 8 of the last 10 world titles in this weight division never went the distance his price seemed way out of kilter in what was genuinely a 2 horse race. The bookies were running scared after what happeded against Kiko Martinez and had bought into this defeat too much as it was hyped everywhere when most boxing supporters know that anyone can suffer a Round1 KO. I think i got about €150-€200 or so on at 16-1 and then lumped again closer to the fight on a straight win at 5/2 (i think). There was a few of us on at the 16-1 seeing it for the value that it was as it should realistically have been closer to about 5-1. Now the funny thing was me and all my pals were sitting ringside for the fight and the buzz was incredible (not just coz of the bet) and then after the fight we quickly found out that one of the lads wedged €100 on Bernard to win by knockout but instead of betting on any round (which would have got you 16-1) he put a tenner on Bernard to win in every round (at a price of probably 50-1).... now most of you are thinking this is a no brainer but he missed the logic of the "any round" bet which was better value, the real kicker was he ran out of cash in his account and only covered the first 10 rounds......queue a round 11 knockout lol....he has never lived it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

EI111 wrote: »
    Just a tip for ya, don't bother doing each way lucky 15s, better off doing each way trebles and accum instead of the place part, do a win l15 and a 1.5 unit ew trebles and accum bet, the place doubles and singles just are worthless

I never do them to be honest,that was the only one I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

EI111 wrote: »

This is a good tip all the same. Place singles and doubles are never a consolation!

Advertisement