Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleZone Ireland CANCELLED/Postponed.

Options
  • 02-11-2010 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Mick Foley just announced on his Twitter that WrestleZone Ireland won't be going ahead.
    http://twitter.com/realMickFoley/status/29437502386

I run Ireland's only Wrestling News & Article (WrestlingVoice.net) and opened talks with Alan Keoghan (man behind WZI) about doing something together with the show and my website.

We're a new site but have interviewed Chris Jericho, Chris Daniels & others and this week are interviewing Stone Cold & Mick Foley but he didn't rate our site at all.

I thought something was up. In talking to Mick Foley, Foley told me he'd give me an interview outside of WZI and implied that WZI wasn't all it was made out to be.

Now he's gone and cancelled. From the talks I had with him he is clueless, has no idea how to run a business and deserves this being cancelled.

I just feel bad for the wrestling fans he conned in forking over the ridiculous price he was selling these for. Hopefully they'll get their money back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

He came across as a total **** if i'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think anyone didn't see this coming.

I just hope he didn't sucker any poor families or those unaware as I'm fairly sure anyone on boards was quite clued into the crap that he and "his mate" were trying to pull.

Any chance of a link to that interview uwwedoogie that Foley gave outside of WZI?

Thanks for the heads up on the cancellation, think it was expected.

Glad your website didn't get pulled into the shambles.

PS: Great site, never been on it before, but its quite easy on the eye, shall be frequenting it more often :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

uwwedoogie wrote: »
    I just feel bad for the wrestling fans he conned in forking over the ridiculous price he was selling these for.

Agreed. Hopefully both of them get their money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Just after reading the (very entertaining) Wrestlezone threads on here. I got the impression that Alan was just a chancer who had no idea what he was doing and got in way over his head, but I don't think he was out to scam anybody. That's just a gut feeling however, hopefully everyone who payed will get a full refund.

Also 160 a ticket :cripes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Advance warning lets leave the personal comments out of this thread as I dont like banning people/giving warnings etc but these WZ threads havent exactly gone perfectly before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

once i saw the price drop in the paper i knew he was in trouble, he talked for so long about how these are the costs and he is sticking to them, then incredibly knocks €70 off the price straight away...bad omen and obviously bad business acumen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ha, delighted tbh. The lack of respect and content he showed on this forum to ''1%'' of his target ridiculous. Hope everyone gets a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I got an email from him Friday saying noo more tickets would be sold after 31/10/2010.

This sounded fishy from day one, and the whole "no cash on the door" thing made it stink to the high heavens.

I hope nobody has been caught for this, but tbh, I would say ticket sales were absolutely miniscule.

That said, have we official confirmation of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

gimmick wrote: »

That said, have we official confirmation of this?

Well foley's twitter source is as good as you can get surely?

As he said its "Not going to be taking place".
    Not "I wont be there/i have to pull out" etc.

I don't know how this will go down without personal comments, but here goes.

A lot of people said that this would go down the pan for a number of reasons, the high price, the uncertainty (apart from DiBiase) for anyone to be there.
    And maybe if there had've been a different attitude to posters or people connected with this forum then maybe it could have been a different story.
    That said, probably not. There were about 6 or 7 people interested and didnt want to fork out the money so probably 4 or 5 more wouldn't had made any difference.

From looking at the whole "wrestlezone ireland" thread, you can see that maybe a lot of what was being said like people predicting it would flop, no one would buy tickets or whatever was probably all true.
    Alan got annoyed and came on to the Podcast as a last ditched attempt to try and flog a few tickets.
    Where his demeanor was relaxed and friendly, id say he was cacking it.

i feel bad it didnt work out, if its completely true and not for alan, but for the few people who were wholeheartedly looking forward to the experience.

And maybe, (the pw forum being 4th on the google results for wrestlezone ireland) Mick seen all the rantings of us and that swayed his decision.

This might mean we get a book signing too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Im not surprised tbh lads the fact that the tickets where be sold at €69 at this stage is pretty bad tbh, especially after people forking out 160 bucks.. Wonder will everyone recieve full refunds??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

Does anybody know the name of the lads trying to run this shambles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

The guy running the the show is called Alan Keoghan, oddly the website is still taking ticket orders and has no talk of the cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Maybe its just Mick that won't be there.....or maybe he is still fleecing people for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone tried contacting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Maybe its just Mick that won't be there.....or maybe he is still fleecing people for money!

Didn't he say on the podcast if either Foley or DiBiase didn't show up he'd refund everyone anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

Really not surprised by this; is anyone?

The whole paypal/no tickets on the door issue set the alarm bells ringing for me - as well as the price of course. On top of all that, the attitude shown by certain people involved in it was pretty shocking and very disrespectful, not just here but in other places too. For example, a journalist friend of mine contacted them in relation to press access but was told he'd have to buy a ticket, if he did so, he'd get an interview with Dibiase. Having never had to pay for an interview before, as well as wanting to write about the people at it rather than the wrestlers, he declined with a polite email saying no thanks. The next day, he received a series of emails just full of personal abuse! Crazy really, but I guess the promoters were feeling the heat and maybe lost of the run of themselves... he found it pretty funny but when he told me about it I knew it was time to forget about going.

It's a shame because I think there's enough of us over here who would love to go to a well-run, reasonably priced wrestling convention. The more this kind of thing happens though, the less chance it has of becoming a reality. I had planned on going on the Sunday if the Saturday had been a success, I'd say a few people had the same idea as myself.

With a bit of luck we might get a Foley signing at Wrestling Mania or Easons - fingers crossed. I missed him last time he was over so I'll be paying closer attention this time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The PW board regulars were right. (I wasn't one of them, i hoped this was legit although far too expensive to be viable) .....all went down the tubes with that nasty banning business. I really hope the naive & heavy-walleted of us get their money back, it would be a very harsh lesson to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

I've been in contact with Alan personally and I'll let you know if it's true waiting on reply from him to confirm if it's canceled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If this is true then it says a lot about Alan. He came on our podcast. Boasted about being friends with all the big names. Even went as far as to promote it on national airwaves. His business plan was dodgy from the get-go. His slagging of our posters was childish but he apologised for it.

Until we hear from the horse's mouth its hard to make any assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Alan told me last week that tickets would be on sale until Sunday night and none in the few weeks leading up to the event. Which makes sense if he wants numbers but doesn't make sense to the increase most events get in the days leading up to any event.

Sunday passes and Monday evening Mick Foley announces the event will not happen. Looks like poor ticket sales.

Me and my WrestlingVoice.net crew have begun research this evening and if all goes to plan we hope to run a similiar convention sometime next year.

I have contacts for every wrestler you could imagine so we could get talent but we're gonna check everything eles, price, location, demand and hopefully bring some guys over.

I wanted to work with Alan on this (for free) but he just didn't want to talk business. Given the popularity of our site I knew something was up.

Then certain comments Mick Foley made to us when we were organising an interview with him told me Mick even thought something was up with WZI.

The Mick Foley interview we're doing next week is to promote his new book and TNA coming here in January, we've a deal with TNA and will be doing alot more to promote the event so I'll keep you all posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

@uwwedoogie - nice site, bookmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Ye aren't Irelands only article site ;)

Aye I got word of this yesterday from one of my contacts. Such a shame. I'm furious on a personal level though 'cause now I'm stuck for one of my FSM pieces. Going to be spending the next few days looking to rejig a whole article and flesh it out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

I seen the ticket prices :eek: and just said NOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Alan just released this statement. Said it will be on the website at 8.30pm
    ANNOUNCEMENT:

Wrestlezone Ireland to be held in Maynooth on 13th and 14th November has been POSTPONED.

NOT CANCELLED BUT POSTPONED.

The reason for this is as follows. We have sold 450 tickets. 280 for Saturday and 170 for Sunday so ticket sales were very good and everything was covered.
    The reason for the postponement is that we would be 5 superstars down for the Sunday. The Million Dollar man Ted DiBiase and The Honky Tonk Man have been called up by the WWE to do the RAW show on November 15th in Hershey PA and would need to leave Ireland on November 14th thus missing the show that people bought tickets for.
    I was also informed last week that Mick Foley would need to leave Wrestlezone at 12.30pm on the Sunday and Candice and Lilian would not be there after 11am which for the money charged by the stars is unacceptable.
    I have spoke from Day 1 about being loyal to the fans who have bought their tickets and it simply would not be value for money for the Sunday ticket holders to come out and be 5 superstars down.3 of which are arguably the biggest draw so therefore a postponement I think is fair on everyone. The superstars are in agreement to this as an offer from WWE to appear on RAW could not be turned down. Anybody doubting this will be able to see Ted and Honky Tonk Man on the live show from Hershey Pennsylvania on November 15th.
    Another option I had was to offer the Sunday ticket holder’s access on the Saturday but it would be too crammed and not every fan would meet all the Superstars.

I hope the fans out there understand why we have decided to do this. I am waiting on the stars to get me a rescheduled date most likely now to be after Christmas into the New Year. I will need to replace one superstar due to them complaining but so beit.
    Obviously, anyone who wishes to get refunded I have no problem with this or if they want to keep their ticket until the rescheduled event that is ok too but obviously you will need to let me know.

Many Thanks,
    Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

maybe can we change the headline from cancelled to postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Annoucement is up and its a placeholder on the website as all previous details (prices, guests) have been removed.

No option to purchase tickets anymore obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

To anyone out there with tickets that might be reading this, GET YOUR MONEY BACK. Don't keep it for another show. That set up of refunds "if ya want" and if you do want them "let me know" is so amateurish (at best).

If ya really want to go, just buy them again when they go on resale, but that statement sounds extremely dodgey!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

very strange this considering alan himself said he had all the performers under cast iron contracts when the whole thing about Mick not being the best at apppearing at these things blew up in the wrestlezone thread

Must not be that cast iron if someone can just change the terms of it when raw comes calling, dont get me wrong you go when they call but just seems very fishy to me is all

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

At this moment id give Alan the benefit of the doubt regarding his ticket sales etc considering anything else is just speculation on the part of anyone posting. Id therefore assume that the cast Iron contract thing was his way of assuring fans that Pre-this Raw call up there would have been no problem with those people fulfilling their contractual obligations. I would however strongly agree that a refund should be sought now as would be the case in almost any such event. Dont wait to see if you would like a ticket for such an event if its able to be rescheduled, get your money back and then if you still wish to attend and it is rescheduled and held buy your tickets again. It isnt likely to rise in price considering price was one of the things most thought was already rather high and perhaps with the extra organising time more special offers for kids, familes etc might be on offer.

1 thing that seemed odd though is the line
    I was also informed last week that Mick Foley would need to leave Wrestlezone at 12.30pm on the Sunday and Candice and Lilian would not be there after 11am which for the money charged by the stars is unacceptable.

were the Divas always planning to leave early? How come Alan only found out now Mick would miss half the day? Were these people not contracted to certain hours already?

Alan is currently banned here and although that could change in the future please nobody vent frustration that he cannot currently answer these questions through this forum. Perhaps he might make a return to the podcast? he seems to have gotten the most positive feedback from anything ive seen written related to him on boards via his appearance on it.

I will say that the 2nd day would be as he said in his statement lacking star power and wouldent be the same attraction to people who have bought tickets, so believeing what has been said it is perfectly understandable to for the project to be reorgonised (postponed), people may worry whats to stop the same type of thing happening again though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement