Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Post-triathlon enthusiasm over, and back to what has become very intermittent marathon training. If I'm honest, my enthusiasm is waning as the year goes on, and missing the recent long runs certainly hasn't helped. I'm now dreading the weekend's 20 miler, and have come to the stage where I'm looking forward to DCM just being over and not going near marathon training for a long, long time again :(.

Of course, the long run might go well, and I'll get back on the horse. Here's hoping!!!

No Garmin today as I forgot to charge it, a few minor niggles after Loughrea but glad to get the first run of the week out of the way. I really need to muster marathon enthusiasm from somewhere!!

Route: Work to Bóthar Nua and back
    Distance: 6 miles (5 miles tempo)
    Time: No watch so don't know
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 6:49 / ?
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 7
    Personal Satisfaction: 5 (no idea of pace, second half was stronger than first but I suspect not up to prescribed pace)
    Weather: Very blustery, great heading out, but a b*tch heading back into the wind. One heavy shower at around the four mile mark.

Thursday

Intervals today, I headed down to the local GAA pitch and was surprised by the volume of training going on there. Three different teams, between boys, girls and seniors, in the brief period that I was there. The run was okay, all I have in my head these days is Sunday's 20 miler. If I can get out of that in decent shape, I think my head will be right again for DCM...

Route: Home to Páirc an Cháthanaigh and back
    Distance: 6.25 miles (1k, 2k, 1k, 1k tempo with 400m rest intervals)
    Time: 45:13
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 5:50, 6:08, 5:50, 5:50 / 5:46, 6:07, 5:55, 5:53
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (felt it tougher as it went on, a real lung opener!)
    Weather: Warm. A very nice evening in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Pretty nice interval session there. After a tri and a lung buster session the LSR is your relaxation !

I guess I always knew that I could run the 20 mile LSR. My only worry was that, after my LSR layoff(s), I would struggle with the prescribed pace, and so it came to pass.

We were at a wedding in Ennistymon in Clare on Saturday, and the initial plan was to get up early on Sunday morning and take advantage of the different location for a more interesting run. The wedding was great, too much food, lots of me convincing myself that Beck’s Non-Alcoholic really was a viable alternative to Guinness, and some dancing to dodgy 80’s music. We headed to bed before 2am (relatively early but sleep takes priority among parents of young children!), and my wife convinced me that I would be better off with a lie-in on Sunday, and to do the run when I got back to Conamara. I didn’t need much convincing.

We stopped to pick up the boys at my mother-in-law’s house, and after watching the All-Ireland, I headed out for the run. The plan was to start slowly, build up pace a little bit faster than the prescribed 7:45 so as to average out the slower start, and try and put in a decent effort over the last two or three miles. The plan didn’t come to fruition, however!

For the first four miles, I headed east from my mother-in-law’s before turning around into a stiff-enough breeze and heading for home. The initial plan of starting gently was easily put in place (7:56, 7:51, 7:48, 7:47). I had planned to pick up the pace a bit after the four mile turnaround but running into the wind stopped me from gaining any immediate momentum. I was still running over the pace by the time I picked up a water belt as I passed by my wife’s family home again at the eight mile mark (7:52, 7:45, 7:51, 7:51), but after that, I managed to up the pace a bit and felt good (7:40, 7:39, 7:38, 7:38, 7:43).

Although I was feeling fine, I began to slow down again at mile 13 and I couldn’t really get any momentum going. I took the emergency gel to see if that would help, but no. At mile 15, the legs began to ache and I was beginning to feel every pebble coming through the Saucony Kinvara soles (7:55, 7:49, 7:54). At mile 16, after coming up the long hill of Ard Chladhnach, things really began to come off the rails. At this stage, it was a case of keeping on keeping on. I also figured out at this stage that I had misjudged the route, and had to put in another mile after passing the little road to my house. The second last mile was tough, the last mile was pitiful (8:11, 8:02, 8:43, 9:26). It felt more like a full marathon run than a 20 mile training run.

I stumbled into the house, and made a recovery drink. My wife had drawn an Epsom salts bath for me, and had a sausage pasta pesto dinner ready. If Carlsberg made wives... In the bath, my two year old decided to take revenge for what he sees as the torture of having his hair washed, and kept splashing his inanimate dad’s head with water.

Today, my hip hurts and I’m a bit sore all over. My training has fallen back considerably over recent times, and I have, I think, three choices following yesterday’s run:
    1. Continue the current strategy of training for a 3:10 marathon, while planning to run a 3:15 marathon.
    2. Train for a 3:15 marathon and run a 3:15 marathon
    3. Abandon the 3:15 ambition altogether and follow the 3:30 pace group.

I think the choice at the moment is 3:15 or 3:30, I can’t see myself heading out on the day without a pace group.

Route: Minna to Indreabhán, and back to An Cheathrú Rua, via Ros a Mhíl
    Distance: 20 miles
    Time: 2:38:59
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:45 / 7:57
    Personal Satisfaction: 3 (I did the 20 miles, but I'm pretty sure I could plough through the distance one way or another. The collapse at the end wasn't pretty and doesn't bode too well)
    Weather: Muggy over the first four miles. Running into a strongish breeze for the next 16 miles. Rain after mile 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That sounds tough Rónan. I (obviously :rolleyes::rolleyes:) can't advise on pmp etc but do you think the run might have been any easier had you done it in the morning?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    That sounds tough Rónan. I (obviously :rolleyes::rolleyes:) can't advise on pmp etc but do you think the run might have been any easier had you done it in the morning?

Not sure. I don't think really that there's any getting away from the recent shortage of LSRs. I'm supposed to be doing a 20 miler at 7:30 in two weeks time, and the more I think of it, the more I doubt that I can do it. Perhaps it's time to change the marathon time target!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah you will come on for that run, is that your first 20 miler this year.

No need to start panicking about changing time targets yet, I had a disastrous 12 miler yesterday but I am getting too long in the tooth to start worrying about it. We all have our bad days. I expect (hope) on race day I will be travelling much better than yesterday.

Not enjoying the long runs at the moment isn't helping your confidence either, try and relax and think how far you have come, here's your opening post on this logs target, i think you are going to smash that anyways :D

Marathon: Sub 3:40 (yikes!)

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah you will come on for that run, is that your first 20 miler this year.

No need to start panicking about changing time targets yet, I had a disastrous 12 miler yesterday but I am getting too long in the tooth to start worrying about it. We all have our bad days. I expect (hope) on race day I will be travelling much better than yesterday.

Not enjoying the long runs at the moment isn't helping your confidence either, try and relax and think how far you have come, here's your opening post on this logs target, i think you are going to smash that anyways :D

Marathon: Sub 3:40 (yikes!)

Cheers, I had forgotten that 3:40 was a target!!

As for 20 milers, this should have been my fourth. The first was at 8:13 pace and was relatively comfortable. The second, I did Gaelforce in lieu. The third, I was out with an infection... So in effect, I've done two, and another one to go.

I saw you posting about HIM Galway. You're thinking about it, I presume? It would be a nice target if I get the swimming sorted over winter!!

Ah yeah I suppose you would have to do your local one, I am from Salthill originally before Mrs C pulled me out by the ears to the stix so it would be one to enjoy. Its more or less local to yourselves as well as the turn around point isnt far from Carraroe. I definetly think you will have your arch nemesis nailed before the finish at those distances.:D

The swimming is the smallest jump from sprint to 1/2 Ironman, Yes its certainly long enough away for you to get the hang of the swimming, probably even long enough away for you to leave the pool swimming and wait for the sea in May, 4 solid months of swim training should see you right, Gavin Noble was interviewed recently on irishtriathlon.com (see below) and he had me thinking were all my hours in technique and drills wasted. Certainly getting a half decent stroke is a necessity but after that I dont know anymore. Certainly being swimfit was the biggest help for me this year, I am not a fast swimmer but the distances dont bother me at all

IT: At this time of the year triathletes are always thinking about improving their swim over the winter. Are their any top tips that you can give?

GN: Swimming is an interesting subject. I don’t think I shocked people who attended Tricamps but I maybe had a different approach. In 2008 when I started helping a small group of athletes the first thing I said was that I would not be wasting any time in swimming training on fancy drills or technique. We incorporated some technique work but that was diguised in strength sets or specific sets designed for open water triathlons. If you have for example 3x60min sessions per week you have to be time efficient and get the very most from each session. Unless you have a coach on pool deck all of the time then I believe your wasting your time with many of the drills coaches offer as the secret way to improve. With my group I was not concerned with turning them into beautiful pool swimmers. I trained them to be conditioned, conditioned for the demands of triathlons. There is no secret drill or session that will suddenly transform your swimming. I know people get very frustrated with swimming as you improve very quickly in biking and running proportionatly to the time you spend out on the roads. But not so with swimming and therefore triathletes look for the reason why. The best way to improve your swimming this winter is to swim with a group and swim consistantly every week. It is not by going and getting a one off 2hour technique session. 2 well structured 2km swim sessions for a period of 12 weeks will have you swimming better than 1x5km session every so often. As triathletes our challenge is then being able to transfer that to the open water, no black lines and lots of hustle. I sometimes think only a triathlete understands that . . .

That bit by Noble is interesting. I don't think it applies to total beginners like me though as I definitely have to get some coaching on technique...

Do you know what the route is for the HIM? Seanaphéistín is a lonnnnggggg drag! I might be out of the water by the time you land in Oughterard!
    catweazle wrote: »
    Ah yeah I suppose you would have to do your local one, I am from Salthill originally before Mrs C pulled me out by the ears to the stix so it would be one to enjoy. Its more or less local to yourselves as well as the turn around point isnt far from Carraroe. I definetly think you will have your arch nemesis nailed before the finish at those distances.:D

The swimming is the smallest jump from sprint to 1/2 Ironman, Yes its certainly long enough away for you to get the hang of the swimming, probably even long enough away for you to leave the pool swimming and wait for the sea in May, 4 solid months of swim training should see you right, Gavin Noble was interviewed recently on irishtriathlon.com (see below) and he had me thinking were all my hours in technique and drills wasted. Certainly getting a half decent stroke is a necessity but after that I dont know anymore. Certainly being swimfit was the biggest help for me this year, I am not a fast swimmer but the distances dont bother me at all

IT: At this time of the year triathletes are always thinking about improving their swim over the winter. Are their any top tips that you can give?

GN: Swimming is an interesting subject. I don’t think I shocked people who attended Tricamps but I maybe had a different approach. In 2008 when I started helping a small group of athletes the first thing I said was that I would not be wasting any time in swimming training on fancy drills or technique. We incorporated some technique work but that was diguised in strength sets or specific sets designed for open water triathlons. If you have for example 3x60min sessions per week you have to be time efficient and get the very most from each session. Unless you have a coach on pool deck all of the time then I believe your wasting your time with many of the drills coaches offer as the secret way to improve. With my group I was not concerned with turning them into beautiful pool swimmers. I trained them to be conditioned, conditioned for the demands of triathlons. There is no secret drill or session that will suddenly transform your swimming. I know people get very frustrated with swimming as you improve very quickly in biking and running proportionatly to the time you spend out on the roads. But not so with swimming and therefore triathletes look for the reason why. The best way to improve your swimming this winter is to swim with a group and swim consistantly every week. It is not by going and getting a one off 2hour technique session. 2 well structured 2km swim sessions for a period of 12 weeks will have you swimming better than 1x5km session every so often. As triathletes our challenge is then being able to transfer that to the open water, no black lines and lots of hustle. I sometimes think only a triathlete understands that . . .

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I would say you would need a basic functional stroke, but he might be right, I see plenty of those tri elites racing on Eurosport and some of them dont look that smooth but they are just thrashing out the strokes relentlessly.

I don't know exactly the route but I would say this is what they are looking at this http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/galway/217502797466

Last I heard they had one of two potential transition areas in mind, Salthill Park or the docks.

After the last demotivating 20 miler, I had a bit of a layoff. Today was an important run for me, mentally, it being 10 miles at PMP. The PMP of 7:11 is not actually my PMP, though, but for the 3:10 programme I'm following. Actual PMP will be 7:26, or whatever the 3:15 pacers I'll be following propose on the day! Anyways, things went well, the only downside being the return of the dull ache on the left hip after 7 miles. Think I need to get it checked out before it becomes anything other than a minor ache!

Route: Work to An Cnoc, Indreabhán, and back
    Distance: 11 miles (10 miles tempo)
    Time: 1:19:00
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:11 / 7:15, 7:13, 7:09, 7:19, 7:10, 6:50, 7:03, 7:06, 7:06, 7:11
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (felt good, second half was strong)
    Weather: Cool, and a bit of a breeze. A nice evening for running

ronanmac wrote: »
    After the last demotivating 20 miler, I had a bit of a layoff. Today was an important run for me, mentally, it being 10 miles at PMP. The PMP of 7:11 is not actually my PMP, though, but for the 3:10 programme I'm following. Actual PMP will be 7:26, or whatever the 3:15 pacers I'll be following propose on the day!

Wow - you're really pushing it. Three days after a tempo session you do a LSR planned at 19 seconds slower than PMP. That's pretty ambitious. I would not second guessing myself based on that .. it is supposed to be an LSR ! And then following with a PMP run that's PMP+15 ....

My max continuous PMP length has been 14 miles (did 20 but that in 4 intervals, 2-3 minutes breaks and with a pace group) - and I am hoping to stay with the 3.15 pace group myself.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Wow - you're really pushing it. Three days after a tempo session you do a LSR planned at 19 seconds slower than PMP. That's pretty ambitious. I would not second guessing myself based on that .. it is supposed to be an LSR ! And then following with a PMP run that's PMP+15 ....

My max continuous PMP length has been 14 miles (did 20 but that in 4 intervals, 2-3 minutes breaks and with a pace group) - and I am hoping to stay with the 3.15 pace group myself.

I guess what my worry on the day is that I've missed such a chunk of LSRs and other runs that I won't be able to maintain the required pace for the 26 miles. If you don't mind, I might bring along a rope and you can keep in the 3:15 group when I begin to fade!!

Sunday 26 September

The second last LSR before the taper. Hurrah!!! I felt pretty good for much of this run, other than the now usual hip niggle that appears at mile 7 and that I still have to check out. I broke a rule that I set out at the start of this marathon training cycle to stick with the set pace, and was running a bunch of miles early on at about 7:15. This, of course, came back to bite me in the ass later in the run and my other rule (well, more objective than rule) to finish long runs strongly went to the wayside as I finished the last two miles 10 seconds over the prescribed pace.

Overall, I was happy enough though. The last mile was a bit of a struggle (I don't wear a HRM but I'd guess my heart rate was going through the roof), but I'd be in better shape if I had run a more even pace. Next week's 20 miler will be interesting. I guess I will know then what the DCM plan will be!

Route: Home to Leitir Móir and back to An Cheathrú Rua
    Distance: 15 miles
    Time: 1:51:05
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:25 / 7:24
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 7.5, and 9 for the last mile!
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (steady but need to run a more even pace)
    Weather: First day since summer began that it felt chilly heading out, but a nice day to run

The last big week before the taper! Yesterday's run was postponed until today due to work being extremely busy. Nice and quiet today! Run was grand, although I'm either imagining or feeling lots of silly little niggles. A tough run at the end, but satisfying like a feed of porter (this year without drink is beginning to get to me :)).

Route: Quiet, flat bóithrín beside work
    Distance: 6.6 miles (400m intervals with 400m rest intervals)
    Time: 58:02
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 5:36 / 5:38, 5:31, 5:29, 5:28, 5:27, 5:23, 5:41, 5:21, 5:28, 5:33,
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (tough at the end, but it felt like a good, solid interval session.)
    Weather: Very warm. Quite a contrast to yesterday's deluge.

I guess what my worry on the day is that I've missed such a chunk of LSRs and other runs that I won't be able to maintain the required pace for the 26 miles. If you don't mind, I might bring along a rope and you can keep in the 3:15 group when I begin to fade!!

I think we all worry about that ( reading your log makes me worry now !). Just don't leave your race on the training roads. Cracking sessions.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I think we all worry about that ( reading your log makes me worry now !). Just don't leave your race on the training roads. Cracking sessions.

Cheers, pgmcpq. The sessions are tough, if not few and far between! I've totally neglected to do the cross-training requirements of the Furman programme, which are supposed to supplement the three-day week nature of the running side of things.

I would be curious as to your opinion of something I'm trying to sort out in my own head regarding training pace for the remainder of the programme. As you know, I'm following a 3:10 programme but plan to run 3:15, which means my remaining longs runs are 20 miles@7:30, 13 miles@7:15 and 10 miles@7:15.

What I'm wondering is if I should start running at the 3:15 programme pace as I come closer to race day. I can't remember exactly what's prescribed for the 20 miler, I think it's 7:41, and the 13 and 10 milers are to be run at 7:26. Your comment about leaving my race on the training road is what I've wondering about myself. Any opinion?

Oh, and as for my log making you worried, I don't think you have much cause for concern. The quality and volume of training you've put in will hold you in good stead. Compare your last week of 69 miles to my 26 :o:o.

Cheers, pgmcpq. The sessions are tough, if not few and far between! I've totally neglected to do the cross-training requirements of the Furman programme, which are supposed to supplement the three-day week nature of the running side of things.

I would be curious as to your opinion of something I'm trying to sort out in my own head regarding training pace for the remainder of the programme. As you know, I'm following a 3:10 programme but plan to run 3:15, which means my remaining longs runs are 20 miles@7:30, 13 miles@7:15 and 10 miles@7:15.

What I'm wondering is if I should start running at the 3:15 programme pace as I come closer to race day. I can't remember exactly what's prescribed for the 20 miler, I think it's 7:41, and the 13 and 10 milers are to be run at 7:26. Your comment about leaving my race on the training road is what I've wondering about myself. Any opinion?

Oh, and as for my log making you worried, I don't think you have much cause for concern. The quality and volume of training you've put in will hold you in good stead. Compare your last week of 69 miles to my 26 :o:o.

I know Furman is based on lower mileage. I'm guessing it advocates lower mileage but long runs at PMP ? There may not be much of a difference between your 26 and my 69 given that your 26 are really piling on the pace and the vast majority of mine are well below PMP.

I am not experienced enough to advise. The longest continuous run at PMP I have done was 14 miles. I guess the answer to the question probably depends on how long it takes you to recover from the 20 at pmp. If you've been recovering sufficently to get through the program then at this stage I would doubt 11 seconds a mile is going to make a hugh difference in the long run (no pun intended) ... but hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself will comment.

I'll be interested to see how you get on. Over the winter I doubt if I will be able to keep my current mileage up unless I start to do the bulk of it in the gym. A lower milage plan might be the answer.

A good run with no complaints for a change. Eight miles up the Bóthar Nua brought me to the end of the road and up a track to a mobile phone mast. Heading down was nicer than going up!

Route: Work to Bóthar Nua and back
    Distance: 8 miles (1 mile warm-up, 7 miles tempo)
    Time: 56:58
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:11 / 7:06, 7:06, 7:08, 6:46, 7:11, 7:03, 7:04
    Personal Satisfaction: 8.5 (feeling good, the brain feeling better about the weekend's LSR!)
    Weather: Really muggy. Surprisingly warm and sweaty this time of year.

• Advertisement

That's the twenty miler done with and I'm still not really sure as to race strategy on marathon day :confused:.

My plan of training at 3:10 pace had the 20 miles down at 7:30 pace, while the actual race target time plan of 3:15 had the pace down at 7:41. I wasn't too sure heading out what my plan for the day would be, but I decided I'd aim to run it at a mid 7:30 something pace. I headed out from my mother-in-law's house in Na Minna, Indreabhán, ten miles east to Trá na bhForbacha. A relatively flat course, as close in Conamara to the DCM course as you could find.

The first mile was a slow starter at 7:38, but after a while, I was averaging 7:33 to 7:35 and happy enough with that. I got to the turnaround and faced into a blustery wind, fine in spots but strong enough in places. After about 12 miles, I noticed the Garmin to be pretty erratic, jumping from 6:** pace to 8:** and down to 4:02 pace. That's when I definitely knew it was playing up!! Shortly after that, it stopped picking up GPS signal altogether and it was a case of keeping on keeping on home.

Looking at my time, I knew I wasn't going to make the run in either the 7:30 pace OR the 7:41 pace, and landed home in 2:34:04. The downside was it was slower than planned, the upside was there wasn't the physical collapse I had experienced over the last few miles on more recent LSRs, and it was the fastest I've ever run 20!

In the end, it turned out that the pace was 7:42, so what to do on the day? I'm really not sure yet. My choices are going out with the 3:15 pace group, striking out alone for 3:20, or following the 3:30 group. It's more likely to be one of the first two choices. Let's see!

Route: Na Minna to Trá na bhForbacha and back
    Distance: 20 miles
    Time: 2:34:04
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:30 or 7:41 :o/ 7:42
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (slower than targetted but felt better at the end than after previous runs)
    Weather: South-westerly wind, but stayed dry. A nice day to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

20 miles done before 9am :eek: Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I reckon the 3:15 group for you

Bally8 wrote: »
    20 miles done before 9am :eek: Wow!

Eh, not quite :o. Was so shagged after yesterday's run that I didn't update the log until I got up with the kids this morning. A diversion from Peppa Pig!

ULstudent wrote: »
    I reckon the 3:15 group for you

Thanks for the vote of confidence, ULstudent! I'll probably go that way, and even if I do tail off, I'll get in under 3:20 (here's hoping!). My own fault for letting various circumstances (post-Gaelforce fatigue, illness, work etc) getting in the way of a chunk of serious training a few weeks back. I'd feel more confident if I had that done, but what's done is done! Now for a taper and feeling stronger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Eh, not quite :o. Was so shagged after yesterday's run that I didn't update the log until I got up with the kids this morning. A diversion from Peppa Pig!

Ha! I was impressed too.
    anyway... 3.15 pacers. No question!

Tuesday 05 October

I was staying a hotel in Dublin on Monday night, and decided to do my intervals on the treadmill in the hotel "fitness suite" in the morning. As bizarre and sterile a place I ever came across. Nobody else in there, no water, no towels, lights come on automatically when you walk in. There's a lot to be said for running outside.

Anyway, it was my first time in a long time on a treadmill and I really disliked it. A combination of a shortage of time and shortage of breath meant that I did six, rather than eight, of the 800 metre repeats.

Route: Treadmill in a hotel near Newland's Cross
    Distance: 5 miles (800m intervals with 1:30 minute rest intervals)
    Time: Not sure as I stopped and started the treadmill twice
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 5:44 / 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 9.5
    Personal Satisfaction: 6 (found it very tough (good), didn't complete the session (bad), really didn't like the treadmill experience.)
    Weather: NA

Tuesday 05 October

I was staying a hotel in Dublin on Monday night, and decided to do my intervals on the treadmill in the hotel "fitness suite" in the morning. As bizarre and sterile a place I ever came across. Nobody else in there, no water, no towels, lights come on automatically when you walk in. There's a lot to be said for running outside.

Anyway, it was my first time in a long time on a treadmill and I really disliked it. A combination of a shortage of time and shortage of breath meant that I did six, rather than eight, of the 800 metre repeats.

Route: Treadmill in a hotel near Newland's Cross
    Distance: 5 miles (800m intervals with 1:30 minute rest intervals)
    Time: Not sure as I stopped and started the treadmill twice
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 5:44 / 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44, 5:44
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 9.5
    Personal Satisfaction: 6 (found it very tough (good), didn't complete the session (bad), really didn't like the treadmill experience.)
    Weather: NA

800s intervals on a threadmill. You've won my running hero of the week award. 5.44 ... that's approx a 17.45 5k pace :eek:. With the quality of the long runs you've put in you've got to go with the 3.15 group.

Friday

A rare night-time run, other events sucking up my day-time. It was really windy, but windy like running abroad, a really nice warmth in a rare easterly wind. My Garmin has died (RIP, shed a tear), so I don't have a breakdown on the tempo miles. They were slower than the required 6:49, much slower. Of the five miles, I think I got sub seven once :(.

Route: Home to Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 6 miles (5 miles temp)
    Time: Don't know
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 6:49 / ?
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 7.5
    Personal Satisfaction: 6 (an unenjoyable run)
    Weather: Warm and windy

Sunday
    I saw a poster at work advertising a six mile run, being organised in Ros Muc as a money-raiser for Cancer Care West. I had been at a wedding in Westport on Saturday night, so I met three friends, another five runners and a few walkers, at the start near Maam Cross. The plan was to run to Ros Muc (six miles), and run back to the car with Brendan, who is also training for DCM and who also had a 13 miler scheduled for the day, sticking another mile on the end of the run for 13.
    I landed late, a quick costume change, and then noticed that the Garmin wouldn't start. It wouldn't take a charge later on that evening, so I suspect the poor créatúr has finally died after many years of happy service!

We started off running in a group, but I headed off after about a mile. I didn't know what pace we were running at but it felt slow for what I was supposed to be doing. I kept going, and lifted the pace a bit, as I knew I'd be heading back on the second six miles at a more relaxed pace. Anyway, I landed in Ros Muc after an approximate 41 minutes, shortly followed by Tom, Brendan and James. Brendan, James and I then stayed together for the return leg of the run. I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to run in other people's company, and although the pace was slower and more uphill, the second half of the run went by much quicker than the first half!

A very enjoyable day.

• Advertisement

Are you copying and pasting your run details :confused::confused:

2 rare night-time runs this weekend

Advertisement