Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The typical Boards.ie LC student.

Options
  • 28-08-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

I got 800 points. Yes 800 points. Not 600, not 700 but 800 points.

I got 8 A1's. You know that subject you're really struggling with? I got an A1 in it with relative ease. The paper on the day was piss easy, I didn't even have to stretch my incredibly capable brain for that A1.

I got an A1 in English. Please ignore my hopelessly misguided grammar issues on this forum, they are irrelevant. Even though I use txtspit and can't distinguish between "your" and "you're" I got an A1 in English.

I got an A1 in French. I know I've cried all year about how difficult it was and how disastrous my oral was but I've gotten my A. I don't really care about those of you who wanted A's and got B's, because i got an A.

I got an A1 in Chemistry. I'm that same person who came on the day after the exam and made a thread entitled "OMFG DAT CHEMISTRY PAPER WOZ IMPOSSIBLE?!" Yes I got an A1 and I refuse to be in any way humble or modest about it.

I got an A1 in Physics, Maths, Applied Maths, Accounting and every other number related subject. I love to tell people how incredibly talented I am at maths on the internet. I have no respect for other people's feelings or problems with these subjects. As long as I get my A1's I'm happy. Now I'm looking forward to doing a Mathematics degree with Pure Mathematics and some Maths thrown in, I'm going to be rich while you struggle to pass Ordinary level Maths.

I got an A2 in Economics. Happy as I was to rattle off my previous A1's without any empathy for others who didn't come near to getting them, when I get an A2 I'm looking for someone to make me feel better by telling me they got a lower grade and did more work. I'm appealing this immediately because the SEC cannot give ME a B grade, how absurd.

Yes, I am the typical boards.ie LCer. Bow before me you worthless pieces of filth, for I am better than you all at everything in life.

NOTE: The point is for anyone doing the Leaving Cert next year there will be A LOT of this type of person, IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE, or you will feel awful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Heh I guess this section does attract the exam obsessed nerds.
    It's funny, I feel rather inadequate about my results because half the people on here were claiming points in the high 500s. Even though I know I got a damn good leaving cert, and it's above average, my perspective of what's good has been warped somewhat by this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

You forgot that everyone on the leaving cert forum is doing medicine, they need their 800 points

Glad i won't be looking at the leaving cert forum again, If i see one more "How hard is honors leaving cert maths, like i got a A1 in junior cert " threads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just remember people, no matter how well you do, it's never good enough for the typical Boards.ie Leaving Cert student. Ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I bet most don't even know what they are getting into. Medicine is a tough life, I certainly wouldn't be interested in it one bit regardless of pay.

Agreed though the nerds really put a downer on things, and I really think about a 1/4 of them lie about their results.

Anyway you would want to be one sad ****er to lie about your results. Sure being ashamed is one thing but pretending to have 590 points, pathetic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Definition of a "good" Leaving Cert ... you did your best, and achieved your best.

For many people these days, it also means that you got the points for the course you wanted, but the first bit is far more important.

For some, 600 points is easy; for others, passing is a lot of hard work and a big achievement.

People get hyper, most don't really mean to be a pain in the neck, OP (yes, there are one or two, but most are just caught up in their own concerns, whether they're aiming for passing it or for 600 points).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Feels like a nerd...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

For some, 600 points is easy;

I seriously doubt that!

Btw I really hate when people say they got an A,B,C or 450 points etc with "no work".

Come off it people! If most people done "no work" they would get around 0-150 points and that isn't a slight on people who got those points.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm lost for words after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

DB10 wrote: »
    Agreed though the nerds really put a downer on things, and I really think about a 1/4 of them lie about their results.

Anyway you would want to be one sad ****er to lie about your results. Sure being ashamed is one thing but pretending to have 590 points, pathetic.

why would people bother lying about their results?? just because people say they got in the 500's doesn't mean they are lying and it is unfair to assume they are just because they have worked really hard for high points!

Randy, the definition of a "good" Leaving Cert as dictated by this forum is getting 600 points with absolutely no work and then posting about it to make sure EVERYONE knows. People who work like all hell and get 400-450 and should be delighted with themselves come onto this forum HOPING to see people in the same category as themselves who are just as happy as they are, yet we see arrogant cocky kids flaunting their many A1's which they did "no work" for.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that!
    Oh, I don't mean easy as in "no work" ... I mean easy as in manageable without killing themselves.

My point is that if people work hard and achieve the best they can, they have every reason to hold their head high.

Randy, the definition of a "good" Leaving Cert as dictated by this forum is getting 600 points with absolutely no work and then posting about it to make sure EVERYONE knows. People who work like all hell and get 400-450 and should be delighted with themselves come onto this forum HOPING to see people in the same category as themselves who are just as happy as they are, yet we see arrogant cocky kids flaunting their many A1's which they did "no work" for.
    Who has every said I got an A1 by doing no work?

can you link to posts by these 'kids'?? obviously people who say this are lying but i doubt there's many people on boards who would say they got 600 points by not doing any work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If people rave about A1s they did nothing for, well then they're lying.

And if you look at some of the threads throughout the year, you'll see people coming on saying they got B's, C's, 300/400 points, which they're completely happy with, and people will congratulate them all the same :)

It's a general overview, and as I haven't been on these forums in a few months and only made an account yesterday I don't think I'm going to sift through a years worth of posts to satisfy your demands :)

Randy, the definition of a "good" Leaving Cert as dictated by this forum is getting 600 points with absolutely no work and then posting about it to make sure EVERYONE knows.
    No, it's not.

I actually can't remember one person here posting that they scored 600, though there were certainly some high scores.
    People who work like all hell and get 400-450 and should be delighted with themselves come onto this forum HOPING to see people in the same category as themselves who are just as happy as they are, yet we see arrogant cocky kids flaunting their many A1's which they did "no work" for.
    I really think you need to take off the blinkers and read more threads tbh.

Yes, I would agree that the forum tends to attract a lot of the more points-oriented students, but that's the nature of the internet and forums like this. Your view is well OTT though.

It's a general overview, and as I haven't been on these forums in a few months and only made an account yesterday I don't think I'm going to sift through a years worth of posts to satisfy your demands :)

well that was smart! good luck surviving on boards by talking about things you have no clue about and by making general assumptions:rolleyes:

Forums like this, yes. The Internet? No ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I think for some people it may 'feel' like they have done no work, when in reality they actually have, and have probably done over and above what some others do. IMO this is what leads to some people saying 'I got an A1 and did **** all all year'.

I know when I did my LC I genuinely felt that I hadn't really done that much work. But looking back now I see that I probably did, and luckily for me it paid off in the end.

You're clearly taking out your own insecurities on those people your unfairly criticising...

• Advertisement

i like pie wrote: »
    well that was smart! good luck surviving on boards by talking about things you have no clue about and by making general assumptions:rolleyes:

Yes surviving is going to be very difficult for me, Wading through ill-disguised insults and snide remarks for the next 50 years of my life really will be ball shattering stuff.

Insecurities? I don't want people who do their best to come on and feel useless when they see how other people are outstripping them points wise and results wise by doing what seems to be nothing for it.

Yes surviving is going to be very difficult for me, Wading through ill-disguised insults and snide remarks for the next 50 years of my life really will be ball shattering stuff.

well leave if you want!! nobody is making you stay here:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Woah. I think the whole point of the thread was just to tell people not to worry about those who do better than them and boast about it on the internet. I don't think TimeToShine is trying to cause trouble tbh...

Obviously there are those who want to seem like the best in the world, even over the internet, but in fairness most people on boards are decent and wouldn't deliberately try to make others feel bad for their results.

Woah. I think the whole point of the thread was just to tell people not to worry about those who do better than them and boast about it on the internet. I don't think TimeToShine is trying to cause trouble tbh...

Obviously there are those who want to seem like the best in the world, even over the internet, but in fairness most people on boards are decent and wouldn't deliberately try to make others feel bad for their results.
    I think people got annoyed at his ignorance and whatnot.:rolleyes: I've literally never come accross one person on this who he described so...

So ... you're going to make large and rather insulting claims, on the basis of "a general overview" researched over one day, and refuse to present any back-up?

Take a deep breath, tbh.

I have some sympathy with your basic point, but you are losing the chance to make that point and be heard by ranting about "arrogant cocky kids" etc. Lose the chip, and people might listen and hear ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yes, I am the typical boards.ie LCer. Bow before me you worthless pieces of filth, for I am better than you all at everything in life.
    "Typical" boards.ie LC'er? :confused:
    No such thing exists.
    Just remember people, no matter how well you do, it's never good enough for the typical Boards.ie Leaving Cert student. Ever.
    Again, there's no such thing as a "typical boards.ie" Leaving Cert student. We have students from all over the country posting here, all with different opinions, goals, interests etc.
    Randy, the definition of a "good" Leaving Cert as dictated by this forum is getting 600 points with absolutely no work and then posting about it to make sure EVERYONE knows.
    Excuse me? This forum dictates nothing.
    The results threads was started so that people could share their results and express their happiness or disappointment with those results. We like seeing students who are pleased with their results but nobody is encouraged to brag, and anyone on here being cocky about their results and belittling others would be cut down to size very quickly, I assure you.
    Your general overview is incorrect. If you're going to start posting seemingly baseless assumptions without bothering to read previous threads in this forum, don't expect to be taken too seriously.
    Insecurities? I don't want people who do their best to come on and feel useless when they see how other people are outstripping them points wise and results wise by doing what seems to be nothing for it.
    I don't think I've ever seen something like this happening. Many students posting here that got scores of 450+ were on here months before talking about studying, mocks, doing Orals etc. They certainly didn't "do nothing" for it.

You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this forum in particular. If you have genuine grievances with any posts here, report them and leave them for a moderator to deal with. (Incidentally, if you can find ANY post that makes others feel bad about their results, please report it because if it exists then I must have missed it.)

Otherwise, I'd suggest you read more of the threads here first before you start throwing around any more generalisations implying that this forum is full of cocky, elitist students who are encouraged to be arrogant. Nothing could be further from the truth.

KnifeWrench, your name is immense.

Having said that, I find it amusing you took time out of your life to type that lengthy post just to conclude that I am a troll. I deliberately exaggerated to make a point I don't expect you to like it and I certainly don't expect you to post on it. Go ahead and ban me or whatever Moderators do here if you think I'm causing trouble. The majority of people who agree with me probably aren't going to post, and rightly so, if they're going to be put down immediately. Forgive me for trying to offer a new perspective on an extremely stale forum.

Good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

KnifeWrench, your name is immense.
    Thank you.
    Having said that, I find it amusing you took time out of your life to type that lengthy post just to conclude that I am a troll.
    It's not really amusing: I genuinely have nothing better to do on a Friday night than post on boards!

And I wouldn't suspect you of being a troll if you didn't make at least 5 different posts tarnishing this forum as a whole.
    There's a difference between making a point to try and encourage a debate to improve the forum, and making a point by being deliberately scathing towards the forum and making generalisations
    I deliberately exaggerated to make a point I don't expect you to like it and I certainly don't expect you to post on it.
    Well as far as I'm concerned, deliberately exaggerating is the wrong way to go about making a point.
    Forgive me for trying to offer a new perspective on an extremely stale forum.
    You say you're trying to bring perspective, yet you have not posted a single example of the so-called "typical boards.ie LC'er" that you referred to.

Until you can provide examples to back up what you are saying, your point is not being made effectively.

• Advertisement

I deliberately exaggerated to make a point I don't expect you to like it and I certainly don't expect you to post on it.
    Exaggeration to make a point is one thing ... it's usually an element of satire, and it often works well. The other necessary elements are: (a) humour and (b) avoiding actually being overtly insulting.

You lost your audience with phrases like "Bow before me you worthless pieces of filth", supposedly out of the mouths of "arrogant cocky kids".

There are a few points I suspect we would agree on:

1. If people work hard and achieve the best they can, they have every reason to hold their head high, whether they got 600 points or none.

2. This forum does tend to attract a lot of the more point-oriented students, and I also suspect that can be a bit off-putting for those who may be struggling hard to pass. Yet many of the latter post here too, and I have very seldom seen anyone put them down (and when I have seen it, there has been a very swift application of toe-to-hole ... same with the other mods).

If your basic message is "Don't be discouraged by those going for high points; this forum seems to get more than its fair share of them!", then, there we can agree.

You're doing yourself no favours with the rest of the chippy stuff, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement