Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Government to outline €39.4bn capital plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Eh...so? Why is Galway "more important" than East Wicklow? Not to me it ain't!

Bray is a suburb, not a commuter town, ditto Greystones/Delgany; not even a new one. I said "de facto" as distinct from "de fiction".

I was originally going to reproach those posters using the sneering "Wesht" approach (I was especially offended by some dolt who managed to get "the famine is over" into the thread) - but reading this kind of anti-Dublin nonsense almost makes me wanna join them. :cool:

I'm not anti-Dublin in the slightest but I can't agree that East Wicklow is more nationally important than Galway City.

Suburbs/commuter towns <-- people leave Bray and Greystones in their droves everyday to head into Dublin for work, college, shopping...etc.

In contrast, 30,000 people from surrounding areas are drawn into Galway every single day for work, college (20,000 students), school, shopping, hospitals/doctors/dentists (people come from all over the West of Ireland for medical treatment in Galway).
    Not to mention tourism - Galway Races gets 200,000 visitors in one week, not sure how much the arts festival gets, the Volvo Ocean Race had 680,000 visitors in one week last year; these are just examples, there are plenty of tourists throughout the year even when there are no festivals. I doubt East Wicklow generates nearly as many tourists.

Galway is just like Dublin but on a smaller scale (i.e. - people are drawn in everyday for various reasons)

Bray & Greystones are just like Oranmore/Athenry/Tuam/Loughrea but on a bigger scale (i.e. - people are drawn out of these suburbs/commuter towns everyday for various reasons).
    Wild Bill wrote: »
    I support that - blame yer Greens for the fact it isn't already built - not the Dubs. As for Claregalway and other tiny commuter villages - bring out the violins! :(

Isn't it a self-appointed environmentalist from Dublin who is dragging the Galway Bypass through the courts with his legal challenges? :P

I blame him specifically though, I don't hold it against the general Dublin population.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

murphaph wrote: »
    Then you'd likely just complain that Cork and Limerick get all the investement and Kerry gets nothing...

It's time Dublin had the infrastructure IT needs instead of just pumping money out to the regions.

Look Dublin deserves a share but if you don't want regions to become desirable places to live and work they require investment. You look at the way dublin is developing at the moment the city should be downsized as the water infastructure is bring stretched by the ever increase in the population. Come to the west of Ireland and you see towns & villages with no investment and the local population consisting of senior citizens, if that's what you want to see places dieing off you have a limited view of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

KevR wrote: »
    Isn't it a self-appointed environmentalist from Dublin who is dragging the Galway Bypass through the courts with his legal challenges? :P

I blame him specifically though, I don't hold it against the general Dublin population.

What's his name again, so I can direct my anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What's his name again, so I can direct my anger?

Peter Sweetman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

johnnyc wrote: »
    Look Dublin deserves a share but if you don't want regions to become desirable places to live and work they require investment. You look at the way dublin is developing at the moment the city should be downsized as the water infastructure is bring stretched by the ever increase in the population. Come to the west of Ireland and you see towns & villages with no investment and the local population consisting of senior citizens, if that's what you want to see places dieing off you have a limited view of the country

The problem with Ireland (and I'm sure it happens elsewhere too) is that we can't pick a few areas and concentrate on them. Every time the government says it's spending money on a Luas in Dublin, a motorway in Meath, a suburban train line in Cork or an airport in Knock, every other region starts claiming that they never get their fair share. So we end up with airports all over the place but none with a large enough catchment area to attract the same range of flights as Dublin, lots of large-ish towns that aspire to be cities but never get large enough to compete with Dublin and a huge grudge on our shoulders.

There has been a recent trend across Europe for people to move out of villages and towns towards cities. That's not a vendetta against villages, it's just that we primarily produce goods and services now, not agricultural products so there's no point in people living in villages. The next Microsoft or 3M is not going to come from Ballydehob - it'll come from a city. You can bleat all you like about destroying villages but it's inevitable that people will move. What can the government do to keep people in Belturbet or Castlerea - you're never going to get a sizeable industry moving there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

You look at the way dublin is developing at the moment the city should be downsized as the water infastructure is bring stretched by the ever increase in the population.

OK King Canute lets downsize Dublin. And after that we can relocate all the sheep and cows to its former suburbs, where we can re-grow nice grassy cud and plant trees, and frolick naked twanging our instruments. Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

markpb wrote: »
    The problem with Ireland (and I'm sure it happens elsewhere too) is that we can't pick a few areas and concentrate on them. Every time the government says it's spending money on a Luas in Dublin, a motorway in Meath, a suburban train line in Cork or an airport in Knock, every other region starts claiming that they never get their fair share. So we end up with airports all over the place but none with a large enough catchment area to attract the same range of flights as Dublin, lots of large-ish towns that aspire to be cities but never get large enough to compete with Dublin and a huge grudge on our shoulders.

I agree. Wouldnt it be great if we combined Cork airport and Shannon airport into one superairport between Cork and Limerick it would become very attractive as an alternative to Dublin for the majority of the country. And if there were a motorway it would only be 25-30mins from Cork or Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Hogzy wrote: »
    I agree. Wouldnt it be great if we combined Cork airport and Shannon airport into one superairport between Cork and Limerick it would become very attractive as an alternative to Dublin for the majority of the country. And if there were a motorway it would only be 25-30mins from Cork or Limerick.

Sadly that would probably make too much sense for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

There has been a recent trend across Europe for people to move out of villages and towns towards cities. That's not a vendetta against villages, it's just that we primarily produce goods and services now, not agricultural products so there's no point in people living in villages. The next Microsoft or 3M is not going to come from Ballydehob - it'll come from a city. You can bleat all you like about destroying villages but it's inevitable that people will move. What can the government do to keep people in Belturbet or Castlerea - you're never going to get a sizeable industry moving there.

Look that idea that Dublin deserves all the money is wrong in my opinion. The other cities and towns across the west of Ireland should getter more investment to counter the congestion that Dublin has, even with a metro it will not be enough to solve there problems. I am not bashing Dublin it's a great place but for the betterment of the whole country cities like Galway deserve a luas and counties deserve proper road and broadband to attract industry

Look that idea that Dublin deserves all the money is wrong in my opinion. The other cities and towns across the west of Ireland should getter more investment to counter the congestion that Dublin has, even with a metro it will not be enough to solve there problems. I am not bashing Dublin it's a great place but for the betterment of the whole country cities like Galway deserve a luas and counties deserve proper road and broadband to attract industry

I was with you up until the idea that counties should have industry. Investment should ideally be centered around urban areas, the idea that place like Buttevant for example should have industry is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Dublin isn't getting all the money though, the DART Underground and Metro North projects which the government hope to build are derived from proposals stretching back for 20, 30 + years. Whether or not they get built and whether or not they are part of the correct solution to Dublin's transport woes is up for debate, but whether Dublin needs significant investment to bring its transport network up to scratch is not. Attempting to depopulate Dublin is not a solution.

That said, I am not against developing regions, but it's not just enough to say, "the money should be spent in places other than Dublin". The money has to be focussed. Cork City, Galway and Limerick should be the three key focusses of the development in the South-West corridor. If they are given the appropriate investment to grow, then the region as a whole grows. Galway does not have the size and density to support a Luas, but an excellent bus network should definitely be developed. Similarly in Limerick and Cork, in the latter we should be seriously considering BRT.

However, my feeling is that "regional development" to many people (not suggesting anyone in this forum of course), is that my town/village/hamlet/hovel etc. is the centre of investment. People want mega-investment on their doorstep without realising the overall detrimental impact this has on their region. These will typically be the same people who complain whenever Dublin, Cork or any other town in Ireland gets anything.

Priorities should be Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford with a selection of major inland towns like Athlone and Clonmel and then other major centres such as Sligo and Kilkenny. Individual towns and villages such receive investment appropriate to their size and function. The current system is a free-for-all money grab with whoever shouts loudest winning the prize. People need to face the facts, that we don't have enough money for everyone's pet projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The other cities and towns across the west of Ireland should getter more investment to counter the congestion that Dublin has

But that wouldn't counter Dublin's congestion. Major cities in Europe and the US deal with congestion by building infrastructure, not by treating city growth as somehow 'wrong' and needing to be reversed. That's completely stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

BluntGuy wrote: »

Priorities should be Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford with a selection of major inland towns like Athlone and Clonmel and then other major centres such as Sligo and Kilkenny. Individual towns and villages such receive investment appropriate to their size and function. The current system is a free-for-all money grab with whoever shouts loudest winning the prize. People need to face the facts, that we don't have enough money for everyone's pet projects.

We have what you propose already in place BG and thats the National Spatial Strategy, the primary failing of the NSS and your suggestion is that having multiple centres to concentrate infrastructure in a tiny country like Ireland means spreading scarce resources far too thinly to make any real impact.

As long as we delude ourselves into thinking that all the minor cities & towns deserve an equal share of the pie the more likely it is they will all continue to stagnate and the GDA agglomeration will continue to grow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Dempsey is either full of **** or just thick.

Not an either/or. I'd reckon both!

KevR wrote: »

Glad you don't 'cos it was a Galway man (or man with Galway address) who was at the heart of the Glen of the Downs; Kildare bypass and several other third party objections to roads around Dublin 10 years ago.

But I don't blame the people of the West for that either ;).

We have what you propose already in place BG and thats the National Spatial Strategy, the primary failing of the NSS and your suggestion is that having multiple centres to concentrate infrastructure in a tiny country like Ireland means spreading scarce resources far too thinly to make any real impact.

The main problem with the national spacial strategy is that it hasn't even been vaguely acted upon, and it nor the government never took focussing resources seriously. Bullsh*ttery such as "gateway" and "hub" etc. mean nothing.

Dublin, and then Cork must be the prime focus of our investments, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the contribution and potential of other cities and large towns. I absolutely agree with your point about spreading resouces too thin. But when I said "individual towns and villages should receive investment appropriate to their size and function" I meant exactly that. Instead of opening two swimming pools for example in small towns in a region, why not open a larger, better-quality swimming pool in a larger town in a region. That is the kind of simple, logical thinking I am talking about. That is the sort of focussing of resources we need.

Please don't misunderstand me, we do not need 10 + national major urban centres. But that doesn't mean that at the lower-end of the investment scale resources shouldn't be focussed. It is only right that say, Athlone should be the focus of mid-scale investment in that particular core area, and then Galway the focus of larger-scale investments in the overall region. We can't just say "invest in the cities", we have to look at the overall picture and the different kind of investments involved.

Many towns have a part to play in our overall national economy and society, I think what's lacking in many cases is a recognition of how big or small that part is. Cork City for example has a large part to play and that must be recognised with large investment which it is not at the moment. On the other side of the scale many small towns have an inflated sense of self-importance and need to be brought to reality. The disproportionate investment has to stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Dublin, and then Cork must be the prime focus of our investments, but that doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the contribution and potential of other cities and large towns. I absolutely agree with your point about spreading resouces too thin. But when I said "individual towns and villages should receive investment appropriate to their size and function" I meant exactly that. Instead of opening two swimming pools for example in small towns in a region, why not open a larger, better-quality swimming pool in a larger town in a region. That is the kind of simple, logical thinking I am talking about. That is the sort of focussing of resources we need.

Please don't misunderstand me, we do not need 10 + national major urban centres. But that doesn't mean that at the lower-end of the investment scale resources shouldn't be focussed. It is only right that say, Athlone should be the focus of mid-scale investment in that particular core area, and then Galway the focus of larger-scale investments in the overall region. We can't just say "invest in the cities", we have to look at the overall picture and the different kind of investments involved.

This is true in general. However regional competencies should be injected into the mix as well.

If investment were concentrated on Dublin and Cork one would see a focus on particular skillsets in those towns. This would lead to an obsession with Financial services .... ie Dublin and Pharmaceuticals ....ie Cork. That is because they have been particularly successful industries in those towns/areas.

However one could then lose sight of the fact that the most successful pharma operation in Ireland is in Westport Co Mayo and that the most successful indigenous industrial 'schmart' sector is in Galway (Biomedical).

All of this is headwreckingly complicated for politicians who are distributed nationally, many in areas with nothing of any merit, and also for the dept of Finance which is generally Dublin obsessed and which gets very pissed off at outbreaks of success in the regions...and most particularly accidental ones or unplanned ones :p

Biomedical foreign investment was only located in Galway, initially, because the electricity supply was way to crap for pharma. Then the locals went and made a success of it :D

It is very easy to blame the politicians. In Ireland, thanks to democracy, they are a very representative of the views and priorities and ethos of the people who elect them - us.

And just reading this thread and it's passionate rationalization of parochial interests it is pretty clear that any politician who doesn't reflect that is a dead politician walking.

There is probably no "solution" to this "problem" - some wise American has observed that all politics is local.

On a purely functional basis the NSS is a heap of merd. We can all see that - even the politicians who invented it. But just try taking my county/town/village out of the loop and see what happens! :)

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/29081

Speaking of politicians:
    Bias against the west of Ireland and favouritism towards the east is evident in the Government’s decision to “indefinitely suspend” work on the final completion of the Western Rail corridor.

This is the view of Labour party president and Galway West TD Michael D Higgins who said the suspension of works was “very disappointing”.
    “It shows a clear bias favouring infrastructural development in the eastern part of the country over the west,” he said. “The Government’s revised spending plan continues brutal cuts in rural areas while spending plans for Dublin and its surrounding area appear to be protected.”

Dep Higgins said the evidence of bias towards the east is shown by the fact that the Western Rail Corridor between Claremorris and Tuam is to be suspended while the Metro North project in Dublin, “a far more expensive venture”, is to go ahead.

“All of Ireland is suffering in the current recession,” said Dep Higgins, “but yet again, under the Fianna Fáil-Green government, some parts of the country are more equal than others, and the west of Ireland is to be the poor relation again.”

And how long would Dep Higgins remain a TD if he welcomed the decision to abandon the railway from nowhere to nowhere? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

As long as we delude ourselves into thinking that all the minor cities & towns deserve an equal share of the pie the more likely it is they will all continue to stagnate and the GDA agglomeration will continue to grow.

+1
    What the government should have done was set up a small number of regional hubs which could have been targeted for development in the form of motorway connections to dublin as well as the other regional hubs, good road connections to sorrounding towns within 50 miles, high quality broadband infrastructure, relocation of some government departments, along with added incentives for development in these areas. The best option would probably have been to target Cork, Limerick and Galway.

What the government came up with was pointless, the end result of which may be that no alternative regional center will develop, leading to large areas of the country dying off as rural depopulation continues.

BMW%20OP%20%286-12-07%29_Page_016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

There has been some interesting & quite polarised views on this thread in relation to government spending on infrastructure. I welcome this.

Perhaps we are asking the wrong question though?

Personally, I don't believe that the debate should be reduced to "spend money in dublin and ignore the rest".

Maybe the question should be: Is it in the best interest of Ireland to promote a sprawling metropolis on the eastern seaboard which continues to (correctly) require significant investment in infrastructure, which, given the finite infrastructure budget, is at the expense of infrastructure in other areas?

As a nation, since the foundation of the state, rightly or wrongly, we have prioritised our capital city. Are we not imbalanced by this? By imbalanced I mean the size of our capital city is 4 times the size of the second city (Cork). In Germany, Hamburg is approx half the size of Berlin. In Holland, Amsterdamn is approx 10% larger than Rotterdam.
    Of course, in France, Paris is almost 11 times larger than Lyon!! (the same debate rages in france).

Just a thought...;)

fresca wrote: »
    There has been some interesting & quite polarised views on this thread in relation to government spending on infrastructure. I welcome this.

Perhaps we are asking the wrong question though?

Personally, I don't believe that the debate should be reduced to "spend money in dublin and ignore the rest".

Maybe the question should be: Is it in the best interest of Ireland to promote a sprawling metropolis on the eastern seaboard which continues to (correctly) require significant investment in infrastructure, which, given the finite infrastructure budget, is at the expense of infrastructure in other areas?

As a nation, since the foundation of the state, rightly or wrongly, we have prioritised our capital city. Are we not imbalanced by this? By imbalanced I mean the size of our capital city is 4 times the size of the second city (Cork). In Germany, Hamburg is approx half the size of Berlin. In Holland, Amsterdamn is approx 10% larger than Rotterdam.
    Of course, in France, Paris is almost 11 times larger than Lyon!! (the same debate rages in france).

Just a thought...;)

It seems people outside of Dublin are reluctant to live in cities and maybe this is a throw back to the fact that the population living outside Dublin mainly lived of agriculture. Now people don't work on the land but still want to live there, commuting in and out of places like Galway when they'd probably be better off living in the city altogether. I think this is why Dublin dwarves the other regional cities. Developers during the boom didn't helped because they were probably in tune with or part of the way life, of living were you grew up. Thus patheticly small regional cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In Germany, Hamburg is approx half the size of Berlin.

Not a good example considering the situation Germany was in from 1945-1990.

I think your post is just as polarised even if you try to hide it :D
    Maybe the question should be: Is it in the best interest of Ireland to promote a sprawling metropolis on the eastern seaboard which continues to (correctly) require significant investment in infrastructure, which, given the finite infrastructure budget, is at the expense of infrastructure in other areas? As a nation, since the foundation of the state, rightly or wrongly, we have prioritised our capital city.

It would be more accurate to say that people think that Dublin has been prioritised but that's simply not true. For the last few decades, we've had an abundance of policies all aimed at de-prioritising Dublin. The IDA has offered huge grants to foreign companies to set up outside Dublin, we've built airports everywhere people wanted them, we've tried to decentralise government departments (badly), we've offered grants for businesses setting up in Gaeltach areas, we've forced planes to land in Shannon long after it wasn't technically required, we stunted Dublin airports runway so larger freight planes can only land in Shannon and a whole host of other things. Not to mention that on a per capita basis, Dublin receives less general taxation than the rest of the country.

People don't see any of that - they see a few hundred million spent on a Luas line and say that Dublin gets all the money. They see new businesses opening up in Dublin and complain that the "Dublin" government puts all the jobs there, ignoring that those companies, and not the government, chose Dublin. They complain about poor broadband but live ten miles from the nearest exchange. Likewise, they complain about bad roads but want to live in the countryside away from main roads thereby requiring more road construction and maintenance and a larger utility network. They complain about closing small hospitals but don't want to leave in a town or city where the hospitals are. The list is endless.

BluntGuy hit the nail on the head
    my feeling is that "regional development" to many people (not suggesting anyone in this forum of course), is that my town/village/hamlet/hovel etc. is the centre of investment. People want mega-investment on their doorstep.

A few points here...

- even though I live in Kerry, I welcome the announcement of the infrastructure to be built in Dublin. Nowhere have I claimed that dublin "gets all the money"
    - i have no expectation that we in Kerry shall EVER have infrastructure as per Dublin ... clearly it's not needed/required and would be a complete waste of money
    - polarised? i think not. my question was not in fact about the infrastructure spend but about whether we as a NATION want to pursue an obvious imbalance where the capital city is 4 times large than the 2nd city
    - in a previous post i have made mention of my local hospital - KGH - and it's downgrading. i live about 15km from same. do you think it right that i should have to travel 110km to CUH for treatment, a journey that can take up to 3 hours due to the poor state of the N22? or, as you suggested below that i should re-locate purely to be closer?

again, please don't let this thread descend into a "dublin v's the rest of the country" debate, because i don't think that this will benefit any of us. we are, after all, "all in this together". ;)

I think your post is just as polarised even if you try to hide it :D

It would be more accurate to say that people think that Dublin has been prioritised but that's simply not true. For the last few decades, we've had an abundance of policies all aimed at de-prioritising Dublin. The IDA has offered huge grants to foreign companies to set up outside Dublin, we've built airports everywhere people wanted them, we've tried to decentralise government departments (badly), we've offered grants for businesses setting up in Gaeltach areas, we've forced planes to land in Shannon long after it wasn't technically required, we stunted Dublin airports runway so larger freight planes can only land in Shannon and a whole host of other things. Not to mention that on a per capita basis, Dublin receives less general taxation than the rest of the country.

People don't see any of that - they see a few hundred million spent on a Luas line and say that Dublin gets all the money. They see new businesses opening up in Dublin and complain that the "Dublin" government puts all the jobs there, ignoring that those companies, and not the government, chose Dublin. They complain about poor broadband but live ten miles from the nearest exchange. Likewise, they complain about bad roads but want to live in the countryside away from main roads thereby requiring more road construction and maintenance and a larger utility network. They complain about closing small hospitals but don't want to leave in a town or city where the hospitals are. The list is endless.

BluntGuy hit the nail on the head

A few points here...

- even though I live in Kerry, I welcome the announcement of the infrastructure to be built in Dublin. Nowhere have I claimed that dublin "gets all the money"
    - i have no expectation that we in Kerry shall EVER have infrastructure as per Dublin ... clearly it's not needed/required and would be a complete waste of money
    - polarised? i think not. my question was not in fact about the infrastructure spend but about whether we as a NATION want to pursue an obvious imbalance where the capital city is 4 times large than the 2nd city
    - in a previous post i have made mention of my local hospital - KGH - and it's downgrading. i live about 15km from same. do you think it right that i should have to travel 110km to CUH for treatment, a journey that can take up to 3 hours due to the poor state of the N22? or, as you suggested below that i should re-locate purely to be closer?

again, please don't let this thread descend into a "dublin v's the rest of the country" debate, because i don't think that this will benefit any of us. we are, after all, "all in this together". ;)

I know it may be a personal question, but why did you chose to live in Kerry?

My point is that we, as a society, have made a collective decision that living in low density, dispersed settlements is acceptable. If one person lives in the countryside, it's not a problem. If everyone lives in the countryside, it's not viable to provide state services any more. This isn't a Dublin vs the rest argument - it's a responsible citizen argument.

I know it may be a personal question, but why did you chose to live in Kerry?
    born here. lived & worked in a few different countries. moved back when my parents got older. daily commute = 70km round trip.

• Advertisement

born here. lived & worked in a few different countries. moved back when my parents got older. daily commute = 70km round trip.

Whoa! Is it worth it?

Advertisement