Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's everyone planning to do with the LC?! (In college?. )

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TimeClock18

Sports Management and Coaching in Blanchardstown IT
    Anyone else?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SYLT wrote: »
    Points will be 590! :eek:
    No-one knows at this stage what points will be this year, not even the CAO.

590 sounds unlikely for economics in Trinity or anywhere else though ... what was it last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

To all the disappointed people, don't change your CAO around too much, you never know, you could do better than you thought or points could drop.

All I'm saying is that if you change your course now you'll be heartbroken in August if you realise that you could've gotten it if you'd kept it as your number one. The worst that could happen is that you'll take your second/third/lower choice. This happens to a few people each year- they don't arrange their CAO in order of preference.

Who knows, I could be seeing some very happy people back here on August 23rd ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Golden Rule for the CAO, which most people don't seem to cop...
    Put the course you want the most in the top position, regardless of whether or not you think you'll get the points.
    You cannot go up on the CAO form. Only down. You won't get it if you don't at least ask!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Sports Management and Coaching in Blanchardstown IT
    Anyone else?

Yeah man, have it down on my CAO too.

First choice is Sports Management in UCD (which I wont get), and second is Sport and Rec Management in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

annainez wrote: »
    WHAT?!? That's ridiculous! I'm hoping to do European Studies in Trinity and if the points go up one could say I'm 'rightly ****ed'. I've worked so hard and I will be piissssed if I don't get it!! But seriously 590 for economics? Insane.

Does anyone know about a UCD course similar to European Studies?

International Arts! I know someone who just graduated from it and they loved it... after first year you can integrate or something to do a BA/MA kind of simultaneously or something... it sounds interesting anyway! BEWARE of the Trinity language departments, I'm always hearing horror stories

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I have Physio down as my first choice in RCSI.... but I don't think I'll get the points so I'm trying to decide between nursing and science teaching. I've booked accom in UL aswell as the nursing and science teaching are there, cause I really don't think I'll get my physio course in RCSI Dub, which is so depressing :(
    I cant choose whether to do nursing or science teaching.
    I'm afraid with nursing because I hear they are treated HORRIBLY in hospitals and who wants a job where that happens?
    And then with science teaching, I really don't want to have to teach the same course year in year out, it would get so monotonous ! But teachers get so much hols and their hours are set, compared to nurses hours!
    I have 12 days to decide !!! Better get my thinking cap on!

Saw a few Nursing hopefuls there in the thread. Personally I'm going for Medicine. I think if you've Nursing down you should seriously be sure you want it. I can't really understand anybody putting down "xyz" course or something like Medicine followed by Nursing...unless maybe they're doing it primarily for the "caring for people" aspect of the job over the subject/course matter... I'm not looking down on Nursing though, far from it!

I've a cousin that works in James', she's in her late 40s/early 50s. The stories she tells are crazy. The abuse nurses get is absolutely unreal, from the public, the administrators running hospitals, the doctors (she's more than a few about idiot interns who come in for a few weeks and look down on nurses working there for 20 years). She's had people coming in, drunks spitting and vomitting on her, all kinds of really horrendous stuff. It's a bloody hard job and I seriously admire anyone that goes for it. They're at the absolute forefront of healthcare and half the time they're treated like crap for it. You really need to have that vocation, that calling to it.

She also mentioned before what someone said already, that in the UK and NI nurses have far more responsibiltity... I remember she was saying something about cardiac arrest or resus courses going on in NI for nurses, something like that, and there's a load of bureacracy with giving meds etc even though after years of working they fully know the consequences. Also hear from numerous people in the course that's it's really hard and very scientific apparantly.

ihavequestions, you say you've heard all this but I'm just throwing it out there in case there are those that haven't... just remember that the really good teachers do put in a lot of work outside the classroom organising and planning classes and especially correcting work like hw and exam papers at home in a Science subject! Probably be working with kids that hate it too and want nothing more than out of it, I know a guy doing Science Ed in DCU and after his work experience has realised he wants more of a science-focused job than a teaching one...

Anyway, rant over!! Good luck with everything everyone!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm hoping to do Actuarial Maths in UCD! It may end up being DCU as I don't think I did as well as I could have in the LC, but that's fine with me!

If only we could take our mock results :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

Hopefully Accounting in Ucc if eberything works out

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Multimedia, CSN :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Medicine...maybe??
    Indecisive like lots of others I see :o I suppose I'll leave it up to fate, and the HPAT lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

dan_d wrote: »
    Golden Rule for the CAO, which most people don't seem to cop...
    Put the course you want the most in the top position, regardless of whether or not you think you'll get the points.
    You cannot go up on the CAO form. Only down. You won't get it if you don't at least ask!!!!
    Much as I hate multicoloured writing screaming for attention, that post deserved it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

so is there anyone still a bit undecided as to what course they wanna do?
    Or is it just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

Was going for med but after those exams not a hope in hell! Maybe Science or Physiotherapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Much as I hate multicoloured writing screaming for attention, that post deserved it! :D
    Aww thanks!!!That's advice I had drummed into me by my Dad when I did the LC......I can't even claim credit!:o It's so true though, and best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

irish_man wrote: »
    yea i have optometry down first.
    i applied to the ucas as well

i think i could still get the points if physics goes well.
    if it doesnt im screwed!
    i dont have a 2nd choice (that i want to do)

our career guidance teacher was a waste of space she told me english colleges wouldn't accept me because their level of science is deeper :mad: was gutted when i found out i could have applied :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm hoping for science in UCD.
    Just the omnibus as I'm still not sure which area I should focus on because I'm interested in a few.

Not liking this CAO thing this week.
    It makes it all permanent and that scares me because I'm so indecisive.

Not sure if I should put Trinity down above UCD either just because it's more points and some people have told me it's better but then others have said UCD. Ahh I'm so confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lulu.x

I'm really scared :(
    I can't be happy about finishing the leaving cert because i'm so stressed out about the cao deadline. I have no idea what i want to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Not sure, I hate having to make all these decisions ! :confused:

Advertisement