Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I was told my stance was too wide and should bring it in a small bit. I think I may have been overexaggerating the width of the stance on some sets as here I squat with spotters but no rack.

This feels a bit different. It allows me go deeper but I'm slighly wary of toppling over backwards without the safetys to catch the bar. I'm not used to rackless stuff. So... to cut a long story short I may have been using a wider stance as mentally it make me feel more stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've noticed that I sometimes widen my stance when I go heavier, sounds like the same idea. what's a soft suit, a singlet? those crazy aussies :pac: looks like the move has already brought dividends for you boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

BossArky wrote: »

Joined a powerlifting club here in Melbourne. Today was first time with the coach going up in sets of 5 so he could find out where I was at. Not exactly on top form due to recent illness, sun burn and general disorientation :pac:

Back to it on Thursday evening. Positive first impression.

This is awesome...

Get to 100kg!

The physical amount of cake you can eat to get there makes it worth it. It's all about the cake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday February 9th: 7:30pm - 8pm

Skipping warm up ~5mins
    ---
    Hill Sprints on Grass - 10x ~100m
    ---
    Skipping cool down ~5mins
    ---

Did the above in Fitzroy Gardens.

I had planned something similar a few days ago around 9pm in the evening. On that occassion I had to abort due to possums popping up out of the ground and trees as darkness fell. I'd never seen a possum before and had no idea if they were friend or foe so I legged it went home.

They come down out of the trees as night falls to scavage in the bins and forrage for food. If you have ever played Mario Kart you may be familiar with the level "Moo Moo Farm" were strange little animals pop out of the ground as you are going aorund corners. Well... it was something like that.

Here is one:

400px-A_possum.JPG

what's a soft suit, a singlet?

Yeah, just a singlet which dosen't give any support.

My standard wife beater and running shoes were deemed sub optimal fashion and performance wise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

had to abort due to possums popping up out of the ground and trees as darkness fell. I'd never seen a possum before and had no idea if they were friend or foe so I legged it went home.

They come down out of the trees as night falls to scavage in the bins and forrage for food. If you have ever played Mario Kart you may be familiar with the level "Moo Moo Farm" were strange little animals pop out of the ground as you are going aorund corners. Well... it was something like that.

haha that sounds gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Attacked by possums..?

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself man :D

Thursday Feb 11th:

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 3x5
    ---
    Lying Twist
    2x3
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 1x2
    130kg - 2x2
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Decline Situp
    3x15
    ---

Had my right knee wrapped for the experience (won't be using wraps) and a little talk on how to prepare for the competition. Got my soft suit and deadlifting socks too.

Saturday February 13th: 5:30pm - 6pm

Skipping warm up - 3x60
    ---
    Hill Sprints on Grass - 10x ~100m
    ---
    Skipping cool down - 3x60
    ---

Again in Fitzroy Gardens.

Monday February 15th: heavy bench/squat, light deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    62.5kg - 1x3
    72.5kg - 2x2 ... paused. Easy
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x3
    90kg - 2x2 ... easy
    60kg - 1x3 ... trying someones belt. First time ever using a belt to squat
    ---

That was the last "heavy" day before next Saturday. Thursday will be some very light low volume.

Bench and squat were simple. I must have made some weak impression on the first day I turned up 4 weeks ago. When I finished the 2x2s on the bench and squat the coach looked at me as if I was the messiah. He seemed shocked that I'd actually made them --> "excellent" / "very good" etc. LOL.

The bench and squat were practised under compeition conditions i.e. with judges commands. Apparently I got a "no lift" on the first bench double due to moving a finger slightly before racking. 2nd was fine. They were just being overly anal to drill the rules into my head. Paused bench was fine.

I haven't had squat DOMS since coming to Oz due to the lack of weight or volume. This is grand for the moment as I'm still living in temporary accomodation and trying to get my life togethere here & training just 2 days a week.

I was given a sheet with my prescribed openers, 2nd and 3rd lifts. Nothing spectacular on the bench and squat. The deadlift will end on a pb if successful.

Squat: 95kg / something / 107.5kg
    Bench: 72.5kg / 77.5kg / 82.5kg
    Deadlift: 135kg / 145kg / 152.5kg (potential pb by 2.5kg)

I weighed in at 80.80kg last night, up 2.5kg on the same time last week.

In case you are wondering, this is what it has costs to get up and running as a powerlifter in Australia:
    • Gym / club membership 635 AUD
    • Powerlifting Australia membership 140 AUD
    • Soft Suit & Deadlifting Socks 75 AUD
    • Fake Converse 19 AUD
    • Competition Entry 30 AUD
    • Total 899 AUD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Squat: 95kg / something / 107.5kg

I thought your Squat PB was approx 120, would you not aim a little higher?
    In case you are wondering, this is what it has costs to get up and running as
    [*]Total 899 AUD

Not too bad €588, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent gym membership for that money here.

Tuesday February 16th: 6:30pm - 6:50pm

Warm up:
    Skipping - 3x30
    Shoulder Dislocates (band) - 3x10
    Pull Aparts (band) - 3x10
    ---
    Hill Sprints on Grass - 8x ~50m ... not flat out
    ---
    Cool down:
    Skipping - 3x30
    Shoulder Dislocates (band) - 3x10
    Pull Aparts (band) - 3x10
    ---

Quick & easy little session to get a bit of blood flowing.

I thought your Squat PB was approx 120, would you not aim a little higher?

Squat pb is 115kg. Depending on how the first and second attempts go I may go off-piste and a little higher than mentioned above on all lifts. I guess it will be tiring doing all 3 lifts at once, so I don't want to waste too much energy up front on the squat.
    Not too bad €588, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent gym membership for that money here.

Hopefully it is a good investment for the year. Time will tell :cool:

Thursday February 18th:

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 2x5 ... light
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    ---
    Decline Sit Up
    2x10
    ---

Felt rather uncomfy during the squat as I had eaten right before gym.

Weighed in at 81.15kg - very close to heaviest ever of 81.5kg. Obviously a bit of this was the food I had just eaten. I'm aiming to get as close to the top of my weight class as possible ahead of Saturday. The limit is 82.5kg.

I'm still undecided about the weight I should use on my various attempts on Saturday. I may try to equal my squat and bench pbs (115kg and 95kg respectively) and then go for glory on the deadlift. This may be too heavy as I haven't trained that heavy for the past two months. The pause on the bench may complicate things too. This means I would want to have my 2nd bench attempt at a reasonable enough level in case I do fail on the 3rd attempt..... but I don't want to waste too much energy on the 2nd attempt. Decisions, decisions.

I should probably write my attempts down now to be clear in my head. Let's go for:

Squat: 95/105/115
    Bench: 75/85/95
    Deadlift: 130/140/152.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Good luck with the competition Boss!

The openers should be something you will nail in your sleep. In other words you won't have to worry about them at all. So base them from that.

This is the one thing that everyone said to me before my comp.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.. once you do one comp you'll be itching for more:cool:

EDIT: Good job on the weight gain!!

Saturday February 20th: Melbourne Open (Campbellfield) - Powerlifting Competition

I officially tipped the scales at 78.9kg after a good breakfast 2 hours beforehand. Suprisingly this is ~2.25kg down on 2 days ago. The Thursday scales must have been dodgy. The 15 minutes waiting around outside in the sun at 8am may have caused some water loss, but not that much. I was actively stuffing myself for the past few days and thought I would be up around the 13 stone/82.5kg mark.

From 9am various activities included:
    • weigh in
    • eat
    • pay 30 dollar entry fee
    • eat
    • adjust rack heights for bench and squat
    • eat more
    • gear check
    • eat more

The competition was scheduled to start at 11am. I was in the first of two flights of lifters and began each warm up approximately 30 minutes before each lift. This left plenty of time to sit around and recover fully between warm up sets.
    • SQ warm up: 50kg x5, 70kg x3, 80kg x1
    • BP warm up: 50kg x5, 60kg x3, 65kg x1 ... plus shoulder dislocates (band) 2x10
    • DL warm up: 60kg x5, 90kg x3, 110kg x1 ... plus bird-dogs 2x6 each side

Everything ran pretty smoothly. I was expecting a lot more waiting around between lifts. There were 25 lifters in total between the two flights and it seemed like max 15 minutes between each of my lifts when the competition got going.

So, how did I do? Well... I was pretty chuffed with my performance. I won the sub 82.5kg category with 115/85/152.5 for a total of 352.5kg @78.9kg bodyweight. My efforts earned me a nice shiney gold metal. It is imprinted with a 6-packed kangaroo squatting on a map of Oz! Not sure how many others were in my category - I'll have to check the official results when they come out. I was just there for the experience and concentrating on getting through each lift and therefore was pretty suprised at the end when they called me up for the presentation and gold medal.

Here is how my lifts went:

Squat
    95kg
    105kg
    115kg ... easy, equals pb

Bench Press
    75kg
    85kg ... handy enough
    95kg ... fail, attemping to equal pb. Pause killed me. Probably would have managed 90kg

Deadlift
    130kg
    140kg
    152.5kg ... easy, pb by 2.5kg

Videos of the above to follow soon.

The next competition is in 6 weeks. I'm chomping at the bit to improve on the above. Could have done more on both squat and deadlift. Paused bench needs some work. Coming into this comp I wasn't sure what level my strength after what has essentially been a two month deload. Now I'm a gold metal winner having been in Oz exactly one month :pac: Very satisfied!

There were some other serious performances:
    • a giant of a woman deadlifting 200kg
    • a blind fellow deadlifting 200kg+
    • a 70+ year old deadlifting 200kg+ but dropping it just at lock up. He blamed the chalky bar and stormed off out of the competition like an angry badger

Prior to this comp I thought powerlifting was mainly a young-fella's game. My view has changed now having seen many women and older folk at this competition. It was a good day.

Here is how my lifts went:

Squat
    95kg
    105kg
    115kg ... easy, equals pb

Bench Press
    75kg
    85kg ... handy enough
    95kg ... fail, attemping to equal pb. Pause killed me. Probably would have managed 90kg

Deadlift
    130kg
    140kg
    152.5kg ... easy, pb by 2.5kg

Videos of the above to follow soon.

I'm strangely silent in these. Not a single grunt.

On the 3rd squat listen out for where I step back on the spotters toe and one of the judges started laughing.

You can see myself and wifey with our medals in the photo at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Well done to you both!!

Boss, well more in the tank in the squat and deadlift!

First comp and you get a win, savage stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Good work Boss.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Good work Boss.
    Well done to you both!!

Thanks guys!

Brutust, I took your advice and went easy on the opening deadlift (well by 2.5kg) and saved it for the last pb attempt.

• Advertisement

Ooohh... I just noticed that it has taken me 1111 posts in this log before coming #1 in something :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Congrats to the two of you! Squat looked very easy and deadlift looked like you can do some more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Great work, especially considering you've only been training specifically for it for a few weeks

Looking forward to see how you progress up to the next comp!

podge57 wrote: »
    Great work
    Molly wrote: »
    Congrats to the two of you!

Thanks! :)

Monday February 22nd:

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x8
    40kg - 1x8
    50kg - 1x5
    57.5kg - 3x8
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... supposed to be at 60% max effort but was more like 90% as these are the lightest dumbbells available in the heavy weights room
    ---
    EZ Curls
    bar +10kg - 3x10 ... @60% max effort
    ---
    Lying Tricep Extension (EZ bar)
    bar +10kg - 3x10 ... @60% max effort
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x8
    80kg - 1x5
    95kg - 3x8
    ---
    Squat
    50kg - 1x8
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 3x8
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 1x10
    15kg - 3x10
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~ a few minues
    ---

I was given the option of taking today off but wanted to get started asap on a new program. It is being written up based upon Saturday's performance and will be on the wall for Thursday. Tonight was supposed to be easy going but was probably the toughest session I've had here. The safety wheels have dropped off and the weight has increased. I'm kinda tired now as I write this on Tuesday morning.

You may be wondering why I'm doing the big three every session. Monday is heavy bench & heavy squat with light deadlift, Thursday is heavy deadlift with close grip bench and light squat. Today was an exception and supposed to be easy going recovery.

Other news includes the fact that my 95kg attempt on the bench last Saturday wasn't actually 95kg. One of the spotters reckons they put an extra 1.25kg on each side, the other thinks it was unevenly loaded with 1kg extra on his side. This would make it 96kg or 97.5kg. Apparently the head judge gave the "bar loaded" command too early, I walked out, and the spotters let me take it as it was. Hmmm. Who needs enemies when you've got friends like that?!

edit - need to remember to keep my elbows in on the lying tricep extension.

Thursday February 25th:

Close Grip Bench ... found out later I wasn't supposed to do this today as still in recovery mode
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    42.5kg - 1x3
    47.5kg - 3x6

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    2x10

Pull Apart (band)
    2x10
    ---
    Lying Twist :eek:
    3x10 ... first set straight through, second & third broken into three each. Popped something in my right ear/neck with the exertion. Someone else try these and tell me if they are really that hard or I'm just a wuss
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squats
    20kg - 1x6 ... not supposed to squat tonight as still in recovery mode. didn't realise this until after bar warm up
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    3x10 ... hands on hams felt easy so started crossing arms on chest like a vampire. Makes it a bit harder but still not too taxing

Chin Ups
    3x10 ... last set wide grip pull ups. 29.5 solid reps
    ---

*moved up into main gym whilst wifey did her lat work*

Lat Pull Down Machine (unilateral handles)
    55kg - 1x10

Seated Row Machine (unilateral handles)
    55kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10
    ---
    Ab Pull Down (pulley, long rope)
    25kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x10
    75kg - 1x10 ... easy. Back in London I would work up to 3x10 at 48kg which felt much harder than 75kg on this pull set up. Must be the way the thing is rigged up
    ---
    Face Pulls (pulley, long rope)
    10kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x10
    ---

Tonight I got my new program, yay. It is stuck on the gym wall for reference. This is to bring me to the next comp in Melbourne on April 10th. Depending on how I go (i.e. if I don't fall apart) then it may be extended out until the following comp in Adelaide sometime in mid May. I'm will try to push my lifts up in each comp. Eventually I'll get somewhere.

Monday March 1st: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    2x10

Pull Apart (band)
    2x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x6
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x3
    65kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    25kg per arm - 3x6 ... @90%

EZ Curls
    Bar + 20kg - 3x6 ... @90%
    ---
    Tricep Extension
    Bar + 10kg - 1x6
    Bar + 15kg - 2x6 ... @90%
    ---
    Deadlift
    40kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    70kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    65kg - 1x3
    75kg - 3x6
    ---

I can feel slight tiredness in my legs. This is probably for the IKEA prowler I was pushing around over the weekend loaded with various household appliances. Finally moved from temporary to permanent accomodation and getting around to sorting life out. Diet has been brutal the last while due to this upheaval. Looking forward to proper cooking going forwards. The gym scales told me I'm 81.75kg today, which is up 0.6kg since I checked on that scales 2 weeks ago.

Tonight was handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Just saw the comp man. Congrats!

Fair play to the two of ye for getting straight into the community in your new home. Powerlifting is actually a good sport to compete in if you're new in a country. Training partners and competition buddies in abundance.

Seriously your squat was eeeeasy. Be sure to use those competition nerves to get a big PR in 6 weeks. There's nothing like nerves to help a squat. It's unreal, they mess everything else up but those panic hormones are great for getting out of the hole with more weight than you think you can handle!

Thanks kev!

Joining the PL club definetly helps with the integration and getting the lay of the land. Much better than sitting at home twiddling thumbs.

I'll keep the panic hormones in mind for my next comp squat!

• Advertisement

Tuesday March 2nd:

Walk 4km ... home from work

Decided to start walking as it is quite nice & will help counter the dodgy diet of the past weeks.

Advertisement