Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EP Mooney liquidation auction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

you left before the 08 lancer then??? I kinda wanna know what auctions are getting for these cos im thinking of putting mine into an auction... looks like I could make all my money back :) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

yeah I think the mitsubishi's were close to the end....yeah try and get it in to the next liquidation auction....i reckon the normal punters at merlin or wilsons are too cute for the pillage that went on today..best of luck with sale

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I'm no car expert but I do have a bit of experience in liquidations. Before EP mooney went into liquidation they would have tried to flog all those cars to the motor trade. Whatever was left was what the trade didnt want plus you have no comeback other than a manufacturers warranty which in most cases would have expired. Finally, this liquidation got so much publicity that the world and his mother would have been there so the chances of getting and bargain were slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

anyway it hardly matters ....all I know is that some people paid way above what you would pay on a bad day on a forecourt where they had a very big window and could see you coming from killarney...as for liquidations in only in Ireland to the best of myknowledge do items fetch at liquidation prices far in excess of the open market value.....and remember the reason EP Mooney and many other car sellers have gone bust precisely because no one is willing to pay market value for anything.....this is in the car trade the most depressed and decimated retailing trade there is.....its a further symptom of our malaise that in the worst economic environment in many years that people havent got the sense to do their homework before being suckered into throwing away money..... having fallen pray to a slick marketing campaign.......but anyway perhaps there is a silver lining...i dont know anything about the state of EP Mooneys affairs, but perhaps the liquidators windfall will result in some nonpreferential creditors getting an unexpected return...or perhaps the staff who were redundant on foot of the liquidation will do a little better....the moderator seems to think because of my notes on this that I am in the media or something.....well, rest assured I am just a flabbergasted member of the public who spent a few hours wide eyed and awe struck at irrational consumerism.......

have a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Any examples of the prices some of the motors made? No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

e.g. What did the Volvo's S80's fetch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....this carry on is the same as the Hogan's one: staggering stuff.

What I want to know is, how do I get my car into a 'liquidation' auction, so I can get over-the-odds for it ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Casati wrote: »
    Any examples of the prices some of the motors made? No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

e.g. What did the Volvo's S80's fetch?

'07 Octavia diesel made 11k (+commission, bodywork, 2 front tyres, €630 road tax and a service would put it at about 12k to put on the road = lunacy)
    08 Laguna diesel RN Reg: 13k
    09 Bravo M-Jet Diesel 13ish - can't remember.
    07 Mits L200: 10k + vat
    05 Toledo Petrol: 5.5k
    91 Hyundai Pony 75 quid - the only bargain of the day!

Stupid money for the meganes and aveos, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Casati wrote: »
    No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

The problem with these auctions is that people who know nothing about cars judge market value on dealership/Carzone asking prices. There can be, as most of us know, a huge difference between what a car is advertised at and what its actually worth. The actual selling price can be lower again, depending on how badly the seller wants to get rid of it.

So, Joe/Joanna Public sits down for an hour and makes notes of advertised prices from various websites and is then happy to bid a couple of grand below what they perceive the value of the car to be. I saw this happen at the Chapmans auction in Kildare a good while ago and obviously nothing's changed.

Often the only bargain at these auctions is the top level stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

How much did the XK Jag go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

can anyone tell me what the Iveco 18seater went for.

I wanted to have a go at it but left due to the idiot bidders driving prices up..

I think the jag went for 44k + fee's so again normal retail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Motor Mouth

The XK Jag went for €43k

I went along & was (like everyone else) amazed at prices being paid. Left about lot 130. Some selected prices:

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Notes €7,750 for most of them
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    08 Diesel Volvo S80s €26k
    08 Petrol Volvo S80s €17.5k - €19k
    07 S80 Petrols €13.5k - €17.5k
    07 S80 Diesels €22.5k - €23.5k
    07 Volkwagen Golf 1.4 €12,750
    07 BMW 316 ES bog spec €16,500
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

These are all before auctioneers fees 5% + VAT and €180 indemnity insurance, so a lot of cars made a lot more than retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Madness.

The liquidators will be happy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone know how much the automatic Sonata went for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The XK Jag went for €43k

I went along & was (like everyone else) amazed at prices being paid. Left about lot 130. Some selected prices:

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

These are all before auctioneers fees 5% + VAT and €180 indemnity insurance, so a lot of cars made a lot more than retail

I agree with you there - there seemed to be a lot of punters who hadn't done their homework as regards prices - paying retail, when they should not have paid more than wholesale;)

Did you by any chance happen to note the prices that the Hyundai Tucsons made? There was a good number of petrol versions in the 07/08 range and a couple of '07 diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Did anyone go to the auction this morning?

Any decent deals, or was it all just punters bidding over the retail price? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

fat-tony wrote: »
    I agree with you there - there seemed to be a lot of punters who hadn't done their homework as regards prices - paying retail, when they should not have paid more than wholesale;)

Did you by any chance happen to note the prices that the Hyundai Tucsons made? There was a good number of petrol versions in the 07/08 range and a couple of '07 diesels.

08 Tuscons went from 11.25-13.5k.
    07 Tuscons went from 9-10.25k
    all excluding buyers premium and VAT on buyers premium.

What is yer opinion on 07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

zidewayz wrote: »
    08 Tuscons went from 11.25-13.5k.
    07 Tuscons went from 9-10.25k
    all excluding buyers premium and VAT on buyers premium.

What is yer opinion on 07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k.

07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k 16000km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

9 times out of 10,if a car goes up for auction with no reserve,it actually sells for more than its worth.

people thinjk they will get an absolute bargin so they just keep bidding against each other.

the winner at the end of the day is the auction place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

The XK Jag went for €43k

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

I purchased a 2008 Note for 7750 at the auction yesteray. It has about 1.5 years of manufacturers warranty left and mileage was 27k kms. It will cost about 8200 after auctioneers fees. I don't think this is a bad price. It's not dirt cheap but i wouldn't have got it from a dealer at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Wow. I'm glad I chose to spend my time in bed. Had about 5k, I doubt I'd get anything at all on this auction. Except that Hyundai Pony maybe :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

Any news on the auction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

mr_happy wrote: »
    Any news on the auction ?

seems to have been a bit of a damp squib a least from a bargains point of view

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790073

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

I got there early and stayed for 130 lots and can only remember 2 bargains. Most of the Santa Fe's went for 26k + auctioneers fees of about 1600 bringing them to within 90% of the retail price before cash discount....absolute nuts.

The public (yes, the same one that has no money to spend!) dropped almost 300k on Santa Fe's alone. The only winners were the auctioneers.

Don't believe there's no money out there folks....I reckon about 3.5million was run through that auction yesterday with the boys picking up about 175k in fees - a nice day's work!

Next recession I'm setting up as a liquidation auctioneer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

OCD wrote: »
    I got there early and stayed for 130 lots and can only remember 2 bargains. Most of the Santa Fe's went for 26k + auctioneers fees of about 1600 bringing them to within 90% of the retail price before cash discount....absolute nuts.

The public (yes, the same one that has no money to spend!) dropped almost 300k on Santa Fe's alone. The only winners were the auctioneers.

Don't believe there's no money out there folks....I reckon about 3.5million was run through that auction yesterday with the boys picking up about 175k in fees - a nice day's work!

Next recession I'm setting up as a liquidation auctioneer!
    I'm with you on that !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I actually think they've re-opened, so they must've got it in the end.

I don't see how there would be any question marks over them. From my understanding they were a very good dealer for customer service, just a little expensive for used cars.

A relative of mine recently had cause to write a letter of complaint to the manufaturer's representatives here in Ireland. The reps called my relative enquiring further about the details. They said that he wasn't the only one to complain. He was surprised to hear from the company that they were considering denying an application for dealership from certain person based on these complaints.

Strange thing to say over the phone to a customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Anyone know what the 07 Honda Accord diesel sold for??

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Anyone know what the 07 Honda Accord diesel sold for??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

so did everything sell after??

I wonder was there ma ny car waiting for deposits that didnt come??

I've tried ringing to see if the minibus sold and for how much but Eauctions have no one answering phones at the moment.

Also wanted one of the new SX4's but I'd say they gone as they did make an OK bargain price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 tipperarycahill

Hi all,

I am having a little difficulty. My father won a bid on the diesel 2010 BLUE Suzuki SX4 at ep mooney auctions for 12000e and was 100% on the price and happy, considering the forecourts market value of this car.

however, there seems to be a confusion. The Auctioneer appears to think that the hammer price was 13000e. Now we are certain that this is not the case. Why they do not have recorder or video in place is beyond me? That much cash being turned over and no written or recorded agreeement except verbal??? And the law probably will favour the auctioneer!!

I wonder has anyone else the same issue with eauctions???

Auctioneers could just ask for another 1000euro and most would not contest this thinkng it was their mistake???

They seem like a one man operation if you ask me!!!!

Now maybe it`s just an auctioneers mistake but who knows?

Did anyone else recorded the price for the diesel Suzuki BLUE SX4 2010? Only blue one in the auction!! This would really help me out. Auctioneer may settle at our price if he finds another person who saw the hammer price.

Thanks and I hope you can help.

Tipperarycahill

:):):)

Advertisement