Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator Performance (was Mods not Gods)

Options
  • 29-12-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

So who moderates the Moderators?

You won't have to search for long in the Helpdesk or Feedback to find complaints about certain Moderators being heavy handed, usually in favor of their own arguments or personal friends. It's not always easy to PM someone if you think they hold a grudge.

There should be a performance review of Moderators and Administrators every few months, too many complaints and they get the boot. What do you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Podman wrote: »
    There should be a performance review of Moderators and Administrators every few months, too many complaints and they get the boot. What do you think?

lol.

I see how that would work

Dev: "How was your performance last 2 months"?

Dev: "I was beyond awesome"

Dev: "I agree! Great! You passed"

Dev: "Woot! Go me!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Always happy to hear suggestions and ideas on improving things around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

You won't have to search for long in the Helpdesk or Feedback to find complaints about certain Moderators being heavy handed, usually in favor of their own arguments or personal friends. It's not always easy to PM someone if you think they hold a grudge.

Definitely agree with Podman here, there should be a forum for mod complaints, then the real powers that be could assess the complaints that had been made, and make decisions on it, but mods are definitely being far too extreme these days.

they seem to be faaaaaaaar too hung up on making sure that everythings beyond PC that there seems to be (IMO) no room for humour!!

Arguing with a Mod via PM is probably too personal in my opinion, things should be kept public, and perhaps moved to a dispute forum.

votejohn wrote: »
    Definitely agree with Podman here, there should be a forum for mod complaints, then the real powers that be could assess the complaints that had been made, and make decisions on it, but mods are definitely being far too extreme these days.

they seem to be faaaaaaaar too hung up on making sure that everythings beyond PC that there seems to be (IMO) no room for humour!!

Arguing with a Mod via PM is probably too personal in my opinion, things should be kept public, and perhaps moved to a dispute forum.

Depends on the forum and the topic been discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I dunno. Coast Guard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The Cat mod and then the admins do.

Can you provide links to show this please?

The admins do keep an eye and if a mod is out of line they get spoken to and if needed demodded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What do you think?
    Their rules, their club. *hic* Now where can I get a decent kebab around here?...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Uh.... so whats to stop people ganging up on a mod and getting them thrown out by just complaining about him?

Also: Evidence or GTFO.

Thirdly: If any mod is found abusing their power the admins are not long in talking to them. I have seen it happen.

Fourthly: If you do not wish to pm a mod the Cmods are their to review the case for the very reason you mention. There's a whole food chain there.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The Cat mod and then the admins do.

Aye, the Cat mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

First line of contact is a Category moderator. A cat mod in terms of hierarchy is over a moderator and normally holds the position of appointing a moderator when agreements have been met and demodding a mod on Admins decision.
    You won't have to search for long in the Helpdesk or Feedback to find complaints about certain Moderators being heavy handed, usually in favor of their own arguments or personal friends.
    Of course you wont, its the first 2 places people go to in order to complain, so naturally it wont be hard to find a complaint.
    It's not always easy to PM someone if you think they hold a grudge.
    You can message a category moderator. There is 2 to each section

Moderators have been demoded in the past for their actions.
    I dont see where you are going by including admins in this?

However frankly I have noticed that you have created this account from your original chompy account, but you give no reason as to why? Is this so that you can pretend to fight the power and then make an example by trying to get banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Bear Patrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Oh, a bandwagon! Quick, everyone jump on!
    The Admins.
    Definitely agree with Podman here, there should be a forum for mod complaints,

Does anyone open their eyes and read anymore? It's called Help Desk. You can also PM an Admin, or the Community Managers, and you can use the Report Post feature - report.gif

So, you've had personal interactions with all 800+ mods, in all the forums, and can say that all mods behave exactly the same, and it's never in a fair way? Seriously? You've probably had run ins with one or two, and decided they're all the same humorless robots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

jor el wrote: »
    Oh, a bandwagon! Quick, everyone jump on!

emot-bandwagon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Uh.... so whats to stop people ganging up on a mod and getting them thrown out by just complaining about him?
    Admin, I guess.
    Can you provide links to show this please?
    Evidence or GTFO.
    These are only some of the people who bothered making a post about their issues.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781800
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781398
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777850
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055768941
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777689
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055774390
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055774262
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773388
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055760673
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055772408
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055201761
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055731203
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055727971
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055756508
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750408
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744336
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055739596
    Sparky wrote: »
    However frankly I have noticed that you have created this account from your original chompy account, but you give no reason as to why?
    I didn't think I was obliged to give one.
    But is there a reason you asked me twice as to why I have a second account? (here also)
    Sparky wrote: »
    Is this so that you can pretend to fight the power and then make an example by trying to get banned?
    Why would I try to get banned?

I don't think people are that malicious, let alone organized. Any boards people I've spoken to seem to be decent reasonable people.

If a Mod, Cmod or Admin has picked up lots of complains, it's not without a reason. There is usually something more to it than him being picked on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't think people are that malicious, let alone organized. Any boards people I've spoken to seem to be decent reasonable people.

If a Mod, Cmod or Admin has picked up lots of complains, it's not without a reason. There is usually something more to it than him being picked on.

Really?

Mods are Boards people too. I'm a regular user outside of my forums just like you.

There's NOT that many complaints, actually. Consider there's about 500 mods, and several thousand posts a day. I think I remember an admin saying about .01% of posts are complained about.

Also, still waiting for that evidence of mods favouring their friends.

yes really.
    I know Mods are boardsies, I like 99% of boardsies including Mods, etc., that's why I'm here.
    I object to the 1% (or less) who are bullies and can harass or provolk someone because they don't like them, and have the "power", or not, to ban.

I'm sure anyone who bothers complaining about favoritism has an uphill climb ahead of them, There may be an "evidence" reference in some of those links ...
    Yeah I looked at one or two of them .... Anyway, don't care, you're a re reg.
    ... but to be honest, I don't have the will or the energy to go through them now, especially if it's not going to matter.

I don't really feel like bandying other people's decisions up and down the thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't think people are that malicious, let alone organized.

I have seen it happen, unfortunately.
    Any boards people I've spoken to seem to be decent reasonable people.

Glad you have had such a good experience so far on the site, hope it stays that way.

Some times it is and some times it isn't.
    I once had 5 feedback thread complaining about a heap of bans in PI, each one was legit but the people who had posted were new to the site and didn't understand that not all forums are the same and the types of posting which is the norm on other forums was not permitted in PI.

The perception of a mod can often be very different then how fair their modding actually is and that perception can be easily coloured by a few people with a grudge.

The post ratio to mod action to complaint is actually very low for a site this large, the number of users and the amount of posts made daily.

I can understand some people may think there is no smoke with out fire and it can be hard for them to see the other side of the fence but if a mod ever goes rogue once the catmods/admins are made aware action is always taken.

Some times it is and some times it isn't.
    I once had 5 feedback thread complaining about a heap of bans in PI, each one was legit but the people who had posted were new to the site and didn't understand that not all forums are the same and the types of posting which is the norm on other forums was not permitted in PI.

The perception of a mod can often be very different then how fair their modding actually is and that perception can be easily coloured by a few people with a grudge.

The post ratio to mod action to complaint is actually very low for a site this large, the number of users and the amount of posts made daily.

I can understand some people may think there is no smoke with out fire and it can be hard for them to see the other side of the fence but if a mod ever goes rogue once the catmods/admins are made aware action is always taken.
    I appreciate your frankness, they mustn't have read the forum rules..

I sympathize with that situation, a Mod's duty is not easy sometimes, I did it for a while in Galway a few years ago, and had to travel at the time.
    I think it depends on other factors too that the Mod should be aware of.. no sleep and 20 cans of red bull is probably not what you need to Mod the "butterflies and daisies" thread. (of course I don't mean you - you, I mean you - whoever, no one in particular)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't think people are that malicious, let alone organized.

Really and you have stuff to show this doesn't happen?

I've seen it happen in the past to the point where DeVore had to threaten site bans to get people to cop the hell on.

People can be organised when they want to be and as such they could very easily get organised and make invalid complaints, in my view invalid complaints would be a very serious matter

This is like saying all Dublin people are decent and reasonable or all Waterford people or (pick another county or country), it doesn't exist....some are good some are bad; to say that all are good OR all are bad is pointless as it would be very much untrue.

Not entirely correct or accurate, some forums are extremely busy and will have more complaints then others and as such more complaints against mods.

In addition when a mod does enforce the rules some users have a big problem with being told they are wrong when they've breached the site rules/forum charter and as such complain.

I'm glad you think that the majority of boards users are decent people this is very much a good thing and long may it continue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Podman, you have (a) experience of being a mod, and (b) obviously a bone of contention about this.

How do you think the process should work?

So, user x has been banned from a forum for trolling, let's say. Repeated trolling. he's been warned already, does it again anyways. Comes to Feedback and complains about the moderator who banned him. What, ideally, would happen from there?

If there's a better process than what we have in place for helping our 550+ volunteer moderators keep their forums clear of spam, nuisance posts and posters and irrelevant, incendiary, unhelpful posts, I'd really appreciate your input of making it happen.

There are good mods, there are bad mods - same as posters. So, as OP of this thread, what's your feedback on how it should work?

Cheers

Darragh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are what, 700 to 800 mods? Maybe more. its very unfair to brand all mods the same.

What alot of people dont see happen as part of mod duty is clean up of a forum. Log in to delete spam and reporting it (and God there is a lot of it), merging and moving threads to the appropriate places. Closing threads that need to be closed.
    All of that before bans are even considered.

Mods dont like having to ban people. There is no pleasure gained from it. Even banning spammers. Its a faceless slap on the wrist to them when you would really like to visit their home and clog their postbox with stink bombs to see how they like it.

Im sure there are mods who get it wrong sometimes too. We are only human. Ive disagreed with some mods decisions in the past but that doesnt mean that the mod acted in a bullying or unproper fashion.

But i have to say, i have little sympathy for posters who visit the site to troll and then try to hide behind some pedantic argument as to why they shouldnt be banned. Sometimes trolls are funny. Most of the time they are not. Either way trolling is trolling.

Id like to think I am a God op but unfortunately Im not. Im more like an angel having to do God's dirty work. :p

I have the body of a god...

Cabaal wrote: »
    Really and you have stuff to show this doesn't happen?

I've seen it happen in the past to the point where DeVore had to threaten site bans to get people to cop the hell on.

Obviously it does happen, as indicated before (like post #20)
    People can be organised when they want to be and as such they could very easily get organised and make invalid complaints, in my view invalid complaints would be a very serious matter

Invalid complaints are just as bad as an invalid banning, it is abuse.
    I object to the 1% (or less) who are bullies and can harass or provoke someone because they don't like them

This can apply to all people; users, mods, catmods and admin alike.

I'm talking about maybe 6 or 8 people I've emailed, plus the drama group. How is that like what you are suggesting here?
    This is like saying all Dublin people are decent and reasonable or all Waterford people or (pick another county or country), it doesn't exist....some are good some are bad; to say that all are good OR all are bad is pointless as it would be very much untrue.

I won't be addressing any more opinions that are only assumed to be mine.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I'm never keen on the 'paint all with one brush' impression these threads give off - It's just painful to see the entire title being targetted when in reality people only really have a gripe with specific people, not so much the role in which they are filling.

It's not about a gripe for me.

When those specific people are users, the role they fill is only as good as their argument. But when specific users have been given power to modify another user's access to a site, the role they fill is a lot bigger, and that role can be abused without collaboration.

I understand that it's very rare that a mod will lose the head and go postal, but it has happened and still happens, and as long as it happens here will be threads like this. Once you stop discussion about it, it's the beginning of the end.

Like I said before, it's only a very small percent that causes all the chaos (in every aspect of society), and stirs the rest of us up; user, poster and mod alike.

Everyone who makes a post has a responsibility to have some self control, it comes first, and mods have the added responsibility of watching over everyone else's self-control. It's a ****ing tough job and hat's off to the people who do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Would some sort of meta-moderation work?

I get the feeling it has been tried here before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,317 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

In mod we trust.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Darragh wrote: »
    Podman, you have (a) experience of being a mod, and (b) obviously a bone of contention about this.

How do you think the process should work?

So, user x has been banned from a forum for trolling, let's say. Repeated trolling. he's been warned already, does it again anyways. Comes to Feedback and complains about the moderator who banned him. What, ideally, would happen from there?

If there's a better process than what we have in place for helping our 550+ volunteer moderators keep their forums clear of spam, nuisance posts and posters and irrelevant, incendiary, unhelpful posts, I'd really appreciate your input of making it happen.

There are good mods, there are bad mods - same as posters. So, as OP of this thread, what's your feedback on how it should work?

Cheers

Darragh

Every time someone mentions trolling, I have to look it up... (urban dictionary) ..
    basically "being a prick to provoke an emotional response", bullying.

In that example (you guys know this already), if the thread shows he's trolling, yes Ban.
    If the thread shows he's been provoked, invite the troller and provoker and moderator (and their correspondence) to a hearing (of sorts) with more than one admin, preferably not known to any party, maybe leading to a ban..
    If it gets as far as the helpdesk, and 2 admins have looked into it, he ban will stand depending on their decision.
    The reason I say 2 admins (or 3) is to try to prevent corruption or bullying in the workplace.
    I'm still thinking of a way to identify the bad mods, or better still, have them identify the problem and eliminate it themselves.
    That would just leave the 0.001% who would be complete and utter barstewards.

The boards process works, but there's got to be a reason why in some cases it seems unfair.
    I think it has to do with emotional involvement. I wouldn't like to see an enraged pilot getting into an airplane, or a drunk behind the wheel of a car, certainly not a provoked one.
    If a mod, or whoever, is in the middle of a ****storm, they should go and cool off. You can't self-moderate if your blood is boiling.
    I'm sure it happens quite often, especially with things your passionate about, and with so many people's ideas in the mix.

Like I said before, 99% do a bang up job and everyone on boards appreciates what they do, even though people don't say it very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

If the thread shows he's been provoked, invite the troller and provoker and moderator (and their correspondence) to a hearing (of sorts) with more than one admin, preferably not known to any party, maybe leading to a ban..
    If it gets as far as the helpdesk, and 2 admins have looked into it, he ban will stand depending on their decision.
    The reason I say 2 admins (or 3) is to try to prevent corruption or bullying in the workplace.
    These are fair ideas, however, it becomes a time sink to have to set up a hearing for every one who feels hard done by (and most who've been banned, irrespective of reason, feel they've been hard done by) and it'll probably still end up here on Feedback or Helpdesk. Also, we don't like to think of this place as a "work place" for our mods. It's not a job, it's an additional contribution to the site if you take my meaning. Mind you, it feels like a job sometimes when you mod one of the busier forums!
    If a mod, or whoever, is in the middle of a ****storm, they should go and cool off. You can't self-moderate if your blood is boiling.
    I'm sure it happens quite often, especially with things your passionate about, and with so many people's ideas in the mix.
    This has always been our recommendation though, we tell mods to pass it over to their co-mod if they're not in the right frame of mind for dealing with things or if it's become personal.
    Like I said before, 99% do a bang up job and everyone on boards appreciates what they do, even though people don't say it very often.
    We always appreciate hearing this :)

I'm glad you're making suggestions and trying to help us out. It's just sometimes, experience has taught us better.

Advertisement