Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do i insure high performance car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SpinIt wrote: »
    Skylines originally are Awd, most people pull the awd fuse which makes them rwd

pretty sure only the GTR came as AWD, there may have been other variants but I'm pretty sure the majority of Skylines from non-turbos to GTS are RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

draffodx wrote: »
    pretty sure only the GTR came as AWD, there may have been other variants but I'm pretty sure the majority of Skylines from non-turbos to GTS are RWD

I'm 90% sure that its only the GTR thats 4wd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure that its only the GTR thats 4wd
    I'm 100% sure that GTR's are AWD...and the others are RWD...Draffodx is right, stop bein so modest man...you know your right!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I'm 100% sure that GTR's are AWD...and the others are RWD...Draffodx is right, stop bein so modest man...you know your right!!!

Ah I wasn't 100% sure like ;);)

Thought there could have been a dirty diesel 4wd version of a skyline ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I think you do alright. If you didn't sure then everyone would be getting garage insurance for their performance cars.

The idea sounds interesting. What's involved to register as a trader ?

I drive quite a few different cars and recently tried to obtain a quote from quinn for a new car that I bought. Guess what they said ?: We do not insure cars over 300 bhp !!

Anyhow. 123 ie. travellers would insure me, but other options might be nice, too.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

xsdirect.ie, got insured on a 325ci m sport at 25. Reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lol lads, bringing mine old thread :D

I actually ended up buying a mx5 " 10th anniversery". paying 1.3k eu for it. 23 with 2ncb.

When i first time called, they said i need to be 30 years old for it :eek:. when i bought it and called them again with number plates, i got it insured for 7eu extra per month :p

Torsen LSD - cheked
    6 speed short shift box - cheked
    gas suspention - cheked

And all from factory :D

I only need to buy a turbo bolt on kit, should cost me about 2k eu to bring it to 180hp by the wheels.

thought mine everyday banger clk200 got written off 2 weaks ago. Mine misses got into car accsident, head on crash. Ths got she is okay, only few bruises. Medics at site said: " she got lucky, if she wouldnt be in merc, she might be dead"...

so as clk200 is gone, mazda is a main car, and its a bit hard with 2 seats and boot size of glove box :(. Still love it thought... But i need 4 seat car for now :(

6 speed short shift box - cheked

Very sorry to hear about the Girlfriend man.

But just out of curiousity, I always thought a Short Shift 'box was a majorly expensive aftermarket part only really used on race cars.

4 door car...you don't have to get rid of the Mazda do you?!

But just out of curiousity, I always thought a Short Shift 'box was a majorly expensive aftermarket part only really used on race cars.

this is all you have to change if you want a shorter shift in your car

attachment.php?attachmentid=59043&stc=1&d=1249109513

Its comman toy, not need to be some super race car m8.

cheers m8, se is fine now. Afraid to drive now, but nothing that few donuts in mazda cant sort out for her :D

Problem is, i dont whant to pay 5k for anather car, dont have much of savings, specially in suck economical climate... I even got a pay cut at work as ressetion fighting plan :(.

so best bet for me is a swap :(

Have an eye on 180sx still on jap plates but with HUGE spec and for feck all. Was thinking of buying at park it for awile, untill i sort out VRT

Why not just but her something cheap? There's a 98 Auto Micra on adverts for 800 quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i am insured with quinn-direct and got a clk200. Was thinking of changing a car in to something... more sexy i guess :D.

i am 23 male 2 ncb, with misses as named driver. Full eu license.

So i called them.. they insuring me:

200sx for 16eu/month extra
    legacy b4 for 14eu/month extra

But when i mentioned skyline, i was told: we are not doing insurance for skyline alltogether...

I tryed 123.ie they insuring me a cl500 for 1.6k eu, but not insuring any scooby or skyline :(.

So which insurance companies are dealing with high performance cars in ireland lads?

I do like 200sx, but since i was a kid, mine dream was a skyline r32. I am not hoping to have a GTR, but gtst would hit mine dream spot nicely :D.

get the leg man there awesome :)

That post ya quoted is about 4 months old! The op bought an MX 5

hehe cheers bud ;)

happy with mazda, thought i am still a nissan man in hearth, i will get that r32 gtst sooner or later.

And someone offered micra there. Sorry but i cant. One of the things that saved her life was mercs size. If she wouldnt be in it, she might be really heavy injured. And thats btw was told by medics/guards at accsident place.

i better give her drive mine mazda( hich got 4 stars in Ncap, which was a huge surprise to me!) then any kind of tin can...

alphanine wrote: »
    xsdirect.ie, got insured on a 325ci m sport at 25. Reasonable prices.

The excess is pretty high, but they certainly are cheap.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Marlow wrote: »
    they certainly are cheap.

/M

until you have a claim.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 suprasonic

well low and behold guess what happend me good old quinn ****ed me over now im in right trouble.quinn sent me a letter saying i missed a payment and cancelled my insurance on the supra and wont reeinsure me even tho i didnt get a letter saying my dd had failed and there was money there.i rang the bank and they had a mess up on there system thats why they money didnt go out so now im not insured on the car.make things work ive rang 10 insurance companies and no1 will qoute me as there all saying this car wont be qouted on anymore as its gone up to group 20 wtf like.i dunno what to do now.

Get onto the Irish Insurance Federation, they'll advise you as to what your options are.

Theres always the 3 refusals route to force quinn to re quote you

I was paying 1400 then when i rang them back they requoted me 2800 i said not a hope so left it for a week rang them twice and they wont qoute me now.

usually the mention of the IIF will help them remember there reasonable quotes.

falling that you could buy a cheap car that isn't an import, insure it with 123.ie and then transfer over to the supra

ya i have a clio 1.2 123.ie qouted me 500 on it fully comp so thinking of going that route but might be getting trade insurance through my friend.its crazy how they insurance companies do these things to people,it can cause hell for some people out there they shouldnt be allowed do it.

trade insurance can be very dodgy be sure to read through all of the terms and conditions, for example you may not be covered to drive on sundays with trade insurance

this one you can drive on a sunday my friend has it so ill see what he says it be very handy.

until you have a claim.:o

yep. excess is 4k.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

suprasonic wrote: »
    well low and behold guess what happend me good old quinn ****ed me over now im in right trouble.quinn sent me a letter saying i missed a payment and cancelled my insurance on the supra and wont reeinsure me even tho i didnt get a letter saying my dd had failed and there was money there.i rang the bank and they had a mess up on there system thats why they money didnt go out so now im not insured on the car.make things work ive rang 10 insurance companies and no1 will qoute me as there all saying this car wont be qouted on anymore as its gone up to group 20 wtf like.i dunno what to do now.

If this is the case you should appoint a solicitor and sue the bank. You would have a very strong case if it was a system error.

St Pauls are good for insurance on high performance cars BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

onemanband wrote: »
    If this is the case you should appoint a solicitor and sue the bank. You would have a very strong case if it was a system error.

St Pauls are good for insurance on high performance cars BTW.

+1, sorry for your hassles Supra , but Quinn did'nt fook you over, your dumass bank did. No insurance co will cover you if they are not getting the DD in, none of them will. Would you?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Halo

Just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread.

My car was broken into last night, and all my valuables where taken, sat nav, 2 pairs of sunglasses, cd's... and they took the set of hid's that where on the car, and also tryed to pull off the actual headlights aswell, damaging the front bumper.

I have TPFT with Quinn, and wondering do i lose my no claims bonus from theft damage if i claim?

Halo wrote: »
    Just a quick question, didn't want to start a new thread.

My car was broken into last night, and all my valuables where taken, sat nav, 2 pairs of sunglasses, cd's... and they took the set of hid's that where on the car, and also tryed to pull off the actual headlights aswell, damaging the front bumper.

I have TPFT with Quinn, and wondering do i lose my no claims bonus from theft damage if i claim?

Only Quinn will be able to answer that, it depends on what kind of protection you have in your policy, you may lose it all, you may lose only some or you may have it fully protected.

Asking Quinn is the only way to know for sure I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

anyone get any decent quotes recently, looking for insurance for gt four. thanks

Bit of a Zombie thread, feel free to make a new one.

Thread Closed