Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIP: Shopping online and can't get delivery to Ireland???

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Ok, so here's a common problem we all face every day.... you find something really nice & cheap online, but only to find that the retailer wont ship to Ireland mad.gif ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Well, I'd thought I'd share my workaround to this problem for those of you looking to avail of those fantastic January bargains..... I too was having it difficult to find someone that shipped to Ireland (sure, you'd nearly throw it across the water!!!) and when I DID find someone that shipped, the costs were WAY too expensive.

Take for example today, I ordered a Yamaha AX-863 home cinema receiver - and the cheapest I could find online was STG£499 - a complete steal of a price and £50-£100 cheaper than most, but no-one selling at this price would ship to Ireland frown.gif.

The solution?

Paid by Visa and organised my own courier to pick it up at the store and deliver it to me. The catch? A few minutes online entering some data - and believe it or not, the courier was only £19 with DHL!!!!

For the courier check out TransGlobalExpress. They act like a broker, in that you can see the different quotes from the different courier companies.

Hope this helps and serves to be useful! xyxthumbs.gif

Sudo911.

List of Companies / Online Traders that do accept this method of shipment.

DO ACCEPT:

Tottenham Court Road Direct - UK - Audio Visual Equipment / TV / DVD / Home Cinema

DO NOT ACCEPT:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Very useful post..

Much appreciated sudo911.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

post of the year.

Should really find some way of keeping this.

Dont know how many times Ive clicked off a site thinking what a bargain, if only they shipped to Ireland.

edit: Just registered and tried it for some parcels I received last week, I would have saved over £30 sterling. :0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks sudo911.

So when I buy something do I have specify that it doesn't get shipped?
    Do most websites allow collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Good stuff! Let us know how you get on with the delivery? Will you get hit with customs charging vat on the item?

Should really find some way of keeping this.
    Will sticky it.. or append it to the Charter & Resources thread if there's a bit more interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nice one OP!

And come to think of it..... it is a simple solution really....

Whenever i run into the "no delivery to ireland" i always think "ok, feck it, i ll buy somewhere else."

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Excellent idea, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

When you use these companies don't you automatically open yourself up to additional taxes & duties which would otherwise (normally) be missed if shipped through the mail ?

I always prefer US Postal Service, & avoid using UPS ever since they arrived at the door in a big brown van & asked me for extras which inflated the cost of my purchase by 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

banchang wrote: »
    When you use these companies don't you automatically open yourself up to additional taxes & duties which would otherwise (normally) be missed if shipped through the mail ?

I always prefer US Postal Service, & avoid using UPS ever since they arrived at the door in a big brown van & asked me for extras which inflated the cost of my purchase by 25%.

If you are buying from the UK as the OP appears to be doing, or indeed the wider European market you will not face any additional taxes.

Buying from the USA or anywhere else outside Europe will usually incur VAT and duty and administration fees when coming by courier.

+1 for the sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

so how does this work?

i should purchase online - pay by card - ensure it is store collection
    and then ask these guys to collect it for me from store..
    is that right?

but do all provide collection from store option if buying online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I purchased a very heavy range cooker in a similar way. It was free delivery to anywhere in the UK so I got it delivered to Hales Freight in liverpool who stuck it in their ferry and I collected in a hired van in Dublin. Saved about €1400 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

+Sticky

I could have saved loads on my recent Electronic Drumkit Purchase :O

And many times I've thought if I could get something sent to a friend in UK or USA, and give my friend money to ship to ireland....

obvious niche actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Seems like a good idea.

I got quoted £37.11 + vat to have a 37" tv delivered from England, undercutting richersounds' price for the same tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Hi Guys,

Glad it was of use.

I rang the actual store rather than booking online (to confirm in stock, and that they would accept doing it this way). They were more than happy to do it this way, and couldnt have been nicer.

Now, you may get knockback from some retailers about only having the purchaser picking it up rather than a courier for security reasons, but I'm sure you can charm the pants of them to concede!; ;)

MOD: I think sticking this would be a great idea, as it would save people a good few quid (especially giving the current economic climate).

Agree on the VAT/Customs charges as well for imports outside of the EU, but then again USPS doesnt always work out where you dont pay any customs! This was more intended for UK/European purchases. (although I know of a very very good sound store in Germany that ships drumkits for €15!)

Sudo911.

Stickied.. and fixed the thread title to read "Shopping online and can't get delivery to Ireland???"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭podge3

I have used www.interparcel.com a lot over the past few years for this, but the Transglobal crowd look to be even better value.

Thanks OP.

Did I miss the apostrophe? :rolleyes: Give me a break, it was 1am! ;)

sudo911 wrote: »
    Did I miss the apostrophe? :rolleyes: Give me a break, it was 1am! ;)
    And a 't'..

.. I know, I'm pedantic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

This'll be great for ebay purchases... Cheers

(although I know of a very very good sound store in Germany that ships drumkits for €15!)

If you are talking about Thomann, they don't have the TD-6, and the next version up is too expensive... Even the version down is way more expensive than what I found elsewhere..

Also... Their standard shipping to Ireland is €15, but any order from them over €199 is free...
    basquille wrote: »
    .. I know, I'm pedantic! :D

You should be... You're a mod. It's part of the territory :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was suggesting getting stuff delivered to the couriers in this thread
    The couier could be close to the border so cheap. Also you could ring and arrange to get stuff from lots of different shops sent to them, then one cheaper delivery to you. Also allows you get stuff from online stores, with no pickup option. It would cost more to have a courier collect from many shops.

I was wondering about loopholes in this thread

The other idea I recommended before was if you are going to the US, ring your hotel in advance and say you are expecting business deliveries, and confirm it is OK. Then shop around online to US only stores, go for out of state stores so there is no tax. The postage should be cheap within the US too, and less risk of customs trouble.

A mate of mine used to ring taxi firms, get lads to go to late night takeaways and buy him stuff, then stop in petrol stations and get smokes etc, all delivered to him, they knew his number so new he was going to pay up.

There are people in the US and UK who will forward items onto you. A woman in the US will even go out shopping for you. If you found the equivalent of a US bargain alerts site you could spot bargains in shops and pay her to get it for you. Again you can get multiple items from several shops sent to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

rubadub wrote: »
    The other idea I recommended before was if you are going to the US, ring your hotel in advance and say you are expecting business deliveries, and confirm it is OK. Then shop around online to US only stores, go for out of state stores so there is no tax. The postage should be cheap within the US too, and less risk of customs trouble.

Most of the online stores I've seen wont ship to hotels... I was gonna do this while I was there. The other option is to get items shipped to Fed Ex, UPS etc pick up points...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would this work for example, ordering an xbox from game.co.uk or hmv.co.uk etc as they dont ship something over 1kg to Ireland? and if it does how would i go about doing it? Seems like a great thread though OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

rubadub wrote: »

There are people in the US and UK who will forward items onto you. A woman in the US will even go out shopping for you. If you found the equivalent of a US bargain alerts site you could spot bargains in shops and pay her to get it for you. Again you can get multiple items from several shops sent to her.

Have you found many UK services that offer mail forwarding?
    I've only found one.www.my-uk-mail.co.uk. It works like the US service you mention.You get a mailbox for a month and can send whatever you like to it.Then they will forward all your packages to you together or individually if you prefer.They will also buy online on your behalf if the company you wish to buy from will not accept non UK registered credit cards.

There's an initial charge of £7 to set it up.Then you either pay £10 per month for the mailbox or £50 for a full years use.The posting on charges seem ok.Looks like a good option if you want to buy many small items in the UK. Would be ideal though if you could find someone to share the mailbox over a year and split the cost with you.

I would love to know if people are using a cheaper or better alternative.

Corholio wrote: »
    Would this work for example, ordering an xbox from game.co.uk or hmv.co.uk etc as they dont ship something over 1kg to Ireland? and if it does how would i go about doing it? Seems like a great thread though OP

I wouldnt see why not.... the key will be to ring the local stores up North and pay for the product and then get them to put it aside and say a courier will be into the store to pick it up on your behalf.

I know richer sounds deliver south for £10 - so I'm sure you'll probably get it cheaper than coming in from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

Just wondering about ordering some electronic goods from play.com, don't know if you can collect from them but could you deliver to the courier instead maybe.

Dunno about getting it delivered to the courier - cant see that happening, unless it was a smaller courier.

Again, if it was me I'd ring to see if it could be picked up from their warehouse where everything is being dispatched from. They will have couriers coming in and out of there on a regular basis throughout a day, so cannot see an issue.

Just thinkint that this might not work for online companies such as Amazon, Play etc - but you should all report back to this thread as to who does accept this method for shipment and those that dont.

MOD: Is there someway to track this - i.e.. keep a record for people so that they can quickly see who does and does not accept this method of shipment?

MOD: Is there someway to track this - i.e.. keep a record for people so that they can quickly see who does and does not accept this method of shipment?

Couldn't you update the first post with a list every time someone posts info?

Cully wrote: »
    Couldn't you update the first post with a list every time someone posts info?

Good idea Batman! :D I'll get the ball rolling....

• Advertisement

sudo911 wrote:
    Good idea Batman! :D I'll get the ball rolling....
    Fine for now.. but after a day or two, you won't be able to edit that OP.

I'll keep it updated then though.

Advertisement