Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: Panasonic 50PZ81 working with Irish MPEG4 DTT (pics attached)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

@ ninjakettle:

The PZ81B has a UHF only tuner. No VHF. Both my analogue & DTT are transmitted on UHF.

If you have VHF in your area you can buy a band expander on flea-bay that changes the VHF frequencies to UHF, these were common about 10 yrs ago and can be got quite cheap.

@ BK

I believe only the pz81 has the mpeg4 decoder for the built in for freesat HD stations. The pz80 does not have either.

The 50pz80's can be got for around £1100-1200

For the 5 yr warranty, only some dealers offer this promotional warranty FOC from Panasonic including RS, other dealers offer their own type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mullingar wrote: »
    @ BK

I believe only the pz81 has the mpeg4 decoder for the built in for freesat HD stations. The pz80 does not have either..

Thanks Mullingar, I live in an apartment where I can't get Sat anyway, so not an issue for me, I'm wondering if there is a difference in picture quality, etc. some of the reviews around the web seem to indicate that there is, the pz81 having IFC which the pz80 doesn't.

On the other hand many people seem to say that IFC is bad and they normally turn it off, how do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

bk wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT, but actually I've seen it for €1505 delivered to Ireland from the UK. Alliance Electric have it for €2200!!

I'm trying to decide between the TH-50PZ80B and the TH-50PZ81B, any opinions?

Also does anyone know if you buy off the web, will you still get the 5 year warranty?

Personally, even if PZ81 TVs do receive DTT and Freesat, I think I'll still get a PZ80. I want PVR functionality, and as I understand it, this dictates that your PVR unit is the tuner in your set-up, so the tuner(s) in whatever TV I choose will be superfluous.

Again, and to paraphrase Watty - a TV today is nothing more than a display device: it doesn't need any tuner at all, just some HDMI inputs and/or SCARTs.

bk - where have you seen 50PZ80 for €1505? Got a link? There are plenty of great prices from UK sellers, but not all deliver to ROI - 1staudiovisual charge £130 shipping on top of their £1150 TV price.

AFAIK, the free 5-year Panasonic warranty ("pan-European", remember!) is only on TVs bought in-store. I'd like to hear what price RS will do the 50PZ80B for . . .

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Mark#1 wrote: »
    He suggested that, rather than Mullingar's PZ81B receiving MPEG4 DTT by fluke, it may be receiving MPEG2 DTT test signals - are these still happening?

That's horsesh*t on his part. All the MPEG2 transmissions have finished.

If the Panasonic TV has an MPEG2/4 capable chip for Freesat/DVB-S/S2, why would they go to the additional expense of having a second "MPEG2 only" chip for Freeview/DVB-T?

Panasonic aren't supposed to be selling the Freesat TV's in ROI officially anyway (they were withdrawn from Argos), so it's not surprising that they are trying to convince you that the TV isn't suitable for MPEG4 over DVB-T. Whether it's deliberate policy or willful ignorance is hard to tell.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mark#1 wrote: »
    bk - where have you seen 50PZ80 for €1505? Got a link? There are plenty of great prices from UK sellers, but not all deliver to ROI - 1staudiovisual charge £130 shipping on top of their £1150 TV price.

Sorry, turns out it is €1555, delivery is €70, not €20 like I first thought (from their help section), still a great deal, cheapest I can find:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/d_TH-50PZ80B/version.asp

I agree with everything you say about built in Freesat not being important, personally I have 9 different boxes sitting under my TV, so one more won't make a difference.

The only thing that is causing my indecision is that the PZ81 is all black, which might go better with my other furniture and some reviews indicate it might have better picture quality. But the PZ80 looks like a great deal and I'm very tempted by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I've asked a few shops around town about getting a TV that will receive MPEG4. The general opinion was that any set with a MPEG4 tuner may or may not work properly. It looks like there is already a few out there like the Panny with MPEG4 tuner, but right now RTE are only sending out pictures and sound - no text etc. Only when RTE have a fully-functioning test will we be able to check if a TV really works. I heard that some sets have already been recalled in France because of such problems. I'm thinking of just getting a Freesat box for the moment, and hold off a bit longer on the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Sorry Jonathon but you are being told lies. If it has an MPEG4 chip it will work. Shipping the TVs from the UK as a matter of convenience is easier for the retailers though. But of course those digital tuners WILL NEVER work for the Irish DTT because they are MPEG2 (suited to the British market).

Rubbish. The text system will be via MHEG5 middleware. Retailers know what the spec is. They have been written to by the Department of Communications. And RTE are currently sending out text. And subtitles.

http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/National+DTT/Useful+Information.htm

I suggest that if are thinking of buying a TV that you do so on the internet since the retailers would rather tell you lies than stock the proper products. I wonder what the brand name manufacturers think of it all. Not a whole lot I would imagine given that they can even update their "irish" websites with the proper product list.

Heres a list of LCDs and plasmas that have MPEG4 tuners in them all under 2 grand.

Phillips 37PFL603H - €1190
    Phillips 42PFL5603H - €1190
    Phillips 47PFL7603H - €1590
    Phillips 47PFL5603H- €1390
    Panasonic TH42P281E - €1190
    Panasonic TH46PZ81F - €1590
    Panasonic TH50OPZ81E €2090
    Samsung LE32A676 - €1249
    Samsung LE40A568 - €1190
    Samsung LE37A568 - € 990
    Samsung LE46A568 - €1480
    Sony KDL 40W4000E - €1290
    Sony KDL 46W4000E - €1690
    Sony KDL 32E4000 AEP- €1190
    Sony KDL 324020AEP - €1190
    Toshiba 37XV515DG - €899
    LG 37LG5500 - €879

Thats just those under €2k. Sharp Aquos have a range of Mpeg4s in the top end.

Here have a look yourself on this comparison price site http://www.twenga.fr/search.php?q=TNT+HD

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

STB is right most of in the shop assistants I spoke to about the Mpeg 4 system have not got a clue about the technicalities of the sets they are just sales people with little or no training in this area so we should be blaming the manufacurers for not insisting on proper training in this area.
    However one shop I visited recently a Sony shop in Manchesters Trafford centre was able to guarantee that all current Sony W series tvs Have mpeg 4 tuner decoding chips and in addition the current dvd/hdd recorders models 890 and 799 had these fitted also ,so it seems some makers DO train their staff!!:D

Zaphod wrote: »
    That's horsesh*t on his part. All the MPEG2 transmissions have finished.

If the Panasonic TV has an MPEG2/4 capable chip for Freesat/DVB-S/S2, why would they go to the additional expense of having a second "MPEG2 only" chip for Freeview/DVB-T?

Panasonic aren't supposed to be selling the Freesat TV's in ROI officially anyway (they were withdrawn from Argos), so it's not surprising that they are trying to convince you that the TV isn't suitable for MPEG4 over DVB-T. Whether it's deliberate policy or willful ignorance is hard to tell.

From what I have read and heard so far it appears the reason the Panny 81 series has been not released for sale here is because it does not have a wideband tuner suitable for cable systems with VHF and only has the std UHF tuner which I presume only does chs-21-69 so would only suit peeps with UHF aerials on their property.55% of households (maybe more now) have cable access.
    Ok you could use a televerta but they degrade signal something awful.

It seems the Sony Ws have the correct tuner but alas no HD freesat receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

according to www.hdtvtest.co.uk the PZ81 is essentially PZ85 + freesat HD receiver. It should really be called a PZ86.

The PZ85 (and, therefore, the PZ81) is supposed to be higher spec TV over the PZ80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

kuro_man wrote: »
    according to www.hdtvtest.co.uk the PZ81 is essentially PZ85 + freesat HD receiver. It should really be called a PZ86.

The PZ85 (and, therefore, the PZ81) is supposed to be higher spec TV over the PZ80.

Noticed that too. Makes it seem even better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I posted this over in the satellite forum earlier
    In today's Sunday Independent Life magazine there is a full page advert for the Panasonic Vierea freesat TV range 32"-50".
    The ad says "To find out more about the full range visit panasonic.ie"

The 5 TV's are displayed with the freesat logo, is this an error or are panasonic releasing these models on the Irish market (with or without VHF tuners?).
    The Panasonic website still displays a seperate range of palsma and LCD tvs for Ireland

If this range is now officially available in Ireland is this the end for Boxer DTT?
    Any update on contracts being signed between Boxer and the BCI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

Got one of these from Pixmania a couple of months ago and it will only receive sound and "NO Video" is displayed on the screen. I had thought that it would have an MPEG4 tuner as it received TNT but did'nt realise at the time that TNT also used MPEG2.

Following a post and a link on boards , I ordered two cams from DVBshop. They are Turbosat MPEG4 Viaccess Cam which converts the MPEG4 to MPEG2.

This does not work on the Panasonic but works perfectly on a JVC LT-19DA9BJ.

The Panasonic reports that the cam is present but it does not unscramble the MPEG4 signal.

Any thoughts

The only other Mpeg4 cam at the moment is the Conax one if you borrow one it would be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

PANASONIC TH-37PX81FV is the model you should have got. It has an Mpeg4 tuner.

Likely that panny's are not compatible. Neotions list of compatability is below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57363370&postcount=1

The cam turbosat are selling is the Neotion Cam I am presuming.

Do not buy the Conax one. It would make no difference. Conax is only the encryption bit.

Advertisement