Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmed: Panasonic 50PZ81 working with Irish MPEG4 DTT (pics attached)

Options
  • 17-10-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭

I got my panny 50pz81b today and I can now confirm that it can decode MPEG4 DTT

I am using Clermont Carn transmitter here in Mullingar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

What type of antenna are you using Mullingar? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Im using a Televes DAT45 mounted at the back of the house, about 4m off ground level, I dont have a roof ladder!

Its a perfect picture, no inteference or signal loss. The analogue from Clermont is very poor, DTT is 1000% (yes 1000%) better. Not bad for a very fringe reception area.

I do also have a Triax 100A & a tiny generic Group B aerial on my chimney, about 8m above ground level for Cairn Hill & BrougherMountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Mullingar,

Thanks for the info.

Danjo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi danjo,

Any chance you could answer a few questions?

- How much did the TV cost?
    - Where did you get it?
    - How is the SD (FTA and DVD) picture look on it?
    - Are you happy with the TV?
    - Any idea how much power it uses in normal operation?
    - Do you play games on it?

My old Sony 32" CRT is starting to die and this looks like an excellent TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Do you get a combined DTT and Freesat EPG on this TV?

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Hi danjo,

Any chance you could answer a few questions?

- How much did the TV cost?
    - Where did you get it?
    - How is the SD (FTA and DVD) picture look on it?
    - Are you happy with the TV?
    - Any idea how much power it uses in normal operation?
    - Do you play games on it?

My old Sony 32" CRT is starting to die and this looks like an excellent TV.

I paid £1450 with a 5yr warranty (panasonic) in Richer Sounds.
    SD is as good as you can expect, other than that an excellent TV

The EPG is separate, there is a quick select button to flick between DTT,Freesat & Analogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

Thanks also for the info.Looking for the mpeg4 question to be answered for ages.
    Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mullingar wrote: »
    I paid £1450 with a 5yr warranty (panasonic) in Richer Sounds.
    SD is as good as you can expect, other than that an excellent TV

Thanks for the info, it sounds great, I didn't realise RS had the PZ81, it isn't listed on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

@ Mullingar Does it have a HD sat tuner or SD ?

Yes, the sat receiver will show all FTA HD content, it should also show any DTT HD stuff if RTE starts a HD transmission

I am hopefully borrowing soon a Dragon cam to see if it will also allow C4HD on a FTV FSFS card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

I mailed Panasonic today to get a definitive answer about this question before i read this thread. Their response was
    Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

In response, I would clarify that the PZ81B range of televisions come with an analogue, DVB-T MPEG2 and freesat tuner. There is not an MPEG4 DVB-T tuner.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on xxxxxx or email us using the following email address:

<removed>

Kind regards
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Administrator
    Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
    Panasonic UK Ltd

Obviously i've asked about the PZ81"B", could you tell me what letter is at the end of yours mullingar?

Yes, to be exact its a th-50pz81b.

It does not state anywhere in the manual that the dvb-t is mpeg4 compatible, only for the sat decoder.

Maybe to cut cost, all digital signals (sat&dtt) go through its internal mpeg4 decoder, so its simply just a fluke that it can decode mpeg4 dtt.

that's very interesting, thanks very much for the info. It's annoying that panasonic would say the sets dont decode MPEG4.

I'm on the verge of buying a 42pz81B so it's a fairly important factor for me.
    It would be great if any other Pz81B owners could confirm Mullingar's findings:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

It would be great if any other Pz81B owners could confirm Mullingar's findings:D

Confirmation since August:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56819591&postcount=6

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You should reply to Panasonic, Ninjakettle and tell them of their error!

I guess it's possible that both the sat tuner and DTT tuner both use the same MPEG4 chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thats the most likely scenario byte. That is the basis the technomate works on using the same chip (and hence the reason you cant record off dtt whilst watching dvb-s).

Its a nice bit of kit alright. The reason why Panasonic have told you that it has an MPEG2 chip is because they have being branding it as "freeview" and the general assumption is.... The reality is that they havent tested it in the UK as there are no terestrial MPEG4 signals to decode.

The other strange thing is that there are claims on sales websites that it has a SD terrestrial tuner. Again untested. I couldnt see anything in the manual that jumped out at me (other than I see that it also has a specific AVC encoder/decoder in this as well that plays AVCHD files off SD).

There is a number for Panasonic Ireland on the last page of the manual. Perhaps you could let them know and get them to investigate further. I'm sure they'd be delighted to know that they have a very marketable product!
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z48fda6bdz3z26f00z656ez706466z22z52cd5610d7c01001d5081e6f5051a3612006d8a2/tsn2/data/EU/TH42PZ81B/OI/792268/TQB0678-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi Mullingar.

Great news with your 50PZ81! You must be chuffed - award-winning TV with Irish DTT and Freesat HD all in one quality unit! Watch sales of PZ81s (and other brand's inevitable equivalents) get a boost, though not necessarily from ROI, eh? ;)

Can I ask what you've been using as a tuner prior to getting this TV - Sky+/NTL, Freesat/free satellite, analog terrestrial?

If you had some sort of PVR, do you plan to have some means or recording with the PZ81? If yes, what have you in mind?

Yes, to be exact its a th-50pz81b.

It does not state anywhere in the manual that the dvb-t is mpeg4 compatible, only for the sat decoder.

Maybe to cut cost, all digital signals (sat&dtt) go through its internal mpeg4 decoder, so its simply just a fluke that it can decode mpeg4 dtt.

I wonder if it could be assumed that all the latest Panasonic TVs will be able (even if by fluke) to receive MPEG4 DTT, or will it be just the PZ81s with the Freesat tuners?

Thanks and congrats,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markthewall

Hey guys,

I am interested in getting a PZ81 set aswell, but I would be sold if it can work with the Irish MPEG4 DTT.
    It seems that it will work according to people here but I am just off the phone with panasonic and they say that from the info they have (guy was technical it seemed) that there was no MPEG4 DVB-T tuner on the set and that the set is built to MPEG2 DVB-T spec.

:confused:

I already had 2 x Dodgybox's with NI FTV cards (still use for ch 5 & its sister channels)and an old Panasonic DMR E50 recorder as a PVR (Only does DVD-R and DVD-RAM). It can time-slip and does a crude pausing of live tv!

I got RTE via Cairn Hill in Longford.

I am planning on buying a French DMR-EX78EC-K (http://translate.google.ie/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.panasonic.fr%2Fhtml%2Ffr_FR%2F1019046%2Findex.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 with a TNT Tuner & 250G HD. This is fully compatible with Panasonics Viera Link, so all controlled via TV remote

The French TNT is a MPEG4 system, but I am still doing some homework to see if its compatible for Irish DTT.

The main proble with French TV equipment is the analogue receiver. The PAL signal is B/C/G only and no Irish&UK Pal-I. i.e Picture but no sound

Hey guys,

I am interested in getting a PZ81 set aswell, but I would be sold if it can work with the Irish MPEG4 DTT.
    It seems that it will work according to people here but I am just off the phone with panasonic and they say that from the info they have (guy was technical it seemed) that there was no MPEG4 DVB-T tuner on the set and that the set is built to MPEG2 DVB-T spec.

:confused:

I will take better pics & maybe a video of it later in operation to prove it.

Is there any pics/vid you prefer to see?

And @ Panasonic Customer Services: If you are reading this send me a PM!!

• Advertisement

The French TNT is a MPEG4 system, but I am still doing some homework to see if its compatible for Irish DTT.

Sorry Mullingar, its not. TNT is just a name like DTT, in this case the name of the Fench DTT Service.

In France at the moment TNT is Mpeg2 and Mpeg 4. Mpeg 2 is used for the fta channels, Mpeg 4for the pay tv.

Thats why you should be very careful that when you look for receiver or Tvs on french sites that you dont use "TNT" alone. Make sure you use "HD" also. In doubct always check the spec! It wont become compulsory that all DTT receivers/TV's sold have an MPEG4 chip until December, 2008.

Mpeg 4 H.264 products sold on the french market will of course work here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markthewall

I totally believe that you are receiving\decoding MPEG4 Mullingar, as is Renshai it seems and STB's post seems to explain why this is possible.
    I just find Panasonic's answers troubling and i worry that a future firmware upgrade or even the firmware on the set i buy would not have the same success you guys have.

A more complete answer from panasonic would be great, but i've tried mailing and ringing but got the same answers as ninjakettle.

Hmmm...

Just spoke with Panasonic UK (again . . .).

The guy I spoke with suggested that in Ireland, the PZ81B range shouldn't be able to receive MPEG4 DTT, but that model numbers "PY81P" or "PZ81L" (its equivalent for the Irish market) will be able to receive MPEG4 DTT, and that it's likely that any "xx81x" TV that is receiving MPEG4 DTT is actually either one of the above, and not a PZ81B.

Curious, eh?

He first suggested that the TV that is receiving digital TV may be close enough to the border to be receivig UK Freeview, till I clarified that it was Irish DTT that was being received, and not UK Freeview.

He also gave me some numbers for companies to contact in Ireland who would be able to shed some light on this.

They appear to be distributors, rather than retailers. I called one and was told that he shouldn't really even be talking to me as a consumer ;), but he was actually pretty helpful, first suggesting that I enquire with the likes of DID for example, but then conceding that those guys probably wouldn't be able to help. :rolleyes:

He's given me an email address which he says will be able to provide good info.

I'll post when I hear something back.

Mullingar, do you think any of the Panasonic DVD recorders on sale in France could work as an MPEG4 DTT tuner / PVR in Ireland, or just the DMR-EX87 you mention? EDIT - posted before I saw STB's response - sorry.

Mark

STB wrote: »
    Sorry Mullingar, its not. TNT is just a name like DTT, in this case the name of the Fench DTT Service.

In France at the moment TNT is Mpeg2 and Mpeg 4. Mpeg 2 is used for the fta channels, Mpeg 4for the pay tv.

Thats why you should be very careful that when you look for receiver or Tvs on french sites that you dont use "TNT" alone. Make sure you use "HD" also. In doubct always check the spec! It wont become compulsory that all DTT receivers/TV's sold have an MPEG4 chip until December, 2008.

Mpeg 4 H.264 products sold on the french market will of course work here......

Yes you seem to be correct, after a quick google search TNT-HD is the MPEG4 part and is mostly for Pay-TV and THT-SD is MPEG2.

So it 'seems' that any panasonic machine that can decode a HD signal is suitable for our MPEG4 DTT.

I guess I will have to wait 2 more months!

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Just spoke with Panasonic UK (again . . .).

The guy I spoke with suggested that in Ireland, the PZ81B range shouldn't be able to receive MPEG4 DTT, but that model numbers "PY81P" or "PZ81L" (its equivalent for the Irish market) will be able to receive MPEG4 DTT, and that it's likely that any "xx81x" TV that is receiving MPEG4 DTT is actually either one of the above, and not a PZ81B.

I just looked a expansys.fr for any TNT-HD TV's and loads of Panasonic screens (including PZ81's are spec'd for TNT-HD or MPEG4!

http://www.expansys.fr/c.aspx?t=cat&f=831

Sorry Mullingar you may have picked me up wrong, you dont neccesarily have to wait 2 months. The point I was trying to make was that the French government made it compulsory for retailers that all TVs (over a certain no of inches afaik) will have to have an MPEG4 tuner from December, 2008. This was to stop unsuitable products being sold on the market (a bit like here, yet not enforced to that degree here, yet).

You can of course buy the technology in France at the moment but its not ALL Mpeg4 now. Either way be careful what you buy on the internet!!!!

Anyhow to answer the question a simple phrase should help ""TNT HD MPEG4 intégrée"

example......for TV's

http://www.nextag.fr/TNT-HD-MPEG4-integre/zzfrzB1z0--search-html

for STB's

http://www.cdiscount.com/high-tech/lecteurs/enregistreurs-dvd-et-tnt/reception-tv-tnt-satellite/recepteur-tnt-hd-mpeg4/l-106270707.html

The Netbox one for example has a 30gig hard drive for recording and acts as a media centre (plays divx etc). But you must remember there are only 4 channels on at present. So whether its worth it when you can buy a technomate or a Mvision or clarketech box that has a PVR and sat tuner as well for an extra 100 is probably debatable.

Just spoke with another of the distributors that Panasonic UK gave me details for.

He told me that MPEG4 DTT is being launched in the Guinness Storehouse today, so I just rang them too - it is. It's in flight as we speak and will be wrapping up about 3pm today.

He suggested that, rather than Mullingar's PZ81B receiving MPEG4 DTT by fluke, it may be receiving MPEG2 DTT test signals - are these still happening?

He says Irish consumers should be wary of assuming that UK TVs will work with MPEG4 DTT into the future.

He said he's not aware of any MPEG4-capable Panasonic TV, and reckons the PY81P and PZ81L are MPEG2.

He's more or less of the opinion (shared by Watty (IIUC) and others, including me, though Mullingar's and Renshai's experiences are of interest) that a TV is just the display device and that separate receivers is what pretty much every house in Ireland will eventually have.

Here's the biggie: He also conceded that Panasonic TVs bought from the UK represent far better value than the same TV bought in Ireland. For those that aren't bored of my whining yet, a TH-50PZ80B can be shipped from the UK for €1600, while one will cost you €2500 in ROI.

Mark

Mark#1 wrote: »
    For those that aren't bored of my whining yet, a TH-50PZ80B can be shipped from the UK for €1600, while one will cost you €2500 in ROI.

Sorry to go OT, but actually I've seen it for €1505 delivered to Ireland from the UK. Alliance Electric have it for €2200!!

I'm trying to decide between the TH-50PZ80B and the TH-50PZ81B, any opinions?

Also does anyone know if you buy off the web, will you still get the 5 year warranty?

Some good info here, thanks guys.

I rang Panasonic today and got pretty much the same answer as you Mark#1
    I suppose there is a slim chance there's still some test mpeg2 test broadcasts, but everything i've read says that the MPEG2 broadcast trials had ended. Is there a way you could check that on your set Mullingar?

I suppose it's not a deal breaker for me and i'll probably still pull the trigger on this tv tomorrow, but it would be a bonus to know it did Mpeg4 DVB-T.

• Advertisement

Mullingar, does the PZ81B have an analogue UHF tuner? Also, (might be a dumb question) will DTT be broadcast over UHF only throughout Ireland or is VHF involved? - just wondering as i'm in galway and it's mixed there at the moment i think.

<
    off topic>
    BK
    , try ringing Richersounds. Even though it's not on the website, they can probably order it in. Also, yes, they do the 5yr warranty, but you pay 10% extra for it - you can always have a haggle to ;)

As for the type of TV, i had the same dilema though in the 42 inch range, and i went for pz81 after reading many reviews and the desire to have integrated freesat
    <\off topic>

Advertisement