Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Road Signage Pictures

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My god, some of those gantry signs on the M50 are massively huge (is there an oversupply of steel in Ireland or something?), ugly, and generally unclear. How difficult is it to do this:

Verkeersbord_Almere.jpg

I ask you...

Yeah but what if you're an immigrant and all you know is that you have to go to Hilversum and don't know if it's Nord or Dud or Ost or West....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

parsi wrote:
    Yeah but what if you're an immigrant and all you know is that you have to go to Hilversum and don't know if it's Nord or Dud or Ost or West....
    Then you get a map. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

parsi wrote:
    That's Zuid, not "Dud" :) Anyway, you will have done your homework first and know that you need afrit (exit) 33 or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Busy at the mo so can’t post much.

However, I was recently driving in Donegal and witnessed some of the most thoughtless junction marking you could imagine.

A number of new yield signs were erected a few years back at junctions on minor roads near the village of Mullaghmore (most were mounted crookedly or not at the top of their posts). For some reason the council weren’t bothered in putting down any road markings - this contrasts with the approach in NI of treating road markings and signage with equal importance and not discarding one or the other.

At long last DCC have finally got round to marking these junctions but have gone and made an utter balls of it. All the yield signs have had stop lines painted next to them and two have even had STOP stencilled on the road. For the third they either ran out of paint or realised their mistake – or possibly still didn’t know any better but just weren’t arsed with any more work that day. This seems to have been borne out by the fact that a load of other junctions in the immediate vicinity were yet again left unmarked. All in all, the entire work couldn't have been more amateurish if they'd tried. And these people are actually paid!!!

Then there’s a junction near Ballyshannon that has been changed from a yield to a stop yet they’ve erected a new STOP sign without removing the old YIELD right in front of it – so you get a choice of instructions! Although I think I’ve mentioned this previously it’s worth repeating in this context.

Then there’s a junction on the N15 which has been missing advance signage in both directions for more than five years after collisions. Well, the council has finally got around to replacing the signage – but only in one direction!

Throw in a whole load of listing signs, damaged signs, road markings long worn off and you have to wonder if maintenance is a concept anyone there has actually grasped. This compares to Fermanagh where there is usually a frenzy of activity every year to repaint junction markings, straighten and replace damaged signs, etc. They were even out cleaning signs about a month back – another thing that never happens in Donegal.

What exactly is going on? The sloppiness in installing and maintaining road signs and markings in Donegal just wouldn’t be tolerated in NI. Why don’t the authorities in the Republic do something and take this issue seriously? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MT wrote:
    What exactly is going on? The sloppiness in installing and maintaining road signs and markings in Donegal just wouldn’t be tolerated in NI.
    IIRC Donegal is one of the counties given extra money to fix their signage!

• Advertisement

IIRC Donegal is one of the counties given extra money to fix their signage!
    That’s right they were – I think there were five counties in total that the scheme applied to. Not sure when it will be extended to the others.

However, this only seemed to cover directional signage as there’s still so much dilapidated warning and regulatory signage. I feel it would have been much better had a comprehensive approach been taken covering all types of road signs and markings. The result is that there are lots of junctions where brand new direction signs were installed but damaged or twisted yield signs and a lack of markings weren’t rectified. I can’t see that it’s beyond the scope of the authority to realise that junctions need proper markings/yields/stops etc. as well as the directional stuff. The examples in my post above are a case in point – despite new signs, road markings were completely forgotten about for several years.

Even the directional signage project didn’t cover everything as there are still plenty of junctions with twisted or poorly placed finger posts. The type that requires you to virtually slow to a halt to read the destinations. The durability of the signage is also playing up a bit as well – the Republic seems to use a thinner/less robust aluminium sheet for the sign plates. This has resulted in the sort of dents, crumpling and ‘tears’ from collisions and flying debris that you don’t see on this side of the border where the sheeting is more durable. Indeed, one of the new signs on the N15 bypass has already been crumpled up by what can only have been a high-sided vehicle driving into it.

But what I think really needs to be addressed in Donegal and many other counties is the lack of regular maintenance. The current outlook seems to be too focused on lobbying Dublin for a big splash of cash for a major scheme every few years and then doing nothing in between. If the state of all the remaining dilapidated signage around the county is anything to go by no doubt these new directional signs will be left to disintegrate requiring another major makeover a decade from now. A good regime of checks and maintenance would go a long way towards avoiding the need for such expensive intervention in years to come.

What do other countries do for finger posts to local features?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

murphaph wrote:
    Fair play to you Damien but I'm not gonna go down that route personally. As you say, the root cause needs to be addressed. I see the contractors digging up the roundabout traffic islands at the Ongar end of the new distributor road. I assume they are installing the poles for directional signage-I mean, could they not anticipate the need for these poles when they intitially poured the damn concrete to form the island.

The twisted signage is only symptomatic of the real problem-a complete lack of interest by our local authorities in doing anything properly. The idiots have to start by adding a screw through the bracket and into the pole to stop wind/kids from mollesting signage. The standard bracket can be seen in the attached images. Clearly a ridiculous design for a street sign.

Brackets ? Jesus....What can I say,,,G A L !!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Jeasus H christ :eek: This has to be the best example.
    gorey.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a fake! Please...:(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Please what? :mad:
    I just saw it on the RTE website. I havent been in Gorey in a while so can some please confirm its a fake, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's not fake. The signs are on single poles with (no?) poor anti-rotation brackets so the locals have just twisted them around. The nearest 'no left turn' should face traffic heading left-right, the nearest 'no right turn' should face traffic heading right-left. the nearest 'no entry' signs should both face 180 degrees from there current position to stop traffic coming towards the camera. Shambolic installation and I wonder how long it's been like that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah I see! Kids eh?

Mike.

ps weehamster, I meant please let it be a fake :)

I presume some of them are twisted around. :D

Murphaph wrote:
    Shambolic installation and I wonder how long it's been like that??
    Hmm, I wonder? No doubt Wexford’s one of the councils that favours painting black and white stripes on sign posts – if so, they’ll probably get around to doing that before these are straightened. :rolleyes:

The No Entry markings could also do with a drop of paint.

The other thing with the use of anti-rotation brackets is that they actually have to be screwed tight to function. A lot of signs in Donegal seem to have been mounted with the correct brackets only for the workmen not to have bothered tightening them. Result – an easily twisted sign. Could this be the case here?

Victor wrote:
    What do other countries do for finger posts to local features?
    Well, your nearest neighbour – the North – doesn’t use finger posts to sign tourist attractions. All at-the-junction tourist signs are plate flags on two posts. This is the recommended practice right across the UK, although it isn’t always complied with.

Here’s an example off the web from Enniskillen in Fermanagh. If you can make it out there’s a brown tourist flag mounted on both posts beneath the white B80 flag. Unfortunately, LAs on the other side of the border can’t be relied upon to manage this simple and robust form of assembly. Strangely they seem stuck on the notion of tacking on an easily twisted finger even if two posts are available and a proper plate sign has already been used – example.

Pic: This sort of arrangement is very common down there for both tourist and route signage. Councils seem to get the idea of proper plates for the priority road but haven’t figured out how to combine this with a plate flag(s) on two posts for the minor road – so they opt for unreliable finger posts instead. By contrast an all plate assembly is used for T junctions throughout the UK and Australia. An example from New South Wales.

The Australian assembly above - with the minor road plate flags mounted on top of those for the priority road – is very common up here for both tourist and route junction signage. Interestingly, just over the border on the newly opened stretch of N15 a guesthouse managed to get this sort of T junction signage erected for it at the N15/R280 GSJ. Typically, nearby council tourist signs on the R280 are of the finger post variety. :rolleyes: There’s even one for a historic fort on another local road that has long since been twisted and fallen over – problems easily averted when using two posts and a plate flag.

Gotta love this adhoc use of a cantilevered post for a variety of fingers – including the inevitable advertising one. It looks amateurish in the extreme!

Typical NI method: typical RoI method.

The other annoying problem with finger posts down south is their often poor placement. As they need just one hole in the ground workmen can get away with plonking them in anywhere (invariably a corner close to the traffic). On the other hand, some thought has to go into siting an assembly with numerous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lads,
    Is it really asking a lot of local authorities to put some thought into road signs paid for, out of our taxes.You can be damn sure if the civil/public service were paying for these signs themselves out of their (after-tax) wages, they would be correct.

Take for example the stretch of the Kylemore road between Mc Donalds on the Kylemore Junction and EP Moooney's Nissan garage on the junction of Kylemore road/Long mile road.

There is a sign on the left hand side before the junction of Kylemore road/Long mile road saying "Cork N7" .
    Can you imagine what tourists would think of this sign erected by Dublin City Council(I don't think south dublin county council are repsonsible for kylemore road). they would be wondering just how difficult it is for someone from Dublin city Counil to pick up a map and get this right. Worse still, after you take the right turn onto Long Mile road, you immediately enter the administrive area of South Dublin council counil, who like every other local authority in the country say Limerick N7 on every sign, might be something to do with that BEING THE LIMERICK ROAD.

It's bad enough Fingal County council on the N3 at Blanchardstown saying "Cavan N3" while in Virginia, Cavan, Cavan county council say "Ballyshannon N3" to be consistent with all maps published since 1994 & indeed the AA and indeed any map shown by the NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

weehamster wrote:
    Jeasus H christ :eek: This has to be the best example.
    gorey.jpg
    lol what do you have to do....reverse back down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

surely instead of a no straight on and a no right turn sign there should be one "left turn only" sign. (do these exist in ireland?)

The new rules of the road plan to incorporate the "new" blue signs.

Thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054940609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

My god, some of those gantry signs on the M50 are massively huge (is there an oversupply of steel in Ireland or something?), ugly, and generally unclear. How difficult is it to do this:

Verkeersbord_Almere.jpg

I ask you...

This one is stange:

normal_gantry2.JPG

Now, following the logic of all other signs in Europe you'd think, looking at this sign, that if you want to carry on in the direction of Wexford that you'd have to move over to the right lane. I would anyway, if I saw this sign. Yet the Sandyford thing is supposed to be indicating an exit ahead, but you'd think that the entire left lane is heading to Sandyford.

Every time I go back down to Wexford, those gantries annoy me. I sent off a query to the NRA regarding this (ie directing motorists into the overtaking lane unnecessarily), but have not received a reply. Are these gantries the responsibility of the NRA or SDCC? I'm seriously considering a FOI request seeking access to the documents regarding the decision on the gantry design !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote:
    Every time I go back down to Wexford, those gantries annoy me. I sent off a query to the NRA regarding this (ie directing motorists into the overtaking lane unnecessarily), but have not received a reply. Are these gantries the responsibility of the NRA or SDCC? I'm seriously considering a FOI request seeking access to the documents regarding the decision on the gantry design !!

I got a reply-looks like those misleading signs will be history :D

To date there have not been very many overhead gantry or cantilever signs used in this country. The new overhead cantilever type signs were piloted on the M50 South Eastern Motorway along with the newer sign face layout with the separate panel for each lane. Following the installation of these signs a study was carried out on behalf of the Authority by the UCD Marketing Development Programme to determine the attitudes of motorists to the new signage with a view to determining its effectiveness. The study found that motorists “considered the signage beneficial” and “found the sequence of the signage excellent”. The new signage namely Cantilever, Gantry and Next Exit signs were well received by all motorists and considered a great improvement over the more traditional motorway signs bringing much greater clarity than before. In relation to the gantry signs in particular, motorists responded very positively stating that they were “very comprehensive, informative and helpful”. There was however, some confusion over lane destination and a certain “ambiguity regarding the eventual destination displayed on the left lane as this indicated that continuing along the M50 in this lane would reach that destination only”. On foot of these findings the Authority has recently made alterations to the sign face layout on overhead gantry signs – the revised layout will be used on future overhead gantry signs on motorways and dual carriageways including those on the upgrade works elsewhere on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good god people liked those things?

Just goes to show that average Joe Public should not be asked an opinion on anything.

FFS NRA come to these boards and listen to people WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT pacman.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Good god people liked those things?

Just goes to show that average Joe Public should not be asked an opinion on anything.

FFS NRA come to these boards and listen to people WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT pacman.gif
    lol!

Seriously though it's not enough to just use a better layout on new gantries - the existing ones need to be fixed too. They're an affront!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

can't believe that the NRA had to conduct a survey to realise that signing a lane as an exit lane when it's not an exit lane is not a good idea

they should have studied the autobahn and autoroute first

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

can't believe that the NRA had to conduct a survey to realise that signing a lane as an exit lane when it's not an exit lane is not a good idea

they should have studied the autobahn and autoroute first
    I was driving in Germany recently, Munchen to Berlin. Here's how it's done.

One part sign, not in 3 pieces; no repeated information; turn off lane signed as "straight ahead/turn" and not just straight ahead. Thereby indicating that you could stay in that lane to go straight on if you wanted - you don't need to change lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Please dont get me started on Autobahn vs. Irish signage, I'd never stop ranting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't even need to travel more than 100 miles to find proper motorway signage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Lads,
    Is it really asking a lot of local authorities to put some thought into road signs paid for, out of our taxes.You can be damn sure if the civil/public service were paying for these signs themselves out of their (after-tax) wages, they would be correct.

Take for example the stretch of the Kylemore road between Mc Donalds on the Kylemore Junction and EP Moooney's Nissan garage on the junction of Kylemore road/Long mile road.

There is a sign on the left hand side before the junction of Kylemore road/Long mile road saying "Cork N7" .
    Can you imagine what tourists would think of this sign erected by Dublin City Council(I don't think south dublin county council are repsonsible for kylemore road). they would be wondering just how difficult it is for someone from Dublin city Counil to pick up a map and get this right. Worse still, after you take the right turn onto Long Mile road, you immediately enter the administrive area of South Dublin council counil, who like every other local authority in the country say Limerick N7 on every sign, might be something to do with that BEING THE LIMERICK ROAD.

This is the problem with the NRA's Ongoing Mission To Rid Ireland of Superdestinations. Before, those signs would have all said "The South N7". Now superdestinations are no longer allowed, they are supposed to say "Limerick N7" - but lets face it, Cork is bigger. The same farce on the N4 where now the signs once reading "The West N4" have now been "corrected" to read "Sligo N4" - even though Galway is bigger!

To be fair, still plenty of signs with superdestinations in the city centre...
    It's bad enough Fingal County council on the N3 at Blanchardstown saying "Cavan N3" while in Virginia, Cavan, Cavan county council say "Ballyshannon N3" to be consistent with all maps published since 1994 & indeed the AA and indeed any map shown by the NRA.

Ballyshannon, and no offence to anyone living there, isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis, even if it is the official end point of the N3, and why its deemed worthy of being a primary destination I don't know. I'd sign Cavan (or The Northwest) if I was making the decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement