Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcode

Options
  • 10-08-2006 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Any regulars at Barcode think its gone t hell recently?

I was a regular there, and they all knew us, so never asked for ID, but then a few weeks ago [think it was the Gay weekend] They said Regulars only and refused us! cheek o dat!

Anyways, went back on Saturday for the first time in like 2 months and it was fvckin shlt!

Don't recognise ANY of the staff, and the place was EMPTY

Also, the DJ was shlt, and played crap music all night

Then the barman was a prick t me mates

And I spent like 7 whole minutes in the jax cos I had a bad stomach and the security guy opened the locked door with a special key n looked around the cubicle

What the hell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Always amazes me the ammount of threads this place gets.

Is the Dracula Museum still running? I want to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I was there last saturday too, it was empty all night!

I don't go very often at all, because, well, I hate the 'code and all who dwell within the 'code!

The DJ was yer man Ray Shah I think.

Ah well, this only confirms/justifies the hatred for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

sunnyjim wrote:
    I was there last saturday too, it was empty all night!

I don't go very often at all, because, well, I hate the 'code and all who dwell within the 'code!

The DJ was yer man Ray Shah I think.

Ah well, this only confirms/justifies the hatred for me.
    wha were ye wearing? I'd actually probably remember ye it was so empty

haha

And whats with everyone wearing tucked in shirts? Random

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jesus I could've sworn one of my mates wrote that, went though the exact same thing on Sunday night. It's really gone to ****e lately though, and it's not even cheap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bouncers there just turn away who they want with that regulars only line, OP. Place is crap, you won't miss much if you don't go again, worst pint in Dublin, only bother going on a Sunday after a Dubs game for the cheap (warm) gargle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have not been to barcode yet but recently started working nearby so will probably drop by. I've heard its a very young crowd recently, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zascar wrote:
    I have not been to barcode yet but recently started working nearby so will probably drop by. I've heard its a very young crowd recently, is that correct?

Well if you're over 21 you'll feel a bit out of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

abetarrush wrote:
    Also, the DJ was shlt, and played crap music all night

Anytime I was forced into visiting Barcode it was cheesy music, sure ffs the place looks more like where yid hold a wedding reception than a nightclub. And the music policy is pretty much the same

*bets 50 euro I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker was played.*

Lord what cheese the students and country folk can get their groove on to.....

Sad thing is, people aged 18-20 dont have alo of other options on a Saturday. Spirit, Redz, 21s and a few of the suburban clubs are the only place that will let under 21 males in usually. Nowhere in Temple Bar is under 21 anymore afaik.

exactly

but 21 and Spirit are mad hard t get into

RedZ is ****

and yup, Temple Bar is all 21+

One of them is 23+, like what the hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Those bouncers are terrible allright.

One Saturday last January around 7pm I walked through the main gate on the way to the gym. I don't tend to head out on Saturday nights so I decided to use the gym-I pay enough for it so may as well use it.

Got stopped in the car park and asked for ID. Was also told smartly I wouldn't be allowed in as I was wearing runners.

I replied I was only using the gym and showed him my swipe card which clearly has Westwood Clontarf on it. Also showed the sports bag I was carrying-it should have been obvious I was going to the gym.

They didn't believe me and told me to leave the grounds sharpish. Felt hard done by and probably should have complained to management as I pay €70 to use the facilites.

Been a member of Westwood for over a year now and like the place. I'm there 4-5 days a week. But I swore that night I'd never go into in Barcode and still haven't despite the fact my membership fees are going towards running it so I've more right than most to be there.

Judging by the comments in this thread, I'm not missing much.

• Advertisement

A few months back ye might have missed somethin on a Thurs or Fri

but now....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

always been ****, apart from when i was 17 and snuck in through the gym.....sorry dude my fault!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Woohoo yet another opportunity to bash Barcode! :D

TBH the place has been going downhill since the moment it opened. I like the lay out of the club, it would be the type of club I would enjoy going to but sadly everything about the club is operated poorly.

- The bouncers there are ****ing dickheads of the highest order (not unusal for Dublin but IMO worse than most places)
    - Clientel, the place has been filled with Ben Sherman skangers and I know of 16/17 year old girls regularly getting in no bother
    - Overcrowded beyond belief

Until a month ago I had not being in Barcode for a year but I gave it another chance a few weeks ago but it was still the same, ****. In the past 2 out of 3 times I'd get refused (for no reason obviously) but this time I had no bother getting in mainly due to being with a group of mates aged 21/22 but after an hour we were all bored, music was worse than it had ever being, still full of skangers/sluts/general twats and the atmosphere of the place was even worse. Someone needs to bomb that place, get new owners, rebuild it and give North Dublin a proper club once and for all.

Sadly there's little alternative in Dublin clubwise esp if you're under 21.... Redz, 21 etc are equally as ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

So wait.....its full of scumbags, yet its got a tight door policy? :confused:

Mind you, I remember one Thursday at Spirit the bouncer held me for like a minute asking when id last been in and giving the do i know you from before somehow type questions, like airport security or something. Inside about 20 minutes later, there were 3 guys wearing tracksuits, runners and chains and one in a Celtic jersey completely pilled off their faces. And, I sh1t you not, one of them was drinking a can of Dutch on the floor.

And I was the one who incurred bouncer hassle?

Wonder what the age on the new Red Box will be. It is just me or has town tightened its age policies lately? Im 20 soon, but I recall way back in 2004 id often show up in town fairly drunk and walk into places without a bother. And were Bad Bobs and Buskers always 21 plus clubs? Id been in them before no probs but I havent been to them in over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Tha Gopher wrote:
    So wait.....its full of scumbags, yet its got a tight door policy? :confused:

I don't think that's what people are saying, it's that people are arbitrarily turned away one night and then get in without any fuss or hassle the next time they go up. I've never darkened its doorstep but I've heard that they have the most inconsistant door policy in the history of creation. One perfectly sober young man who is smartly dressed would be turned away and a Ben Sherman clad lad with X amount of cans in him would then be allowed in.

If anybody mentioned that the clientele has gotten awfully young as of late, quite a few of my friends who would be 18 are going on a weekly basis so that comment probably wasn't too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Tha Gopher wrote:

Lord what cheese the students and country folk can get their groove on to.....

Well, for your own sake, stay away from Quinns on a week night :eek:

I seriously hope they bring in them bouncer licenses they're always on about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

abetarrush wrote:
    I seriously hope they bring in them bouncer licenses they're always on about

Coming in next summer at some stage I heard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Collie D wrote:
    Well if you're over 21 you'll feel a bit out of place
    Used to go there frequently enough because it's fairly much exactly half way between where I live and where my mates live but barely any anymore...

I was dragged there for a 21st about 3 weeks ago and got very depressed that we were probably the only people in there that remembered when Rythm is a Dancer came out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

me and the missus had the worst lunch ever there on sunday, her pasta was freezing and like leather, my chips were lumps of black grease and the chocolate fudge cake was burnt to a crisp, its nowhere near as good as it was. im now an ex regular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can't say I know where Barcode is.

Can't say I care. The place sounds like an unappealing kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm just gone 20 and i even felt old in there when i was 18.
    I'm sick of this 21/23+ nonsense, i'm nice! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OneStepMore

ah a barcode thread, i think I'll drop and and bond with my new boardmates by enthusing about this great establishment.
    Ah right then...
    At this rate me and my mates are going to have the place to ourselves in a few weeks. My mates aren't hot enough for that to be an acceptable friday night. hmmm...

ah a barcode thread, i think I'll drop and and bond with my new boardmates by enthusing about this great establishment.
    Ah right then...
    At this rate me and my mates are going to have the place to ourselves in a few weeks. My mates aren't hot enough for that to be an acceptable friday night. hmmm...
    Double-U, Tee, Eff???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kinga_2008

BARCODE, Is the best nightclub in Dublin, Yes i agree it hard to get in sometimes but in fairness if your wearing lightblue denim or shirt and slacks that is why?, Just be confident walking up bouncers see ya trembling they'll just say not tonight like?

And as for the music Friday night is brilliant, saturday isn't great cause they play all unce unce music, but last weekend 6/09/08 was brilliant, had the same DJ as friday was great.

And plus witch other nightclub to you know has pool tables, chinese restaurant, arcade, virtual bowling, waterfall, huge dancefloor, huge bar plus your never waiting on a drink for more that 2 mins, the bram stoker thing they have going and most of all the BEST WOMEN IN DUBLIN!

Plus on sunday they have a live band on sunday? brilliant!

BARCODE = BEST NIGHTCLUB EVER! ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Septico

Kinga_2008 wrote: »
    BARCODE, Is the best nightclub in Dublin, Yes i agree it hard to get in sometimes but in fairness if your wearing lightblue denim or shirt and slacks that is why?, Just be confident walking up bouncers see ya trembling they'll just say not tonight like?

And as for the music Friday night is brilliant, saturday isn't great cause they play all unce unce music, but last weekend 6/09/08 was brilliant, had the same DJ as friday was great.

And plus witch other nightclub to you know has pool tables, chinese restaurant, arcade, virtual bowling, waterfall, huge dancefloor, huge bar plus your never waiting on a drink for more that 2 mins, the bram stoker thing they have going and most of all the BEST WOMEN IN DUBLIN!

holy mother of jesus i thought i was still drunk reading that. You my friend deserve to be shot. This **** hole is the worst, most ridiculous place i've ever been to. i hate it with everything that i am.

Burn it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

is that on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

WindSock wrote: »
    is that on Sundays?

Now what makes you think that?

as for Mr KingA 2008 who's mates with Micka and Skanga, you are 20. When you get some experience of some other reputable clubs maybe you should comment then.
    If it's a fight you want, along with a load of people trying to get in over via Fairview Pk, then you're in the right place.
    Also, the unce unce you speak of would be grade A cheese synonimous with this dive, not that the chirpy pop you bob to to on a Fri is not cheese either but decent quality dance music is out there, thankfully the good nights aren't too filled with twirps and I suppose the Barcode does a good job in keeping a lot of them from even trying to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Looks like someone has no class!........or self- respect for that matter!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Sorry peeps, but I'm with him.....

I absolutely adore barcode... I'm 20 years young and all my friends head out almost every weekend... It has everything!!! As Kinga mentioned already, food, pool, games and my personal favourite after a shot or two "the dancing machine" lol... Plus you get the added benifit of a huge smoking area which almost doubles as another dance floor with no bouncer telling ya to stand behind a railing... No qeues for a taxi afterwards with hundreds passing by into town... no qeues for the Bathroom as there is about 50 cubicles... Finally there is no admission fee, so your not wasting a tenner just to get into the place like most smelly places in town charge... Yeah the doormen have issues but isnt that the same everywhere? The job just gets to their head and they think they can do whatever they like... Maybe you all just feel recentment due to the fact that you have been stopped at the door a few times.. If ya need to gve any club abuse ya wanna look at that Redz place... I used to love it, but its gone to the dogs... Now thats a crowd of 15 and 16 year olds, bouncers who are only interested in pulling the kids at the end of the night.. a half hour wait at the bar for a drink and a little sweatbox of a dancefloor..

Ok so Fair enough ya think Barcode is full of kids, then head to Barrys Hotel or something!! Maybe ya prefer being with aulones... or better yet head the local.... save us all the ear bashing...

Advertisement