Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

marno21 wrote: »
    No, it'll remain regional road for now.

Cheers

OSM updates

N17 from N83 junction to Mountpotter roundabout north of Tuam: N83
    N17 from Kilmore roundabout (M17) to Bothar na dTreabh (N6): N83
    N63 from Loughgeorge to M17 junction: R354
    N18 from Claregalway to Oranmore (R446): R381
    R446 from Oranmore to Doughiska: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort: R458
    N66 from Gort to Loughrea: R380

Only one to be sorted is

N17 from N83 junction through Tuam: tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Middle Man wrote: »
    OSM updates now coming through in anticipation of Friday's opening!
    Please remain zoomed in to see all the redesignated routes such as the N83 Galway to Tuam road -

"I wish I was on that N83, stone walls and grasses green..." :D

That's the first time I seen the new road laid out and it is far more twisty than I imaged it would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

That's the first time I seen the new road laid out and it is far more twisty than I imaged it would be.
    Yes, it is quite bendy for a major motorway, but I think the terrain was quite difficult to build through and they had to navigate around dispersed settlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The existing M18 is also quite a bendy motorway, especially between Ennis and Gort.

Delighted to see this scheme opening. A pity the M18 - M17 -M6 junction is such a monstrosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

OSM updates now coming through in anticipation of Friday's opening!

It'll be opening on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Garryowen Red

Like I'm sure is the feeling among most, if not all, of the followers of this thread I'd like to thank m17 for his Trojan efforts in documenting this new motorway. Your effort was immense and is greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes, it is quite bendy for a major motorway, but I think the terrain was quite difficult to build through and they had to navigate around dispersed settlements.

Or to put it another way, they wanted to have cheaper land to CPO by avoiding the plethora of one off houses in the area.

In reality, they should've ploughed through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

J o e wrote: »
    It'll be opening on Wednesday.

Anyone have the details of the opening ceremony? Where and what time does it take place and are the public admitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

peking97 wrote: »
    Anyone have the details of the opening ceremony? Where and what time does it take place and are the public admitted?

It's taking place at kiltiernan at 11am on Wednesday and then it will be 4pm when we are going to be on it can't wait

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

peking97 wrote: »
    I'd bloody well hope the public are admitted - they're on public property and are paid by the public!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Here's a video of my friend Kieran did last week on the new M18 motorway ;) He's made me jealous and that's hard to do :eek:

All signs are now in place on the m17 23/09/17IMAG2473_zpsgiqrxdeh.jpg

Like I'm sure is the feeling among most, if not all, of the followers of this thread I'd like to thank m17 for his Trojan efforts in documenting this new motorway. Your effort was immense and is greatly appreciated.

Cheers mate thanks for that,after cycling 8000kms,taking nearly 6000 pics over the past 32 months today was my last cycle on the motorway it time to put the bike and drone away I hope you have enjoyed the pics and updates as much as I have and a big thanks to you all yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

m17 wrote: »
    Cheers mate thanks for that,after cycling 8000kms,taking nearly 6000 pics over the past 32 months today was my last cycle on the motorway it time to put the bike and drone away I hope you have enjoyed the pics and updates as much as I have and a big thanks to you all yours m17

Were you down at the flyover for the Kinvarra to Ardrahan road today around 1.30 by any chance m17?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

I’m thinking the Tuam section of old N17 will be local road. More than one of the brand new signs pointing into town from the terminal roundabout fail to show any number. It’s not obvious that this section needs to be classified as regional.

When updating these roads on OSM I worked on that assumption, let’s see if any new information emerges.
    Cheers

OSM updates

N17 from N83 junction to Mountpotter roundabout north of Tuam: N83
    N17 from Kilmore roundabout (M17) to Bothar na dTreabh (N6): N83
    N63 from Loughgeorge to M17 junction: R354
    N18 from Claregalway to Oranmore (R446): R381
    R446 from Oranmore to Doughiska: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort: R458
    N66 from Gort to Loughrea: R380

Only one to be sorted is

N17 from N83 junction through Tuam: tbc

End of the m17 at tuam 23/09/17IMAG2469_zpsxfzsgylr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I went over the bridge on the Ballygaddy road the other day, I'd say some cyclists might consider it a challenge but many more will curse it! It seemed very steep- were they scarce of space or what?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

End of the m17 at tuam 23/09/17IMAG2469_zpsxfzsgylr.jpg

Just wondering why they didnt put a slip land in there like the did at the begining of the m6 motorway. Actually wouldnt an exit and flyover have been a better end... Why do we always end motorways on a roundabout. I know there wont be tailbacks but at peak times it'll cause a slight delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

Im a long time lurker of this thread.
    I joined Boards this evening to say a special Thank You to M17 - the amount of work and effort you have put in to this thread is incredible and I am very grateful for it.

It was amazing to watch it go from a rough cut on some fields to the smooth motorway it is.
    I took the oppurtunity of cycling it 2 weeks ago, so many places, like the house near Mahanagh or the overpasses near Corofin seemed so familiar because of your stellar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

The m18 2kms form gort heading northbound 22/09/17IMAG2410_zpsipzn78tr.jpg1kmIMAG2411_zpse1yuf9yp.jpg500 metresIMAG2412_zpsscqgnj35.jpggortIMAG2413_zpsgbkf29n1.jpggort looking towards LimerickIMAG2414_zpsft5g6vrz.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2415_zpshbetajam.jpgthe roundaboutIMAG2394_zpsuta017lz.jpg

Great pics, thanks

• Advertisement

The coolough roundabout 22/09/17IMAG2420_zpsa2dwgkse.jpg

So we are coming off the M6 westbound at the clinic and we are met with a sign for Ennistimon which is 41 miles away to the southwest. That is all sorts of so wrong. Who hired the gimp that made that decision?

Absolutely mindboggling

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So we are coming off the M6 westbound at the clinic and we are met with a sign for Ennistimon which is 41 miles away to the southwest. That is all sorts of so wrong. Who hired the gimp that made that decision?

Absolutely mindboggling
    It's not mindboggling at all as there's a reason for it which I'll explain...

What is currently the N18 from Kilcolgan to the Clinic (part R446) will become an extension of the N67, which will make it a coast road all the way from Killimer in Clare to Galway city, mainly used by tourists and is a large part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

When signposting national secondaries, either the destination, or the next intermediate destination is signed. The next intermediate destination on the N67 is Ennistimon, which is why it's signposted.

All signs are now in place on the m17 23/09/17IMAG2473_zpsgiqrxdeh.jpg

What's the phone number for? Why would people call it after getting to the end of the motorway?

What's the phone number for? Why would people call it after getting to the end of the motorway?
    In case you need to contact the PPP concessionaires about a maintenance issue or with a query etc.

Gort-Tuam will be operated and maintained by DirectRoute for a period of 25 years or so after opening, as opposed to being operated by TII operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just a correction, the N67 actually runs from Tarbert in Kerry, just across the river.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just a correction, the N67 actually runs from Tarbert in Kerry, just across the river.
    Yup, but only Galway, Kilrush, Kilkee and Ennistimon are legal destinations along the route as the ferry isn't 24 hours.7

The Ferry symbol is used from Ennistimon south to signify the continued N67 if required.

marno21 wrote: »
    It's not mindboggling at all as there's a reason for it which I'll explain...

What is currently the N18 from Kilcolgan to the Clinic (part R446) will become an extension of the N67, which will make it a coast road all the way from Killimer in Clare to Galway city, mainly used by tourists and is a large part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

When signposting national secondaries, either the destination, or the next intermediate destination is signed. The next intermediate destination on the N67 is Ennistimon, which is why it's signposted.

Why not Oranmore, Clarinbridge or Kinvara? They can add Ennistimon to the signs in Kilcolgan. It just doesn't make sence to me to see Ennistimon on a sign entering Galway City heading west.

Why not Oranmore, Clarinbridge or Kinvara? They can add Ennistimon to the signs in Kilcolgan. It just doesn't make sence to me to see Ennistimon on a sign entering Galway City heading west.
    Because they are not legal destinations on the N67.

Same way that Cork, Skibbereen and Killarney are legal terminal or intermediate destinations on the N71 in Cork. Bantry, Kenmare, Clonakilty, Rosscarbery, Leap, Bandon etc aren't mentioned. Signs usually sign the terminal destination and the next intermediate place of note along the route.

In this case, N67 intermediate destination Ennistimon and next place of note the Docks. Oranmore could be signed too although it's assumed if you are coming along the N6/M6 westbound and wanted to go to Oranmore you would use J19.

This becomes an issue with the N83 in Tuam as Claregalway is signed for the N83, yet the best way to get to Claregalway is via the M17, especially when traffic coming northbound approaching Tuam could've used J19 on the M17 to access Claregalway instead of going all the way up to Tuam to head back down the N83.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Regarding the usage on this road....I was listening to Midwest and the presenter claimed that a lot of people from Mayo would use this new route as a way to get to Dublin.  Some Mayo people were already using that route and hopping on the Motorway outside Galway. With the Tuam and Claregalway bottlenecks now gone from the equation I can see how that may be an attractive route. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Probably makes sense in the same way as Galway - Belfast is best done by going via the M50 even though the route is 50km longer, its still 30 mins faster (time dependent of course)

Advertisement