Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day- do you enjoy it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

People who take their kids with them while they get fall down drunk should be dragged out into the street and shot with balls of their own ****e. With some broken light bulbs in it. And the light bulbs should get into the ****e via the digestive tract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hate it, it's pure cringe. "Oirish" paddywhackery at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Well this will be interesting for the first time in my entire life I am going to a pub on St Patrick's day I am going because there is a seisiún.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Day of rampant surpressed alcoholism. Irish people use alcohol as a medication.
    We as a nation are abysmal with dealing with emotion so drink our selves to oblivion .
    Socially booze changes folk. Very rarely for the better, know from experience.

Anyway fights galore in towns/cities all over Ireland tonight.

Celebratory it aint!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Am a carer so was obliged to go to Mass.

Dana's dirge "Lady of Knock" was featured. "Golden Rose, Queen of Ireland" my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We have a horrible culture in this country and today is the peak of it.

Drink, gambling, drugs and violence.

No need to watch the news ever again with that synopsis.

Some people can't exist unless they bathe in misery....

Today is our national day and we make the most of it, and somehow most of the world celebrate it in some fashion as well, that's heartwarming. There are plenty of events on around the country, loads of sports , if you don't like parades then don't go near them, but don't bitch about them because there are loads of people who do like them.

Find something for yourself and enjoy it, celebrate the changing climate, the oncoming spring and summer, shake off the misery, it's good to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I happen to like snakes.

Who the f*ck does this guy think he is?

With you on the snakes. Would have preferred it if he got rid of cats instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's a great day. I opened my first can at 1.30 and nobody batted an eyelid. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Berserker wrote: »
    With you on the snakes. Would have preferred it if he got rid of cats instead.

Yeh, cats and politicians :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm a bit strange when it comes to these kind of days. I don't do anything different. The best thing is having the day off to read my books and watch my stories. Easter is the same for me. Nothing different tends to happen.

There's something nice about having a stolen moment to yourself, while the rest of the world is at a joint event sort of thing.

I love going off for a (photo) drive when important matches are on, like world cups or such. Even more so when the local town feels deserted.

About St P's day, I find that year in, year out, people give out about the pss-poor parade in town, having to stand in the miserable weather, and how boring or depraved it all is, and yet, they just keep going because.

I think I broke the poor Irish granny's heart, by declaring the kids and I weren't going to put ourselves through all the misery this year. She even rang in the morning offering to take them herself, but they refused. They have no interest !

Now if there were creative floats, like school arts projects, and surprising and inspiring displays of any sorts, that would make it worthwhile, but that has all stopped here years ago because of insurance I think ? not sure why.

Not a hope in hell I'd step in a pub on St Patrick's day anyway, even if I had someone to look after the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Dublin Public Order Unit are making teenagers pour their beer into the gutters.

It will be a rough night in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The whole world are making a joke of our culture today

Schools in Asia singing Irish tunes

Being in Ireland for St Patricks Day too some tourists is a dream come true
    Reminded me of one of those fleadh highlights programmes from years ago, and a bunch of (IIRC??) Korean (maybe) females singers throwing out a rendition of "A nation once again". Utterly bizarre viewing.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its fine, I like seeing how happy it makes a lot of people so that aspect is nice. I find town extremely claustrophobic and unpleasant on the day though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

I can't believe all the negative posts here. I have always loved St. Patricks. For us it is a family day and always has been. I have great memories as a child of been brought to the big parade in town then getting a Burger as a treat + home in the early afternoon.

The buzz was brilliant + in all the years I never once witnessed any trouble because we didn't go to the pub or stay in town late. As an adult I have always always enjoyed the day off + before we had our little boy we would spend the day going for a walk on howth head etc.

It's what you make of it + it doesn't have to involve alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

There's some awful misery on this thread. I agree that pubs late on are not a pleasant place to be, but its still a great auld day

I'm living in the States now, but used to love heading to Croker for the club finals and having a few pints early in the day. Parades all around the country which are usually fantastically cheesy. I remember as a kid seeing Mick Lally being driven down the town on the back of a tractor, probably the biggest celebrity any of us had encountered at the time.

I'm stuck in work at the moment, but cant wait to sneak out for a few in the afternoon. Doesn't bother me in the slightest when Americans claim to be Irish due to some tenuous link, only too happy that they choose to join in the celebrations. I do draw the line at anyone who uses 'Patty' though, that's unforgiveable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Having a great time today, its the first day I've had off since Christmas, and all I'm doing is having me beers and mixing me records at home. Mates of mine called in earlier after the parade in town and they'll be back out here later on for a little party once some babysitters are enlisted. Its great its fallen on a friday this year, people can have a good time tonight and have a good recuperation buffer zone for next week. Take advantage. Hope your all having a good time whatever ye may be doing!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pubs filled with people who don't usually drink during the day is my main gripe

Too fooking right...place will be rotten with lightweights who think they're going to magically up their game to pro level on the most gruelling day in the gargling calendar

It's like a bunch of seaside donkeys rocking up the start line of the grand national

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I went to see Beauty and the Beast!
    Excellent!

Now watching u22 boxing from Romania! Go Ireland 🇮🇪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's dreadful. It's always raining. The parade is rubbish, Mickey Macs concrete mixer with a green ribbon around it, Jimmy Murphy's green tractor, Brenda and her dyed green goats, Sharon on her pony wearing her green wig, the inept majorettes, the piss heads, packed pubs, projectile vomit. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I don't hate the day but I do hate the pissed up obnoxious idiots. Two teenage girls on the DART one literally being carried and the other one barely able to walk out of a group of ten or so. Yeah that's going to end well. This was at 6pm this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Ireland badly needs an independence day of its own, one divorced from the drunken carnivalesque atmosphere of what St Patrick’s Day has become, and unmoored from that holiday’s religious origins. Something like Bastille Day in France or Independence Day in the U.S. It always astonishes me that Ireland doesn’t have such a thing.

I understand that since independence was achieved incrementally there will never be agreement on any one landmark date for a holiday. I don’t care. The spring equinox as a universal symbol of new beginnings would be fine for me, but I wouldn’t care if the day was chosen randomly so long as it was chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Did saint Patrick bring Christianity to Ireland?

That worked out well didn't it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I tell ya isn't there some begrudging little ****ers on boards.ie, All they do is complain & put down everything about the country they live in, if you don't like it **** of out of it ,ya arsewholes..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Did saint Patrick bring Christianity to Ireland?

That worked out well didn't it...

He did. Sure didn't you know that hundreds of years ago, St. Patrick envisaged the Magdalene Laundries and years of child abuse by the church. That was his plan for Christianity in Ireland - he had the blueprint for the whole lot.

But, fair play to you, you've abstained from the millions of global revellers celebrating St. Patrick's master-plan. All them devout Christians out there on the lash tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

No parade where I live. Shops closed. Muted atmosphere in the town, ppl heading to pubs. Lashin rain. Groups of youths walking round the town looking for trouble. Parade on Sunday for some reason just to prolong the agony. Right now I feel like heading out and getting hammered in a pub full of heavy drinker types. Someone stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Academic wrote: »
    Ireland badly needs an independence day of its own, one divorced from the drunken carnivalesque atmosphere of what St Patrick’s Day has become, and unmoored from that holiday’s religious origins. Something like Bastille Day in France or Independence Day in the U.S. It always astonishes me that Ireland doesn’t have such a thing.

I understand that since independence was achieved incrementally there will never be agreement on any one landmark date for a holiday. I don’t care. The spring equinox as a universal symbol of new beginnings would be fine for me, but I wouldn’t care if the day was chosen randomly so long as it was chosen.

Wouldn't we just get pissed then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Omackeral wrote: »
    No buddy, 1/4 Irish 1/4 German 1/4 Filipino and 1/4 Martian. Slawnchaah!
    Well stop talking like a Yank then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

osarusan wrote: »
    Wouldn't we just get pissed then too?

People are free to get pissed every day of the year, so that's no more of an argument against an independence day than it is against Christmas or any other holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Isn't the Easter Rising at least marked every year? I though this was as close as we needed to an independence day tbh. If you look at it from the one side the job isn't complete and from the other it's maybe not great for Anglo-Irish relations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Academic wrote: »
    People are free to get pissed every day of the year, so that's no more of an argument against an independence day than it is against Christmas or any other holiday.

I wasn't an argument against such a day. My point was that even though it might ideally be a more sombre day, removed from the carnival atmosphere, people would likely just get drunk anyway.

Advertisement