Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day- do you enjoy it?

Options
  • 17-03-2017 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Find its the most annoying cliche ridden days of the year!

I'm with the snakes, lets get the fook out!

Parades in a county town are so bad! Foresters marching! Isn't that an old lads drinking club???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And a Happy St Patty's Day to you. Two Irish Car Bombs please. I'm 1/4 Irish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pubs filled with people who don't usually drink during the day is my main gripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And a Happy St Patty's Day to you. Two Irish Car Bombs please. I'm 1/4 Irish!!!

Story checks out. Irish car bomb me eye

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I like the fact that it's a public holiday. I enjoy the feeling that the seasons have changed and we've come this far in the year already. I like the general happy vibe that comes with the start of the day and seeing kids all dressed up and excited.

I don't like it post 6pm when the sh1t starts to hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No. I don't drink and I'm not social, and given the nature of town today/dublin bus running a sunday service for some reason, means I don't got much to do today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm at work and I get to cringe at people's terrible attempts at Irishness. I barely drink at all these days too.

I'm also not a fan of what the day represents - the squishing down of vibrant Celtic/pagan culture by an invading religion which has made things worse for the women of this country for the last 1,600 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

More fun when you are not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

No I'm working and working all weekend too!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how did the snakes get there in the first place ???

how do we know the whole St Patrick getting rid of the snakes is the truth or that St Patrick was real or is he rep a number of people ???

anyway i like the day but not a fan when **** hits the fan at around 6pm, Like the club finals being on and some years we get Soccer and Rugby games on too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Watching a good mass here on rte. Mass on a Friday. Fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

PTH2009 wrote: »
    how did the snakes get there in the first place ???

how do we know the whole St Patrick getting rid of the snakes is the truth or that St Patrick was real or is he rep a number of people ???

Answer 1....the snakes were never in Ireland in the first place.
    Answer 2....there was more than one converting people to Christianity and preaching around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We have a horrible culture in this country and today is the peak of it.

Drink, gambling, drugs and violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The traditional Spike Lee movie reenactment on Henry Street while a new tradition is fun to look forward to, he gonna git you sucka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

We should call it Diaspora Day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Answer 1....the snakes were never in Ireland in the first place.
    Answer 2....there was more than one converting people to Christianity and preaching around that time.

The snakes are in the Dail and the banks.

The snakes are in the Dail and the banks.

And in the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was just down town there (a country town) and it's already starting to get rowdy outside some of the pubs. Lads who look like they haven't slept, guzzling ale and shouting at passerbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm at work and I get to cringe at people's terrible attempts at Irishness. I barely drink at all these days too.

I'm also not a fan of what the day represents - the squishing down of vibrant Celtic/pagan culture by an invading religion which has made things worse for the women of this country for the last 1,600 years.

Something skewed re your history ideas there. Read the Annals recently? Online at C.E.L. T. a bloodthirsty lot they were the old celts

and the Celtic
    form of Christianity was beautiful and fair before Rome too over.

Please do not blame Christianity for those who distort and abuse it

Patrick was grand, he really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't mind it. What I hate is when yanks start saying that they're Irish when it might be their great great great great great great grandfathers dog that was an Irish wolfhound or something like that. I have no problems if your grandparents or mom and dad were Irish but what I've said above annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only difference for me is that there is no postal delivery and it is one day that i WILL NOT GO OUT.

Which applies to most days anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The whole world are making a joke of our culture today

Schools in Asia singing Irish tunes

Being in Ireland for St Patricks Day too some tourists is a dream come true

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I don't mind it. What I hate is when yanks start saying that they're Irish when it might be their great great great great great great grandfathers dog that was an Irish wolfhound or something like that. I have no problems if your grandparents or mom and dad were Irish but what I've said above annoys me.

That whole thing never really bothers me. Americans have no real culture to call their own because it's such a young country, so they cling to their ancestors culture. For some Americans that's Irish people who moved there a couple of hundred years ago. Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

I don't see it is making a joke. What's wrong with schools in Asia singing Irish tunes?

For a country as small as Ireland to make an impact worldwide, for pretty much every nation in the world to celebrate our heritage, is something to be proud of in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Django99 wrote: »
    That whole thing never really bothers me. Americans have no real culture to call their own because it's such a young country, so they cling to their ancestors culture. For some Americans that's Irish people who moved there a couple of hundred years ago. Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

And yet they're the biggest flag wavers on the planet.

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!!!

I think you'll find all of those things exist in every country in the whole world bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Brilliant promotion if you ask me.

Eiffel Tower and other world famous buildings lit up in green, parades in many different countries, and so on. We take advantage of this by sending politicians off on trade missions too.

Fantastic exposure for the country, and in this way we are completely punching above our weight when you look at some countries with bigger populations and economies, who'd be delighted with that kind of focus on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

And in the general population.

Unfortunately I actually agree with this to an extent. I dont think Irish people are as kind and friendly to each other as they are to outsiders when playing up to the 100,000 welcomes and friendliest country in the world tags.

A lot of begrudgery and constantly trying to take fellow countrymen down exists in our society. You'd see it displayed quite a bit under the guise of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

That's a terrible comment, you should live in Spain for a while, they drink a way more than the irish.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And yet they're the biggest flag wavers on the planet.

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!!!

True, it's like when Irish people emigrate at the moment. When they're abroad, they love being Irish and telling everyone they're Irish. When they come home, they love to complain about Ireland and tell everyone how good the country they just came back from is.

People are strange!

• Advertisement

Django99 wrote: »
    I think you'll find all of those things exist in every country in the whole world bar none.

Not to the extent here.

You won't find bookies in the majority of countries in the world.

Bookies are like a second home to many in this country.

I won't even have to go into alcohol.

Advertisement