Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've heard a few reports that Detox has been given a release date of 4/20, that's the 20th of April for us non Americans ;)

skepticat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I've heard a few reports that Detox has been given a release date of 4/20, that's the 20th of April for us non Americans ;)

How many times have we heard reports like that, I wouldn't look much into it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The same thing happened last year when Just Blaze put out that video with Dre saying "4/20, baby. 4/20, I’m comin'".

Then there is the fact that all albums in America are released on a Tuesday. There doesn't seem to be a specific reason for it but a few a mentioned here. 4/20 while being the perfect day in a chronic-marketing sense is a Friday this year due to the leap year so I reckon there is no chance at all of him releasing it that day.

The only thing we can expect on 4/20 is the sequel to Cover Coup from Curren$y and Alchemist I reckon, and frankly at this stage I'd nearly prefer that over Detox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Definitely false. Like Jimmy mentioned, Dre and Just Blaze appeared in a video last year saying "4/20" but Dre's reps immediately denied that he was talking about the release date for Detox. Despite what everyone has said about it over the years I always believed that Detox would come out but now I genuinely believe that it will never be released.

10 years later and hundreds (if not thousands) of scrapped songs, 10+ leaked tracks, several snippets, two official singles with two big budget videos and countless confirmed guests/producers/ghost writers have amounted to nothing. Then there's Dre and Jimmy who are completely reluctant to talk about the album in any press interviews. Jimmy wants to sell Beats, Dre wants to take a break from music. Detox is not coming out in 2012, absolutely no chance.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    10 years later and hundreds (if not thousands) of scrapped songs, 10+ leaked tracks, several snippets, two official singles with two big budget videos and countless confirmed guests/producers/ghost writers have amounted to nothing. Then there's Dre and Jimmy who are completely reluctant to talk about the album in any press interviews. Jimmy wants to sell Beats, Dre wants to take a break from music. Detox is not coming out in 2012, absolutely no chance.

What can I say they are making me even more wealthy than I ever thought I would be. Can't believe people are stupid enough to buy them, especially at that price :pac:.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A lilst of 100 albums we should see this year
    - Ski Beatz - 24 Hour Karate School Presents Twilight - DD172/BluRoc
    - DJ Premier + Bumpy Knuckles – The Kollexxxion – Year Round
    - DJ Premier + KRS-One – Return Of The Boom Bip – Year Round
    - KRS-One – Just Like That
    - Sean Price – Mic Tyson – Duck Down
    - Xzibit – Napalm
    - Nas + Common – Nas Dot Com
    - Dr. Dre – Detox – Aftermath
    - B.o.B. – Strange Clouds – Atlantic
    - T.I. – Trouble Man - Atlantic
    - Big K.R.I.T. – 4evaNaDay (Mixtape)
    - Big K.R.I.T. – Live From The Underground – Def Jam
    - Asher Roth – Is This Too Orange – Def Jam
    - Kid Cudi and Dot Da Genius - WZRD
    - Nas – Life Is Good – Def Jam
    - Jay Electronica – Act II: Patents of Nobility (the turn) – Roc Nation
    - J. Dilla – The Rebirth of Detroit
    - Crooked I – Million Dollar Story
    - Prodigy of Mobb Deep – HNIC 3
    - Mobb Deep – Mobb Deep
    - Killer Mike – R.A.P. (Rebellious African People) Music – Grand Hu$tle
    - Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele Presents Blue & Cream: The Wally Era - Def Jam
    - Ghostface Killah + MF Doom – Doomstarks – Nature Sounds
    - Rick Ross – God Forgives, I Don’t – Def Jam
    - Action Bronson + Party Supplies – Blue Chips – Fool’s Gold
    - Action Bronson – Commander’s Palace Mixtape
    - Statik Selektah + Bun B – Untitled LP
    - Statik Selektah + Termanology – 2012 – Showoff
    - Statik Selektah + Styles P – Untitled LP
    - Statik Selektah + Strong Arm Steady – Stereotype
    - Maino – The Day After Tomorrow
    - N.O.R.E. – S.U.P.E.R.T.H.U.G. – Thugged Out Militatinment
    - Pete Rock + Camp Lo – 80 Blocks From Tiffany’s
    - 50 Cent – Fifth Studio Album – Interscope
    - Alchemist + Evidence – Step Brothers
    - Alchemist + Curren$y – Re-Conversionalize
    - Alchemist + Kool G. Rap – ????
    - Alchemist + Action Bronson – ?????
    - Alchemist + Freddie Gibbs – Devil’s Palace
    - Freddie Gibbs + Madlib – Madgibbs
    - Pete Rock – Petestrumentals II
    - Curren$y – Muscle Car Chronicles – DD172
    - Raekwon – Only Built For Cuban Links 3
    - D-Block + Ghostface + Raekwon + Cappadonna – Wu-Block
    - Redman – Muddy Waters 2
    - Method Man – Crystal Meth
    - Redman + Method Man – Blackout! 3
    - G.O.O.D. Music Vol. One
    - Immortal Technique – The Middle Passage
    - Brother Ali – Mourning In America and Dreaming In Color
    - Joe Budden – The Great Escape
    - Slaughterhouse Shady Records LP
    - Busta Rhymes – E.L.E. 2 – Cash Money
    - Demigodz – ????
    - Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being 2
    - Lil Wayne – Rebirth 2
    - Emanon (Aloe Blacc + Exile) – Bird’s Eye View
    - Q-Tip – The Last Zulu
    - Masta Ace + MF Doom – Ma Doom
    - El-P – Cancer For The Cure – Definitive Jux
    - Consequence – Get Even – Bandcamp
    - Vinnie Paz – The Priest of Bloodshed – Enemy Soil
    - Army Of The Pharoahes – In Death Reborn – Enemy Soil
    - Copywrite – God Save The King – Man Bites Dog
    - O.C. + Apollo Brown – Trophies – Mello Music Group
    - Rick Ross + Drake - Y.O.L.O. (You Only Live Once) Mixtape
    - Talib Kweli – Prisoner of Conscious
    - Blu + Madlib – UCLA
    - Blackstar – Black Star Aretha Mixtape
    - Showbiz and AG – Mugshot Music
    - Joell Ortiz – The Life and Times of Sebastian Rios
    - Freeway – Diamond In The Ruff
    - Ryan Leslie – Les Is More
    - Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    - Lupe Fiasco – Food and Liquor 2
    - Lupe Fiasco + Pharrell – ????
    - Ludacris - Ludaversal – Def Jam
    - Re-Up Gang – Long Live The Caine Mixtape
    - Clipse Reunion LP
    - NYG’z – Year Round LP
    - ¡MAYDAY! – Take Me To Your Leader - Strange Music
    - De La Soul – You’re Welcome (?)
    - De La Soul Are First Serve LP
    - Kool G. Rap + Necro – The Godfathers – Psycho+Logical-Records
    - Statik Selektah + Action Bronson – New Jack City: Chopped and Screwed
    - Too $hort – No Trespassing
    - David Banner – The Make Believe Album
    - Stalley – Savage Journey To The American Dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Wow - There is a ridiculous amount of potentially great albums in that list even when compared to 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

El-P has posted that he has finished recording his new album 'Cancer For Cure'. This is awesome news.

• Advertisement

Big K.R.I.T. has released the first single off his upcoming mixtape "4Eva N a Day". As usual he produced it as well. Nice jazzy feel to it with the saxophone playing. Really looking forward to his mixtape and then the album later on in the year.

Also it's great name for the song when you look at the description he gives for it below. "Y'all wanna win? Put Boobie in."
    the 1st song i wanted 2 release from #4evaNaDay is called Boobie Miles. Its about over coming all the obstacles that block your dreams, the sacrifices that come with how hard you have to go to obtain your goal, giving your all no matter what the situation, the only difference between a winner N a loser is a winner plays until he wins - K.R.I.T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

looking forward to that krit mixtape, i like that one ^^^

k naan just dropped a 5 track EP, its not bad its called more beautiful than silence, nas and nelly furtado ft on it.

looking forward to the new album, interesting too see what he comes with after his wavin flag success at the world cup. Very commercial approach to this EP though but its not bad, liking the song with nas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

xzibit-napalm-single-cover.jpg

The cover for Xzibits new album, it's safe to say I can't wait for it, really starting to enjoy Xzibits music lately.

1st I heard of a new X album, excellent. At the Speed of Life is quality, must give it another listen. One of the best Hip Hop tracks ever:

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The cover for Xzibits new album, it's safe to say I can't wait for it, really starting to enjoy Xzibits music lately.

Don't think that's the album cover (ft. Travis Barker), probably the first single. First I've heard of the new album too, look forward to hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Don't think that's the album cover (ft. Travis Barker), probably the first single. First I've heard of the new album too, look forward to hearing it.
    well Xzibit tweeted it a while back and it's on his official site but you could be right :)

• Advertisement

Exile feat. Fashawn. Only out a few hours. Pretty nice.

Just got some info on Stalley, new mixtape and album due this year:
    Look for “Songs by Me, Stalley” this month followed by Stalley’s new project “Savage Journey to the American Dream” coming soon, stay tuned and check out the Behind the Scenes Vlog. The Stalley Webstore just relaunched, check out the new goods at http://store.stalley330.com/. Shows
    Feb 4-Sugarbush, VT
    Feb 10-Jake’s Nightclub-Bloomington, IN
    Feb 18-Ohio University
    Feb 25-Phantasy Concert Hall-Cleveland, OH
    Feb 27-NYU
    Feb 28-Caramel-Washington, DC
    New Music
    God’s Child-Listen/Download
    Blue Sky-Listen/Download
    Cash and My Cutty-Listen/Download
    Harsh Ave-Listen/Download
    City of 30,000 Wolves-Listen/Download
    Rich Forever (featured on The World is Ours and Party Heart)-Download
    Lincoln Way Nights (Remastered by Young Guru)-Buy Now-Physical/Digital

New Music Videos
    Gettin’ It-G-Side feat. Stalley
    The Night
    Go On-Coming soon to MTV
    Gentleman’s Quarterly

Merch
    Shop

Social
    Website
    Youtube
    Facebook
    Twitter
    BlueCollarGang-Join here

Big News:
    Brother Ali

Just put the finishing touches on our Free EP, The Bite Marked Heart that drops tomorrow. Seven songs featuring Phonte of Little Brother, Niiki Jean, Stokley Williams of Mint Condition and Aby Wolf. Beats provided by Jake One and Ant. Make sure to check out the video for "Shine On". Hope you don't mind us sharing some new music before we release my official album later this year.

423808_10150513184216184_7431386183_8778212_1923504566_n.jpg

I just saw Electronica Album trending on Twitter there. I clicked in expecting some amazing news from J Electronica to find it was about the award for the Grammys tonight. Very disappointing. Maybe next time

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

cant wait for tomorrow:D

• Advertisement

Curren$y's 7th album is being released tomorrow, "Muscle Car Chronicles". I read a review of it on HipHopDX and they gave it 4 out of 5. As they said at the end of the review he is a "Black and Yellow" away from the big time.

Hopefully he manages to have a big hit soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Finally lads, the 1st single from "R.A.P Music" dropped today :D

Absolute banger, "Big Beast" featuring Bun B and T.I;

Chamillionaire is officially back in the game. He's releasing an EP on the 20th of March called "Ammunition". There are 8 songs on it.

Anyone who pre-orders will receive a free download of a song he made called "Won't Change" feat. Tami LaTrell.

I'll be per-ordering it later. Psyched for Chams return.

I reckon it'll be a teaser for an album later on this year some time. He's independent now so he has full control of what he puts out. Expect greatness.

01ef940903b2b857bff9ada40d74085f.jpg

Yes Jimmy! Really looking forward to new Cham!!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yes Jimmy! Really looking forward to new Cham!!

Here's the first single off it. Love when he does the hooks himself. He puts Eminem and the like to shame with their attempts.

I'm liking it, That Ammunition tee is class as well, would def wear that. will have to think about preordering this. how much in euro did it cost ya Jimmy?

Haven't pre-ordered it yet. I'm waiting to see if they ship to Ireland first. There has been a lot of issues before with the company Cham uses for shipping. I think they've sorted it out now though.

I reckon it'll be around €20 for the main package with maybe €8/9 for delivery if we're lucky. I'll probably go for the main one as well. The t-shirt looks good alright and I'm in need of a few t-shirts these days.

Some of the New York Hip-Hop ****...

Oh and...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

I liked the one track he released as the vid, Shine On but wasnt too mad on the rest of the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Blue Sky Black Death released an album last month with some guy called Nacho Picasso, he's a weak rapper, but BSBD kill the production on here;

Fresh Daily has a new album on March 2nd called '"The Brooklyn Good Guy".

This is the best news i've heard today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Surprised nobody posted this up yet, a typically 'out there' video for the new single 'Rella' from next months The Odd Future Tape Vol. 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Drake, Lil Wayne, Big Sean etc are all not my cup of tea.

But OF I wish they would just go and never release anything ever again. They deserve the least credit I have ever seen in any rappers/group.

I wish Busta would headbutt him….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

WZRD has been leaked.

Curren$y and Styles P mixtape dropping in 2 days time.

Curreny_Styles_P_the1st28-front-large.jpg

Keno 92 wrote: »
    WZRD has been leaked.

Never heard of WZRD, looked em up and I don't like Cudi at all but I only heard one of his songs day n night so I youtube this and was not what I was expecting. What a refreshing album! Thanks man!

Not exactly hip hop but class track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Aww man you have to listen to more than Day N Night! Nowhere near his best!

• Advertisement

Day N Night is just awful, awful music (and I'm a Cudi fan). He has some really great tracks that most people don't know about, haven't heard his new album yet but will give it a listen during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Blu & Madlib have released an album called UCLA which I have to say is pretty damn good!

Btw the album cover is excellent.......but it's NSFW so be warned!

[

That's my winner for album cover of the year locked down already anyway :D.

I just had a look there and Blu has taken the mixtape down now. According to PreFix mag:
    So it turns out that Madlib was never involved with UCLA, his "joint" mixtape with Blu. That's what Pitchfork was told by Madlib's label, Stones Throw. Jeez.

Hopefully I'll find it somewhere.

Two guys, Havehitta and DJ Unexpected have put together a pretty interesting project, a Ghostface and Preemo EP. I recognise dome of Ghost's verses from Fishscale. The beats are class. Everything goes together pretty nicely.

Maybe this might convince Preemo and Ghost to get together and put out some music.

The more I listen to it the more I think it's amazing. Some classic martial arts cuts in it. Gonna download it now I think.

The second song, Shaolin V Lama, is probably the best on it. Sick choon.
    Never the types to rest on their laurels, Hevehitta & DJ Unexpected incorporate a new idea into their already diverse catalog. Known as the Mixtaep (the last 2 letters purposely reversed), it will come to be known as a mixtape EP for free download. These will be released occasionally, with various themes accompanying the project. For the first entry, they present “Duel Of The Iron Fists”, starring Ghostface Killah of the Wu-Tang Clan and DJ Premier, legendary producer and 1/2 of Gangstarr. Continuing with their already infamous “Martial Arts Mixtape” series, this one features Ghostface Killah vocals over DJ Premier beats, with various kung-fu movie samples mixed in. Keeping a firm grip on their motto, “Enjoy And Be Educated”, there are also breakbeat sections for said artists, with original samples presented which would be the foundation for their respective hits. DJ Unexpected has also provided a write-up for the project, detailing the inspirations for each track presented here. Hevehitta & DJ Unexpected would like to thank all of their supporters and the artists involved for the inspiration. Enjoy and be Educated!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

Ja Rule released PIL 2 today all reviews have generally had good things to say about it. A few tracks from it:

Believe

Real Life Fantasy

Never Had Time

Parachute

& Black Vodka

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    WZRD has been leaked.

Cudi is going mad on Twitter tonight. Apparently his label only shipped 55k copies of his album out.

He should get off Universal as soon as possible. Not a big fan of Cudi but they are a joke. Chamillionaire had problems with them for years. Difference was he stood up to them and said no when they told him what songs they wanted him to record.

The world would be a far better place if there were no record labels at all. People would be able to put out music the way they want and not have to pander to some bull**** executive who spends his whole day in an office and hasn't a clue at all about the music he is supposed to be promoting.

It's no wonder really that most artists mistapes are better than their albums, content wise.

If he sticks with them after this shambles then he deserves to be ****ed with. Independent is the way to go. Two many cooks spoiling the broth in the majors.

DdtDn.png

31K4b.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

MOTM3 on hold till 2014?

If he sticks with Universal then it'll be closer to 2016 I'd say taking their sheer ineptitude into account.

That's too bad, 55k copies are they having a laugh? At least Cudi isn't taking it sitting down, if I were him I'd keep going at the label, this happens way too often.

He has no hope of making any dent in the charts with that number. He'd want to be careful airing his dirty laundry on Twitter though. He could end up being in breach of his contract or something and get sued. Last thing he wants right now.

Fight them behind closed doors and then proclaim to the world that he is off the label.

He should never have signed up for that album in the first place. No use complaining now that the label were getting him to rush through on this album. If they didn't like it then that's their fault, but now he's the one that's being made to pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement