Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

One possible and legal solution.

1.jpg

I don't see what a Freddie Mercury tache and ill fitting pyjama bottoms are going to achieve. Although on second look....

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

I had that young traveller girl with a green sheet looking for sponsorship this evening. There was an older guy waiting for her 2 doors up. Roselawn area. Heard she followed older people into their homes when they turned to get money. Just beware people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Last Sunday morning (27th May) a few residents reported 2 guys ringing door bells at 3am in Riverwood Chase. It wasn't every door.

Apparently they claimed to be deaf and were looking for some money. One neighbour observed them checking car doors.
    Bizarre and very suspicious.

Unfortunately no one rang the Gardai (we don't have much confidence in their response time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The pattern emerging here is that burglars and opportunist thieves are obviously prepared to take more risks in what they do.

For example, I have responsibility for a dormant industrial site (not in D15), which although not occupied still has materials and fittings on site that are valuable. There are good alarms and security response for it and still we've had a few incidents since February of copper thefts and boundary fence breaches. The last such incident was on Friday night so I organised a permanent security man for the site for the weekend until I could get the alarms checked over, but low and behold on Saturday night two van loads of 'Irish lads' turned up at the front gate and started questioning the security man about why he was there and that they understood there was no manned security on the place. They seemed very put out that they couldnt just stroll in and strip the place having disabled the alarms the night before!!!

My point is, if you think blaggers and robbers wont be so brazen they will, if you think theyd never do something so obvious or in broad daylight, they will, if you think theyd never risk the guards being called on them, they will.

Even if it seems an over the top precaution for your home, do whatever it takes to make it unattractive and maybe your neighbour will be the unfortunate one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

RTT wrote: »
    I had that young traveller girl with a green sheet looking for sponsorship this evening. There was an older guy waiting for her 2 doors up. Roselawn area. Heard she followed older people into their homes when they turned to get money. Just beware people.

yes the traveller that called to myself and my neighbours, entered all our homes, luckily my 8 year old is very nosey and stood staring at her until i arrived back with wallet to sponser her, foolish me! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The pattern emerging here is that burglars and opportunist thieves are obviously prepared to take more risks in what they do.

For example, I have responsibility for a dormant industrial site (not in D15), which although not occupied still has materials and fittings on site that are valuable. There are good alarms and security response for it and still we've had a few incidents since February of copper thefts and boundary fence breaches. The last such incident was on Friday night so I organised a permanent security man for the site for the weekend until I could get the alarms checked over, but low and behold on Saturday night two van loads of 'Irish lads' turned up at the front gate and started questioning the security man about why he was there and that they understood there was no manned security on the place. They seemed very put out that they couldnt just stroll in and strip the place having disabled the alarms the night before!!!

My point is, if you think blaggers and robbers wont be so brazen they will, if you think theyd never do something so obvious or in broad daylight, they will, if you think theyd never risk the guards being called on them, they will.

Even if it seems an over the top precaution for your home, do whatever it takes to make it unattractive and maybe your neighbour will be the unfortunate one instead

Couldn't agree more ... I always put alarm on at night, double check all the doors and windows locked e.t.c .. The other day I noticed the kitchen window had been tampered with and the frame damaged. It looks like someone just checked if window was locked fully and then left. The same night a neighbour a few doors away heard someone come in the back door and they ran away when they heard someone come downstairs.

Neighbour said the door was unlocked and they don't always remember to check it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I had my laser card taken out of my pocket in Tesco Roselawn last night around 6.45pm. Unusually didn't bring a handbag but stuck the card lose in my pocket thinking it would be faster, just needed a few things. It was there in the bread aisle but gone by the tills. Pockets are deep so it wouldn't have fallen out. They checked cctv from the checkout queue but nothing. Bloody inconvenient on a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Very strange to have a laser card pick-pocketed, it has no value without the PIN and only 3 attempts to get it, so unless there was someone looking over your shoulder at the ATM before you went into the store then I'd imagine it's just lost and not stolen. It could be a case of it fell out somewhere and someone stroked it for the heck of it, but even then that's a long shot. I'd call them back at some stage today to see if anyone handed it in...but you probably have it cancelled anyway.

Sorry to hear, either way, I know it's a massive pain in the hole.

It definitely couldn't have fallen out, I retraced my steps with a friend who came down to pay for my stuff and checked to see if it would have come out of the pocket, no way it would have. Maybe an opportunistic inexperienced thief.

Left my details and called the store again, no sign of the card. Given the weekend that's in it it's particularly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was out in the back garden doing some work and bringing concrete blocks out to a skip in the front garden. So the front door was left wide open as both hands were full.

Found a traveller woman with 3 young kids at the front door on the way out. One of the kids was looking in the living room window and the other (about 4 year old) was actually in the hallway. She said she was struggling and if I could give her some money to help feed/cloth the kids.

After turning her away (I explained that I already donate money to charity weekly), she then went to the other houses on the street.

Could be genuine, but I really doubt it.

This is the Roselawn area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

It would amaze you what the kids have been trained to do - and people generally presume the best when kids are rifling through things. Had one routing through the boot of the car when I was vacuuming it in Ongar whilst the mother kept me talking and attention diverted at something else

Just had a caller to the door, a woman on a crutch, supposedly doing a charity collection except for her own son. Felt very dodgy. Waterville area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bikes being vandalised and parts taken from them at cool mine train station.

Just had the pleasure of pushing mine home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are new bike lockers fitted in Castleknock Station, hopefully Coolmine will get them too.

Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Cool mine have'em as well. But don't use the bike to it often enough to spend on it. Only if I get up late.

Well... didn't anyway.

Just put it up, because they completely destroyed someone else's bike as well. So just to be aware for anyone else intending on using it.

EDIT

Just checked the website for them lockers: http://www.bikelocker.ie/rent.html

You have to rent them, so not really worth while for causual use.

Not the most informative website is it?!!

And ok so they have an online presence but why can't you rent online?

Anyone know how much they cost to rent?

I think they have missed an opportunity for making revenue from casual users - unless you can physically pay at the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The cost to rent is €75.00 a year which is just €1.45 per week. This includes vat at 23% which we have to charge you.
    We would also need a refundable deposit of €25.00 for the lock and key.

Taken from an email someone posted in the cycling forum.

The locks are just normal padlocks as well. The only thing is they've got metal pieces around them preventing them from being interfered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

3 bikes stolen from Rosehaven apartments right across the street from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kingtrojan

I'm fully aware theres a few threads out there which cover the topic of robberies and the recent increase with them.

I'm wondering has anybody had any recent expieriences in the dublin 15 and surrounding areas ?

Self protection actions may well need to be brought into use to stop the scum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

They were all put in the neighbourhood watch thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Tadaaaaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We have a second car at the moment that we're trying to sell. It was parked outside the garden in our "visitor parking". Unfortunately the battery went in it so the alarm is not working, the radio was robbed from it the other day and they couldn't get it start obviously so left it there. Battery is now charged and car has been moved into the garden with new car parked behind it. Scum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Getting word via work of a good few break-ins in Black wood area . Serious stuff & attacking the phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chippy80

House Break in last Friday daytime in bishops orchard, Tyrrelstown .
    House ransacked for money/ jewellery. Nothing else taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

KoolKid wrote: »
    Getting word via work of a good few break-ins in Black wood area . Serious stuff & attacking the phone lines.

Daytime, Nighttime?

As newish houses probably all have good alarms so lines are being attacked.

Any word on cylinder locks bumped etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

nudger wrote: »
    Daytime, Nighttime?

As newish houses probably all have good alarms so lines are being attacked.

Any word on cylinder locks bumped etc?

Daytime.
    One in particular were away after that they pulled the whole fuseboard off the wall & blew the main fuse outside:eek:. Brave or stupid.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cutting the phone line or the power will activate an alarm anyway so you'd wonder why they bother.

Cutting the phone will disable the monitoring if no other form of signaling is in place. But pulling a live fuseboard off the wall serves no purpose unless it's a suicide mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

KoolKid wrote: »
    Cutting the phone will disable the monitoring if no other form of signaling is in place. But pulling a live fuseboard off the wall serves no purpose unless it's a suicide mission.

Well if they were smart, they would probably have jobs.

• Advertisement

Well if they were smart, they would probably have jobs.

Or at least realise there's a switch outside at the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Most new or retrofitted monitored alarms use GSM and battery backups so cutting power and/or phoneline should not matter.

Its worth spending the few quid to get this done if you have an older system, its great peace of mind if you have elderly relatives etc relying on their alarms

GSM is considered by most in the industry as an unreliable form of monitoring. GSM can be easily jammed without any physical tampering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Was a few lads of the "can I clean your gutters boss" persuasion around today. I was out of the house but had the IP camera on. He stood outside my front door, proceeded to light up a fag, and stood there for a good three minutes with his hands down his pants before he moved on. This was at about 1pm. Keep an eye out!

House broken into at the racecourse end of Blackhorse ave this morning around 11 am.
    Smashed in the Patio doors and thrashed the house, got laptops.
    Tall dark haired guy with eastern European accent giving out clothes collection leaflets beside the house at the time, spoke with neighbours.
    No one home at the time, alarm off, details given to AGS.

Great news, AGS caught the fecker (Lithuanian Gentleman) in his van, think they had him in mind, was "Known to AGS".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

great news that he was caught. I hope het gets his just rewards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

exador wrote: »
    great news that he was caught. I hope het gets his just rewards

He'll be out in an hour. Might get a caution or a suspended sentence when he goes to court but nothing too bad of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

nudger wrote: »
    House broken into at the racecourse end of Blackhorse ave this morning around 11 am.

Would that not be D7 rather than D15?

amdublin wrote: »
    Would that not be D7 rather than D15?

On the border of 7 and 15, Belleville is D15 (Bertie's x Misses pad and the Lacey kidnap) as are parts of Ashtown, Rathbourne etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

So it turns out that the guy slashed the Monet painting at the weekend was an Ongar resident... http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0702/breaking12.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

All quite out there in d15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Yet another traveller children sponsored walk caller just now,how many walks are they doing:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

horse7 wrote: »
    All quite out there in d15?
    Audi rs4 stolen http://boards.ie/tre/2056701251

hawkwing wrote: »
    Yet another traveller children sponsored walk caller just now,how many walks are they doing:confused:

Reports of them in Swords and D7 collecting for St Margarets school Navan which is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Someone has to pay for those gipsy weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone know what happened the fence at the end of the Ongar Road (just before the roundabout to turn right into Allendale)...looks like somebody crashed into it but it's a straight piece of road. It actually looks like a monster truck drove over and back on top of it to wreck it ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Saw that. Looks like a strange one all right.

Yeah a friend of mine lives nearby. Apparently a silver bmw crashed through it while being pursued by a 3 garda cars and one or two unmarked ones. Apparently there were guns drawn too.

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened the fence at the end of the Ongar Road (just before the roundabout to turn right into Allendale)...looks like somebody crashed into it but it's a straight piece of road. It actually looks like a monster truck drove over and back on top of it to wreck it ha

• Advertisement

Here is a pic.

Advertisement