Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Also track for track and as an album Gods son is also every bit as good as Illmatic imo.

Wouldn't say that but it's definitely a good album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Have a look at the tracklist and ignore the fact that Illmatic was his debut and he was young and all that.

They are two excellent albums, one eclipsed by the other for nostalagia reasons and by the fact hip-hop in the 90s was much different to the early 2000s.

Have a look at the tracklist and ignore the fact that Illmatic was his debut and he was young and all that.

They are two excellent albums, one eclipsed by the other for nostalagia reasons and by the fact hip-hop in the 90s was much different to the early 2000s.

I'm listening to God's Son right now..I love the album but it's no Illmatic, Illmatic is perfection IMO. Also don't like the remix with Tupac on there.

If Gods son came first, I think people would prefer it over Illmatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

It was written and stillmatic are every bit as good as illmatic when you take out the "omg he was -2 when he wrote it and it was his debut" reactions.

Also track for track and as an album Gods son is also every bit as good as Illmatic imo.

Wouldn't agree with that at all man, Fair few good songs on all 3 albums with some being deservant of classics but neither are close to illmatic in anyway IMO.

As far as track by track on gods son, i also wouldnt agree. Of the top of my head I loved get down, dance, made you look and heaven. I never liked "I can" or "thugz mansion" no matter how popular they were back then when released as singles. There might be more I liked but I havnt listened to that album in years tbh only really the songs listed above on my iPod every so often.

Was probably his last decent album though and that was what around 10 years ago ! but in all honesty its no illmatic by any stretch of the imagination for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I'd agree with this, I listened to Illmatic a few nights ago for the first time in a long while and it's just one of the most enjoyable listening experiences in music for me, quotable after quotable, every producer bringing their A-game, and a young, hungry Nas, it's impossible to top

God's Son is a really solid album, but Zone Out, Thugz Mansion, Warrior Song and Hey Nas do nothing for me.

To be honest in essence I agree with a lot of what MUFC is saying, most Nas albums, to me, have their share of filler tracks, whereas Illmatic is flawless start to finish, and I think it's one of the only albums I know were every track has been my favourite at some point

If he gets his beat selection right, Life Is Good should be his best work since God's Son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It was written and stillmatic are every bit as good as illmatic when you take out the "omg he was -2 when he wrote it and it was his debut" reactions.

Completely disagree here, I heard illmatic and instantly fell in love with it.
    It was months later i found out what age he was when he wrote it. and it still had no effect on what i thought of it. In fact i can't even remember what age he was when he wrote it (19 or 20 i think)

With better production maybe some of his other albums could come close to illmatic but the production isn't great on most of his albums and it was phenomenal on illmatic.

Wouldn't agree with that at all man, Fair few good songs on all 3 albums with some being deservant of classics but neither are close to illmatic in anyway IMO.

Was probably his last decent album though and that was what around 10 years ago ! but in all honesty its no illmatic by any stretch of the imagination for me.

Yes, neither of them were his debut. If they were they would be more highly regarded. All opinion of course.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I heard illmatic and instantly fell in love with it.

It was months later i found out what age he was when he wrote it. and it still had no effect on what i thought of it. In fact i can't even remember what age he was when he wrote it (19 or 20 i think)

With better production maybe some of his other albums could come close to illmatic but the production isn't great on most of his albums and it was phenomenal on illmatic.

The fact it was his debut and his age are always, always brought up when this album is discussed. A classic, but very very very rose tinted. Some of his other albums deserves as much credit at least.

Thugz mansion is a great song not only because of 2pac but it has a better acoustic guitar beat.

Yes, neither of them were his debut. If they were they would be more highly regarded. All opinion of course.

do you not think someone's music represents a era? illmatic captured that very early 90s new york movement like no other album has ever done.

illmatic is the closest we will ever get to hearing a perfect hip hop album, god's son is honestly not comparable man. I can name loads and loads of albums better than gods son while i cant say the same for illmatic.

Yes it was amazing, yes it was a classic even when it came out even though it was surrounded by other amazing albums.

But I do not think just because of this it should eclipse his later music which is easily as good as Illmatic.

• Advertisement

Yes it was amazing, yes it was a classic even when it came out even though it was surrounded by other amazing albums.

But I do not think just because of this it should eclipse his later music which is easily as good as Illmatic.

suppose like you said, its opinion. i cant agree with that because i personally didnt enjoy most of nas's later albums entirely but i respect your opinon whether i agree or not.:)

I would re-listen to them if I were you especially since you seem to love Illmatic.

Listened to both albums in full over the last 2 days and sorry to disagree Conor but there is no way God's Son is anywhere near as good as Illmatic, nothing to do with his age or the fact that it was his debut, it's just the better of the two. To be fair there's nothing even slightly rose tinted about Illmatic, it's arguably the greatest Hip-Hop album of all time and is widely regarded as such.

God's Son is a great album but it is in no way as good as or better than Illmatic. I can't understand how anyone could think songs 'Thugs Mansion Remix' or 'I Can' can be compared with Memory Lane, Halftime, Ain't Hard To Tell, etc. Every single song on Illmatic is a classic. God's Son is a nice album but it's not up there with the best of them.

it's arguably the greatest Hip-Hop album of all time and is widely regarded as such.

God's Son is a great album but it is in no way as good as or better than Illmatic. I can't understand how anyone could think songs 'Thugs Mansion Remix' or 'I Can' can be compared with Memory Lane, Halftime, Ain't Hard To Tell, etc. Every single song on Illmatic is a classic. God's Son is a nice album but it's not up there with the best of them.

I agree it is arguably one of the best albums ever. I can is a great song the lyrics are much better imo.

To each their own. Illmatic is great but his other albums are arguably as good if not better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2 new Chamillionaire freestyles
    both are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

On topic: Really looking forward to El-P's album in a few weeks

Off topic: What's with all the detailing going on in this tread? I had to unsubscribe because instead of getting news of new releases and upcoming projects I've had to wade through pages of dross about who's better 'Game or Chamillionaire?' and now a three page discussion on the entire Nas back catalogue :rolleyes:

Raekwon wrote: »
    On topic: Really looking forward to El-P's album in a few weeks

Off topic: What's with all the detailing going on in this tread? I had to unsubscribe because instead of getting news of new releases and upcoming projects I've had to wade through pages of dross about who's better 'Game or Chamillionaire?' and now a three page discussion on the entire Nas back catalogue :rolleyes:

Was there even a game vs chamillonaire debate?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Was there even a game vs chamillonaire debate?

That's beside the point. Chamilionaire's EP release sparked a debate between a couple of posters on how good he is etc, etc..... comparisons to Game & Lil' Wayne were mentioned and the thread was derailed for 4 pages. Now a clip for a new Nas track has done exactly the same, that was 4 pages ago and posters are still listing their favorite Nas albums for some reason :confused:

That's beside the point. Chamilionaire's EP release sparked a debate between a couple of posters on how good he is etc, etc..... comparisons to Game & Lil' Wayne were mentioned and the thread was derailed for 4 pages. Now a clip for a new Nas track has done exactly the same, that was 4 pages ago and posters are still listing their favorite Nas albums for some reason. It's actually ironic that Illmatic is probably older then some posters on here :pac:

Here if all the posts you think are off topic were an actual problem then one of the mods would have said something, why don't you just report what you think is off topic if it bothers you?

So you waited till it was over, and then posted more to bring it back?

• Advertisement

What's over? The Nas debate is still in full swing. A mod posted earlier if you want to debate about Chamilionaire then create a new thread. I reckon the same applies about Nas.

What's over? The Nas debate is still in full swing. A mod posted earlier if you want to debate about Chamilionaire then create a new thread. I reckon the same applies about Nas.

Yeah but you're not a mod. so who gives a fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music has been pushed back until May 29th.

Here's another track off the album, El-P's production is off the chain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

New Jay Rock:

Love the beat on that.

Also, news that Kendrick Lamar will feature on Meek Mill's Dreamchasers 2, looking forward to that.

new Cudi
    he is back rapping:)

New Nate Dogg featuring Game and Warren G. First single from the Nate Dogg EP.

http://d4premiere.com/warren-g-feat-nate-dogg-game-party-we-will-throw-now/

201965.jpg

• Advertisement

New Wiz Khalifa
    pretty sh1t though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

new Slaughterhouse ft Cee Loo
    not good imo

Phonte featuring Evidence & Big K.R.I.T. - "The Life Of Kings" (Produced by 9th Wonder)

Raekwon Featuring L.E.P. Bogus Boys - "This **** Hard" (Produced by Andre Muir & Dash)

3rd single from nas's new album "daughters" not bad at all now, im liking this one too.:)

• Advertisement

Now that i like. Best nas track in a few years imo
    Who produced this?

El-P - "Tougher Colder Killer" featuring Killer Mike and Despot

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

New Jon Hope video. Really like it, nice summer vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Love the new has track... thanks for posting.... :D

Really looking forward to the new Nas album, sounds great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

May is shaping up to be an awesome month, Aesop Rock, I Self Devine and MaLLY all to drop!

I'm excited!

Edit: Aesop isnt out til July. Damn Americans typing their dates backwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That track by Mally is handy enough. Went looking for some of his music there and he seems to have a ton of mixtapes out. Where would be the best place to start? I only have a very limited amount of space on my iPod so it has to be great :P.

To be honest I'm only getting into him myself. The only thing I have at the minute is his Free On The 15th EP thats on Itunes. Its great. Get it free on his bandcamp

http://mally.bandcamp.com/album/free-on-the-15th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Got it there. I'll give it a listen tomorrow. When's his album out?

Its out on the 15th and its called The Last Great

If physical copies is your thing, you can pre order at www.fifthelementonline.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

http://vimeo.com/39974024

Kendrick Lamar and Ace Hood feature on Birdman and Mack Maine's track "B Boyz". Thankfully Kendrick goes first, his verse is good, Ace Hood's is ok, Birdman is absolute crap, and Mack Maine's is average.

new freestyle from Chamillionaire

• Advertisement
Advertisement