Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I dont have two cables from any one location in the house unfortunately - i cant understand why it wont work though. i can record perfectly on any channel besides the ones added via card trick. Live pause works on those channels though so the skybox is saving a buffer on those channels when paused.

I dont know anyone who has a dual feed sky+hd box with the new software in ireland :(

I know what you're saying - I'm just clutching at straws really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

greendom wrote: »
    I know what you're saying - I'm just clutching at straws really :(

Never any harm in asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

When do you think they will bring in beta

manutd83 wrote: »
    When do you think they will bring in beta

The beta was already launched - there will be no recall of it since it is functioning well enough with the exception of bugs listed here - the card trick is not garenteed or designed by sky so they wont see it as a bug if it doesnt record.

The beta will end with the launch of the Full EPG for all customers :)

This information is accurate enough but sky being sky could change things....Ill keep ye as informed as I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

i can record perfectly on any channel besides the ones added via card trick. Live pause works on those channels though so the skybox is saving a buffer on those channels when paused.

Hang on, so the 'Card Trick' channels you can Pause, Rewind etc but can't record, that is weird :confused:

What other issues are people talking about on the Beta forum?

gtg60 wrote: »
    Hang on, so the 'Card Trick' channels you can Pause, Rewind etc but can't record, that is weird :confused:

What other issues are people talking about on the Beta forum?

Aye -the sky+hd box has no issue using the hard drive for buffering and storing live pause and yet it wont record.

I can pm you an official listing of issues from the sky forum but cannot post the full listings and details of it here - request via pm please for full listings and info :)

Since I cant post the full listing here - ill post the main ones that are still open so far

Stability Issues
    - MiniTV not shown / blue screen
    - Channel Numbers appear in grid but listings don’t load
    - STB stuck in standby or blue screen coming out of standby
    - STB locked on one channel
    - Planner content disappears until reboot
    - STB locks up on deletion / in planner
    - Unresponsive STB w/No Signal
    - Interactive blue screen stability problems
    - Unable to delete reminder
    - STB freeze on adding keep to anytime recording
    - Unable to exit playback using back button
    - Unstable STB with range of issues reported by Woddy
    - Anytime+ glitches occasionally during playback

Significant interface issues
    - PIN Request on Other Channels
    - Unable to access third party subscribed channel (purchase dialogue)
    - Future recordings show “To be recorded 0%”
    - Live Pause Unavailable
    - Unable to play “The London Debate” from showcase
    - Unexpected Anytime+ downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

It would not surprise me if not having 2 cables is making a difference,
    channels like itv2, channel 5 do have differences when recording, for instance if you record 2 channels at the same time one or both being a card trick channel when you enter a channel number e.g. 118 you will find on the screen message that you are making 2 recordings, this does not happen if you are recording 2 irish subscription channels e.g. sky one & sky sports2, and you key 106 or 402 on your remote you can watch one of them while recording, also if you have been watching say sky one for a while after it has started you can still record from the start but you would be unable to do this on say itv4 as it would only record from the moment you press the record button even if you have been watching the programme from the start.

energy1942 wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if not having 2 cables is making a difference,
    channels like itv2, channel 5 do have differences when recording, for instance if you record 2 channels at the same time one or both being a card trick channel when you enter a channel number e.g. 118 you will find on the screen message that you are making 2 recordings, this does not happen if you are recording 2 irish subscription channels e.g. sky one & sky sports2, and you key 106 or 402 on your remote you can watch one of them while recording, also if you have been watching say sky one for a while after it has started you can still record from the start but you would be unable to do this on say itv4 as it would only record from the moment you press the record button even if you have been watching the programme from the start.

It could - I just cant test it though :P Single feed recording is a simple record of the same channel though - its less complicated than a dual tuner record in alot of ways. Hmmm then why does live pause work and recording not so then on the added channels since the recording facility can access this buffer used for live pause and save it on official epg channels?

Im quite baffled myself :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

The record clash that i get could be resolved though by the use of a second tuner - i get your point - pity i cant test it :(

gtg60 suggested that I'd try dual mode even with one cable:

- No recording clash
    - However it didn't record since the default setting to record in dual tuner mode is input 2 from an lnb
    - I switched the cable to input two but damn thing didn't work..it was on the planner to record but would not
    - sky box kept saying no signal either when trying to view (obviously it was trying to use input one there)

Cheers to gtg60 for the idea - not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:

- No recording clash
    - However it didn't record since the default setting to record in dual tuner mode is input 2 from an lnb
    - I switched the cable to input two but damn thing didn't work..it was on the planner to record but would not
    - sky box kept saying no signal either when trying to view (obviously it was trying to use input one there)

Cheers to gtg60 for the idea - not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:
    That does sound a bit more optimistic though, would you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

not much else i can do besides climb the roof and hook up another cable and drill holes across the house LOL :eek:
    Its a big ask but would you consider taking the box to a friend or family members house house who has the 2 cables and try it there?

muffler wrote: »
    Its a big ask but would you consider taking the box to a friend or family members house house who has the 2 cables and try it there?

Already thought of that :P My mates and family either have upc or old sky thompson SD boxes with single feeds :( I could use a splitter but am wary of the possible risk of voltages

You could bring it to my gaff. I'm only up the road a bit

in Donegal

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    You could bring it to my gaff. I'm only up the road a bit

in Donegal

Road Trip Eh!!! :D:D:p:p:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm in co Wexford. Do you want to try it in my house? I have dual Feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I have an amstrad box but not the 1TB one, wil these boxes be getting the new EPG?

- No recording clash

Would you agree that this sounds a bit more hopefull?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭1dave

All firmware updates are applied to all applicable boxes that are powered and connected to a dish aligned on 28 East regardless of whether any viewing card is present. Note that the new HD EPG firmware will download to all HD+ boxes except Thompson boxes eventually. was the answer i got when i asked how an update was applied to a sky box. no hiding from it so:(

• Advertisement

1dave wrote: »
    All firmware updates are applied to all applicable boxes that are powered and connected to a dish aligned on 28 East regardless of whether any viewing card is present. Note that the new HD EPG firmware will download to all HD+ boxes except Thompson boxes eventually. was the answer i got when i asked how an update was applied to a sky box. no hiding from it so:(

Yep - Id say it will be a staggered release with it going to the 1TB and drx 890 first off but this all depends on when the beta is finished :) and what sky decide to do :P

Would you agree that this sounds a bit more hopefull?

"This" as in what my good sir? :)

jca wrote: »

Might take ye up on that - shall see - am quite busy at the moment - hence why I haven't been all that active on boards.ie as of late

"This" as in what my good sir? :)
    I think that when connected to two leads it may record on card trick, no reason why it should not.

Any chance of them adding an aspect ratio control for the 720p and 1080i modes?

I think that when connected to two leads it may record on card trick, no reason why it should not.

It may - as I said :P I can only surmise at the moment in regards to recording via card trick channels using dual tuner mode :p

Karsini wrote: »
    Any chance of them adding an aspect ratio control for the 720p and 1080i modes?

Not as of yet - it has been mentioned on their forums however. As far as I remember there is only aspect ratio control in RGB/scart mode.

Not as of yet - it has been mentioned on their forums however. As far as I remember there is only aspect ratio control in RGB/scart mode.

Thanks. I'm hoping for it as my TV can't do aspect ratio control on HDMI, so I have to use a SCART lead at the moment.

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm hoping for it as my TV can't do aspect ratio control on HDMI, so I have to use a SCART lead at the moment.

How come your HD flat screen cant correct the aspect ratio? have you no manual controls on the TV that could help?

How come your HD flat screen cant correct the aspect ratio? have you no manual controls on the TV that could help?

Samsung TVs don't support automatic aspect ratio control on HDMI, only via SCART. There is a manual override but it's a pain. On any other TV, setting the Sky box to Automatic will allow it, but not Samsungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Anyone have a picture to show what it should look like?

There's a few posted further back in this thread.

http://www.irishupandcomingmusicscene.tk/wordpressgaming/?p=201

Major update - the card trick no Longer works. I received an update on my sky box last night and it has blocked basically the ability to use the card trick I tried it again and again but it doesn't seem to work.

I've run the procedure several times today but to no avail I'll keep you informed but there is not much I can do about it I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Major update - the card trick no Longer works. I received an update on my sky box last night and it has blocked basically the ability to use the card trick I tried it again and again but it doesn't seem to work.

I've run the procedure several times today but to no avail I'll keep you informed but there is not much I can do about it I'd say

Does this mean that, when and if this new epg is released to everyone later in the year, no matter what make of box we have, the ability to use the card trick will be taken from us all ? If so, I'm glad I held on to my Humax pvr box.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Does this mean that, when and if this new epg is released to everyone later in the year, no matter what make of box we have, the ability to use the card trick will be taken from us all ? If so, I'm glad I held on to my Humax pvr box.

It does look that way but I am not too sure - I have to tinker around with the skybox a bit more in order to be sure - plus I've noticed that whenever I change the channel to a former card trick epg number it autoswitches to channel 998

I have to do more research and I'll keep you guys informed but it doesn't look too promising

Might take ye up on that - shall see - am quite busy at the moment - hence why I haven't been all that active on boards.ie as of late
    Pm me if you want to give it a try. Looking very gloomy at the moment for the card trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Feck - find bugs with the beta - lots of them - make them send it back to the drawing board :(;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

• Advertisement

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Was the card trick done using a blue card or one of the white ones ? Maybe they sent a signal to the boxes to kill all the old blue cards that are out there.

Blue cards are already dead so nothing to do with it.

I'm doing the trick with a blue card.

What happens when you do the trick? Does the uk epg load from the uk card at all?

The blue cards still load the english EPG for the card trick so in my eyes they are not dead yet.They will also load it on a HD box that I use for free to air that has the Irish EPG on it.

To clarify:
    The Blue cards are dead already, you said in your post that maybe Sky sent out a signal to kill the Blue cards, they can't do this.

Even though they are dead they still load the UK EPG so if the Card Trick was going to work it wouldn't matter if you used a Blue or White card, make sense?

To clarify:
    The Blue cards are dead already, you said in your post that maybe Sky sent out a signal to kill the Blue cards, they can't do this.

Even though they are dead they still load the UK EPG so if the Card Trick was going to work it wouldn't matter if you used a Blue or White card, make sense?

It does and doesnt because if you put an older card in the box any of the ones that predated the blue ones it wont recognaise them at all,and thats in any box not just the HD ones.

• Advertisement

Can you check if removing card and switching off at the mains changes epg to english version because if so it may be possible to record if you switch cards at the start of a programme as we could before the software update of autumm 2010. (which meant we could do the card trick as we now no it) ?

It does and doesnt because if you put an older card in the box any of the ones that predated the blue ones it wont recognaise them at all,and thats in any box not just the HD ones.

Yep. I tried an original UK Sky Digital card (light blue with Sky egg logo) in my HD box. I got a "No satellite signal is being received" error until I removed the card. I only have Irish yellow house and white cards so haven't been able to do the card trick on the HD box.

Can you check if removing card and switching off at the mains changes epg to english version because if so it may be possible to record if you switch cards at the start of a programme as we could before the software update of autumm 2010. (which meant we could do the card trick as we now no it) ?

It stays on the irish epg after a reboot with no card in it :) My apologies for the delay in responce folks....ive been rather busy recently with a massive website overhaul :)

What happens when you do the trick? Does the uk epg load from the uk card at all?

Beta Software - Latest Release in relation to card trick:

- You can load up the ftv epg with an Dark Blue/Purple marked DVC card in it and cannot record since its not a card that has recording enabled on it
    - You can load up the irish epg with a standard card
    - You only get irish epg after card removal and subsequent reboot with no card present
    - After attempting card trick and placing in irish card it would not show up the additional uk epg entries plus any time i try to type in a channel number like 102 which would share the same epg number as on the FTV epg it would automatically redirect to ch 998 (a subsequent glitch)

Dark Blue/Purple marked DVC - It was working perfectly originally for the card trick but an update killed the card trick but not the actual card. I put in the blue card on its own and it does work to give you the FTV epg for scotland in my case so its not as if the card has been rejected :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement