Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robocop (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jesus Christ that is terrible. Hope it's a fake.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

It is, don't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It is, don't worry

Thank fook for that if that was real I would have lost all hope :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Didn't they say the visor would be see through? There's your reasoning, it's fake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh dear God that's awful. Enough to put me off seeing it unless they release a really good trailer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

With the knowledge that José Padilha's directing it, Robocop could look like this and I'd still be going.

xufMBl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

You know why movies suck nowadays?

It's cause they don't have scenes like this anymore...

They either have a PG-13 rating and a story, or if they get an R rating they think "must just aswell go full on" and go overboard with the gore.

The 80s had great, simple stories(nowadays every action movie is a spy thriller with a twist), great acting, charisma, cheese and a tasteful amount of gore in them.

And it really showed that everyone just put their love into the movie to make it as good as they could, it showed that the directors were young and amateur, not knowing exactly what they are doing, but still very talented and wanted to make something good and were willing to experiment and try new ideas.

Nowadays you get a bunch of know-it-all executives sitting around discussing which audience should they target for maximum profit, it's a factory, a conveier... "hmm, yes Bill, we need to make it a PG-13, teenagers like cars and girls right? We need to have that too, but not too much skin cause we might hit that R, also what were the memorable quotes and phrases from the first movie? Let's put those in, the audience will love it."

Movie making maybe more streamlined and "professional" nowadays, but they took all the spirit out of movies, no risk taking at all.

Also they are gutless! They put a woman in that travesty of a remake of The Thing not because of the story and necessity, no, they put her there cause they wanted to be PC about it and were afraid of the backlash from some feminist group.

This movie will suck, The Thing remake sucks, Total Recall remake sucks, the whole Hollywood sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ this really, moviemaking by committee is way to prevalent in Hollywood these days, too many markets, key demographics, maximised market awareness blah blah blah, action movies have no soul anymore.

Watched Robocop for the first time in ages on Friday and I forgot just how good it is! Tried to watch the sequel though and turned it off after about 20 minutes. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They made the original script by Frank Miller for Robocop 2 into a comic. Oddly, we got a film of the original's quality in comparison to the original script.
    I really hate how they always try to inject comedy into every single flick nowadays. I remember the Donegal Democrat gave The Dark Knight 4 stars out of 5 citing lack of comedy as a flaw.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cursai wrote: »

Oh dear God let that whole article be a really bad joke please, that just sounds terrible beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They made the original script by Frank Miller for Robocop 2 into a comic. Oddly, we got a film of the original's quality in comparison to the original script.
    I really hate how they always try to inject comedy into every single flick nowadays. I remember the Donegal Democrat gave The Dark Knight 4 stars out of 5 citing lack of comedy as a flaw.
    I remember that comic. Had it as a kid. I was probably 8 :pac: Very good stuff, but I was mostly in it for the robot drawings. The mother****er had a chainsaw arm for gods sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I can see totalrecallocop happening here. With that Jessica Biel as the voice of robo's internal computer processor thing. Ala Halo. Ed209 being voiced by Samuel l Jackson shouting "you mother....img snakes have twenty seconds to comply b.tch". Cue over done CGI of robo s robotic helmet showing an uncomfortale grimace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cursai wrote: »
    Oh dear God let that whole article be a really bad joke please, that just sounds terrible beyond belief.

Makes sense though. Street crime isn't nearly at the levels in the US it was in the late 80s and 90s, and terrorism is still very much something people are afraid of (like the crime scares, very much because of the media).

• Advertisement

That focus group thing sounds disgraceful, and as for the suit transforming, first thing that came to mind was the Iron Man suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was only watching the original last night.
    Theyre gonna remove the footstep noise arent they :(
    I love when he 1st turns up at the police station and you just hear the "thump*thump*thump* followed by the drunk guy "What is this sh!t?....." :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes sense though. Street crime isn't nearly at the levels in the US it was in the late 80s and 90s, and terrorism is still very much something people are afraid of (like the crime scares, very much because of the media).

Fine, but then don't call the film 'Robocop', kinda flies in the face of the concept if he's just an IronMan knockoff, duffing up terrorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds fine to me, or at least as fine as something taken out of context from an early draft of the script is going to sound. I think a lot of people just want a shot-for-shot remake of the original. I'd rather they weren't making this film at all, but if it's going to happen, I'd prefer they do it differently.

Sounds fine to me, or at least as fine as something taken out of context from an early draft of the script is going to sound. I think a lot of people just want a shot-for-shot remake of the original. I'd rather they weren't making this film at all, but if it's going to happen, I'd prefer they do it differently.

Same here, but in that case there's no need for those focus group scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can see this being the next Robocop 3. They'll probably give him a jetpack and everything.

I'm hoping the transforming nonsense will be limited to Robo having built in weapons. Not having high hopes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That IGN link doesn't have all the info. This has more - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=65577
    Okay... the two "best" lines in the script. First up is at the unveiling ceremony for Robocop in Detroit, from a TV reporter covering it. "I think it's safe to say that Alex Murphy is now part man, part machine, ALL COP!"

It sounds like everyone knows that Robocop is Alex Murphy, and that he's now a superhero type character as opposed to the secretive Frankenstein's monster of the original.

What is this sh*t :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So Robocop in the new movie will look human one second then "transform" into more robot looking? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

So more like Inspector Gadget than Robocop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So Robocop in the new movie will look human one second then "transform" into more robot looking? :confused:
    Extremis before Iron Man 3 is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That IGN link doesn't have all the info. This has more - http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=65577

It sounds like everyone knows that Robocop is Alex Murphy, and that he's now a superhero type character as opposed to the secretive Frankenstein's monster of the original.

What is this sh*t :pac:

they were talking about this sort of stuff on the slashfilm podcast review of Total Recall, needless nods to the originals, that only serve to point out how much better the originals were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Why would he have anything that looks like a pair of y-fronts? He's a robot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why would he have anything that looks like a pair of y-fronts? He's a robot!

Cyborg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That pic was posted before, it's a fake. I think the suit is supposed to be something closer to a Crysis suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Why are they remaking Robocop or Total Recall.
    They were both near perfect action movies.
    Judge Dredd looks promising though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Judge Dredd looks promising though.

yeah but its still going to be hard to differentiate it from The Raid though

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skerries wrote: »

Ah I'd say it'll be pretty easy. There's no martial arts(or very little), lots more blood by the looks of it, a dystopian future and the main character is Judge Freakin Dredd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

At least the word about Judge Dredd is that it's quite good and anything besides Stallone's effort would be an improvement.

I think Robocop could be handled quite good if they just stay away from linking or nodding towards the 1st film.

Let's face it, all the following movies and TV stuff were horrendous. (Effects in Robocop 2 were brilliant, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Skerries wrote: »

Ah not this ****e again! The only similarity between the JD reboot and the Raid is the setting (most of the action takes place in a single tower block). Considering the Judge Dredd film was originally scheduled to be released before "The Raid" the whole argument is a bit of a non-runner. Ok, The Raid got there first but had limited exposure at the box office ($4million USD) whilst the pre-sales for JD 3D have hit $20million in the US already (source: this months Total Film magazine). Also, one is based on a hard assed classic comic book character, the other is a martial arts/action/cops'n'robbers flick.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm having serious doubts about the Robocop reboot (based on some of the leaked storyline previews and what has been posted here). Also, the lacklustre reception for the Total Recall remake just adds to the argument that these movies should be left alone (there's supposed to be a Starship Troopers reboot/remake in the works as well). That'll definitely complete the hat-trick of ****ting all over Paul Verhovens standout Sci-Fi trio:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

CAsper Van Diem and Neil Patrik Harris just voiced an animated Starship Troopers flick; why the hell could they not just use the original cast in a sequal. Especially as Maurader was actually quite good (regardless of the lacklustre Maurader CGI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That can't be true.

Sounds absolutely terrible.

phil1nj wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic. I'm having serious doubts about the Robocop reboot (based on some of the leaked storyline previews and what has been posted here). Also, the lacklustre reception for the Total Recall remake just adds to the argument that these movies should be left alone (there's supposed to be a Starship Troopers reboot/remake in the works as well). That'll definitely complete the hat-trick of ****ting all over Paul Verhovens standout Sci-Fi trio:mad:

tbh Paul Verhoeven shat all over Heinlein's Hugo award winning masterpiece first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Goldstein wrote: »
    tbh Paul Verhoeven shat all over Heinlein's Hugo award winning masterpiece first.

I've read the book and seen the (loosely based on the book) movie and to be honest apart from the title, there's very little in common between source material and film (planet names and bugs aside). Having said that, when taken on its own merits, the movie is an enjoyable piece of OTT sci-fi fluff that does not need a remake.

phil1nj wrote: »
    I've read the book and seen the (loosely based on the book) movie and to be honest apart from the title, there's very little in common between source material and film (planet names and bugs aside). Having said that, when taken on its own merits, the movie is an enjoyable piece of OTT sci-fi fluff that does not need a remake.

Ya, I totally agree with all that. All I'm saying is seeing as the studios are obsessed with remaking films instead of focusing on the thousands of A-grade original novels out there from the last 60/70 years, they could do a lot worse than "re-imagine" something like Starship Troopers considering how divergent and opposite Verhoeven's movie was from the original source material. Ender's Game is a lost cause at this stage and my previously high confidence in Robocop is a little shaken (but no matter what the signs I still don't believe someone of Padilha's quality and talent will produce a bad film) so it'd be nice to have something worthy and credible in big screen proper sci-fi to look forward to besides Elysium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Things appear to be going from bad to worse according to this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Padilha is too good to be making this crap. Another talented filmmaker broken by the Hollywood studio system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

This is going to be a disaster!!
    Jose Padilha's RoboCop remake had seemingly been progressing ultra-smoothly, with one big-name star after another queuing up to join the production. However, according to the director's friend, Fernando Meirelles, things have not been so peachy behind the scenes.

"I talked to José Padilha last week by phone," said Meirelles in an interview with Cinemacom Rapadura. "He will begin filming RoboCop [but] he is saying that it is the worst experience. For every ten ideas he has, nine are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight [for]."

"‘This is hell here,’ he told me," says Meirelles. "‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but he’s a fighter."

None of which sounds terribly promising for a film we had been harbouring fairly high hopes for, not least because of its impressive ensemble cast which includes Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Jay Baruchel and Michael K. Williams.

Obviously we've got to take into account the 'Chinese whispers' element of the report (Meirelles' comments have been translated into English), and will hold back on too much speculation until we get a statement direct from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bad Panda wrote: »
    This is going to be a disaster!!
    Sure if nothing else, there'll be an awesome documentary made about how difficult it was to make.

And I hear Michael Keaton is in line to be the villain now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah looks like Micheal Keaton has replaced Hugh Laurie as the CEO of Omnicorp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

faceman wrote: »

Good choice, good to see Keaton back in a big budget movie, a very underrated actor IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

faceman wrote: »

I hope they work some TLC lyrics into his dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1st set pics up
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

I dont like the suit :(

WTF? I thought that pic of the suit that showed up a while back was fake but it looks like they've actually gone with it?

robocopsetsmall1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement