Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Photos please! :D:D:D ...
    I went back out and took some photos with the wifes camera trying to set a link up at the moment but not having not having much luck doing so sorry :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=12250

This was the view of the clouds over N NW Dublin at about 1300hrs. Taken from Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

closest to snow many of us will get tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

6034073Passing Clouds that I think may have given some hail or thunder further up the country.
    196810.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

yeah, saw many decent looking dark clouds yesterday, all that came were showers :mad: no hail, no thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    yeah, saw many decent looking dark clouds yesterday, all that came were showers :mad: no hail, no thunder

No, not for us, but I bet there was some activity out of these further up the country. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres mine taken from work yesterday.... wish i had the day off , i keep thinking i could of gotten a brilliant timelapse!! :(

Anyways...

428314_10150749814136718_631736717_12073873_1856617934_n.jpg

427087_10150749817646718_631736717_12073889_589154817_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I was playing golf during that thunderstorm yesterday and the first bang scared the *$%"£ out of me!!! Some nice lightning too from my viewpoint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What are those weird horizontal lights in the sky in the first pic?

Was there alien activity around the time of the storm? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Wild Bill wrote: »

Think they are the reflection in the window of the interior lights.

Dublin city centre was nice and warm today. Cool breeze died down and it got nice and warm in the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Was there alien activity around the time of the storm? :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, that's what it is. Did you not hear?

Nabber wrote: »
    Think they are the reflection in the window of the interior lights.

Who'd have thunk it? :rolleyes:

THe Next potential for any sort of thundery setup looks to be thursday. Shall post charts later if they are still appearing ok on later runs. :-)

Any chance of some action on the East coast?

Surely it can miss me again :rolleyes:

Any chance of some action on the East coast?

Surely it can miss me again :rolleyes:

Ah cant be certain were anything is gonna be this far out... itll be changing about a few times i'd imagine... hopefully get some decent upgrades too.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thursday's chart would be classic set up for powerful evening home-growns to develop if it were sometime between May & September:

197003.png

but should bring a nice summery feel to the weather regardless with that eternally damp, rank Atlantic influence cut off for a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Indeed Deep Easterly . We rarely seem to get these setups in late spring/summer anymore. May 2008 is the only half decent one I can remember in recent times.

traecy1 wrote: »
    Indeed Deep Easterly . We rarely seem to get these setups in late spring/summer anymore. May 2008 is the only half decent one I can remember in recent times.

What gave us the brilliant April last year?

I can't remember off-hand what last April was like but May 08 was a true gem of a month. Very sunny and warm and quite thundery esp late in the month. The storm on the 31st was oddly unnerving with thunderclaps so frequent that they blended into just one huge omnipotent roar! :) I agree with Tracy that it was last time we had a half decent summery spell, on this side of the rock at least :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Yes, last April was good but May 2008 had some excellent thundery downpours which were lacking last year. In fact the Atlantic barely troubled us during that entire month, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

Warmest April on record at most stations; sunny and drier than normal almost everywhere

- according to my memory and Met Eireann. ;)

- according to my memory and Met Eireann. ;)

Also from met eireann:
    The Weather of May 2008
    Warmest May on record in most places; dry and sunny almost everyhwere
    Thunder was frequent, particularly over the western half of the country; it was most widespread on the 1st, 8th and in the periods 10th to 12th, 22nd to 23rd and 30th to 31st.

One warmest May on record is worth 100 warmest Aprils on record! ;):p

Also from met eireann:

I thought this story was from 2008 but it was actually 2010 in Galway.

Mother and son in miraculous escape after lightning strike

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
    A WOMAN and her son had a miraculous escape when lightning struck their house, blowing a hole in the roof and smashing through the mother’s bedroom ceiling........

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mother-and-son-in-miraculous-escape-after-lightning-strike-121351.html#ixzz1phEx2FdB

Also from met eireann:

I'll get back to you on that! My memory tells me April was much sunnier.
    I could be wrong, but seriously, what are the odds? :D

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
    A WOMAN and her son had a miraculous escape when lightning struck their house, blowing a hole in the roof and smashing through the mother’s bedroom ceiling........

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mother-and-son-in-miraculous-escape-after-lightning-strike-121351.html#ixzz1phEx2FdB

They had a lucky escape :). Locally speaking, the Athenry area seems to get its fair share of storms, at least it seems that way from here. :o
    I'll get back to you on that! My memory tells me April was much sunnier.
    I could be wrong, but seriously, what are the odds?

from met.ie (sunshine totals)
    April 2011: Highest monthly total: 208 hours at Casement Aerodrome
    May 2008: Highest monthly total: 265 hours at Malin Head (its sunniest May since 2000)

For Malin Head to get 265 sunshine hours in a month surely must have taken something special :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

They had a lucky escape :). Locally speaking, the Athenry area seems to get its fair share of storms, at least it seems that way from here. :o
    Remember that evening . Big downpour and electricity went for a while

from met.ie (sunshine totals)
    April 2011: Highest monthly total: 208 hours at Casement Aerodrome
    May 2008: Highest monthly total: 265 hours at Malin Head (its sunniest May since 2000)

For Malin Head to get 265 sunshine hours in a month surely must have taken something special :D

I would say the Tuam area gets more than its fair share of storms :)
    Grass is always greener etc.

My bad Deep East - I thought you were talking about May last year :o

Those lazy hazy days of last April have been unmatched since.....

IMG_4318-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The last big thunderstorms around here were in June 2009, I managed to unknowingly miss a massive one by a matter of miles one day. I was less than 10 miles away yet we had mostly blue skies without a drop of rain all day where I was. Couldn't believe it when I saw this on the news!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/horror-storms-flood-west-donegal-14359110.html

As for May 08 vs. April 11, last April was probably the driest and sunniest month in recent memory for me, can't remember anything stand out about May in 2008 but it'll generally have more sunshine hours by default so a direct comparison seems a bit unfair, it barely rained all month around here in April but then it lead to what was described as the worst wildfires in living memory so it became quite surreal with army personnel everywhere and fire-fighting helicopters constantly passing overhead. Certainly not something I'd want to see again

As for thunderstorms, bring them on! Nothing too exciting on the horizon at the moment but if we got the coming week's synoptic's in a few months time then there'd be plenty of fun, plenty of hope for now

Sat animation of western Europe today (may take a couple of minutes to load fully)

an_2.gif
    From meteogalica

Some active weather in parts of western France today with the development of a frontal trough which is now weakening and a'headin' for Ireland. The set up is not overly dissimilar to that which brought ferocious summer storms of July 1985 and June 1986 with thundery troughs spilling up from Biscay & France during both episodes. Why OH why can we not get set ups like this during the summer season anymore? :(

• Advertisement

Sat animation of western Europe today (may take a couple of minutes to load fully)

an_2.gif
    From meteogalica

Some active weather in parts of western France today with the development of a frontal trough which is now weakening and a'headin' for Ireland. The set up is not overly dissimilar to that which brought ferocious summer storms of July 1985 and June 1986 with thundery troughs spilling up from Biscay & France during both episodes. Why OH why can we not get set ups like this during the summer season anymore? :(

I was only thinking that there earlier when i was checking sat24 for any clear sky potential... looked quite active indeed for this time of year...
    Not enough energy though for thundery activity though, cloud tops just didnt rise enough ...

I was only thinking that there earlier when i was checking sat24 for any clear sky potential... looked quite active indeed for this time of year...
    Not enough energy though for thundery activity though, cloud tops just didnt rise enough ...

Yep, the 18z analysis did have some minor activity off the coast of Brittany earlier today but not much:

197183.png
    from yr.no

If this was June, July or August we would be in meltdown now and up all night watching dense sferic streams heading up towards Ireland from the south and southeast. :D, but since it is only March we might get a bit of drizzle with the odd heavy burst. Will be interesting to see if there is any atmospheric haze ahead of that approaching trough tomorrow. Often a good sign of thunder in the summer. :)

Yep, the 18z analysis did have some minor activity off the coast of Brittany earlier today but not much:

197183.png
    from yr.no

If this was June, July or August we would be in meltdown now and up all night watching dense sferic streams heading up towards Ireland from the south and southeast. :D, but since it is only March we might get a bit of drizzle with the odd heavy burst. Will be interesting to see if there is any atmospheric haze ahead of that approaching trough tomorrow. Often a good sign of thunder in the summer. :)

Stop putting dreams in our heads!!! haha.... wait a second.. im off to The Plains in just over 2 months!>..... hehehehehe! :D;):p

Stop putting dreams in our heads!!! haha.... wait a second.. im off to The Plains in just over 2 months!>..... hehehehehe! :D;):p

"YOU ARE APPROACHING A TWISTING STORM"

One thing you'll never hear on a sat nav here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I found the, The synoptic setting of thunderstorms in
    western Europe file a very interesting read and thunder heads will appreciate it.

The synoptic setting of thunderstorms in
    western Europe

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~delde102/Syn.Set.Thunderstorms.pdf

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/July1985_Thunderstorm.PDF

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Estofex is giving us a chance of thunderstorms for today.

Strong QG forcing can be expected with the cut-off low moving northwards today. Moist maritime air that will spread into Ireland may destabilize in response to the lift, and showers and thunderstorms may develop during the period. Weak vertical wind shear near the trough's center will limit the severe potential.

"YOU ARE APPROACHING A TWISTING STORM"

One thing you'll never hear on a sat nav here!

AWh i miss that warning! ha , we got it many of times over in the states! ha :D
    redsunset wrote: »
    I found the, The synoptic setting of thunderstorms in
    western Europe file a very interesting read and thunder heads will appreciate it.

The synoptic setting of thunderstorms in
    western Europe

http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~delde102/Syn.Set.Thunderstorms.pdf

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/July1985_Thunderstorm.PDF

COol , ill shall have a nice read of that later .
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see Estofex is giving us a chance of thunderstorms for today.

Strong QG forcing can be expected with the cut-off low moving northwards today. Moist maritime air that will spread into Ireland may destabilize in response to the lift, and showers and thunderstorms may develop during the period. Weak vertical wind shear near the trough's center will limit the severe potential.

Yeah i think this is what the models where looking at from the other day, without even looking at any charts, just looking outside doesnt show a good sign, its overcast, so no land based heating like we had on Paddy's day.

This mornings Sounding from valentia...

valtef.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Dry in Arklow at the moment despite the radar returns nearby.
    The sky has a real Biscay look about it though.

blackius wrote: »
    Dry in Arklow at the moment despite the radar returns nearby.
    The sky has a real Biscay look about it though.

Yeah very hazy , hay fever already coming back too! :mad:

• Advertisement

Stlll clear here; bit hazy. Not much sign of anything bar maybe a ground frost by morning.

met.ie radar animation for St. Patrick's day last showing those heavy showers that occurred:

17th_March_2012__convective_showers.gif

I was thinking (or even pontificating) earlier on that maybe some sort of convergence line developed over the central part of the country as the northward movement of showers seemed to 'stall' before being pulled back southwards but I am just wondering if that really was the case? That shower line stalled over this region and gave about 9mm in the space of about 90 mins before it was pushed back again. I would say most regions in a line from N Galway to Dub had about the same more or less.

Any thoughts anyone as to wheather this was a an actual convergence zone of just a sort of 'drag' as the low moved into the Irish Sea? (I am not coming across well as totally plum-tuckered)

Well, there was only 2.0mm of rain here on the 17th, all between 11pm and midnight.

The showers seemed to rotate around a point right above us.

So as you may of noticed by Mt's update this morning,

The next chance of some thundery activity is Easter Monday on the frontal edge of the front heading south over the country.
    At the moment its only a slight risk id say for the North and East.

199281.png

199279.png

Will be interesting to watch this for potential upgrades... the gradient along the front edge tightening would lead to greater convective potential.

Thoughts anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've been watching it for the past few days but its been downgraded quite a bit, CAPE was being shown around 300-500 with a lifted index of -2 widespread across the northern half of the country a couple of days ago. Hopefully a few people might still get lucky

Cant say much, about to head to work , just waited to see the 6z run..

looks as if TUESDAY is now the day of interest? ... it could go 2 ways..
    long dull day with drizzle and heavy showers... or ... a bright day with some heavy and thundery showers :)

" HOW YOU DOOOIN? :cool::cool::cool: " ....
    199354.png

• Advertisement

Still looking quite interesting for 2moro afternoon :)

SHould get a few heavy showers with some hail and the bit of thunder in the stronger cells as the sun heats up the land in the afternoon .. with showers popping up in the midlands and moving slowly east.

Cape between 250 - 300
    Upper air temps (500hp ) @ about -30
    Lifted index of -1,-2 broadly
    Light westerly breeze means the cells will be slow moving and can organise better .
    :D

199664.png

Anyone else care to give their thoughts?.... :)

A few strikes in the south east today, http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

The sky was amazing with all those heavy showers as i drove from east to west today.

Maybe tomorrow will yield more.

Skew-T chart for Dublin 3pm tomorrow :)

Dew point 4.4 C
    Cape 370 j
    Lifted Index -1

199737.png

Skew-T chart for Dublin 3pm tomorrow :)

Dew point 4.4 C
    Cape 370 j
    Lifted Index -1

199737.png

All i understood was the smiley, must be promising for thunderstorms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

April will generate some of its famous showers tomorrow again. With equilibrium temperature near -45 °C many of them will be thundery by around noon onwards, continuing on in the eastern half of the country into the evening as the coldest upper pool continues eastwards. Watch for some short sharp rain and hail downpours moving eastwards, forming linear systems as they do so under 20-30 m/s deep layer shear. Could be some temporary driving difficulties in some areas so take care.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement