Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

toadfly wrote: »
    Are yours pet related SMX? I've been thinking of getting a small one, maybe a pawprint but unsure what to get. Also afraid of pain which doesn't help!

2 of the 6 I have are related to my pets, one is of a cat sitting on the moon which was for an old cat I had, and I have 6 paw prints going down my spine, 2 for each of my current kitties! The rest were ones I just liked and the most recent is a tribute to a relative who passed away.
    Honestly the pain isn't that bad depending on the area, generally the more flesh in an area, the lesser the pain so the one on my foot was quite painful yet the one on my thigh which was a lot bigger and took a lot longer I hardly felt a thing!

I've been thinking about getting a tiny pawprint behind my ear for a long time. The only thing putting me off is in case I ever have to tie my hair up for work and they would think it inappropriate.

Might be no harm in asking in work if they'd mind it, some places wouldn't! Or you could always get it someplace easier to hide. No one knows I've tattoos unless I show them and some of mine are quite big!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv one on the back of my shoulder, I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt but it was a sort of sharp vibration, I'm quite a wuss but found it very bearable. I'd love another but I can't settle on what to get, I'd love a tribute to bunty in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I would love one of the dogs actual pawprints, must get one of Ozzies mucky print and see how big it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was going to have a very big Cheshire Cat tattooed under my armpit to cover massive surgical scar tissue but then another area flared up so no tattoo for me.:( On the plus side, it was going to cost around 300 quid and take up to 4 hours, so I don't think Mr Pumpkinseeds is too disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had light rain pretty much all day yesterday and cats were all in energy saving mode around the house, except Ruby, who wailed at me for 5 or 10 minutes at a time about every hour.

No amount of hugs and cuddles would stop it, she continued grumbling even while purring in our arms.

Didn't help that I ran out of dry food, so of course they all wanted it, ignoring the extra helpings of the wet food they normally love.
    I got a small box of go cat to tide them over until I can get to a place that sells good quality food, and today is sunny again so I have peace this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Bluetits are moving into my nestbox!

Live camera / sound here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

I hate that all the best photo ops happen when I don't have a camera with me. Poppy was under the duvet cover peeking out at me when I was changing the bedlinen last night. It looked like she was wearing a cloak, but of course I'd left my phone downstairs.

Anyone any advice for getting tablets into a very strong, large and REALLY angry cat?

Toby had a fight about 6 weeks ago, bite marks in his neck, which turned to an abscess, cleaned it up daily with salt water (as much as I could, he wasn't happy) but after a week it was back so had to go to vet and get antibiotics. Only got half the tablets into him, was nearly disembowelled, both arms were shredded and he tried to bite my face, still growls if I look at him 2 weeks later, and I think it's filling with pus again :(
    Just tried to look at it while giving him a worm tablet, thought I felt a pocket again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Wrap him in a towel and shove the tablet into this gob in a lump of butter?

• Advertisement

Could the vet not give him an antibiotic injection? We do that with our Toby as he's impossible to get tablets into. Maybe get some Parazole worming liquid to add to his food instead of the worm tablet. We were using Broadline flea/wormer but my cats had worrying responses to it at the weekend and we won't be buying it again.

I was using a towel and two people, one holding him one dosing, never under estimate how strong and viscious an angry and stressed cat can be!

He got anti biotic injection and 5 days tablets to follow up, only got 3 into him, and my wounds are just healing.
    Hes actually a nice friendly cat most of the time, but was clearly treated badly before we got him and hates being held on too.

I was playing with Felix in the hall and he was doing the bum wiggling to make me throw something for him to maul, so I threw his catnip banana to him and accidentally hit him on the head with it. He didn't seem bothered though.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Bluetits are moving into my nestbox!

Live camera / sound here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

Camera upgrade tonight should be much better view now, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive turned in to a CAT slave :eek: came home after being out for a few hours, and decided that Tux needed some tinned Tuna!! Ignored the poor dog sitting looking up in my face with his "wheres mine" pitiful stare... Tux has me hypnotized!! Ive never opened a tin of "human" food for any of the dogs - ever! (Gave the dog a boring old doggie biscuit by the way)

aonb wrote: »
    Ive turned in to a CAT slave :eek: came home after being out for a few hours, and decided that Tux needed some tinned Tuna!! Ignored the poor dog sitting looking up in my face with his "wheres mine" pitiful stare... Tux has me hypnotized!! Ive never opened a tin of "human" food for any of the dogs - ever! (Gave the dog a boring old doggie biscuit by the way)

That'll be Tux's mind control skills kicking in then. It's a slippery slope from here on in. Soon it'll be buying throws based on whether or not he'll like the texture, the list is endless, don't fight it, it's easier not to fight it.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just went to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich and when I came back I found my brother's dog had made a huge puddle on the new carpet in the sitting room. My mum is fuming at me for letting him in, better get scrubbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I just went to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich and when I came back I found my brother's dog had made a huge puddle on the new carpet in the sitting room. My mum is fuming at me for letting him in, better get scrubbing!

Lucy wee'd on the new carpet a couple of days after we got it...THEN a few weeks later Bailey had a "blow out" on it :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Driving home from work this evening and seen a couple walking a husky and a rottie. What caught my eye was the big happy head on the rottie carrying a blue teddy in his mouth :-)

WooHoo! Female finished building nest, and tonight is her first night staying over:D

Live camera feed here : http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mech11

• Advertisement

I've had my eye on a ball that was stuck up on a weir miles up the river. Sure enough the rain brought it down our end, went into the bushes to get it and my legs (i had cropped combats on) are stung to bits from nettles! I don't remember them being so sore as a kid lol!! ....Although my granddad had some magic spray he used to put on us when we were little and got stung! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm going to stop buying Elly any more wonderful dog toys and just buy her a pack of biros - what is the attraction:confused:

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I'm going to stop buying Elly any more wonderful dog toys and just buy her a pack of biros - what is the attraction:confused:

Like Lucy and my mums socks!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm taking my poor cat to the vet on Saturday and I'm worried the vet will think I'm a terrible owner. :(

He's been stressed about something and is licking his fur out and looks like a mangey toilet brush.

I just want to make sure he's all fine and that it is all in his head but I have visions of large people in uniforms taking him away and clamping me in irons.

</whinge>

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'm taking my poor cat to the vet on Saturday and I'm worried the vet will think I'm a terrible owner. :(

He's been stressed about something and is licking his fur out and looks like a mangey toilet brush.

I just want to make sure he's all fine and that it is all in his head but I have visions of large people in uniforms taking him away and clamping me in irons.

</whinge>

Poor puss cat. One of ours does the same thing, not to the same extent but enough to have the odd little bald spot. It's scary at times finding lots of tufts of fur around the house that she's pulled out of herself and frustrating not to be able to stop her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

reallyrose wrote: »

I had to drop my dog at the vet's at 8:30am because he went into the kitchen (where we've trained him not to go), jumped up to the counter, pulled down a chocolate cake wrapped in tinfoil and ate the entire thing. I was fully expecting them to berate me for even *thinking* about having chocolate anywhere near a dog. They've been lovely though. I get to take him home in a few hours :)

I was carrying Dude earlier on to bring him out to the utility to eat, and while doing so I banged my elbow off the door handle. The noise obviously disturbed him too much because he absolutely mauled my other arm, I was pumping bleeding from him and all the little scratches are bruised :( I feel so stupid, it wasn't his fault at all as he was frightened but I started bawling crying from the shock of it! He used to be such a bomb proof cat, you could drop a saucepan beside him and he wouldn't flinch, but since his accident he skits at every little noise, it's not the first time he's done it to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Vogue is always the one to catch mice, rats, birds etc so this evening when I went out she was standing over a brown bundle which I thought was a rat so I went over to take it away and it turned out to be a baby wild rabbit! I went back in and brought vogue with me, grabbed a tea towel and went back out and picked him up with the towel, I checked him all over and he didn't seem to be bleeding anywhere. He was almost the entire size of my hand so I thought he would have a better chance surviving being re-realised back into the field, as soon as I hid him in the long grass he took off running so fingers crossed the little guy will be ok. Definitely the cutest little thing I've ever seen :)

Jake is running around like a kitten the last few days! (Well a very sleepy, slightly arthritic kitten)
    He plays with Arabella, jumped on Tiffi to play this morning, poor dog was a little shocked at first, has been bossing Toby around (slapping the head off him if he dares sit in jakes spots, where he usually just goes off sadly to another spot) and generally running around much more.

Must be spring air getting to him!

Only a month ago he was on his third dose of antibiotics to try and shift a respiratory infection, we were worried he wouldn't last much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Poor puss cat. One of ours does the same thing, not to the same extent but enough to have the odd little bald spot. It's scary at times finding lots of tufts of fur around the house that she's pulled out of herself and frustrating not to be able to stop her.

Can you do anything to discourage them from doing it? I'm loathe to make the "stop doing that/jumping on the counter/eating what you found under the couch" hissy noise - I don't want him to think cleaning himself is Naughty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement