Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rachael.Zayne

Just found this in my emails. I almost deleted it:
    "Thank you for your continued interest in teaching with the International Schools of Choueifat UAE, Oman, Qatar & Bahrain. We are now sending you an offer for an Infants/Primary teaching position, based in our school in Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates, for the academic year 2015 – 2016".

Looks like I will be there this august so if anyone has life/ school tips about Ras Al Khaimah I would very much appreciate it :O

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

"Thank you for your continued interest in teaching with the International Schools of Choueifat UAE, Oman, Qatar & Bahrain. We are now sending you an offer for an Infants/Primary teaching position, based in our school in Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates, for the academic year 2015 – 2016".

Looks like I will be there this august so if anyone has life/ school tips about Ras Al Khaimah I would very much appreciate it :O

Congrats I am hoping for the same infants in the UAE. I have interview Wednesday. Fingers crossed. Will keep ye updated 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Congratulations :) that's so exciting! I hope I get a similar email soon :)

Congratulations :) that's so exciting! I hope I get a similar email soon :)

Hi guys had the interview this morning. Was just a general chat. Asking about my experience. They said they will be conducting the face to face interviews in mid march and my application will be forwarded for the interviews. Hope ye get word soon 😊

Hi guys had the interview this morning. Was just a general chat. Asking about my experience. They said they will be conducting the face to face interviews in mid march and my application will be forwarded for the interviews. Hope ye get word soon 😊

Thanks for the update Loretta! They're not really giving much notice for the face to face are they!? Well good luck and hopefully We will all hear soon ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MissSilly

Do SABIS deal with secondary schools too?
    I would like to go to the UAE to teach but would love to teach in my subject area and not in a primary school.

Thanks for the update Loretta! They're not really giving much notice for the face to face are they!? Well good luck and hopefully We will all hear soon ðŸ˜

No not really to be honest. They just really asked me a few questions about my experience and was it KG I wanted.I wouldn't worry I am sure they will be in contact soon about the face to face interviews. Good luck too. Where are you hoping to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Niamh Kenny

Hi, I will have a B.A in English in May and I was thinking about doing a TEFL course and going over to Dubai to teach in a Sabis or Choufait school as I know that I am not a fully qualified teacher these are my only options. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to go about finding a job in Dubai? I have no idea how to go about this and would really appreciate any advise.

Thanks
    Niamh

No not really to be honest. They just really asked me a few questions about my experience and was it KG I wanted. That's it really was only a couple of mins so I wouldn't worry I am sure they will be in contact soon about the face to face interviews. Good luck too. Where are you hoping to go to?

Yeah hopefully, I don't want to be hit with having to book a last min expensive flight to London or Dublin! I'm hoping to go to Dubai, I know a lot of people say first year teachers don't get it but I'm looking at this as more of a long term thing so want to be somewhere I know I'd like. If probably accept Abu Dhabi too if offered! Where are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Hi, I will have a B.A in English in May and I was thinking about doing a TEFL course and going over to Dubai to teach in a Sabis or Choufait school as I know that I am not a fully qualified teacher these are my only options. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to go about finding a job in Dubai? I have no idea how to go about this and would really appreciate any advise.

Thanks
    Niamh

You don't need TEFL to work for Sabis, you only need a degree. Apply now, they recruit all year around.
    Yeah hopefully, I don't want to be hit with having to book a last min expensive flight to London or Dublin! I'm hoping to go to Dubai, I know a lot of people say first year teachers don't get it but I'm looking at this as more of a long term thing so want to be somewhere I know I'd like. If probably accept Abu Dhabi too if offered! Where are you hoping for?

I'd just advise you not to get your hopes up, a lot of people transfer from the more rural schools to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Experienced people within SABIS will more than likely get first preference, their transfer requests went in weeks ago. Are you hoping to teach infants? If so, it's very unlikely you'll get Dubai.

Oh and a word of warning, Sabis are very relaxed about getting back to you on things. It's frustrating but that's the way of life over here. Most people will get a face to face interview, you just have to be patient. I think I only got a few days warning about it myself!

• Advertisement

You don't need TEFL to work for Sabis, you only need a degree. Apply now, they recruit all year around.

I'd just advise you not to get your hopes up, a lot of people transfer from the more rural schools to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Experienced people within SABIS will more than likely get first preference, their transfer requests went in weeks ago. Are you hoping to teach infants? If so, it's very unlikely you'll get Dubai.

Oh and a word of warning, Sabis are very relaxed about getting back to you on things. It's frustrating but that's the way of life over here. Most people will get a face to face interview, you just have to be patient. I think I only got a few days warning about it myself!

Ah man that's pretty annoying since I'd need to get a flight to the location! Ah well, hopefully they will get in touch soon :) yeah I've let them know i'd only be willing to go to these places so I'm guessing they will only offer me something if they had it there. I'm not bothered which grade I teach, in fact I'd prefer older then younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

in fact I'd prefer older then younger.

Older grades are given to dedicated Sabis employees, since there's less discipline issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Great information in here so thanks to everyone who's replied so far! Is this the website that everyone has applied through - https://www.sabiscareers.com or is there a direct application link? Do you need to register and apply to specific jobs to be considered or does registering automatically mean you're considered for all jobs?

Thank you so much for all of you help, if I did do a TEFL course would it benefit me more for job opportunities over there?

Also is it hard to get job that are actually in Dubai? I have family over there and would like to get something there. Thanks

Thank you so much for all of you help, if I did do a TEFL course would it benefit me more for job opportunities over there?

Also is it hard to get job that is actually in Dubai? I have family over there and would like to get something there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

scdublin wrote: »
    Great information in here so thanks to everyone who's replied so far! Is this the website that everyone has applied through - https://www.sabiscareers.com or is there a direct application link? Do you need to register and apply to specific jobs to be considered or does registering automatically mean you're considered for all jobs?

Also to add to these questions - are you given much of a choice as to where you'd be based? I see a lot of people saying not to expect Dubai straight away etc but can you make it known that you have 3 or so preferred locations?

HI ya same here I am looking for anywhere in the UAE. Fingers crossed 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Just submitted my application eeeeek!!

MissSilly wrote: »
    Do SABIS deal with secondary schools too?
    I would like to go to the UAE to teach but would love to teach in my subject area and not in a primary school.

I think you can because on the application form you select your preference kindergarten primary or secondary

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Yeah you can, it's a bit harder though. You might have to "ease in" with younger grades.

• Advertisement

In my experience, people who get jobs with the older grades are ones who have degrees relevant to what they want to teach, so you'd need an English degree if you wanted to teach English to the higher grades.
    They recruit specifically for higher grades so if you're offered a job, you will know what you're teaching and where. One of the maths teachers I know who teaches grade 11 and 12 had to do some tests before they got the job.

Have never heard of people moving up grades, generally SABIS like to keep you in the grades you're experienced in because they think they'll get better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Just received an email to say i have my face-to-face interview on Tues in Dublin with Sean Cooney.

Anyone else receive this email?

Clodagh91 wrote: »
    Just received an email to say i have my face-to-face interview on Tues in Dublin with Sean Cooney.

Anyone else receive this email?

No! But congrats! I did get an email from them today, in response to what I sent them yesterday saying that they will get in touch very soon! Good luck and let us know how you get on 😊

Thanks!! Nervous now because I actually wasn't expecting a face-to-face since other people just had another Skype interview.

within the email i got three attachments, the contract, details of the interview and an addendum to the contract to say that i am completely flexible to teach whatever class...which is a bit worrying because i do not want to teach infants!! is also says this is only an option if you're female.

Anyway we'll see how it goes, will keep you updated, if anyone else has their interview on Tues let me know!

Clodagh91 wrote: »
    Thanks!! Nervous now because I actually wasn't expecting a face-to-face since other people just had another Skype interview.

within the email i got three attachments, the contract, details of the interview and an addendum to the contract to say that i am completely flexible to teach whatever class...which is a bit worrying because i do not want to teach infants!! is also says this is only an option if you're female.

Anyway we'll see how it goes, will keep you updated, if anyone else has their interview on Tues let me know!

Oh right, so I'm guessing they are going to offer you a position as they have sent a contract - not much notice hey!? I'm studying in Scotland at the moment so maybe they are doing london interviews at another point, or maybe another skype one...which might be nice as I'm poor and last min flights are a killer on the bank! Good luck and definitely let us know how you get on :)

Congrats, if you have a face to face, you'll be offered a job :) don't be nervous about that interview, it's more of an informal chat and a great opportunity to ask questions if you have any. Mine lasted about 10 minutes and 2 other people were interviewed the same time as me.

Good luck Clodagh :) I only sent my application off last week and got an email back from HR that they will keep me posted..

a question for anyone teaching already with SABIS, would you pick kindergarten or primary? I don't think I'd mind which but maybe there's more discipline issues with the kindergarten kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cathy003

Congrats Clodagh :) I got the same email today telling me i have a face to face interview on Tuesday!

I hope everyone hears soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

How long ago did u do your other interview and send off your documents? They had all my stuff about 2 weeks ago. My next interview would be on Skype since I'm working in the states atm And I'm dying to hear back from them!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, we'll see how it goes anyway. I'm sure everyone else will hear back soon enough. If I get offered a position, the location will be massive factor in deciding whether or not to take the job. Does anyone else feel like this? Also I'm going over completely solo, hope other people are in similar positions to me!

I had my Skype interview early January and sent off all my documents and completed application mid feb.

Advertisement