Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,027 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hasn't been much news about this lately, bar confirmation of Liam Neesons return :D

BatmanBubbleGirl-1.png
    And see, that suit is bitchin. Way more agile looking. Yes I'm aware usually batman has been portrayed as a big hulking figure (typical of the American style of comics) but I really prefer the direction it's gone in, it just seems more sensible to me for a guy who gets into hands on fights and is rappelling around rooftops. And yes he just looked 'roided up and unrealistic. Like they pointed out rather pointedly at the start of TDK the BB suit lent itself to being fairly rigid and unworkable. The suit just looks more cemented in reality: replace the bat trimmings with black ops equipment and you're looking at body armor you'd expect soldiers to be wearing in 10 years time on a daily basis.

gfdfgf.jpg

As far as the cartoons and comics went, batman beyond took that a step further (making him look almost feral at times) and the newest cartoon by the looks of this, takes a more balanced approach.

batman-beyond-2343.jpg
    batman_021.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I just think they look to chunky and heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going to go ahead and presume this scene Oldman speaks of involves the snippet from the trailer where we see/hear Alfred talking of how he'd failed Bruce's parents. That seemed quite a tearful emotional scene right there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i would not be surprised if Alfred was to fluff it in the new film, would add some emotional impact to bruce wayne if he dies at the hands of bane

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

ricero wrote: »
    i would not be surprised if Alfred was to fluff it in the new film, would add some emotional impact to bruce wayne if he dies at the hands of bane

Would that be canon? I mean what happens to alfred in the comiccs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

constantg wrote: »
    Would that be canon? I mean what happens to alfred in the comiccs?

He survived Bruce Wayne, and went on to lead/assemble a team of super heroes call The Outsiders.

Oh and how could I forget, he also help Dick Grayson when he became batman.

tumblr_l971lmFd2G1qdkj9bo1_500.jpg

So Killing Alfred would not be canon, but who cares, flip all is canon in the films, they can do what they want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think Alfred will die. That would just feel like a repeat of TDK with Bruce losing yet another loved one. I think it's more likely that Batman/Bruce himself will die, leaving Alfred behind to grieve him. Nolan is wrapping up the Batman mythos in this film, and given that he has tried to depict Batman as an existential hero, it would make sense for the final film to end with his death.

I think it's more likely that Batman/Bruce himself will die

I thought that was gonna happen in TDK when Batman and Harvey fell, and when it showed them lying there, for a second, I thought they are both dead. I thought that would have been a great end, and leave it at 2 films, Warner wouldn't like that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The studio wouldn't let batman die,

They want the happy ending of the hero saving the day, redeeming himself and riding off into the sunset knowing he's made a difference,

I would love it to happen but it would be too much a bold move for them to conceivably pull off.

It will go

1) Bane breaks the Bat
    2) Montage inter cut with Bane taking control of Gotham/Batman coming back
    3) Batman defeating Bane/League of Shadows closing the chapter and him going off with Selena Kyle

All movies follow the same formula.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nolan's last two films made almost 2 billion dollars worldwide. He pretty much has a blank cheque from Warner Bros, who announced their intention to reboot the franchise before TDKR even started shooting. They wouldn't have done this if they thought there was any hope of getting Nolan and Bale to return for another one. Make no mistake about it, if Nolan wants to kill Batman, the studio will let him.

And the hero can save the day, redeem himself and still die. For an example from Nolan's own filmography, see Insomnia.

And the hero can save the day, redeem himself and still die. For an example from Nolan's own filmography, see Insomnia.

/Strikes Insomnia off my To Watch Backlog :P

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Nolan's last two films made almost 2 billion dollars worldwide. He pretty much has a blank cheque from Warner Bros, who announced their intention to reboot the franchise before TDKR even started shooting. They wouldn't have done this if they thought there was any hope of getting Nolan and Bale to return for another one. Make no mistake about it, if Nolan wants to kill Batman, the studio will let him.

Thats right, Nolan has as much control as is possible for a director to have and it would work out well for the studio because killing Bale off as Batman would mean a fresh start for the next franchise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Paleface wrote: »

hey, ive actually come him at yonge/dundas. To make money, i saw him standing as a human statue just outside Eaton Centre, costume is pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well, that was intreresting. How did he actually do the accents so well to frighten off certain people as well as feeling sorry for the little girl near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

rofl. can you open this for me XD

by the way, any other new pictures/leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Didn't even click it's from the onion.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

allanb49 wrote: »
    Didn't even click it's from the onion.

its funny though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Mickeroo wrote: »
    its funny though....

nope, it's from the onion

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

al28283 wrote: »
    nope, it's from the onion

5qdl8.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Apparently the first cut is around 4 hours long http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=56703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Apparently the first cut is around 4 hours long http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=56703

It'll be dwindled down to 2 and half hours like the other 2 films. Majority of that stuff that hits the cutting room floor will be fluff, never to see the light of day since Nolan's movies never have any deleted scenes.

I think The Punisher with Tom Jane had a original cut of over 5 hours. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

TBH, with the amount of stuff this film is covering, it should be at least 3 hours long.

• Advertisement

If this is anywhere near the quality of TDK then I'll happily sit through 8 hours much less 4!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1, despite how long it was TDK flew by, and at the end I was a little sad that it was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Maybe there is someone thinking right now.....

4 hours = 2 films = 2 paydays. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FlashD wrote: »
    Maybe there is someone thinking right now.....

4 hours = 2 films = 2 paydays. :pac:

I hope not. They did that with Harry Potter and it ruined the film.
    If this is anywhere near the quality of TDK then I'll happily sit through 8 hours much less 4!

Me too!

It depends how rough this "rough cut" is, but given how tightly edited Nolan's other films are, 4 hours sounds about right to me. I'd say TDK was easily the same length in rough cut form. Most of what ends up on Nolan's cutting room floor is dead air between dialogue and characters entering and leaving a room. He rarely seems to cut whole scenes.

• Advertisement

It depends how rough this "rough cut" is, but given how tightly edited Nolan's other films are, 4 hours sounds about right to me. I'd say TDK was easily the same length in rough cut form. Most of what ends up on Nolan's cutting room floor is dead air between dialogue and characters entering and leaving a room. He rarely seems to cut whole scenes.

Actually Nolan only cut about 15 - 20 minutes of footage from TDK. Or at least a very small amount. It's unlikely to happen with this though. Although I wouldn't mind sitting in the cinema for 4 hours considering it's the end of a cultural phenomenon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seems they've given away a little spoiler on one of the new prints.

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/n/new-plot-synopsis-for-the-dark-knight-rises-98517-01-470-75.jpg
    Gordon poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

calm down Doctor, now's not the time for fear, that comes later.

Corholio wrote: »

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/n/new-plot-synopsis-for-the-dark-knight-rises-98517-01-470-75.jpg
    Gordon poster

Those posters have a very soviet propoganda feel to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

nice little spoiler put in to the poster i like it. i just cant wait to see this film would you say many cinemas will be doing midnight screenings ? cant wait to hear the music zimmer creates aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Actually Nolan only cut about 15 - 20 minutes of footage from TDK. Or at least a very small amount. It's unlikely to happen with this though. Although I wouldn't mind sitting in the cinema for 4 hours considering it's the end of a cultural phenomenon :(

There's absolutely no need for TDKR to be anywhere near a four hour movie. I'd be hugely surprised if it's over three hours, unless Nolan has completely lost the run of himself (doubtful) and is producing the cinematic equivalent of a double album.

MTV have withdrawn their suggestion that the rough cut is four hours long. It was a joke apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

MTV have withdrawn their suggestion that the rough cut is four hours long. It was a joke apparently.

I don't get it :confused:

I don't think anyone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Corholio wrote: »

Gordon poster

I like that line "I have your back". gonna be an epic scene.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I like that line "I have your back". gonna be an epic scene.

Maybe they team up :eek:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Despite Nolan bashing 3D on numerous occasions, Warners has announced they will be post-converting the film to 3D.

http://batman-news.com/2012/04/01/the-dark-knight-rises-to-be-post-converted-to-3d/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Despite Nolan bashing 3D on numerous occasions, Warners has announced they will be post-converting the film to 3D.

http://batman-news.com/2012/04/01/the-dark-knight-rises-to-be-post-converted-to-3d/
    April Fool's right? I mean parts of the US are only starting April 1st given the time difference, so I'm hoping that it's just a trick published to mark the occasion stateside.

If not, that sucks. DKR will make money regardless of what format it's released in, but studios will doubtless use its likely success as proof the market's still there for 3D...

Edit: why yes, when you read the article it is quite obvious :D

Aw, crap! I think you're right. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Lirpa Sloof

Hmmm. ;)

lol. I can't believe I fell for that.

lol. I can't believe I fell for that.
    Happens to the best of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is one video that is not an april fool.

No surprise that this is made out of Lego.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That was awesome. I'm so excited now!

Advertisement