Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Goonerdee wrote: »
    From what I can see the PSNI has updated their fleet. New Astra and Mondeo Estates all round. Im sure they haven't got rid of all their old vehicles but I haven't seen any in my area for a while.

The vast majority of those new Fords are Focus estates. I saw a nice looking, brand spanking new Astra estate with low profile lightbar up your neck of the woods, Gooner, at the NW200. Smart looking car. Worth pointing out that all these new PSNI cars are white rather than silver/grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Would be nice to see BMW's but only for Traffic Corp in my opinion. Even there small engines would be considered powerful these day and would be a bit pointless having them at your average city station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Would be nice to see BMW's but only for Traffic Corp in my opinion. Even there small engines would be considered powerful these day and would be a bit pointless having them at your average city station.

You are right, I must say that ARU/ex CAB marked BMW jeep does look the business, you would expect to see an English reg on it.
    I agree re TC, how about as suburban district A1 type cars, that are capable of getting from A to B rapidly.

Also it was not that long ago when I suggested a pan European type standard police car, similar to what they appear to be doing with Ambulances. I am just thinking of economies of scale for Police forces when ordering vehicles.

kub wrote: »
    You are right, I must say that ARU/ex CAB marked BMW jeep does look the business, you would expect to see an English reg on it.
    I agree re TC, how about as suburban district A1 type cars, that are capable of getting from A to B rapidly.

Also it was not that long ago when I suggested a pan European type standard police car, similar to what they appear to be doing with Ambulances. I am just thinking of economies of scale for Police forces when ordering vehicles.

A lot of manufactures today are making small turbocharged petrol engines. These are would be the solution I'd reckon. VW/Skoda have a 1.8 turbo petrol with impressive figures, would suit regular units down to the ground and possibly even TC as well and Ford have brought out an even more powerful engine for the Focus and Mondeo thats only 1.6.

However I do think that diesel is more suited to TC for cost reasons. While BMW's would look good I still think there too flashy for police work.

As a opinion I think that Traffic should be issued with 530d's (contradiction i know) and as above with other units Skoda/Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Saw a BMW Garda 4x4 a few times outside Watercourse Rd station in Cork last month. Think it was traffic corps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Saw a BMW Garda 4x4 a few times outside Watercourse Rd station in Cork last month. Think it was traffic corps.

AFAIK it's RSU, was seized by CAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

mmcn90 wrote: »
    AFAIK it's RSU, was seized by CAB.

Yep it is the RSU/ASU, found it on Google images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/6997405700/

Not sure of copyright issues so just posting the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

What on earth would TC want high powered engines for?

You don't need a big car to sit on your ass all day drinking tea and pretending to do checkpoints :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

d3exile wrote: »

What on earth would TC want high powered engines for?

You don't need a big car to sit on your ass all day drinking tea and pretending to do checkpoints :):)

This going start normal war between the regular/ compol/ traffic

POGAN wrote: »
    This going start normal war between the regular/ compol/ traffic

Im staying out of this now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

d3exile wrote: »
    Sorry kub edited my post above to answer your q bout the BMWs... Could be subject to Chinese whispers or pure BS of course but source is pretty reliable

chinese whispers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

J o e wrote: »
    Last time I was on this thread is was very strictly no-discussion... seems to have changed! :P The new aero-medical chopper in Galway today...

7261940170_933b391886_c.jpg

7261948544_436da3e388_c.jpg

This is the discussion thread, not the photo thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah I copped that and deleted the post and reposted in the correct thread! You must have quoted it just before I did! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/7261948544_436da3e388_c.jpg

Love this picture

"Back away Mike, you're grand!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

belacqua_ wrote: »
    The vast majority of those new Fords are Focus estates. I saw a nice looking, brand spanking new Astra estate with low profile lightbar up your neck of the woods, Gooner, at the NW200. Smart looking car. Worth pointing out that all these new PSNI cars are white rather than silver/grey.

Focus estates, they were really nice, yes, saw the Astra at the NW200 also, very low profile light bar. Virtually invisible. It was a sweet looking car.

Is that helicopter generating a lot of heat, or is there just a strange blur added to the image behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

KKV wrote: »
    Is that helicopter generating a lot of heat, or is there just a strange blur added to the image behind it?

All the hot air coming from the army lads ;)

...Exhaust fumes I'm guessing?

:)Helicopters have jet engines:)
    :eek:Jet Engines have exhausts:eek:
    :rolleyes:exhaust gases are hot.:rolleyes:
    :(They can burn you.:(

:)Helicopters have jet engines:)
    :eek:Jet Engines have exhausts:eek:
    :rolleyes:exhaust gases are hot.:rolleyes:
    :(They can burn you.:(

I don't really know anything about helicopters, to be honest, but I've photographed the Garda helicopter landing and taking off, and I've seen numerous photos of the Coast Guard one doing the same, but I've never seen such a blur/haze created by it/them?! :confused::eek:

You haven't been looking then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No blur added to the image - that's how it was. The stream coming out of the exhaust has a very refined edge!

jet_1.jpg

That's a bit mad looking, alright. There's no sign of such from the Garda helicopter when I seen it. Could it be a less powerful engine or such?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9360/p9112609.jpg

(that was on a pretty warm day though, does the temperature out matter? Would that be more noticeable on a cold day?). I never seen anything like it. It looks really odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

If you look the at the general area the blur is coming from you can see the exhaust from the engine. Im dont know much about helicopters either, but as far as im aware there is some sort of turbo propulsion or something in there (not sure how to say it exactly). Ask the aviation & aircraft forum.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    If you look the at the general area the blur is coming from you can see the exhaust from the engine. Im dont know much about helicopters either, but as far as im aware there is some sort of turbo propulsion or something in there (not sure how to say it exactly). Ask the aviation & aircraft forum.

Its called a jet engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

cocoshovel wrote: »

Its called a jet engine.

Well a turboshaft (gas turbine) engine if we're going to be correct about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Its called a jet engine.

Yeah. I wasnt sure if calling it that was correct so forgive me. The only think I know is piston engines, turboprop engines, and jet engine planes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll say it here so as not to infringe the rules but yes, that HSE spec ambulance was imported from the UK, I first saw it when it was still on UK plates, it replaces a 99 Merc Sprinter which was imported from Wales. That Ambulance even had all the safety messages in Welsh and English inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder does anyone know but, does the Mets 'Teapot 1' have Blues & Two's? Could be handy. ;)

Probably an unmarked that got stickers put on ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Yeah, bunch of silver & white unmarked cars were taken back & marked up.

Titanic & deckchairs... :rolleyes:

Advertisement