Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bartondir

I'm not sure I understand your setup completely, however. You've mentioned connecting to WiFi, I'm not sure if you're still intending on using the WiFi on the EPC3925 or if you have a discrete cable router. I also don't know where the powerline adapters fit in to your network equation. If you could please provide more information, then we could provide more help.[/QUOTE]

Ok,my epc3925 was set into a bridge mode with wifi disabled,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.When it comes to my powerline adapter should the lan cable go from my epc or linksys after they are set into the bridge mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Only one should be provisioned per customer. It uses MAC authentication so it's likely that the others won't work. And if they do now, they could be removed from the whitelist at any time. You can't sell them (and giving them away wouldn't be recommended) but you can hold onto them if you want.

thanks for the reply deceifer.

In holding onto them, the only real use I see then is to extend my internal network in the future (if I ever move to a bigger house!!), however from the multiple reports, its a carp router, so doesn't even seem any point in holding onto them in case in the future I need to do that. Guess I just notify UPC and ask them to pick them up. No point in them going to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

brian1976 wrote: »
    Guess I just notify UPC and ask them to pick them up. No point in them going to waste.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tell you they don't want them. I'm sure they get these devices for dirt cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

bartondir wrote: »
    Ok,my epc3925 was set into a bridge mode with wifi disabled,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.When it comes to my powerline adapter should the lan cable go from my epc or linksys after they are set into the bridge mode?
    You only set the EPC into Bridge mode but keeping everything on the internal network/LAN, hook them up to the Linksys. The Linksys should remain as a router for your setup to work.

I don't know why your phone won't work in the EPC. It should be fine. Maybe you have too many devices on it? Move everything to the Linksys, if so. I'm just wildly guessing on this one, I'm afraid.

My TP LINK WDR3600 is being delivered tomorrow so I can finally give this a shot.

Up and running. Thanks again DECEiFER.
    Everything is working great!

Slight problem initially, and a word of warning to those who have a TP Link router, don't use MAC cloning. They strongly advise you to use it when you are setting up your router but it was causing problems for me. I'm probably sounding like a complete noob if that was an obvious thing for you guys but I just saw "We strongly advise ... yaddy yaddy ya ..." and just pressed next without question.

Like I said, besides that little head scratcher moment, I'm up and running with far better range in the house and now concurrent 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

bartondir wrote: »
    ,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.

What type of phone is it?

Could it be that you have set Wfi to 802.11N only and your phone doesn't support this?

Leiva wrote: »
    What type of phone is it?

Could it be that you have set Wfi to 802.11N only and your phone doesn't support this?
    I'm such a slow f*ck. I was thinking the landline and it never once crossed my mind that you meant your mobile.

Leiva's question is a good one, but it could also be an unsupported encryption method, so trying selecting "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" or similar, if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bartondir

Hey, I reset all the settings and did it again and it's working finally. Only disappointment I have is speed through my powerline adapters thought it's gonna be cable speed and I am barely gettin 15mbit out of 100:-( thanks for all the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Hi, is there any way to restart the epc3925 from a web browser while its in bridge mode? The management tab no longer contains the device restart tab when i go to 192.168.100.1
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Nothing's impossible! But it would require another HTML code injection into the Bridge mode source from the Router mode source (see the Pastebin link in the OP). But ordinarily, no, there is no way. You'd have to inject the code every time. Unless you're a bit away from the device, it might be quicker just to restart it by hand.

EDIT: On second thought, it's likely not possible. I didn't realize that the restart functionality was on a different page, which doesn't exist at all in Bridge mode.
    http://192.168.100.1/Devicerestart.asp

This means that injecting HTML will be futile as it needs to be injected into the correct page for the correct script to execute on POST. It's not happening, I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

just wanted to save a trip upstairs ( im lazy :) ) thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Curious question:

I just upgraded to the 150 line and got a 3925.
    Was bridgeable straight out of the box so disabled everything and set to bridge.

Tested download speeds with a direct connection and got just over 150mb. Happy out.

Now I connected my Linksys E4200 running DDWRT and although I'm getting a connection, it's only downloading at anywhere between 10-50mb

Any ideas? I've been tinkering and changing settings for the past 2 hours but getting no where :(

Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Ping to both routers is fine. <1ms for each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Ok this could be a really stupid question but i say this is the best place to ask it..

Just wondering in the cisco router connected to the second router by ethernet, or can they be bridge wirelessly..

Basically i want to bridge the router to have internet upstairs, so could i have the cisco router downstairs bridging wirelessly with my netgear router upstairs and then connect an ethernet cable from the netgear router into my tv??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Noxin wrote: »
    Curious question:

I just upgraded to the 150 line and got a 3925.
    Was bridgeable straight out of the box so disabled everything and set to bridge.

Tested download speeds with a direct connection and got just over 150mb. Happy out.

Now I connected my Linksys E4200 running DDWRT and although I'm getting a connection, it's only downloading at anywhere between 10-50mb

Any ideas? I've been tinkering and changing settings for the past 2 hours but getting no where :(

Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Ping to both routers is fine. <1ms for each.

Over wifi or wired?
    Harpy wrote: »
    Ok this could be a really stupid question but i say this is the best place to ask it..

Just wondering in the cisco router connected to the second router by ethernet, or can they be bridge wirelessly..

Basically i want to bridge the router to have internet upstairs, so could i have the cisco router downstairs bridging wirelessly with my netgear router upstairs and then connect an ethernet cable from the netgear router into my tv??

Bridging != wireless bridge here, which is what you want. Get a wireless extender unit and dont use the bridge setting.

just wanted to save a trip upstairs ( im lazy :) ) thanks anyway
    Nah, no worries. I was all set to mock up the option for you into a HTML doc that you could keep stored on your desktop, or wherever's most convenient, that would have the option to restart and run the script. But it seems the restart script is inaccessible in Bridge mode, so unfortunately, it's something that can easily be achieved at this point.

ED E wrote: »
    Over wifi or wired?

Wired

Noxin wrote: »
    Wired
    Another person posted similar issues and he too was using DD-WRT. It's advisable that you flash your router back to stock and see if it improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

ED E wrote: »
    Over wifi or wired?

Bridging != wireless bridge here, which is what you want. Get a wireless extender unit and dont use the bridge setting.

So i can do what i want with the stuff i have..
    Basically i want to connect my smart tv to the internet and the dongle for it costs a good bit so would prefer to avoid buying it..

So want to get my upc cisco router to connect wirelessly with my old netgear router in my room and then connect to the tv throught an ethernet cable to the tv..

can i do that by what is explained in the op?
    I'm sorry yer dealing with a dummy here...

• Advertisement

Harpy wrote: »
    So i can do what i want with the stuff i have..
    Basically i want to connect my smart tv to the internet and the dongle for it costs a good bit so would prefer to avoid buying it..

So want to get my upc cisco router to connect wirelessly with my old netgear router in my room and then connect to the tv throught an ethernet cable to the tv..

can i do that by what is explained in the op?
    I'm sorry yer dealing with a dummy here...
    If your Netgear supports repeating then consider doing that with the EPC. That's the cheapest way to get it done. Else you'll have to consider purchasing powerline adapters or a wireless access point or that dongle you are you want to avoid shelling out for.

Another person posted similar issues and he too was using DD-WRT. It's advisable that you flash your router back to stock and see if it improves.

Finally got around to flashing back to stock and you were right! Seems DDWRT has something limiting the connection.

Nice one mate.

Excellent! It's cool that it's not the actual router or your configuration that caused the slowdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I recently to upgrade my upc connection to 100mb and having read threads here regarding the wireless performance of the EPC3925 I bought an Asus RT-N66U to use as my wireless router with a view to bridging the EPC.

My bridge method: Ive disabled the wireless radio and set the EPC to bridge mode. No HTML editing required as bridge mode enabled by default. I have connected the Asus router to the #1 ethernet connection on the EPC.

When I run a wireless speed test on the EPC in its out of the box configuration I get ~70mbps. But when I have the EPC bridged with the Asus connected and run a speed test in either wired or wireless with the Asus router I'm only getting ~40mbps.

To investigate a bit further and take my equipment out of the equation I went over to the folks house this afternoon as they also recently upgraded to 50mb and also recieved an EPC3925. It exhibits similar symptoms. In a wired speed test it got ~53mbps. In a wireless test I got ~37mbps but in bridged mode with my old Linksys WRT160N I got ~16mbps.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What wifi card are you using? Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware for the asus?

Also have you checked to see what other wifi networks are around you?

I realise these factors wouldn't explain the Ethernet performance.

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

I have the Asus and using it with the n53 wifi dingle have comfortably got over 100mb.

dub45 wrote: »
    What wifi card are you using? Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware for the asus?

Also have you checked to see what other wifi networks are around you?

I realise these factors wouldn't explain the Ethernet performance.

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

I have the Asus and using it with the n53 wifi dingle have comfortably got over 100mb.

Yes the N66 is on the latest firmware. Ive been testing my own setup via ethernet cable.

I'll have a go with other cables and see if theres any difference.

• Advertisement

The problem was in fact the Ethernet cable supplied by UPC.

Issue solved anyway, thanks dub45 for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hi
    I have my Cisco bridged successfully with a TP Link 841N.
    The only problem I have now is I can't view my home network through DLNA VIA MY LG TV.
    I had it working perfect just with the Cisco 3925.
    I have a Ethernet cable direct from back of TV into an Ethernet switch .
    Anyone any ideas? As I said it was working perfect before I bridged.
    The TV days its connected to the internet through wired connection but can't see anything.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

iggy wrote: »
    Hi
    I have my Cisco bridged successfully with a TP Link 841N.
    The only problem I have now is I can't view my home network through DLNA VIA MY LG TV.
    I had it working perfect just with the Cisco 3925.
    I have a Ethernet cable direct from back of TV into an Ethernet switch .
    Anyone any ideas? As I said it was working perfect before I bridged.
    The TV days its connected to the internet through wired connection but can't see anything.
    Thanks

Hi Iggy,

Is your TV still connected to the EPC or to the TP Link? If it is connected to the EPC you are connected, non-filtered, to the internet directly and are not on your network

If you are connected to the TP Link then double check your TV is connected on the same domain range e.g. if the TP Link address range is 192.168.1.x make sure the TV is connected in that range e.g. 192.168.1.10. If the TV had a static IP address with the EPC it might have been a different range than the TP Link and therefore cannot see anything connected to the TP Link

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Guys - looks like I am failing at the first hurdle :o

What's the username and password to get access to the EPC3925? I'm conecting to http://192.168.1.1/

Thanks

The default is nothing. Leave the fields blank. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

The default is nothing. Leave the fields blank. :)

Ah, FFS :o

Thanks mate :)

Not a problem. I had to look that one up when I first got it, I didn't think to leave them blank either.

I've lost the landline within the last week or so. Not sure if it's related to bridging or not but did anyone get this problem a couple of weeks after they bridged? Going to try revert it and bridge again to see if I get the functionality back.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I've lost the landline within the last week or so. Not sure if it's related to bridging or not but did anyone get this problem a couple of weeks after they bridged? Going to try revert it and bridge again to see if I get the functionality back.
    Let us know how it goes? I got rid of my cordless phone, no use for it, but while I did have it, I didn't notice any problems.

Let us know how it goes? I got rid of my cordless phone, no use for it, but while I did have it, I didn't notice any problems.

Yeah have no need for it myself either.

Back working there last night. Did a couple of resets and it seemed to start working again. No need to get out of bridge mode. Not entirely sure why it didn't work after my initial reset. Ah well...

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Yeah have no need for it myself either.

Back working there last night. Did a couple of resets and it seemed to start working again. No need to get out of bridge mode. Not entirely sure why it didn't work after my initial reset. Ah well...
    It might have been screwed on their end and maybe even if the EPC was in Router mode it wouldn't have mattered?

It might have been screwed on their end and maybe even if the EPC was in Router mode it wouldn't have mattered?

Yeah, that might be it. Other than that, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Having a strange problem, got a tp link tl-wdr3600. I've set the EPC to bridge mode, disabled wireless etc. Connected to the TPlink wirelessly with Macbook and I have internet but the router IP is set to 89.100.194.1 and I cant access it, unless I RR the router at which point I get the 192.168.0.1 address which I can access but I have no internet. Then if I rr the laptop I get the old IP address and get the internet back....

Where have I gone wrong??

Thanks

edit - seems to be a problem with the laptop, any ideas?

Is the TP-Link set to bridge also? Make sure it isn't and you basically use it as a regular cable router.

Is the TP-Link set to bridge also? Make sure it isn't and you basically use it as a regular cable router.

Its not set to bridge, its giving a error "WAN port is unplugged!"

If I renew DHCP lease on my mac it randomly switches between the two IP's.
    I only have one laptop at the moment but it seems to be effecting the roku box in the same way

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone know what the latest firmware is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Its not set to bridge, its giving a error "WAN port is unplugged!"

If I renew DHCP lease on my mac it randomly switches between the two IP's.
    I only have one laptop at the moment but it seems to be effecting the roku box in the same way

Thanks
    Sounds like you have the EPC3925 connected to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port which is where it's supposed to be.

Alun wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the EPC3925 connected to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port which is where it's supposed to be.
    It could be that. Is the cable connected to the blue "Internet" port on the TP-Link?

Alun wrote: »

Ooops, spot on! All sorted.

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Ooops, spot on! All sorted.
    Nice one! Glad it wasn't something too arduous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

Newbie question - I want to connect a Netgear box (WNR3500v2) to my UPC Cisco 3925 as an extender. I've gone through what I understand are the necessary steps to set up the two boxes to talk to each other,(including defining fixed ip addresses and the correct mac addresses, but cant connect to the internet via the repeater - do I need to enable this True Bridge mode? I'm not really sure what this is all about :confused:

You don't need any fixed IP addresses or an allowance for a specific MAC address. You set the EPC3925 into Bridge mode (turn off the EPC's Wireless) and the Netgear to "Get [the IP] Dynamically from ISP." Also you need not enable any repeater (WDS) functions in either device. It should work right off from there and give you greater performance overall, rather than degrade it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

You don't need any fixed IP addresses or an allowance for a specific MAC address. You set the EPC3925 into Bridge mode (turn off the EPC's Wireless) and the Netgear to "Get [the IP] Dynamically from ISP." Also you need not enable any repeater (WDS) functions in either device. It should work right off from there and give you greater performance overall, rather than degrade it.

But I want to use the netgear box as an extender, not to replace the wireless on the cisco box - I want to place it some distance from the cisco box and connect the two wirelessly

Even more confused now! I guess I'll have to read through all this thread..

I was following this guys instructions (as closely as possible, given that it was for two netgear boxes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8qaomfcTg

Well I guess you could do that. You can use the Repeater/WDS settings but that often only works on WEP encryption types and you'd lose performance as a result, in addition. You'd have to keep the EPC in Router mode for this to work.

You could also use the Netgear as an AP (Access Point) which isn't as complicated. This might be the best course of action. Again the EPC needs to be in Router mode.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556

• Advertisement

Was checking out the horizon.tv service that UPC are offering. Getting a message telling me that I need to be connected to my UPC broadband service. Do you think this is due to the fact that I'm now going through my own router using the bridge feature?

Advertisement