Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beaut.ie rant on Lush Stunt

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

As a very regular reader of beaut.ie (usually twice a day for the last 5 years) I have to say I’m really disappointed with the way they seem to be going lately. To be honest I wasn’t a big fan of Kirstie, I found her very confrontational when someone dared disagree with her in the comments section but at the same time her style of writing was funny without being crass. Also, the decline in quality definitely began with her leaving. I’m not in the least bit prudish but the likes of the recent “fanny wash” posts are just pointless and immature. I mean, why anyone would even consider using that to wash their face, there must be dozens of face washes out there designed for the face, let alone a bar of Dove soap (less than a euro) which is pH 7.....which seemed to be the reason for using “fanny wash”.

I understand why alot of people have said “well if you don’t like what they are writing don’t read it/comment”, that is true but as I said like many I’ve been an avid reader for many years and I just feel disgusted with this new attitude of “if you don’t like it pi$$ off!”. Like I said Kirstie was very confrontational if someone disagreed with her, but at the same time she did at least engage with the poster and discussed her point of view.

I think like myself many of their dedicated readers are no longer logging on to read their posts. It’s sad really, hopefully this is just a transition stage and one day they’ll go back to their quality writing. In the mean time http://www.vivaadonis.com/ is an excellent Irish blog, they usually only post once a day but (beaut.ie hear this) its quality not quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

ClubDead wrote: »
    [SIZE="2"]As a very regular reader of beaut.ie (usually twice a day for the last 5 years) I have to say I’m really disappointed with the way they seem to be going lately. To be honest I wasn’t a big fan of Kirstie, I found her very confrontational when someone dared disagree with her in the comments section but at the same time her style of writing was funny without being crass. Also, the decline in quality definitely began with her leaving. I’m not in the least bit prudish but the likes of the recent “fanny wash” posts are just pointless and immature. I mean, why anyone would even consider using that to wash their face, there must be dozens of face washes out there designed for the face, let alone a bar of Dove soap (less than a euro) which is pH 7.....which seemed to be the reason for using “fanny wash”.

I understand why alot of people have said “well if you don’t like what they are writing don’t read it/comment”, that is true but as I said like many I’ve been an avid reader for many years and I just feel disgusted with this new attitude of “if you don’t like it pi$$ off!”. Like I said Kirstie was very confrontational if someone disagreed with her, but at the same time she did at least engage with the poster and discussed her point of view.

I think like myself many of their dedicated readers are no longer logging on to read their posts. It’s sad really, hopefully this is just a transition stage and one day they’ll go back to their quality writing. In the mean time http://www.vivaadonis.com/ is an excellent Irish blog, they usually only post once a day but (beaut.ie hear this) its quality not quantity. [/SIZE]

Also a regular reader and contribute to the Blather most days, very disappointed with what I would consider to be a sharp decline from good quality, amateur beauty journalism to cheap, crass infantile blogging.

The post count on the Blather used to be in the hundreds, these days it's a good day if it hits 50 or 60.

Maybe though they are just responding to what their "market" is looking for? Is this what young women want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Also a regular reader and contribute to the Blather most days, very disappointed with what I would consider to be a sharp decline from good quality, amateur beauty journalism to cheap, crass infantile blogging.

The post count on the Blather used to be in the hundreds, these days it's a good day if it hits 50 or 60.

Maybe though they are just responding to what their "market" is looking for? Is this what young women want?

Maybe, I haven't recognised a lot of the names in the comments section lately, perhaps this new style of writing is appealing to a younger group. I’m also surprised by the amount of positive comments in the blogs about knicker sniffing/fanny wash etc. Maybe in at my decrepit age of 28 I’m just too old for this humour?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ms cloggs

Hi Sittingpretty - can I ask if you felt able to ask Aisling about this? I left a polite comment querying the direction the blog had gone one day when there was actually no beauty posts at all but my comment was deleted. Other comments are strangely disappearing too, on the Samatha Brick post I think it was Cheap&Cheerful left a comment saying some of the comments were a bit too bitchy and it was deleted, very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

ms cloggs wrote: »

Hi Sittingpretty - can I ask if you felt able to ask Aisling about this? I left a polite comment querying the direction the blog had gone one day when there was actually no beauty posts at all but my comment was deleted. Other comments are strangely disappearing too, on the Samatha Brick post I think it was Cheap&Cheerful left a comment saying some of the comments were a bit too bitchy and it was deleted, very strange.

I did, it was ignored :(

I did, it was ignored :(

Well that's a shame, I think you're right about the site wanting younger readers. I'll just have to follow the exodus and find a site where I can read a beauty post that doesn't keep mentioning Michael Fassbender's penis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I agree with everything your're saying about the site changing, I've been reading the blog for years now. I used to dip in and out of it throughout the day but lately I've become seriously disinterested in it (the fanny face topic finished me off) it seems to be trying to attract a younger age I think, there's alot less makeup related posts also. The daily blather is giving a clear view of the amount of people who have left, its only at 20 at the moment and as already stated it used to be well past a hundred most days.
    I'll have to wander off to find an alternative I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Hi all.

I wanted to give an example of the bitching on twitter:

Rosemary Mac Cabe‏@RosemaryMacCabe

@beautie @lorrrrrrrrraine also yer wan Candi is a bint. Also I left a comment but it's a bit late. Best comment ever, I think you'll agree.

25 Apr Lorraine Haigney‏@Lorrrrrrrrraine

@RosemaryMacCabe @beautie Saw your comment! Perfection. I'm amazed at how many didn't read what I wrote :

Candi had just raised an objection to the 'smelly knicker' type posts.

I just looked at the breastfeeding post there, the criticisms were directed to the tone of the post, no response from the writer when this was queried on the blather. A lot of regular readers seem to have disappeared, I've a feeling a lot more will follow.

I don't understand Twitter at all, can you enlighten me on this? Who is Candi? And Rosemary MacCabe? I'm fairly stupid when it comes to stuff like this I'm afraid :o

I don't understand Twitter at all, can you enlighten me on this? Who is Candi? And Rosemary MacCabe? I'm fairly stupid when it comes to stuff like this I'm afraid :o

Sure, it's probably a bit confusing. Candi (a longtime member) left a comment in the Lush post objecting to the tone of the post and expressed dismay at the direction the blog was going in. Another poster was obviously following the writer on twitter and objected to her and her friends having a bitch about the comments being left (example above). The poster queried why the writer was not addressing the comments on the thread instead of belittling people on twitter. Beaut.ie withdrew the post the next day blaming trolls spamming the post but a lot of people are suspicious that it was withdrawn as it really made them look bad. Normally, they just close the comments if they're not happy with them and it's unusual to withdraw the entire post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Sure, it's probably a bit confusing. Candi (a longtime member) left a comment in the Lush post objecting to the tone of the post and expressed dismay at the direction the blog was going in. Another poster was obviously following the writer on twitter and objected to her and her friends having a bitch about the comments being left (example above). The poster queried why the writer was not addressing the comments on the thread instead of belittling people on twitter. Beaut.ie withdrew the post the next day blaming trolls spamming the post but a lot of people are suspicious that it was withdrawn as it really made them look bad. Normally, they just close the comments if they're not happy with them and it's unusual to withdraw the entire post.

That's a horrible thing to do, it really shows how unprofessional some of the younger writers are. I find that a lot of posts are full of ridiculous similes now and no actual good writing about the topic/product at hand.

Guys I'm closing this thread now as it has gone way off topic.

Fashion and Appearance would be a better place to discuss beauty websites in general.

whoopsadaisydoodles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement