Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student Medical Center to Start Charging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

So who made up the figures? The initial charges? You say An Focal is the first you've heard of them. But, you also said you told each officer what you were told. What happened?

Did An Focal fabricate the numbers? You seem to maintain the charges are still only a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cadroc wrote: »
    2 years ago at questions with Don Barry a question was asked about this very thing. Don asked for a show of hands as to who would be for paying for the medical centre rather than something else being implemented (can't remember the alternative). The Class Reps council, which was pretty packed since we were getting our certs, mostly agreed to it rather than the alternative.

Sorry I can't remember what the alternative scenario given actually was, maybe someone else remembers.

Library opening hours, as far as I remember. Even if my memory is faulty (which it probably isn't), library opening hours would be the most logical "this will affect you" alternative for DB to have suggested as an illustrative example.

Obviously it's not as simplistic as an "and/or" but public meetings don't often tend to lend themselves to complicated analyses anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

sceptre wrote: »
    Library opening hours, as far as I remember. Even if my memory is faulty (which it probably isn't), library opening hours would be the most logical "this will affect you" alternative for DB to have suggested as an illustrative example.

Obviously it's not as simplistic as an "and/or" but public meetings don't often tend to lend themselves to complicated analyses anyway.

Yeah the Library opening hours were probably a thing at the time, i think they'd been a part of Ruans presidential run...

Although, I would have guessed it was more to do with Tutorials if I was to hazard a guess, and the lack of them. having a Tutorial once every 2 weeks was an issue back then (and still now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Yeah the Library opening hours were probably a thing at the time, i think they'd been a part of Ruans presidential run...

Although, I would have guessed it was more to do with Tutorials if I was to hazard a guess, and the lack of them. having a Tutorial once every 2 weeks was an issue back then (and still now).

I remember that actually. it was suggested that people who have to go on teaching practise could give previous years (i.e 1st years) tutorials if they didn't get placement (or in general as it looks great on a cv). He couldn't grasp that people were willing to give these for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ireland2012

There is a mountain being made out of a mole hill here, the SU and its officers are not to blame for any of this,

Its a small charge for medical advice etc,
    its far less that a trip to your local GP or A and E,

I think its high time people just get over it and move on there are more important things in live, complaining that you have to pay a small amount for a health service is ridiculous, would people rather not to pay and have a reduced service ?.

Be glad that its there at all, at a time of budget cuts etc. WE all know that third level education is underfunded.

Just be glad that you are in collage at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

I was going to let this slide but then I realised how rancid it is.
    There is a mountain being made out of a mole hill here

No it's not.
    the SU and its officers are not to blame for any of this
    Yes they are.
    Its a small charge for medical advice etc

No it's not.
    its far less that a trip to your local GP or A and E,
    Not if you have a medical card.
    I think its high time people just get over it and move on there are more important things in live,

Really, after about a weekend of discussion you think it's worth just moving on and just accepting what ever policy the college gives you.
    complaining that you have to pay a small amount for a health service is ridiculous,

rather than complaining you suggest rolling over.
    would people rather not to pay and have a reduced service ?.

Who knows. Has anyone thought of asking?
    Be glad that its there at all, at a time of budget cuts etc. WE all know that third level education is underfunded.

We are paying for this.
    Just be glad that you are in collage at the very least.

You're obviously not, you can't even spell college. You are obviously some relation or personal acquaintance of derek daly and are not actually in UL so I really don't care much for your weakling opinion.

This is the worst shill I've seen in my entire life. Try harder derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ireland2012

Oh god I spelt a word wrong its hardly the end of the world, and just to make it clear, not that I have to justify myself to you I am a UL student so it does effect me, but I'm not like you making a big deal out of nothing, you would swear people are going to die over this changes.

Mod mode:

This is the last warning you'll see in this thread on not personalising the discussion. If you'd like to continue taking part in the discussion, you'd be best advised to not do that. Your call really - if your primary focus is personalising it and insulting people, you're not adding anything useful anyway.

Non-mod mode:

Could well have been. Either way, something that people would have put higher on the pecking order (which, of course, was the entire purpose in posing the question:). It wasn't a choice where the outcome of opinion was going to be uncertain.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JoeCares

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    No derek. This isn't a once off where the memo got lost and someone forgot to tell someone and then something didn't get done and it's bit of a pickle (e.g. presumably renewing the website) but it will all get sorted in the end.

This is a sign of the inherent, widespread, deep rot that is within the current SU. There is a lack of leadership and cohesion, the different officers seem to have no professional working relationship.

It isn't a once off. This is a continuous occurrence. Information, decisions, ideas come from the top (university) and are supposed to filter through the SU so that the important, relevant and interesting stuff is presented to the students as appropriate.

Derek, go and ask any neutral and ask them to look at how you portray yourself on this forum. They will tell you you are condescending, dismissive and smug. You are condescending because you are deciding for me for you think I should know. You are dismissive because you are ignoring all criticism. You are smug because you know your salary is guaranteed and you're out of this kip in a few weeks.

You're almost as bad as KOB responding to radio criticism. You'd swear you came down in the last shower.

Be assured derek, there are plenty more people that feel the same way about you and the SU but don't take the time to remind you. Don't be so foolish as to think this is just one person with a chip on your shoulder, we are many. we are legion.

This has to be the best sum up of the situation. Well done.

Derek i think you really need to read that post carefully, very carefully. There is a reason the general student public have reacted as they have. It is not the fact that student charges have come in, it is how it has happened and how the SU have dealt with it. This has been building for quite some time. People have let you off before and given you the benefit of the doubt.

You have failed to confront issues as they have emerged and deal with them in a professional manner, you let your sabbat team fall apart under your eyes. You need to learn to take responsibility boy.

We havent heard you take responsibility for anything that has happened within the union this year. This will go down on record as one of the worst years for the SU.

There is a reason that people are so pissed off and dont be so arrogant as to think of us students as mear peasants that are a nuisance to you swanning around with the big boys.

I have been following the SU for a good number of years now and have never felt the need to comment on their actions. I hope things pick up for my final year.

I hope you are smart enough to learn from this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

If I remember correctly there was also a mention of an extra charge for Graduations too??
    reunion wrote: »
    I remember that actually. it was suggested that people who have to go on teaching practise could give previous years (i.e 1st years) tutorials if they didn't get placement (or in general as it looks great on a cv). He couldn't grasp that people were willing to give these for free.

That's nice in an ideal world but it'd be pointless. As a teacher you HAVE to get placement otherwise you take a year out and they try again the following year (this has never actually happened, every student HAS been offered a place every year) because without your teaching hours in a school your four years are pointless. And the teaching council would never allow it.

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there was also a mention of an extra charge for Graduations too??
    Yes, you do. There was.

It all comes flooding back. Well, bits of it:)

You'd almost expect there to have been a mention of adding a turnstile with a daily euro charge for getting in...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've done some digging and found this which was sent on 7th October as a list of services that we would consider necessary for the Health Centre. Note that it was stated 'if there is to be a charge'. It was bound by the proviso that we had no way of knowing what levels of usage are so we were working off a working day basis rather than patient numbers as there isn't an electronic system to give that info.
    GP Clinics (at least 3 per day 1.5 Friday) – Hours Posted/ Number of doctors available at given hours posted
    General Nurse Clinic (at least 3 per day 1.5 Friday) – Hours Posted/ Number of nurses available
    Contraceptive Clinic (at least 2 per week) – Hour Posted
    STI (testing) Clinic (at least 2 per week) – Hours Posted
    Psychiatric clinic (at least 1 per week) – Appointment only

SHC Feedback email address – Students Union/ Director of Student Affairs / SHC Manager all copied.
    Student satisfaction survey emailed to each student who uses the facility.
    Administrative desk – doctors/nurses should be seeing patients, where paperwork is not bound by professional knowledge remove it from their desks.
    Management review committee to deal with feedback issues.

Clinic defined as 4 hour patient facing period excluding administration.
    Student Wellbeing Hub - first point of call merged with Counselling and Chaplaincy. Welcoming and well ventilated.

If there is to be a charge a breakdown of how many nurse hours, doctor hours and ancillary clinic hours will be provided. The current cost of seeing a doctor in LIT is €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The current cost of seeing a doctor in LIT is manageable.

Yes, which is why we cited it.

don't be so bloody rude derek just do the job you are paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

the most shocking thing about this announcement was that i was held back from the students for a weekend or more to allow the last issue of an focal would have a good headline . the fact that something like this is in the in process of being implemented dose not shock me . but the fact that students will have to pay for what was a free service will mean that the public know deserve to know all details about how the service is organized and funded as well as if there is any money being wasted in the students health center.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

Hi all,

Just to let you know about the following which has been posted on our facebook and via emails.

We are out and about for the next two days to rally students to this.
    Union Forum - Medical Centre
    Medical Centre Charges - Union Forum.
    Venue Schrodinger Building -SR3006
    Date: Thursday 19th of April
    Time 3-5pm

This is the Student's opportunity to discuss and hit back against recent decision making relating to the proposed Medical Centre charges.

Bernadette Walsh of Student Affairs and VPAR Paul McCutcheon have been invited to attend as the key University members involved with this decision.

Make sure you are there and your voice is heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoIFT3dhzQ&feature=youtu.be

Thank you and if you have any questions or queries give me a shout on:
    paddy.rockett@ul.ie

Paddy Rockett
    Campaigns and Services Officer

Oifigeach Feachtais agus Seirbhísí

University of Limerick Students' Union
    061 213542 | 086 0435303
    sucso@ul.ie| www.ulsu.ie
    www.facebook.com/ulstudentsunion

Bernadette Walsh of Student Affairs and VPAR Paul McCutcheon have been invited to attend as the key University members involved with this decision.

have they confirmed their attendance yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

Alternate plan to fund Medical Centre It seems that we have been uninformed for quite some time. Tomorrow's forum will be even more interesting... Oh the bant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Alternate plan to fund Medical Centre It seems that we have been uninformed for quite some time. Tomorrow's forum will be even more interesting... Oh the bant!

Think you mean this link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

Cossax wrote: »
    Think you mean this link?

Indeed I do. Sorry about that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

yekahS wrote: »
    Students taxpayers? Don't make me laugh pal. Any of the ones who do manage to work, work handy jobs behind a cashier in an offie, or making sandwiches in a deli. So even if they are paying tax, its a measly amount, and not enough to remotely cover the services they receive from the state.

No, its left to hard-working taxpayers to fund these 3/4-year holiday camps where some priveleged young fella can get an arts degree, whilst drinking every night of the week, and staying up all night playing xbox.

Its high time some of this entitlement culture embedded in the student culture in Ireland caught up with the real world.

On the issue of the medical centre. Shouldn't be funded by the university. Universities are there to educate, not look after the health of the students. That's the remit of the HSE, and students should be part of the public system like anyone else, and if they want to go the private route, then off with them, but I shouldn't have to pay it.

Most ignorant comment I've ever seen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

God damn, would've loved to go to that forum. Stupid lab exam. :(

Will TST be recording it? (Long shot I know :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Hopefully we will be, Will!

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    So the penalty for not having a balanced budget is what exactly? A fine? Financial sanctions? That's pretty smart. Make it more difficult to balance the budget because you didnt balance the budget. This country.

Either that's the stupidest policy known to man, it's entirely ineffectual (i.e. it's a slap on the wrist) or its not true.
    I've attached the Employment Control Framework. The sanctions aren't financial, rather operational. To be able to continue to fill vacancies budgets must be balanced.

3 (c) is the relevant section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Spent nearly 3 hours at the forum with Bernadette Walsh today. I dont know if it will achieve anything but I think she took our concerns on board and actually did listen. Couldnt help thinking that her only aim in all this is to balance the books and to hell with what students think

Ok the fees will have to be paid, times are tough and all. I'm just glad that the SU informed the student body when they were made aware of the proposal in November

At least we got to have our say before the decision was made

.............oh wait

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Ok the fees will have to be paid, times are tough and all. I'm just glad that the SU informed the student body when they were made aware of the proposal in November

At least we got to have our say before the decision was made

.............oh wait

Out of curiosity, were you at the Forum?

Out of curiosity, were you at the Forum?

Nope on erasmus in Spain at the moment so would have been tough to get there

But like I said, the decisions have been made. Why wasn't this forum organised in November when the possibility of charges was raised to Derek Daly?

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Nope on erasmus in Spain at the moment so would have been tough to get there

But like I said, the decisions have been made. Why wasn't this forum organised in November when the possibility of charges was raised to Derek Daly?

As far as I know, I'm sure someone else will know further, but the Union has been told that there is a possibility that charges will be introduced for the past number of years and reasonably expected them not to be introduced. The Union was aware that some fees might be introduced but weren't made aware of what they may be, and some University staff ignored emails and requests from the students for a long period of time. The decision was also made by the Exec Committee of the university, the only committee where a Student Representative isn't sitting on the board.

The reason we found out in An Focal and not before it was issued is apparently due to a request by the University to allow them to tell staff about this.. According to TST, this didn't happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement