Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Jhcx wrote: »
    To be fair i like its layout looks neat and simple but id miss windows born and raised. but look the business only use chrome and xp is slowly but surely dying before our eyes taking upto 2 minutes to start chrome. think its time to more on.
    Indeed as XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore it makes sense to move onto an OS that is being updated and reliable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Linux Mint is nice. I've that as my Linux OS on one of my laptops for college work.

Fedora on the other hand... well, Fedora can die in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Or else try Red Star OS.

It was designed by the Supreme Leader himself. :pac:

(I know nothing about Linux..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So passionate.

Fun fact just learned. I enjoy talking to my friends than having the same conversation with a stranger.

• Advertisement

My name is J and I'm an alcoholic. OK not yet but it runs in the family and with life just seeming ever so hard just looks so easy to turn to the bottle. I'm sitting here on the edge of the bed the vodka and seven up is staring at me. Headphones are in to try and drown out the temptation. But the longer I leave it the more I crave it. Last drink was 31st August. Tbf I'd take driving and music over drinking any day but moments like now just seems so easy to give up my low paying job, my ambitions to be nothing, and go out on the piss, have sex and just forget the world ever existed. I'm not an alcoholic but definitely walking that way.

Da hell is a Dermatologist anyway. what happened to the doctor and dentist. have to go there tomoro. again. grr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Da hell is a Dermatologist anyway. what happened to the doctor and dentist. have to go there tomoro. again. grr

Skin doctor.

Went to one last week about my eczema which I've had since birth. Am already experiencing massive improvement. Less itchy so sleeping better, which was a big problem recently. Fúcking expensive but so worth it. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Trying to create a Gantt chart in excel, and it keeps putting the start date on the Y-Axis as July 2014 instead of October 2014. I have no idea where it's getting that figure from...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Trying to create a Gantt chart in excel, and it keeps putting the start date on the Y-Axis as July 2014 instead of October 2014. I have no idea where it's getting that figure from...
    I found this video helpful when doing Gantt charts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdsjVN3du78&list=UUjXUIvMeiEUna3KTQtYmScA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone recommend a good external hard drive with decent memory (maybe 1 TB) that will last? I've heard if you get cheap ones they crash and die very easily.

I bought this guy 2 years ago (almost to the day now that I check my receipts, happy birthday hard drive!) and honestly couldn't be happier with it. S'only 500GB but I only use it to back up my iTunes and important files so it's loads for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDTB105EK3AA-Stor-E-Basics-External/dp/B005X7AXW0

EDIT: Wait, didn't see you could change the size. The 2TB for £75 is a bargain!

I bought this guy 2 years ago (almost to the day now that I check my receipts, happy birthday hard drive!) and honestly couldn't be happier with it. S'only 500GB but I only use it to back up my iTunes and important files so it's loads for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDTB105EK3AA-Stor-E-Basics-External/dp/B005X7AXW0

EDIT: Wait, didn't see you could change the size. The 2TB for £75 is a bargain!

Wow, 2TB for 75 pounds seems very good. I'm not great technologically so just making sure I get a good one that will last.

I had been looking at this one - http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/wd-my-passport-ultra-portbl-hard-drive-2-tb-titanium/316951/327

But the one you've pointed out seems damn good also! Decisions :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Even though I really dislike the woman in that photo (I've met her, LONG story), it's a good one alright.

It's 6.52 and I'm on a train. Yet again. I give Irish Rail WAY too much money

so lads what sort of activities are available to do in limerick for 21 year olds. i need to find something to do that involves meeting new people making friends.

Heroin dealing.

Thanks great help. i'll find that bridge now

*Grabs Coat*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

so lads what sort of activities are available to do in limerick for 21 year olds. i need to find something to do that involves meeting new people making friends.

Mostly sports stuff, really. The city is full of soccer, GAA and rugby clubs. Martial arts/self defence clubs are worth a look. Tag Rugby is always popular too, especially for people who haven't played organised team sports in a while. Climbing walls at the school on Sexton Street.

You could look into creative writing (or even just listening to poetry) at the White House pub on Wednesday evenings, or open mic music in the same venue on Thursdays. You could meet all sorts of people of all ages at the Limerick City of Culture events between now and the end of the year, especially the free ones!

I believe there're also an Archery and rowing clubs in the city if that's something you'd be interested in.

Also, some of the clubs and societies in UL accept members who aren't students at the university. I know there're some that specifically don't (AFAIK you've to be full-time registered to join the sports ones for example), so that's another avenue you might pursue.

Of course these are just suggestions in case the heroin dealing doesn't work out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

(Edit: wnolan just beat me to it :p) I'm pretty sure most of the clubs and socs in UL are open to non-student members as well. There might be a small joining fee to cover insurance, etc., but that would be a great way to meet people. There's literally something for everyone there!
    An File wrote: »
    You could look into creative writing (or even just listening to poetry) at the White House pub on Wednesday evenings, or open mic music in the same venue on Thursdays.

Are they on every week? I'm vaguely aware of the poetry readings but I never knew they'd an open mic night. I'm quite pleased to hear it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also, some of the clubs and societies in UL accept members who aren't students at the university. I know there're some that specifically don't (AFAIK you've to be full-time registered to join the sports ones for example), so that's another avenue you might pursue.

A friend of mine joined the trampoline society last year, and the parkour group! They were supposed to be savage. Great exercise and a really cool group of people.
    Are they on every week? I'm vaguely aware of the poetry readings but I never knew they'd an open mic night. I'm quite pleased to hear it!

The poetry has been running every week for ten years. I think they're closing in on 550 consecutive weeks of poetry there. :) The music/open mic only started in the last month though, but it could be one to watch for the future.

An File wrote: »
    A friend of mine joined the trampoline society last year, and the parkour group! They were supposed to be savage. Great exercise and a really cool group of people.

I hear the ULFM crowd are a great bunch of handsome and funny people too.

;) :P

Cool thanks lads. forgot city of culture was on. should be a handy way to get to events to meet people. I took up dancing last year in UL alright as a non member but might call into the students union to see about the socs. website insist much help. defo think might look into the archery.

Im more of a weed man myself Nidgy.

I'm vaguely aware of the poetry readings but I never knew they'd an open mic night. I'm quite pleased to hear it!

For more info: https://www.facebook.com/acousticclubatwhitehouse?fref=ts

:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Actually, because yis are all Limerick heads here, is there a rivalry between LIT and UL, or is it just they leave each other alone? The sister's torn between courses in the two of them

I wouldn't say there's that much of a rivalry per se, it's more of an innate sense of snobbishness by UL students towards LIT students within UL. As in, if you ask any UL student their opinion of LIT, you'll likely be met with a sneering response.

But by and large the 3 colleges leave each other alone apart from RAG weeks and joint nights out.

Hmm...she's looking at music stuff down there, I was there for the day on Thursday. I reckon she'll be going to LIT

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Hmm...she's looking at music stuff down there, I was there for the day on Thursday. I reckon she'll be going to LIT

From what I hear, the music course in LIT is much more practical and hands-on than the one in UL. (I'm loath to say one is "better" than other because afaik, the content of each is not that similar). I know of a few people who were disappointed with the UL one because a lot of it seems to be theory based. So, if she's into the practical side of things then LIT might suit her better.

It sounds similar to the banter between NUIG AND GMIT which tends on verge on shameless snobbery on NUIG's part :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

It sounds similar to the banter between NUIG AND GMIT which tends on verge on shameless snobbery on NUIG's part :pac:

Or TCD and every other college in the country

Damn gateless Trinners thinking theyre better than the rest of us *shakes fist*

Too soon?

Advertisement