Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I felt nothing for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

2 things i think that could make the show better -

1. Not to have Gervais
    2. Not to have Karl

Karl is just distracting and being himself and the same for Gervais.

The woman, Kerry Godliman, stole the show i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I thought this was good, if a little rushed. I couldn't really buy Gervais or Pilkington's characters but I enjoyed the concept. Would like to see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,204 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Was waiting for that. Show about a disabled person, cue outraged parents ranting in rags.

"I know what its really like, my son is disabled, this is vile and cynical" "PS, pick up my book in all good book stores"
    "Dont forget to buy next weeks daily mail to read the true story of "Derek" the disabled kid who lives in a bin"

Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Gerty wrote: »
    2 things i think that could make the show better -

1. Not to have Gervais
    2. Not to have Karl

Karl is just distracting and being himself and the same for Gervais.

The woman, Kerry Godliman, stole the show i thought.

This 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I do agree that it's obvious gervais wrote this show cynically ...however the guy complaining clearly hasn't seen the show

I do agree that it's obvious gervais wrote this show cynically ...however the guy complaining clearly hasn't seen the show

Agreed. It was telling that Channel 4 billed 'Derek' as a 'comedy-drama', as if to forewarn the audience that it wouldn't be one big belly laugh.

That said, it was good to see Gervais actually giving the characters emotion and depth like 'The Office'. And I wouldn't say Pilkington was 'acting', simply his 'An Idiot Abroad' schtick with comedy hair (his own?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Wow that was cringe worthy... why on earth is he still doing this mockumentary schtick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Giruilla wrote: »
    Wow that was cringe worthy... why on earth is he still doing this mockumentary schtick!!

one trick pony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just watched this now and thought it was pretty good. The ending was really well done. There were a few times that were trying too hard to be funny(
    like falling in the pond
    ), but they don't last too long and are easily ignored.

For the most part, it feels more natural than his other shows. Probably because it's not desperately trying to be funny all the time, and lets the characters come across as more sympathetic and real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just watched this now not knowing what to expect.
    A really enjoyable and moving 25 minutes TV, the second half in particular was an absolute gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

humanji wrote: »
    For the most part, it feels more natural than his other shows. Probably because it's not desperately trying to be funny all the time, and lets the characters come across as more sympathetic and real.
    More natural than The Office? Gerrup outta that!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Karl Pilkington is the best part of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No suprise but..
    Ricky Gervais's controversial comedy Derek has been given a full series commission by Channel 4.

Based around the character of Derek Noakes (Gervais), the sitcom follows a "group of outsiders" who work at a retirement home. It stars Gervais's friend and Idiot Abroad star Karl Pilkington as the home's caretaker Dougie.

Noakes is a middle-aged "tender, innocent man", who has a passion for YouTube, Deal or No Deal and animals. The pilot episode focussed on Noake's relationship with care home worker Hannah (Kerry Godliman) and the death of one of the home's residents.

Derek will air a full series in 2013.

The series was considered controversial by some viewers, who claimed that despite Gervais's insistence otherwise, the Noakes character was mocking the disabled.
    Source: DS

Looking forward to more.. I really liked it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Basq wrote: »
    No suprise but..

Source: DS

Looking forward to more.. I really liked it!

I actually liked it too, apart from Derek falling in the pond then running naked. Hopefully a full series will help pace it out a bit more and resolve the need for stuff like that in each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Delighted to see this got the go ahead. I think it will give a realistic account of someone trying to get through life with this condition. I would find the likes of Forest Gump allot more objectionable than what Gervais is doing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just saw an ad for this, series starting 30th on Jan

Yep, can't wait for this!

Watched this making of last night.. hilarious - especially if you're a Pilkington fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Getting great reviews

New series begins this Wednesday at 10pm on Channel 4...http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derek

Just judging by the first episode of the new series..

I have to say.. it's been a long time since a comedy-drama (dramedy?) felt so refreshing.

It's very funny, and yet sad and uplifting in equal measures. That plus it's full of great performances.

Pilkington is bloody great in it too!

Oh, and some of the writing is sublime:

"If I'm autistic - would it change me? Would it kill me? Would I be a different person? 'No'... Then leave it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Seriously. What was that? Carl was the only decent thing about Derek & I barely managed a chuckle for that. Infact ill stop there. It aint worth the effort to type my opinion any further.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I thought the pilot was better overall but its still good. Derek refusing to be tested was brilliant. What would be the point of knowing? What difference would it make?

Well that's me sorted for Wednesday nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I really enjoyed it. Karl was great. Loved the comment about throwing the neighbours wife in the skip.

Think I'll series link it on sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Really enjoyed it. The pet therapy aspect was sweet. Good to see Karl try his hand at acting, he's excellent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Watching this again.
    Not sure what to make of it tbh.
    Wondering where it's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I think this is excellent. Funny yet endearing. Really looking forward to next episode. Gervais has done it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's good, I enjoyed it, but something about it does feel a little safe. Whereas The Office had heart without ever being sentimental, this comes across a little too strong in trying to elicit emotion, eg the sad piano music.

I think they should have focused more on the humour, and the interplay of the characters, and been a bit more subtle in their message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Must watch this. Is Karl playing Karl!? I think it would have been great to turn the tables by having Ricky play an idiot and Karl a relatively normal chap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Agricola wrote: »
    Must watch this. Is Karl playing Karl!? I think it would have been great to turn the tables by having Ricky play an idiot and Karl a relatively normal chap!

Ricky is playing an idiot but a kind, warm hearted idiot. Karl is just Karl from an idiot abroad which is weird but funny at the same time.

nbar12 wrote: »
    Ricky is playing an idiot but a kind, warm hearted idiot. Karl is just Karl from an idiot abroad which is weird but funny at the same time.

Karl's character is very different though. I think as the series progresses he will deviate a lot from his previous "roles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

just watched the first epsiode, enjoyed Karls character but Gervais is awful.
    I might try another one or 2 and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Tadpole Hitler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On tonight

Didn't make much of that episode to be honest. A bit too much music along with montages considering its only 25 mins long

Grimebox wrote: »
    Didn't make much of that episode to be honest. A bit too much music along with montages considering its only 25 mins long
    Yeah.. agreed!

Also, the chavvy probation worker with the heart of gold was more than a bit clichéd.

To be honest, I would have preferred it if they went the other way and although she warmed to those in the home, she still saw it as just community service.. and didn't go back after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelungs

I for one think it is very good... too many people started watching expecting it to be along the lines of Office/Extras...... it goes far beyond that. Ricky’s acting is excellent, its only funny in a sweet non derogatory way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ALOT of people kissing Gervais arse on twitter... People saying they have watched an episode 3 or 4 times. Nonsense. It aint that good and its hard to sit through 1 episode never mind watching it twice.

What relevance to the character is it that Gervais has to put on that face anyway?

Im a huge fan of the office,extras,his stand ups AIA... Etc... But this Derek is brutal. And hes saying its the best piece of work he has done in his opinion....

Not me..

ALOT of people kissing Gervais arse on twitter... People saying they have watched an episode 3 or 4 times. Nonsense. It aint that good and its hard to sit through 1 episode never mind watching it twice.

What relevance to the character is it that Gervais has to put on that face anyway?

Im a huge fan of the office,extras,his stand ups AIA... Etc... But this Derek is brutal. And hes saying its the best piece of work he has done in his opinion....

Not me..

I worked with people with autism for a while and the vast majority of them have ticks like this

• Advertisement

Much better this week IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

squonk wrote: »
    More of the same for Gervaise. Crappy comedy with an A lister (Connery) thrown in so you can watch the thing without feeling completely cheated. The Office was genuinely brilliant but everything else since then has been rubbish. I wish he'd go away at this point.

Can't agree....Extras was brill and Derek is a hoot .I bet if you give them a chance they'll grow on you.....and I dislike Gervais in person but he's a clever sod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 94Conor

Karl's character is funny. Ricky's character is just uncomfortable to watch... he plays the character terribly imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Immense episode tonight. Gervais is nearing Office-like levels at times - unflinchingly blending the drama and comedy. Tonight was the best-rounded for both since the pilot.

When Derek said, "I'd rather be sad so others wouldn't have to," I let out a big man sob. Karl is excellent at dressing down people too ("**** off! It's not as if you need the jewellery anyway, Mr T!").

On a serious note, the show also gets across its point well without lecturing the audience either, which would be easy to do. Gervais doesn't always get it right, but when he does it's in a different league to most television drama/comedy we see today.

Between that and Monday's Black Mirror, that's twice I've been blown away by British TV in a few days.

I really enjoyed this last night. I found myself laughing at the not so obvious jokes throughout. My favourite bit had to be when Derek came in asking for some McDonalds almost immediately.

The biggest problem I have is that alcoholic guy. I don't get him at all. You can predict what he's going to say and when he's going to come in.

I was expecting an applause after Dougie's speech, was that in the pilot? It seemed very familiar

I was expecting an applause after Dougie's speech, was that in the pilot? It seemed very familiar
    Yep, thought it the same.

It might have been in the 'Making Of' either... did you watch that as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He gave a similar enough speech to the council people when they took away funding?

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, thought it the same.

It might have been in the 'Making Of' either... did you watch that as well?

There are very few Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington related stuff I haven't seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Massive Gervais fan.... Office, Extras, Standups, podcasts but I just can't get into this. I wanted to like it but I just can't. It's kind of depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Shane St. wrote: »
    Massive Gervais fan.... Office, Extras, Standups, podcasts but I just can't get into this. I wanted to like it but I just can't. It's kind of depressing

Im a fan myself but I cant even bring myself to watch the 2nd and 3rd episode. Its pure tat. Someone mentioned earlier that he receives alot of praise on twitter but Ricky doesn't re-tweet the neg comments.

Advertisement