Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The kid hasn't done anything wrong. All she's done is confirmed that there's a young Talia in the film and that she's playing her. The parents of another young actress who auditioned for the part revealed the same months ago. The spoiler isn't that Talia is in the film, it's that Cotillard is playing her. But of course, we all know she anyway. It's about the worst kept secret ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Nolan should hire Christian Bale to shout at the girl who spilled the beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Nolan should hire Christian Bale to shout at the girl who spilled the beans.

and hire Barbabra Streisand for a live version of the musical rant.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the kimono a few months back was enough to give away who Cotillard is playing in fairness, with such a back catalogue of source material to draw on its not that much of a stretch to figure out some of the plot elements by the characters that are in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mellor wrote: »
    In what way?

In terms of writing a good plot that involves a multitude of the characters and even hired familiar voice actors.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Just read that Christian Bale broke up a fight between two homeless people over christmas. Clearly the role of Batman is getting to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

In terms of writing a good plot that involves a multitude of the characters and even hired familiar voice actors.

Dont see the point in that, Nolans main aim was approaching this in a realistic fashion, not copy the animated series, Nolans version of Batman differs quite a bit from that of the animated series. He doesn't need to have every villain in his films, what would be the point of that?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Dont see the point in that, Nolans main aim was approaching this in a realistic fashion, not copy the animated series, Nolans version of Batman differs quite a bit from that of the animated series. He doesn't need to have every villain in his films, what would be the point of that?

Well his realistic fashion has shot wide of the mark a few times and my point was largely about the calibre of story those writers were able to write.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True; the video-games had taken most people by surprised by not only being a good game (the licence being a poisoned chalice in the past), but a good Batman story & legitimate alt-universe for the franchise.

Having said that, I don't agree the games represent anything good in terms of characterisation or dialogue. The plot was nicely paced (though the recent sequel lacked the same punch), but I found the dialogue to be beyond woeful - laughably bad in fact.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Having said that, I don't agree the games represent anything good in terms of characterisation or dialogue. The plot was nicely paced (though the recent sequel lacked the same punch), but I found the dialogue to be beyond woeful - laughably bad in fact.

Hmmm....off hand I can't say Batmans dialogue left any sort of impression on me, good or bad. But I thought the Jokers was spot on, even brilliant in parts.

Well his realistic fashion has shot wide of the mark a few times and my point was largely about the calibre of story those writers were able to write.

The stories they wrote were set in a different version of batman, different parameters set etc, example being we get a good insight into how Bruce Wayne became batman in Nolans world, in the animated series we never get that, its addressed in the comics but not in the same way as Nolan did.

Obviously the "realistic fashion" takes into account how he gets his suit, its function, how he gets his gadgets etc, its still a bloke running around in a suit dressed like a bat, so its as real as it will get in the Hollywood sense, its not a documentary.

In relation to the story, I don't think Nolan and Goyers are in anyway weaker to that in the animated series, its harder to compare it to the comics/graphic novels as its a different medium to work in, and in a comic/graphic novel you have no time constraints as you do in a film, but compared to the animated series I think its equally if not better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm....off hand I can't say Batmans dialogue left any sort of impression on me, good or bad. But I thought the Jokers was spot on, even brilliant in parts.
    Yes, I should have added the caveat that the Joker's lines (and the performance of Mark Hammill) were great, but everything else was just so ... godawful. Leaving-Cert essay bad.
    Now, admittedly I have just recently finished Arkham City, which managed to plumb new depths for excrement-as-dialogue, so perhaps I'm being harsh in hindsight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The stories they wrote were set in a different version of batman, different parameters set etc, example being we get a good insight into how Bruce Wayne became batman in Nolans world, in the animated series we never get that, its addressed in the comics but not in the same way as Nolan did.

Obviously the "realistic fashion" takes into account how he gets his suit, its function, how he gets his gadgets etc, its still a bloke running around in a suit dressed like a bat, so its as real as it will get in the Hollywood sense, its not a documentary.

In relation to the story, I don't think Nolan and Goyers are in anyway weaker to that in the animated series, its harder to compare it to the comics/graphic novels as its a different medium to work in, and in a comic/graphic novel you have no time constraints as you do in a film, but compared to the animated series I think its equally if not better.

Arguably a lot of the comics themselves don't even take place in the same bat universe. Batman: Year One, The Long Holloween etc are very different to some of the more supernatural orientated storylines.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Arguably a lot of the comics themselves don't even take place in the same bat universe. Batman: Year One, The Long Holloween etc are very different to some of the more supernatural orientated storylines.

Thats a good point, the Batman stories are or can be set in whatever universe they want, in the same way that some of the novels have the joker as a weak and feeble villain and in some he has the strength to actually fight batman hand to hand.

In that regard I'm not comparing Nolans work to the animated series, but rather the story of the arkham asylum game, which has a solid plot, good cohesion and great pacing to boot. Three important elements that I felt weakened with Nolans progression to TDK.

• Advertisement

In that regard I'm not comparing Nolans work to the animated series, but rather the story of the arkham asylum game, which has a solid plot, good cohesion and great pacing to boot. Three important elements that I felt weakened with Nolans progression to TDK.

Not sure I agree with your point with the game, the dialogue is awful in it, its far too childish. To me thats the only thing that let it down really, other than that I enjoyed it.

I dont see any the game better, in relations to the points you made, to that of Nolans, both Begins and the Dark Knight had great pacing and to me held together very well, The Dark Knight is a more complex film in relation to Begins, the Joker is a far more intense character that Ra'as Al Ghul, and to be honest I thought TDK was the better film for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't see the point in comparing the movies to the games and/or series. The movie has to fit into a timeframe of 2-3 hours. Plus there's a limit of how many primary characters you can have without alienating people.
    Games and the series have a much longer frame, so they have more scope for a multitude of villains. Plus both game and series are dividing into episodes/chapters which characters easier to deal with.

Hasn't been much news about this lately, bar confirmation of Liam Neesons return :D

BatmanBubbleGirl-1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Hasn't been much news about this lately, bar confirmation of Liam Neesons return :D

BatmanBubbleGirl-1.png

there hasn't been any confirmation of that that i've heard of, you got a link?

I don't see the point in comparing the movies to the games and/or series. The movie has to fit into a timeframe of 2-3 hours. Plus there's a limit of how many primary characters you can have without alienating people.
    Games and the series have a much longer frame, so they have more scope for a multitude of villains. Plus both game and series are dividing into episodes/chapters which characters easier to deal with.

Yes, this has spiralled somewhat.
    The base point was that the game was a brilliantly written and well told story, that played out well and that TDK didn't tick all the boxes.

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    there hasn't been any confirmation of that that i've heard of, you got a link?

Well maybe not exactly a confirmation but he said he was on set.

Here http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Well maybe not exactly a confirmation but he said he was on set.

Here http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=53360

It will probably be a small role like Cillian Murphys appearance in the the dark knight at the very beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

has anyone a link to a decent version of the prologue? That slowed down version on YouTube is annoying. sesir thgink krad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

MJ23 wrote: »
    has anyone a link to a decent version of the prologue? That slowed down version on YouTube is annoying. sesir thgink krad.

Any versions of it would be taken down instantly from youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Some guys recreation of the music from the prologue.

Not bad :)

Fantastic. I just found a new song to take a dump to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

LighterGuy wrote: »

Some guys recreation of the music from the prologue.

Not bad :)

I have come to the conclusion that I enjoyed the prologue more than TDK, not that I don't like TDK, god I can't wait for this movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

whos do you think that is in the body bag in the trailer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

ricero wrote: »
    I'd take a guess at Ra's al Ghul, but it could be that doctor guy in the viral marketing campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Body bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I assume you mean the prologue rather than the trailer; and, does it really matter who it is?
    I think the point is that the burned / un-identifiable body will be checked for DNA, and they'll find the doctor's - and assume that he's dead. (Rather than Bane having him, which is the case...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

^ Ah right, that was a slightly naff moment in an otherwise fantastic prologue I have to say.

I assume you mean the prologue rather than the trailer; and, does it really matter who it is?
    I think the point is that the burned / un-identifiable body will be checked for DNA, and they'll find the doctor's - and assume that he's dead. (Rather than Bane having him, which is the case...)
    Did not think of that at all. That actually makes sense but is it plausible would it work In real life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Like the rest of the sequence, it's the kind of thing that would only be plausible in a Bond film. As we've discussed before, Nolan's films aren't realistic. He himself has described them as "heightened reality", which is movie talk for presenting unrealistic things in a believable way, i.e. verisimilitude.

Like the rest of the sequence, it's the kind of thing that would only be plausible in a Bond film. As we've discussed before, Nolan's films aren't realistic. He himself has described them as "heightened reality", which is movie talk for presenting unrealistic things in a believable way, i.e. verisimilitude.
    No I'm referring to the blood transfusion bit. Would it be possible that the coroners would think the dead body is dr pavel after the little blood transfusion. Is that plausible in real life ?

I very much doubt it; takes about 10 minutes just to extract the small amount the blood bank take from me - any more than that and people start to feel feint & is quite dangerous. The prologue had a few seconds of a quick tranfusion, which couldn't possibly have been enough.

Besides - without the heart pumping it around the body, surely transfusing blood into a dead corpse would just get very ... messy? Wouldn't the blood just swim around whatever arm you injected it in, leaving one very pink arm on an otherwise grey cadaver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If they extracted those exact cells of blood then it would show up as somebody elde.

However, that would never happen.
    For a start, there are plenty of other points of DNA check. I don't know if they'd even use blood as an option. If they did, they might find some of the transfused blood mixed i, but the original blood would be a massive majority.

But surely the fact they were putting it into a dead body meant a transfusion was utterly useless anyway - to me that have been the kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

For a start, there are plenty of other points of DNA check. I don't know if they'd even use blood as an option. If they did, they might find some of the transfused blood mixed i, but the original blood would be a massive majority.

Unless the substituted dead body was drained of blood completely before the rushed mid-air transfusion thus leaving only Dr. Pavel's blood available for checks. Also, with regard to the other DNA checks, it's possible that the body was so badly damaged (from the crash and/or explosion) that dental records and such would most likely be useless*.

*I'm not a medically certified professional, so this is all conjecture on my part:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

As mentioned already, I don't think it's meant to be realistic.

If you want a better explanation though; there's no reason whatsoever that the coroner / pathologist hired by G.C.P.D. can't be a member of the L.O.S., so knows which arm to specifically draw blood from; and "send off to the lab for analysis".

(For that matter, Lucius Fox didn't personally build the Tumbler; so what about the 100's of designers/architects/engineers/welders/mechanics who put it together in the first place? How come they didn't recognise their work driving around on the 6 o'clock news?)

I was just reading Michael Caine's recent comments about how secretive Nolan is. He said that for Batman Begins Nolan came to his house and sat with him while he read the script and then took it away. Caine thought it was a bit excessive. Kinda funny considering the whole script ended up being leaked online a year before the film came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I was just reading Michael Caine's recent comments about how secretive Nolan is. He said that for Batman Begins Nolan came to his house and sat with him while he read the script and then took it away. Caine thought it was a bit excessive. Kinda funny considering the whole script ended up being leaked online a year before the film came out.

Coincidently I happened to read the same a few minutes ago. Mind you, with Caine's apparent loose lips I can understand why Nolan didn't leave the script with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

any word on any new trailers or theatrical spots?

It'll probably be the summer for the second trailer. A month or two before release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I thought it was weird that they were trying to fake a plane crash yet the wings and tail fin had come cleanly off the plane many miles back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It'll probably be the summer for the second trailer. A month or two before release.

If you are talking about Trailer #2, that has been released for months now!

Anyway, Does anyone have windows media player to download and save trailer #2 of TDKR?

http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/#

You can save it on windows media player version 11 or 12 as well as saving it on Quicktime.

You click on the viewing options button and click on High Definition on either 480, 720 or 1080p. Standard Definition is not great quality IMO.

You can also download it on Flash Player as well.

The number of likes on is at 412,000 and RISING (If you pardon the expression!):)

If you are talking about Trailer #2, that has been released for months now!
    No, I meant the second proper trailer. There's usually a teaser and two trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm guessing if they follow TDK's marketing then the 2nd trailer will be released around April.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'm guessing if they follow TDK's marketing.

Speaking of that, are there any new virals???

• Advertisement
Advertisement