Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Charm? - French Bulldogs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

andreac wrote: »
    Theres no need to post them, they mean nothing really. Is the pup microchipped even?
    I dont believe that pup was imported at all. Can you get details of this so called breeder in Lithuania and ask to contact them?
    I would almost guarantee if you start putting pressure on this guy he will start to get agitated and refuse to deal with you.

Why would he go to the trouble of importing a pup, knowing it was related to the sisters when he wasnt going to breed from it?? Also why would he pay to import and get no papers for this pup, it wouldnt pay him to do that as it costs a fortune to get pups across europe so i dont believe for a second this puppy was imported.

I was born in Lithuania myself and read the passport, the stamps and vaccines are legit as I got a few people to look at it. I was suspicious about his purity too, did suspect that there was a bit of a mix, as the coat pattern truly is unusual. What happened is, I came to the conclusion, is that he was bought from a different place (whatever is was) then the other two bitches that the guy bought for breeding, and now he probably realized its not pure so decided to get rid of him, makes sense to cover some costs?

All in all, I am aware this breed is health problematic, but wherever he came from he is not going back there, pure bread or not. I will try and come up with a decision (any input appreciated) on whether to insure him or get one of them programs if it exists in Ireland.

p.s very sorry to hear about that Labrador, I hope them friends of yours are can gather a few quid or find some way out to get the dog up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No question, insure him. Those programmes do not exist here. You will regret it if you dont insure him. I have my rotties insured and my female ruptured her cruciate last nov and the op would have cost nearly 2000 but she was insured so only cost me the excess of 90 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Off-topic posts deleted.

CruiseH - Every single post you have made on this site is pushing a discount program which does not exist in this country. Please familiarise yourself with the site rules in relation to spam and the forum charter in relation to pushing a personal agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

Anyone buying a Frenchie knows or should know that they are incredibly high maintenance, and very sensitive little things from allergies to heatstroke. 90% of the time they are perfectly fine if bred properly but you will always get the one who ended up with all the bad luck. Getting through puppyhood with them is the hardest part crazyfeet, but also one of the most rewarding, as with alldogs really. Frenchies are very stubborn and will try to get away with murder, so set the rules early on and stick to them, despite the big brown eyes!

They do think they are human, and will want to do everything you do. My guy thinks he pays the mortgage, he's only short of having dinner at the table with us.

Once they get into the habit of something its very hard to change their minds. they also thrive on routine, so knowing when its dinner time and bed time etc will keep the anxiety levels down as they know what to expect. Frenchies really are little worry worts, not in the whiney sence but they are very nosey and like to be apart of everything you do, which is what is so loveable about them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

SaleAgreed wrote: »
    Either way, what's done is done. Cooper has a loving home now. I know how hard it is when you just want a lil puppy so bad, its so hard to walk away from their cute little faces.

+ 1.

Cooper is an adorable little guy , I really don't know enough about the breed to comment on his ' purity ' or parentage but he sounds to be in a good home and I guess that is really the important thing.

I can't wait to see what he will be like when he grows up, but for now just enjoy the puppy-hood. I was looking at frenchie pics and there is one pure Celtic breed, with the same color pattern as Coop! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3231960522339&set=t.1379375690&type=3&theater
    so they do come with such pattern, not just Boston t's

Yea never stick the nose in the mess. If he toilets in the house, say nothing and clean it up, he will catch on that going outside ends in cuddles and going in the house dosn't. If you catch him in the act in the house just say nothing and pick him up and bring him out, even if he is finished or finishes on the way out to the door...

That food or anything that you can buy in the supermarket, is basically the eqivalent of feeding a child McDonalds everyday, Ive tried pretty much most of the big name brands to no avail, not that there is anything wrong with them, they just didnt suit my lil guy. I'm not sure if I can name the brand I use or where I get it on here? but it's very good stuff, with quality ingredients and at a reasonable price compared to the heavily marketed brands.

I love the photo on the other thread, he's gorgeous.

Yea never stick the nose in the mess. If he toilets in the house, say nothing and clean it up, he will catch on that going outside ends in cuddles and going in the house dosn't. If you catch him in the act in the house just say nothing and pick him up and bring him out, even if he is finished or finishes on the way out to the door...

That food or anything that you can buy in the supermarket, is basically the eqivalent of feeding a child McDonalds everyday, Ive tried pretty much most of the big name brands to no avail, not that there is anything wrong with them, they just didnt suit my lil guy. I'm not sure if I can name the brand I use or where I get it on here? but it's very good stuff, with quality ingredients and at a reasonable price compared to the heavily marketed brands.

I love the photo on the other thread, he's gorgeous.

Thank you for sharing this information with me, as freshly baked dog owner I've been completely blinded with high rolling brand names thinking that is the stuff.

As always I have questions again, I did read that they eat chicken and turley PARTS (90% of their diet is protein), but which exactly? is it ok to give them the skin (boiled?) So bar i've been giving him pieces of boiled chicken, he absolutely explodes with joy when gets it, please let me know what else is good for them to eat, what not, I do try to read all about it but it is fairly hard to absorb and process all the blog information sometimes. Kind regards, Anton

I'm not bashing the big brand dog foods, they just simply didn't agree with my lad, he's incredibly high maintenance lol. I've pm'd you the food I use, nothing wrong with a bit plain chicken as a treat! But be careful of too much protein while he is growing as everything needs to grow at the same pace, so if his diet is jam packed with protein his muscles will grow to fast and his skeleton won't keep up, leading to joint issues etc. a good balanced diet with the odd treat and you'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 onegrandplan

Someone selling a pedigree dog for 1/3+ the price they go for through reputable breeders would raise significant alarms with me. I'm not sure about the purity of the dog you got, but at least it's healthy and vet checked and is in a loving home now. Looks like a great pup and I'm sure you'll have a great life together.

I just wouldn't recommend people go the cheap route when buying dogs that cost a bomb for very particular reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP, I would agree with the other posters that your dog is not a French Bulldog or at least not a purebred one. Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification. Therefore there's no way this dog was going to be used for breeding. I'm not having a go, but I do not understand why anyone would spend 650 euro on a dog when they don't even know what colour it's supposed to be.

Magenta wrote: »
    OP, I would agree with the other posters that your dog is not a French Bulldog or at least not a purebred one. Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification. Therefore there's no way this dog was going to be used for breeding. I'm not having a go, but I do not understand why anyone would spend 650 euro on a dog when they don't even know what colour it's supposed to be.[/Quote

Magenta, pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK. They are heavily bred from as it is a desired colour for show and pet homes alike. It is the formation of the coat here that is the giveaway, normally you will see pied as black or brindle patches on the back as opposed to an even blanket, along with the lack of nose ropes and obviously the ears in this case.

Magenta, pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK. They are heavily bred from as it is a desired colour for show and pet homes alike. It is the formation of the coat here that is the giveaway, normally you will see pied as black or brindle patches on the back as opposed to an even blanket, along with the lack of nose ropes and obviously the ears in this case.

Sorry, but if you read the UK breed standard, it says "PIED: white predominates over brindle. Whites are classified with pieds for show purposes; but
    their eyelashes and eye rims should be black. In pieds the white should be clear with definite
    brindle patches and no ticking or black spots." The OP's dog is not Pied, he is not predominantly white and has no brindle, it is black and white, not white with brindle patches- it specifically says "no black spots" let alone the dog being mostly black. The dog visibly does not meet the breed standard. If he is a pied, he's a very mismarked one (though his markings are still lovely!). Hence why I don't buy the breeder saying that he intended to breed from him.

Magenta wrote: »

Sorry, but if you read the UK breed standard, it says "PIED: white predominates over brindle. Whites are classified with pieds for show purposes; but
    their eyelashes and eye rims should be black. In pieds the white should be clear with definite
    brindle patches and no ticking or black spots." The OP's dog is not Pied, he is not predominantly white and has no brindle, it is black and white, not white with brindle patches- it specifically says "no black spots" let alone the dog being mostly black. The dog visibly does not meet the breed standard. If he is a pied, he's a very mismarked one (though his markings are still lovely!). Hence why I don't buy the breeder saying that he intended to breed from him.

I never said he was pied, I said that the blanket of black/brindle on the back was the giveaway

I never said he was pied, I said that the blanket of black/brindle on the back was the giveaway

I said " Black and white is not listed as an acceptable colour in the breed standard of any country I've looked at- the AKC standard dictates this colour as a disqualification" and you replied "pied is a very common colour in French Bulldogs, they are disqualified from showing in the US but not here or UK". I didn't bring up Pied dogs, you did. It was completely irrelevant to me talking about regular black and white dogs like the OP's unless you decided the OP's dog was pied and were trying to defend it accordingly.

• Advertisement

You're right, totally irrelevant

ok, after getting a few replies from other dog owners (thank you all) we and Coop decided to go for Allianz!
    now we need just one advice, what to put down as excess?
    excess insurance cost per month
    75e - 22e
    100e - 19,5e
    300e - 16.5e

http://www.allianz.ie/Blog/Pet-Health-Insurance.1184.shortcut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

The excess is what you pay out of a claim if you have to make one as far as I know. So it really just depends how much you can afford to pay out of a claim. That's why the premium goes down as the excess goes up.

Oh and Cooper is even more lovely in real life than in the pics and videos!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

crazyFeet wrote: »
    ok, after getting a few replies from other dog owners (thank you all) we and Coop decided to go for Allianz!
    now we need just one advice, what to put down as excess?
    excess insurance cost per month
    75e - 22e
    100e - 19,5e
    300e - 16.5e

http://www.allianz.ie/Blog/Pet-Health-Insurance.1184.shortcut.html

Do Allianz offer excess of €75 per claim? I thought it was €100?

Millem wrote: »

they do yes, 75 - 300, was checking it today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

crazyFeet wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

they do yes, 75 - 300, was checking it today!

Ok cool, I knew it used to be €75 in 2010 but they had since increased it to €100. I would go for the lower excess for sure
    As long as it covers €4000 worth of fees.

A little update couple weeks as we got Cooper. He is 6kg now and 3.75 months, no problems so far, he is quite a clever little lad with an interesting character :) He seems to be developing and looking quite as a proper frenchie, however i wouldn't know the specifics of the rules they are usually being jundged by
    P1050023.jpg
    P1050042.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, he's beautiful!! Lovely dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Congrats great looking dog. His face Reminds me of Marv from Tron Legacy, although Marv was a Boston Terrier.

Well, Cooper is 4 months and a week now, he seems to do the business every time we bring him out (4-5 times a day, 2 minutes away from the apartment). We take him to sleep with us as it is easier for us to wake up together and go outside straight away, when we leave him in the kitchen for the night he just goes everywhere then. Is he still not able to control his bladder properly or just doesn't understand it? He pied on the couch today (first time ever) and i'm really pissed off, don't want to snap at him like i did today, please advice, any...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Crate train OP

Cooper's still a baby, so his bladder control won't be great.

Another suggestion is to watch for triggers, then take him outside. With mine, when he slept, ate, woke up, played, we took him out to do his business. When he peed, we said 'wee wee', and when he did a poop, we said poo, poo. Soon, he learnt to pee on command, which is useful. Last thing at night, I take him out and tell him to 'do his wees'. He does it, and generally we get a quiet night!

When he 'performed', he was praised like mad when he got in. Within two weeks, he'd got the idea, and was dry as in he didn't do his business in the house.

Hope this helps!

ok, cooper is 6 months now and 9kg weight, and growing :) toilet problems fade away shortly after the last post, as soon as we moved to our new big house and he got used to having the privacy of the back garden :) started obedience training couple weeks ago (full blast this time) and he is doing very well, no sleeping in bed, feeding time and command to wait till allowed to go for it, stay etc etc... it is a joy to bring him anywhere with us, very patient and obedient, all friends and family are more happy to see him at the door than us at this stage :rolleyes:
    523958_4341688219446_1507565219_n.jpg

Cooper looks great! I love his ears...

Advertisement