Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

MSAP!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sara1

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

it would be very interesting to know if anybody had an idea of how many people actually sit this test every year on average.

PS to sarah 1 ,the arts course is probably the easiest of all to get into because of the sheer numbers they take so id definately think youll be grand, youd be in troulble all right if you had anything alse as number 1 as social work has the next highest intake around 30 matures and they must have experience followed by social science 20 childhood studies 15 phys ed 10 and psychology 5,roughly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sul

I was in touch with admissions in UCD and was told that anything over 100 will definitely be considered for Arts. Ive applied for Arts there and in NUI Galway so fingers crossed I have enough in 108 points. I dont think % has much to do with it. I think it just gives you a rough idea of how well you did compared to everyone else. I sat the exam in Dublin and there was about 3 to 4 hundred people there. I think there was 3 centres so maybe 1200 or 1300 people did the exam? Thats my estimate anyway I could be completely wrong!!
    Anyway its out of my hands now so just going to hope for the best. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheOnion

Aquila, the MSAP (Mature Student Access Pathway) is an exam that mature students are required to sit in order to gain entry to certain universities in Ireland.

It's a 2 part exam. The first section requires you to write 2 short essays in response to prompts. The second section is a series of multiple choice questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

TheOnion wrote: »
    I sat the exam in Cork and I'm awful at gauging amounts of people or distances, but I reckon there were about 140ish people there....so sounds like there was only 550-700 people doing the test nationwide?

I'm delighted with my result anyway and can't wait for UCC in September :) yeeha! Such a relief to know my brains are still in working order!

Best of luck to everybody anyway :) and I reckon there will be a lot of happy campers if there were so few of us taking the test this year, and therefore less competition for the places available :)

There were 4 test centers in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

wow just read mine there i had no idea my essay skills were so bad!!! i got below 30 percentile :( and 55 on the critical reasoning. my essays really let me down :( my overall percentile was 35. good bye college place
    Sorry to hear that Badger- it's a tough process! I did a part time diploma to get my essays and skills up to speed, it paid off for me in the MSAP... Don't give up on your dreams, just keep swimmin' and find another way!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

Aquila wrote: »
    What kind of essays are you asked to write?
    2 thirty min essays- one on a 'public affairs' topic, such as censorship, environmental rights, nothing you can study, just got to give arguments for and against the topic and present your own thoughts. 2nd is a personal opinion , this year it was about heroes and people you admire, the sample test was on friendship. It's not the topics but how you approach it. The second hour is a series of passages: literature, social sciences, environmental etc with multiple choice questions on comprehension and reasoning, there isn't much time to get through it so you have about a minute per passage. Then you have to stress for 6 weeks for results! I think it's a better process than just an application form though, as it's based on aptitude and ability, not just an interview or an admissions tutor reading an application form and shortlisting based on unknown criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

hi guys,doing a project for college, could you please hit the link and fill in the questionnaire, thanks, http://obsurvey.com/s2.aspx?id=35F100E5-5195-43F5-B69B-5D0F55A9E38E

Dunner1 wrote: »
    hi guys,doing a project for college, could you please hit the link and fill in the questionnaire, thanks, http://obsurvey.com/s2.aspx?id=35F100E5-5195-43F5-B69B-5D0F55A9E38E

Have you ok'd it with the mods ? If not it might cause you some hassle also I feel you should create a seperate thread for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ronano

where are you getting the percentile? i checked thread but couldn't see any links to check. My cao hasnbt updated with it and i've never received a letter. Congrats to everyone :)

MSAP send you an email with a link attached ,you then use your exam number that you got on your msap registration letter to log in.

steoin wrote: »

Have you ok'd it with the mods ? If not it might cause you some hassle also I feel you should create a seperate thread for it.
    sorry now for my ignorance but what are mods and how do I create a thread? This is all new to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Hey everyone:)
    Did you guys get the percentile yet....I just have the scores but no percentile.
    I received a letter from Trinity yesterday to say I have an interview for their Psychology course so I am extremely happy about that as competition was tough but for UCC and UCD I am told you need to get 90 or over percentile to be in with a chance...??

sorry now for my ignorance but what are mods and how do I create a thread? This is all new to me!!

Sorry mod is short for Moderator and their task is to uphold the rules of the forum they moderate im not sure if you need permission in this specific forum it hasn't been locked so your probably ok

& to create a new thread, on the top left hand side of the list of threads it has a button new thread select that. see attached.
    New thread.png

Hey everyone:)
    Did you guys get the percentile yet....I just have the scores but no percentile.
    I received a letter from Trinity yesterday to say I have an interview for their Psychology course so I am extremely happy about that as competition was tough but for UCC and UCD I am told you need to get 90 or over percentile to be in with a chance...??

You get the percentile score in the email from MSAP if you follow the link and enter your detail from what i have gathered your weighed score needs to be around 125 to be in the 90th percentile.
    And best of luck with the interview.

steoin wrote: »

Sorry mod is short for Moderator and their task is to uphold the rules of the forum they moderate im not sure if you need permission in this specific forum it hasn't been locked so your probably ok

& to create a new thread, on the top left hand side of the list of threads it has a button new thread select that. see attached.
    New thread.png
    That's cool thanks a million for that!!

just wondering if your second or third choice on the cao requires an interview will you be called for it or will you not because its not your first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

After a long time out of education I am delighted with my results.

Written English 133 scaled score, 92nd percentile
    Critical Reasoning 114 scaled score, 78th percentile
    Overall scaled score 124 and overall 89th percentile

I have not stopped smiling.

Thanks Steoin:)

Checked my email and it was there, didn't seem to come through on my phone:/ got 108 so not quite high enough for the 90 percentile but maybe with my personal statement, they will offer me an interview.
    Fingers crossed for Trinity though, I don't think they go by the MSAP as I sat a seperate aptitude test for there, obviously did better in that to be called for an interview...well please about that as out of 85 people they said they call 10 for an interview....I hope nerves don't get the better of me on the day:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

auskid wrote: »
    just wondering if your second or third choice on the cao requires an interview will you be called for it or will you not because its not your first choice

I've just come out of an interview for my 4th choice, and there was no mention of why it was only 4th on the list.

Hey Anfield:)

Was your interview at Trinity....what was it like, any tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Hey Anfield:)

Was your interview at Trinity....what was it like, any tips would be greatly appreciated:)

yeah it was trinity. they were very friendly, just asked me why i felt i needed to pursue the course at college level rather than on my own time, what aspects of the course were of particular interest to me, how i felt i'd cope with a workload that can include 20,000 word essays, what authors i've been reading and if there were any aspects of the course i thought might be particularly challenging. listen, i don't know how much time you have before your interview, but one thing that they asked me and i was stumped on was "are there any members of the lecturing staff who's work you're particularly interested in" or something to that effect, so maybe have a quick browse online for some info...fair play, i know a couple of people who got knocked back from psychology.it's really tough to even get to interview stage, so well done.

thanks so much for that Anfield...it's great to hear from somebody who has been through the process already:) I hope yours went well and you get a place...I have until the 24th so I will read up a bit about the lecturers and the research they are doing, I have done a bit of that already but I will try find some relating to the lecturers for my course....I think the most important thing is being yourself and showing that you are the kind of person they would want at the college, focused, enthusiastic etc...I hope so anyway lol did you dress casual or formal?

thanks so much for that Anfield...it's great to hear from somebody who has been through the process already:) I hope yours went well and you get a place...I have until the 24th so I will read up a bit about the lecturers and the research they are doing, I have done a bit of that already but I will try find some relating to the lecturers for my course....I think the most important thing is being yourself and showing that you are the kind of person they would want at the college, focused, enthusiastic etc...I hope so anyway lol did you dress casual or formal?

I'm in for law on the 24th and a friend of mine thinks I should dress a bit more formally for that, today was fairly casual...there was a couple of others waiting to do interviews and they were casual too.psychology...hmm, not sure...you have to assume they, of all people, will analyse everything you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poly.anna

yeah it was trinity. they were very friendly, just asked me why i felt i needed to pursue the course at college level rather than on my own time, what aspects of the course were of particular interest to me, how i felt i'd cope with a workload that can include 20,000 word essays, what authors i've been reading and if there were any aspects of the course i thought might be particularly challenging. listen, i don't know how much time you have before your interview, but one thing that they asked me and i was stumped on was "are there any members of the lecturing staff who's work you're particularly interested in" or something to that effect, so maybe have a quick browse online for some info...fair play, i know a couple of people who got knocked back from psychology.it's really tough to even get to interview stage, so well done.

I have two interviews for Trinity next week and week after- on Mature Student entry...but I feel my percentile is very low at 84. When I look at some other scores from other locations like Cork and how they were translated to percentile , my score seems lower than it should be by two percentile .. but I am delighted to get any interview here as I applied in previous years and was unsuccessful. I read what I could on lecturing staff to know what their own disciplines and research areas are currently and past, as it is easy to find this online. Reading over the modules is also good grounding but I am very nervous - actually cried when I got the letter :)Good luck to everyone - even if you don't get a call this year or don't get through the interview selections it is valuable experience - go away 'evaluate' don't be disheartened and try again.

Hey Poly.anna,
    Well done on getting the interview....I have one for psychology too:):) Are you referring to your MSAP score being too low because I don't think Trinity go on that, they have a seperate aptitude test. My MSAP wasn't great either so I don't know whether I will get an interview with UCD or UCC but obviously my Trinity test was good as I got an interview with them....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poly.anna

Hey Poly.anna,
    Well done on getting the interview....I have one for psychology too:):) Are you referring to your MSAP score being too low because I don't think Trinity go on that, they have a seperate aptitude test. My MSAP wasn't great either so I don't know whether I will get an interview with UCD or UCC but obviously my Trinity test was good as I got an interview with them....

Hi Holly - My interview is for Theology :) I went back over some of the conversions from other posters who took MSAP exam in Cork and Dublin and wondered why my percentile was not a little higher - like 2 - 4 % to bring it over at least 85. I wanted about 90 as a respectable Mature 're entry'. Good Luck with your interview ! I have no idea what to expect in this interview and seem to recall that it may be followed by a second ? I have Eng Lit interview on 18th aswell but as its half the TSM I suppose I have to get Theology or forfeit the second subject too.Back to notes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Checho

I'm in for law on the 24th and a friend of mine thinks I should dress a bit more formally for that, today was fairly casual...there was a couple of others waiting to do interviews and they were casual too.psychology...hmm, not sure...you have to assume they, of all people, will analyse everything you do!

Hi Anfield bound...! I have an interview for psychology on the 24th, I was looking for info through the posts. I posted another thread somewhere else as well but I'm new in boards.ie and I'm a bit lost :-P
    Thanks a lot for the info you shared, it's very useful, and of course good luck, I wish you got a place....!
    I have some other questions if you don't mind:
    Did they ask you about how you would support yourself financially? did they seem concerned about that?
    who were the interviewers?
    Was it long?...
    Thanks a million, honestly!

Advertisement